PDA

View Full Version : doggy blues?

cuddlepop
23-Nov-06, 22:22
My collie's 10 and fed up looking.We were looking after my daughters 3 year old collie but my sons now taken her.our dog was fed up looking before guest arrived but seemed to perk up when they were here.
My delema is do we get another dog or will that put mine in a mega sulk.If so what age doggy?a puppy or would she be too old to tolerate that.:confused

unicorn
23-Nov-06, 22:28
Is there somebody you could maybe walk with when you go out and see how she responds to seeing a new friend every day, it may just be enough to perk her up and if not it will at least let you know how she would respond to a dog that age.

cuddlepop
23-Nov-06, 22:34
She's a funny dog.Very possesive of me.I usually walk her with my friends three year old bitch and she ignores her or dominates .
Wish has a bitch too and our intention is that we'll walk them together but unfortunatly Wish's dog hasn't settled very well after the move north.
I read somewhere its good to get a younger dog for an older one,its suppose to keep them young.:D I just dont want mine thinking she's past it and we've traded her in for a newer model,so to speak.:confused

unicorn
23-Nov-06, 23:30
It doesn't really sound like she would be too keen on a friend in the house but I am sure there is someone out there who knows better.

Liz
23-Nov-06, 23:54
This is a tough one as it's strange why your dog got on okay with your daughter's collie whilst it was staying in the house but not with your friend's dog when out for a walk.
Would have thought it might be other way around.

Then again maybe she prefers your daughter's dog?

If you think she seemed happier with a doggy companion then I think it would be worth a go and best to go for a younger dog but, even more important is to go for a dog with the right temperament ie not domineering.

If you contact your local dog shelter, SSPCA etc they should have facilites where your dog can meet others on neutral ground and then you can safely assess how things go. Also they should be able to advise you on whether to get another dog or not.

Mind you could there be any other reason for her being 'fed up looking' as I am assuming she hasn't had the company of another dog all of her time with you? In which case it would be strange if she suddenly decided she wanted company.

This is a difficult one and needs a lot of thought which I know you will give as you are only concerned about the welfare of your doggy.

cuddlepop
25-Nov-06, 18:47
Thanks Liz,I,ve never had a dog thats got to this age before but MrCp has and he said the behaviour is identical to his elderly dog.They got a rescued dogYour idea but the new dog was too destuctive and had to be returned.
He says ours is just having elderly moments:lol:
I think i'll offer my service to dog sit when folks are away.I didn't know you could see if your dog gets on first with a stray,thanks again.:D

Liz
25-Nov-06, 19:19
Thanks Liz,I,ve never had a dog thats got to this age before but MrCp has and he said the behaviour is identical to his elderly dog.They got a rescued dogYour idea but the new dog was too destuctive and had to be returned.
He says ours is just having elderly moments:lol:
I think i'll offer my service to dog sit when folks are away.I didn't know you could see if your dog gets on first with a stray,thanks again.:D

It could well be that your dog is 'having elderly moments' and ,if so, there is a natural product called 'Cognitise' which you can get from www.arthritis-help-for-pets.com which might help.

It is made by a Vet and I give his product Mobilise to Benjy my dog and it is brilliant so I know his products are good.

It could be worth having a chat with him.

To be honest if your dog has never had a companion (apart from you!) it might not be a good idea to introduce another dog to her but the dog sitting is a good idea as you will be able to see how things go.

Good luck!

Wish
27-Nov-06, 12:25
Awww bless her, we can always try the walk Jackie, my dog is still being a bit of rebel, but to be honest, it would do her good if your girl put her in her place:cool: I walk her along the river at Braes, perhaps a little paddle in the river together, would cheer them up! I am totally embarassed by her behaviour since we moved, shes been a right royal pain in the backside when out and about!

I know where there are cross collie pups free to good home.

x