PDA

View Full Version : Home-on-holiday Wicker on drinks driving charge

Nwicker60
12-Jun-12, 13:33
Driver was more than three times over the limit

A WICK man, who was caught driving with more than three times the legal drinks limit while home on holiday, was fined £750 at Wick Sheriff Court today.
Daniel Sutherland, who has resided in St Helier, Jersey, for many years, was also banned for 18 months.
He appeared from custody and pleaded guilty. A test revealed a breath-alcohol reading of 107 micrograms-the legal limit is 35 micrograms.
The court was told that the 76-year-old had hired a car, yesterday, to visit some of his old haunts in his younger years in Caithness. Sutherland stopped to ask directions on the Staxigoe-Noss road but the woman he spoke to, formed the impression that he had been drinking and contacted the police.
Senior fiscal depute, David Barclay said that given the breath-alcohol level, the court was entitled to consider whether the car involved should be forefeit and at least impounded if a forfeit decision was delayed.
Solicitor Jo MacDonald said that as person who had served as an honorary or special police officer for 17 years, Sutherland should have known better not to drive, having taken alcohol.
The accused had arrived home on a week-long visit to see a relative, in the town he had left in 1957.
Ms MacDonald said that when she visited Sutherland at the police station he became "extremely tearful and remorseful".
She continued: "He is clearly embarrassed and extremely upset and wishes to apologise unreservedly to the court."
Turning to the accused health problems, Miss MacDonald said that Sutherland, a first offender, had had three scares recently, including a thrid heart attack and a triple by-pass operation.
The solicitor continued: "The doctor has indicated that his life expectancy has been significantly reduced. Things are extremely difficult for my client. He was recently widowed and has indicated to me, that he has very little to live for."
Passing sentence, Honorary Sheriff Farquhar Macgregor told Sutherland: "You probably don't need me to tell you how tragic it is for you to appear before me. Having served the police service, you should be well aware of your responsibility in relation to drinking an driving."
The court didn’t forfeit or impound the car, in view of the fact it was a hired vehicle.