PDA

View Full Version : Mitchell Reference Library Glasgow

marionq
23-Nov-06, 18:51
Like many others I have spent a small fortune on scotlandspeople. I have had wonderful information from it but at a cost which not everyone could or would put up with. Recently I have been spending time researching in the Mitchell which is of course entirely free and has outstanding and unexpected material. All of the census from 1841 to 1901 for the whole of Scotland are available together with many indexes on immigration, war victims and much, much more.

While there I have met others from abroad (I am just up the road in Renfrewshire) using the Mitchell and also the online service nearby at Park Circus (£13 a day for as much info as you can fit it) which requires a six week waiting time apparently.

It occurred to me that some of you might be down here and could make use of the facilities. Wick and Inverness libraries provided me with useful stuff but this is on a bigger scale.

Best regards

Marion, Renfrewshire

caroline
23-Nov-06, 20:13
I also use Park Circus and the Mitchell and live in Renfrewshire. My knowledge of the Mitchell Library is that it only holds census records for West of Scotland down to Wigtownshire. There is no Caithness or Aberdeen census the girl in the Mitchell told me some councils will not give out records to other areas. They are waiting on Perthshire records shortly. All the other information in your previous message is correct. Mitchell holds all the MI.s for the whole of Scotland they also have some Irish census and English IGI records. I agree with you there is a great atmostphere in the place and Park Cirsus is so popular now that you have to book 6 weeks in advance.

Happy searching maybe I will see you at those two venues sometime.

marionq
28-Nov-06, 17:21
Now, you could be right Caroline as I have been working on Mull and Skye ancestors as well as Glasgow and Paisley census material. I have been very impressed with all the material and help available.

Good luck to all researchers, wherever you are.

Marion