PDA

View Full Version : ** SPAM *** Payment To Facebook Ireland, Ltd.: Pending

harden
13-Jun-12, 17:51
looking for info to see if this is a con and if so warn others i have recieved an email saying money was tried to be taken off paypal for zinga face book ireland .will paste the email...A payment of 37,14 gbp was made from your PayPal account to Facebook Ireland, Ltd. for zynga poker chips.

If you don't want to authorize this purchase, login as soon as possible to confirm your account ownership by entering the financial information requested.

We will cancel the payment and you will receive your refund.

Request Refund (http://cshelp.meetingbridge.com/whdata/secure/index.html)

PayPal takes the safety of your account, business and financial data as seriously as you do.

Your patience and efforts increase security for our entire community of users.

Regards,

Paypal Security Department.has anyone else had this as when u go to link to stop payment they ask for all ur bank details so if u have recieved this also plz let us know and il hand it to police to deal with as it sound doggy to me ...

Dialyser
13-Jun-12, 18:03
Of course it sounds dodgy. If you want to be sure, log into your paypal account from your own trusted link and view your recent transactions.

chaz
13-Jun-12, 18:11
I had this one twice in two days, reported it to paypal

George Brims
13-Jun-12, 19:24
I got one of these earlier this week over in California. It's a world-wide thing. If you're ever suspicious about an email that asks you to log in and check or verify something, NEVER EVER do it via the links they give you. They're the trap. I knew mine was fake because the product was a golf club. Now if it had been a fishing rod, I might have suspected it was a Father's Day present!

Kodiak
13-Jun-12, 19:44
Send the whole e-mail to :-

spoof@paypal.co.uk

They will then look into this and inform you if it is a Con or not.

RecQuery
13-Jun-12, 20:29
Relevant thread on the Paypal community forums forums https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Refunds-and-cancellations/Facebook-Ireland-payments/td-p/157224

It's either a phishing attempted or they've guessed the password on your account, done some link hijacking or it's semi-legitimate with pre-approved payments, mostly likely for Zynga crap. If you know how to show all e-mail headers I can tell you if it's a complete fake or a legitimate e-mail and something else has gone wrong.

M R
13-Jun-12, 23:20
I am assuming you use facebook and zynga poker, I got this pop up on fb while playing poker and (to me) it's plainly obvious it's a con, it promises you it won't take any money but wants you to login to your paypal account to gain some chips ? just plain silly to think your getting something for nothing.........

Beat Bug
13-Jun-12, 23:54
I quite often get this sort of email. I know it's spam, as I get them on an email address I don't use for PayPal. I now have spoof@paypal.co.uk in my address book, and just forward the emails to them.

RecQuery
14-Jun-12, 08:06
I am assuming you use facebook and zynga poker, I got this pop up on fb while playing poker and (to me) it's plainly obvious it's a con, it promises you it won't take any money but wants you to login to your paypal account to gain some chips ? just plain silly to think your getting something for nothing.........

Basically pre-approved payments, they pre-authorise themselves with Paypal and if you should happen to click something that requires money they can just take it. I'm a gamer but Zynga/Facebook games just seem stupid to me anyway.

I can see this easily see this leading to dodgy people using it in a phishing scam to steal login details though, I expect there to be a couple of them out there already.

highlandglen
14-Jun-12, 15:14
The link in the O.P.s post appears to be live
It may be a good idea to kill it in case somebody clicks on it with unforseen consequences.
It sems to link to a hijacked server, which may contain malware?
Just a "heads up".

Geoff.

RecQuery
14-Jun-12, 17:39
The link in the O.P.s post appears to be live
It may be a good idea to kill it in case somebody clicks on it with unforseen consequences.
It sems to link to a hijacked server, which may contain malware?
Just a "heads up".

Geoff.

The link itself was already killed, there's nothing hosted there it just returns a 404.

M R
14-Jun-12, 21:05
I quite often get this sort of email. I know it's spam, as I get them on an email address I don't use for PayPal. I now have spoof@paypal.co.uk in my address book, and just forward the emails to them.

This doesn't' start with a spam email, this is encountered while on FB.....as most people should know by now, FB seems easily abused by hackers / phishing enthusiasts....

Granted, Zynga so called games are a pile of fish..

oldmarine
20-Jun-12, 00:51
A lot of this type of nonsence appears throughout the Internet. If it sounds too good to be true it's probably not.

luskentyre
20-Jun-12, 19:15
If you're in doubt, just hover (DON'T click) over the link and see what address the link is going to. Depending on what you're using, the address will either pop up by your cursor or above your Start button. In cases like these , the address is something unusual and nothing related to who they claim to be.

Another thing you can do is highlight the subject, copy it and paste it into Google (or Bing or whatever). You'll often find links to various discussions about the email. In this case there are lots of references, including the Paypal community website where they reveal it's a fake.