PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Prices

wickscorrie
09-Jun-12, 00:11
Just wondering why Tesco in Dingwall were selling Diesel at £1.36 a ltr and Tesco Wick were £1.41 a ltr they are both Tesco Extra stores so why the difference.Oh wait tho the one in Wick were giving 5p a ltr off if you spend £50 or more so whats this about, they obviously are able to sell it for the lower price so why are they asking you to spend the £50 to get this offer when the Dingwall store is £1.36 without this.I notice today the offer is finished but the Diesel is still £1.40 a ltr once again we are losing out,Dunnets are even dearer argh rant over.

Phill
09-Jun-12, 00:17
Just wondering why Tesco in Dingwall were selling Diesel at £1.36 a ltr and Tesco Wick were £1.41 a ltrBecause they can!

You want cheap bread n' telly's you get Tesco. They go cheap and put the competition out of business. Then they hike the prices 'cos they have the monopoly.

Simples!

sids
09-Jun-12, 08:21
Because they can!

You want cheap bread n' telly's you get Tesco. They go cheap and put the competition out of business. Then they hike the prices 'cos they have the monopoly.

Simples!

Do they have a monopoly on petrol in Wick now? Must be very recent, because I bought petrol at Dunnets' on Wednesday.

Phill
09-Jun-12, 09:51
True. It's a virtual monopoly up here though. Point being they will know, or have a damn good idea what Dunnets can go down to and adjust accordingly.

sids
09-Jun-12, 10:14
they will know, or have a damn good idea what Dunnets can go down to and adjust accordingly.

You make it sound like competition.

Phill
09-Jun-12, 11:12
But it's not. If there were still several suppliers in Caithness then you would have competition (or a cartel as was hinted at)!

Tesco probably would like to keep Dunnets ticking over, with just one 'competitor' who'll they'll know the buy in price of will help keep Tesco fuel at Wick more profitable than at Dingwall and Inverness. Tesco will always get a better buy in and operating cost than Dunnets ever will, so they can keep an artificial price.

smithp
09-Jun-12, 11:55
I'd put money on the price of petrol would be higher with these 'magnificent small retailers?' if Tesco was'nt here. Also how can Tesco whack the price of products up after eliminating the competition - they're prices are on the internet, which are priced nationally. Tesco has actually brought the price of products down in Caithness; Maybe I'm alone but I don't want to pay over the odds for goods just because it's 'local'!

sids
09-Jun-12, 12:33
I'd put money on the price of petrol would be higher with these 'magnificent small retailers?' if Tesco was'nt here.

They were.

Kawasaki04
09-Jun-12, 13:40
Just wondering why Tesco in Dingwall were selling Diesel at £1.36 a ltr and Tesco Wick were £1.41 a ltr they are both Tesco Extra stores so why the difference.Oh wait tho the one in Wick were giving 5p a ltr off if you spend £50 or more so whats this about, they obviously are able to sell it for the lower price so why are they asking you to spend the £50 to get this offer when the Dingwall store is £1.36 without this.I notice today the offer is finished but the Diesel is still £1.40 a ltr once again we are losing out,Dunnets are even dearer argh rant over.

I only use Dunnets fuel as i feel it is better quality and at present is only £1.39 ltr plus you don't have to spend £50 in there store

secrets in symmetry
09-Jun-12, 13:58
I only use Dunnets fuel as i feel it is better quality and at present is only £1.39 ltr plus you don't have to spend £50 in there storeHow do you "feel" the quality of fuel?

sids
09-Jun-12, 14:10
How do you "feel" the quality of fuel?

I stick my head in a bucket of it. Don't know about him.

Kodiak
09-Jun-12, 14:21
I only use Dunnets fuel as i feel it is better quality and at present is only £1.39 ltr plus you don't have to spend £50 in there store

The quality of the fuel that Tesco sells is exactly the same as any other fuel in the country. You say that Dunnets Petrol is only £!.39 per Ltr, well Tesco is Only £1.36 per Ltr. So you are paying 3p a Ltr more.

Also you can get 5p of per ltr if you spend £50 instore, but it is not absolutely necessary to spend £50 to get the 5p off per ltr as I get, and I am sure I am not the only one, coupons sent to me through the post. With these I get the offer what is ongoing at the time. At the moment it is 5p off per ltr but last April it was 10p off per ltr.

I have pasted a copy of one of the coupons that was sent to me about 2 weeks ago which expires on 17th June.

http://i.imgur.com/kNfIU.jpg

secrets in symmetry
09-Jun-12, 14:24
I stick my head in a bucket of it. Don't know about him.I hope you don't smoke!

teddybear1873
09-Jun-12, 15:04
So how many Caithness folk run on red diesel?................................;)

I would like to know though how much money people do spend on an average week on fuel. Even though I live in the land of the so called free (US of A) I spend an average of $50-60 per week, my van gets about 25mpg. My wife spends a whopping $100-130 per week, her Toyota Camry gets about 31mph.

Kodiak
09-Jun-12, 15:35
So how many Caithness folk run on red diesel?................................;)

I would like to know though how much money people do spend on an average week on fuel. Even though I live in the land of the so called free (US of A) I spend an average of $50-60 per week, my van gets about 25mpg. My wife spends a whopping $100-130 per week, her Toyota Camry gets about 31mph.

I spend about £15 to £20 a week on Diesel, I only buy fuel once a month though, and I get 62 MPG on a run but I only get 50 MPG in the Town. (Not forgetting that a US Gallon is almost 1Ltr Less than a Imperial Gallon)

secrets in symmetry
09-Jun-12, 17:57
Not forgetting that a US Gallon is almost 1Ltr Less than a Imperial GallonLol! It would perhaps be reasonable (albeit a bit odd) to quote the difference between one unit and a second unit in terms of a third unit, but only if it were accurate.

The difference between an Imperial gallon and a US gallon is just over three-quarters of a litre. :cool:

What's the difference (in bushels) between a US gallon and a lightyear-barn? :cool:

Southern-Gal
09-Jun-12, 18:03
I spent £100 in Tesco this week and was surprised there was no voucher!

Kawasaki04
09-Jun-12, 18:37
The quality of the fuel that Tesco sells is exactly the same as any other fuel in the country. You say that Dunnets Petrol is only £!.39 per Ltr, well Tesco is Only £1.36 per Ltr. So you are paying 3p a Ltr more.

Also you can get 5p of per ltr if you spend £50 instore, but it is not absolutely necessary to spend £50 to get the 5p off per ltr as I get, and I am sure I am not the only one, coupons sent to me through the post. With these I get the offer what is ongoing at the time. At the moment it is 5p off per ltr but last April it was 10p off per ltr.

I have pasted a copy of one of the coupons that was sent to me about 2 weeks ago which expires on 17th June.

http://i.imgur.com/kNfIU.jpg
The price i put on is for Diesel as the person asked, Dunnets of Thurso £1.39 ltr and Wick could be cheaper they are most of the time.

Phill
09-Jun-12, 18:38
The quality of the fuel that Tesco sells is exactly the same as any other fuel in the country.'fraid not!
It may meet certain base standards but beyond these the fuel quality will differ.

Dialyser
10-Jun-12, 14:08
'fraid not!
It may meet certain base standards but beyond these the fuel quality will differ.

Could you tell me what you base this on please? I have heard many people say similar things but when I have tried to research it I have found little evidence to support this theory and plenty to suggest the differences are minimal at best.

teddybear1873
10-Jun-12, 15:01
Could you tell me what you base this on please? I have heard many people say similar things but when I have tried to research it I have found little evidence to support this theory and plenty to suggest the differences are minimal at best.

As far as I'm aware off, each company adds additives to the raw fuel after it arrives in the terminal.

Phill
10-Jun-12, 17:02
Could you tell me what you base this on please? I have heard many people say similar things but when I have tried to research it I have found little evidence to support this theory and plenty to suggest the differences are minimal at best.A lot can depend on the additives used by the retailers, the batch from the refinery or each different refinery. Some independents/supermarkets will run close to the maximum water content where others will use better filtration to minimise this. An awful lot also depends on the individual garage and how they look after their fuel when storing it and the age of the fuel.

Blackbird
11-Jun-12, 10:19
'fraid not!

What comes out of the refinary is a 'base' fuel, and that is the same in every refinary. The main business now of the oil companies is to develope the 'additives', they've pretty much got the refining bit sorted. They spend millions developing these additives to make their particular fuel better than another companies, be it for mileage, cleanliness, emissions or some other purpose.

This is where peoples confusion comes from.

BP, Shell and Esso sell their fuel with the latest additives, that they have developed. Tesco, Asda and other smaller companies buy the base fuel from the refinary and then buy an additive package from one of the main companies. For obvious reasons they do not get the latest additives but ones that may be 18 months to 2 years old. Your car will not go bang (unless the tanker driver fills up the wrong tank !!) you are just not getting the latest, most up to date additives. Think of it as using petrol or diesel 18 months ago, cars weren't going bang back then and in 18 months time Tesco will be using todays equvalent fuel from Shell, Esso or BP.

ducati
11-Jun-12, 22:09
I hope you don't smoke!

Actually, if you drink a pint of petrol every night for a week then apply a lighted match to the tonsills, it cures a cold.

only joking, don't try this at home kids

you'll ruin the curtins

ducati
11-Jun-12, 22:17
If you think how many millions of miles are driven on Tesco fuel each year, if it was the least bit harmful, I think we would have heard.

queue, bunch of nutters with ever more bizaar anecdotes:lol:

Dialyser
11-Jun-12, 23:22
Most of the information I could find was along these lines. http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/what-car-q-and-a/is-supermarket-diesel-inferior/217130

It would appear that the additive issue mainly relates to the premium fuels, which most people don't use anyway.

essex boy
12-Jun-12, 18:02
Tesco has reduced price today. £1.37 I think for diesel

Stack Rock
12-Jun-12, 22:14
Tesco has reduced price today. £1.37 I think for diesel

Yep, I can confirm this and £1.32.9 for petrol

Big Gaz
12-Jun-12, 22:50
I can confirm that the fuel you buy from different companies probably comes from the same fuel depot BUT (and i say this as things may be different now) When i was hauling tankers several years back, i was given a can of additive to put in each load of fuel on the tanker. I saw several companies tankers filling up at the same refinery, all sucking from the same bund so the fuel was from the same source and therefore there was no difference in quality other than the "additives"

Tugmistress
13-Jun-12, 18:33
And morrisons in inverness was 129.9 for petrol this morning :)

midi2304
18-Jun-12, 09:51
Diesel was 132.7 and petrol was 128.7 on Thursday here in Aberdeen at Asda before I made the run up to Caithness on Friday. Anyone know why we are seeing such big drops in the price of fuel? I'm sure I was paying >10p a litre more for diesel a few months back.

Dialyser
18-Jun-12, 11:33
Diesel was 132.7 and petrol was 128.7 on Thursday here in Aberdeen at Asda before I made the run up to Caithness on Friday. Anyone know why we are seeing such big drops in the price of fuel? I'm sure I was paying >10p a litre more for diesel a few months back.

http://www.myfinances.co.uk/cut-your-bills/2012/06/16/fall-in-uk-petrol-prices-outpaced-by-18-drop-in-oil-prices

Shame that only part of the drop in oil prices is being passed on, but thats what always seems to happen.

oldmarine
19-Jun-12, 15:09
That's what competition is about.