PDA

View Full Version : A Trip Down Memory Lane - The Sheiling Bar Thurso

the nomad
24-Nov-06, 10:20
It's Friday, and as an ex Thurso pat who left the county of Caithness this year, to pastures new, I'm feeling a bit nostalgic.

Who out there remembers the Sheiling Bar in Thurso?

I frequented this place for years and I'm sure did some serious damage to my liver, between that and the Comm bar downstairs.

Many a lock in and very found memories.

Pat and Ellis behind the bar, George Sutherland owner of both Sheiling and Comm. Poor old George not with us know sadly missed an absolute Gentleman.

I remember on one occasion a shift worker leaving the Comm in the morning to catch the early shift bus outside, he was absolutely pie eyed, changed days now.

Lock ins were great, age rage was wide and the crack was excellent.

Quiet a few parties too.

Underage drinking...tolerated within reason, but not for the ladies i'm afraid.

Juke Box was varied but Motorhead Ace of Spades blarred out, as it was considered a rockers bar initially, however all good natured individuals with a love for life were welcome.

Drugs.....not a good idea, first time I saw George really angry, promptly turfed them out and barred for life.

Zero policy on troublemakers, no names but they just weren't allowed in, with a few exceptions.

Most memorable moment, one Saturday afternoon having a few pints and a burnt toastie (Pat always burnt them), with a bowl of soup. George appeared, we fancied an afternoon of crack, he handed me the keys and said I can either lock up when finished or open for evening session, the trust was amazing and we always paid when due.

Any other orgers have stories on this bar.

iain
24-Nov-06, 11:03
Course i remember,lived in there for years,just about.Was one of the Sheiling MCC,so it was a "rockers"pub.Remember the mallet? We used to get drinks from George when we returned from rallies with a trophy or three.Both side of the street used to be nearly full of bikes at times.Always thought the pool table took up too much room.Manys a time i dont remember coming out!Always good crack,and never any bother,it was very self regulating in that respect.Saw one or two people taking the quick way down those stairs !Went in once after it changed hands but it was terrible,almost made you cry.

unicorn
24-Nov-06, 11:14
I only got in to drop off the rolls on a Saturday afternoon :( but Davey always gave me crisps and coke!! :)

The Pepsi Challenge
24-Nov-06, 11:29
Yes, I remember it. Didn't Scotscoup have an office round the back of it? My friend Ralph used to live where The Sheiling was before it became a bar.

the nomad
24-Nov-06, 11:38
Sheiling MCC I had forgotten about them, all top lads. I remember Scotscoup also it was a wooden staircase above the building beside the Sheiling. Once a year event for Grand National....never won anything[evil] never mind it was all in good fun.

Agree about the pool table but I had many a good afternoon pint in their when at College, used to stagger back up half cut and usually about an hour late.

Favourite seat was around the corner near the telly when the footie, boxing or rugby was on.

Remember also the lads from Vickers being their and one or two locals taking exception to them, damns shame because most were all right.

Long live the Sheiling, no idea what is there now.

I also remember they started having bands playing live.....way to loud...usually it was Z Rox or whatever they called themselves at the time, they really did suck but crack was stilll good.

Moby
24-Nov-06, 12:09
Oh the memories (or lack of memory on some noteable occasions!) I worked and played there for many years. Didn't seem like a job though as the craic was sooo good. George Sutherland was one of the nicest blokes I think I have ever known in my life, he never felt like the boss. I still have the wee "Sheiling" whisky bottle that they gave all the regulars when it closed it's doors.
I have many good memories of The Sheiling but the most memorable used to be Rugby Saturdays - we would lock up the Sheiling at 2:30pm and head off through the cellar to the Comm, spend the afternoon having a few scoops and then, even if we were not rostered to work, check out who was the most sober to re-open the Sheiling at 6pm. Half the time we were worse than the punters! If there was no lock in at The Sheiling it would be in the Comm - 3.30am on the dot a knock would come at the door and the local bobby (who shall remain nameless) was there for his nip and a half pint. Changed days now............or is it that I am just getting older?

The Pepsi Challenge
24-Nov-06, 13:20
Sheiling MCC I had forgotten about them, all top lads. I remember Scotscoup also it was a wooden staircase above the building beside the Sheiling. Once a year event for Grand National....never won anything[evil] never mind it was all in good fun.

Agree about the pool table but I had many a good afternoon pint in their when at College, used to stagger back up half cut and usually about an hour late.

Favourite seat was around the corner near the telly when the footie, boxing or rugby was on.

Remember also the lads from Vickers being their and one or two locals taking exception to them, damns shame because most were all right.

Long live the Sheiling, no idea what is there now.

I also remember they started having bands playing live.....way to loud...usually it was Z Rox or whatever they called themselves at the time, they really did suck but crack was stilll good.

I remember Tai Pan playing there. Yep, just say it... Bring back the lock-in! And off to France with these so-called style bars. Places like The Sheiling are going to end up in the musuem if we're not careful. The only place that resembles these bars anymore are private members' clubs. And more's the pity. Where's there an old-fashioned or old mannies pub in Thurso now? Nowhere.

unicorn
24-Nov-06, 13:25
I remember Tai Pan playing there. Yep, just say it... Bring back the lock-in! And off to France with these so-called style bars. Places like The Sheiling are going to end up in the musuem if we're not careful. The only place that resembles these bars anymore are private members' clubs. And more's the pity. Where's there an old-fashioned or old mannies pub in Thurso now? Nowhere.
your younger than me and I am sure it was no longer the sheiling by the time I was 18, It was the 1up by then I must have been the only teen of my time who waited till they were 18 to go into a pub lol, only cos everyone knew me though :)

the nomad
24-Nov-06, 13:36
1up that's when it went down hill and changed for the worse.

If you wee only 18 at the time Unicorn I am starting to feel very old, never mind its still Friday.

Didn't they recruit Pat for the one up or am I going senile?

The Pepsi Challenge
24-Nov-06, 13:42
I stand corrected, the One Up it was. Anyone remember the boarding? Wasn't it a faded picture of a glass of, what looked like, red wine with a bottle beside it??? Or am I thinking of the Rod and Line?

unicorn
24-Nov-06, 13:43
I could be wrong but I think she was the manager.

unicorn
24-Nov-06, 13:45
Do you remember Kate in the off licence between the comm and the sheiling. I used to love popping in to see her.

the nomad
24-Nov-06, 13:59
Funny I never really remembered the off licence being open, I knew it was there but not open. I remember George clearing stock from it he gave me two bottles of really good malt for a £5, good lad.

iain
24-Nov-06, 14:33
Never mind the offie being open,thats where our trophys went in the window.The one up and the coral was what it declined into.Lets form a kitty and buy it back!! Bags i get to ring the bell.

henry20
24-Nov-06, 14:57
you'd have a hard job buying it back - it is now a flat.

the nomad
24-Nov-06, 15:00
Eviction papers should be served on flat. 'The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one'

iain
24-Nov-06, 15:07
This is highland year of culture,so what could be more culturally appealing than bringing the Sheiling back.Lets march on Edinburgh,i will vote for the msp that promises to bring it back.

the nomad
24-Nov-06, 15:14
He has my vote too.

Bring back the Sheiling restore the balance.

the nomad
24-Nov-06, 15:17
I have just remebered something else that you don't see now Youngers Tartan Special always best served on a Saturday with soup and burnt toastie (cheese and ham) or one of Freda's home made cheese and onion rolls yum yum.

Bring back the Sheiling.

The Pepsi Challenge
24-Nov-06, 15:44
you'd have a hard job buying it back - it is now a flat.

Which is what it used to be in the first place. I'll have to ask my pal Ralph what it was like in there before it became a pub.

henry20
24-Nov-06, 15:45
Yes, but I believe that it is a rental flat that is owned by a pub licensee as they didn't want another pub in the area.

hell raizer
24-Nov-06, 18:44
the original bar staff of the sheiling were willie grant. jean murray.and sybil sutherland.it was a busy bar when the americans came here first :D

Sporran
25-Nov-06, 02:10
If it's the same Sybil who worked there in the 70s, her last name was Smith.

hell raizer
25-Nov-06, 16:31
yeah its the same one

DrSzin
25-Nov-06, 16:46
Was Willie Grant the guy who worked behind the bar with Sybil in the mid-70s?

No-one in the whole wide world could scream "Homes to go to!" like Sybil could. She was fab. :lol:

Does Younger's Tartan Special still exist? I haven't seen it in a pub for years. The Shieling used to sell Tartan Special, McEwan's Export and Harp Lager on draught way back then. And perhaps Guinness too?

Buttercup
25-Nov-06, 20:42
Was Willie Grant the guy who worked behind the bar with Sybil in the mid-70s?

No-one in the whole wide world could scream "Homes to go to!" like Sybil could. She was fab.

Does Younger's Tartan Special still exist? I haven't seen it in a pub for years. The Shieling used to sell Tartan Special, McEwan's Export and Harp Lager on draught way back then. And perhaps Guinness too?

Beg to differ on that one DrSzin - but the bloke who was doorman in Viewfirth could give Sybil a run for her money any day. ;) He died a few years ago, and I never did know his name he was always referred to as "Homes to go to"! Happy Days eh![lol]

DrSzin
25-Nov-06, 20:48
Are you talking about Punch?

Buttercup
25-Nov-06, 20:51

Could've been, as I say we just knew him as "Homes to go to"

Sporran
26-Nov-06, 04:06
Beg to differ on that one DrSzin - but the bloke who was doorman in Viewfirth could give Sybil a run for her money any day. ;) He died a few years ago, and I never did know his name he was always referred to as "Homes to go to"! Happy Days eh![lol]

Could've been, as I say we just knew him as "Homes to go to"

I'm sure it must have been Punch, as he was famous for calling that out at the end of the Viewfirth dances. He'd walk around the dance hall saying "Homes to go to! Homes to go to, friends!" He was on the short side, but his voice could carry - he would have made a good town crier, lol! He always looked very dapper in his dark suit, waistcoat and tie, with his grey hair slicked back. He must have been at least 60 something in the 1970s, and he walked with a bit of a limp. He stood next to a cash box on a small table just outside the dance hall doors. You bought your ticket from him, then he'd stamp the back of your hand. He was a right fine Caithness chiel, so he was!