PDA

View Full Version : Why no Lpg?

mostlyharmless
23-Nov-06, 17:25
Why is there no Lpg at Tesco's? I thought it was trying to be environmentally friendly or something?
And what happens if they cut fuel prices so low that the local shell station closes and theres no LPG up here?
...Oh yes of course I'd better sell the car!

Billy Boy
23-Nov-06, 17:40
so the moral of the story is support your local station now and make sure they stay open;)

Fran
24-Nov-06, 01:46
Elm Tree garage has LPG

JAWS
24-Nov-06, 04:21
I can't believe it. They don't do aviation fuel either! Where am I going to get it when the Airport goes out of business?
Not another excuse for a "Tesco will make Caithness close down" thread for heaven's sake.

I thought Lidl's were going to do that, or was it Homebase? No, I remember, it was Wetherspoons, I'm sure it was. Wasn't it?
Can anybody remember if there was the same panic when Boots and Woolworth opened? How long ago was that and however did Caithness survive the shock?

Does anybody actually use LPG in their car/van as a matter of curiosity?

Colin Manson
24-Nov-06, 05:27
I don't see it as a "Tesco will make Caithness close down" thread, it's a genuine question.

I know quite a few people that use LPG and since Tesco are making an issue with this environmentally friendly store I'd suggest that they should be suppling LPG as an environmentally friendly option.

rs 2k
24-Nov-06, 11:36
Well said Colin, i agree :)

We run our truck on LPG and i asked this same question a couple of weeks ago, "Is tesco's selling LPG"?

Elm tree is the only garage that supplies it :mad:

the_big_mac
24-Nov-06, 11:56
I don't see it as a "Tesco will make Caithness close down" thread, it's a genuine question.

I know quite a few people that use LPG and since Tesco are making an issue with this environmentally friendly store I'd suggest that they should be suppling LPG as an environmentally friendly option.

If thats your point of view then go to customer services on monday and fill out a "customer request form" this WILL be answered and you will at least know what the companies view on this is, rather than just making the point on the org.

sweep
24-Nov-06, 12:02
we use lpg and use Elm Tree filling station. lots of cars in caithness have been converted, quite surprising.
i have 'gassed-up' all over scotland and have never known tesco to sell lpg

Colin Manson
24-Nov-06, 12:28
If thats your point of view then go to customer services on monday and fill out a "customer request form" this WILL be answered and you will at least know what the companies view on this is, rather than just making the point on the org.

But it is just my point of view, I don't use LPG so I don't feel a burning desire to have the question answered, I'd rather just air my views here because that's what the forum is for....

On the other hand if they don't sell plantains then I'll be the first person to fill out one of those forms :)

mostlyharmless
24-Nov-06, 13:58
Yes, I thought a simple question no need to Panic JAWS ! [Tesco's..I think this is the beginnning of Caithness taking over the world!!]
Nice to see some balance amongst the moderators AND masters one to fly off the handle and make you wish you'd never started and one to reaassure and understand...excellent.
I asked the question at the station too [whilst in my non lpg car] and amongst the 4 of them they had no clue but tried to give me a Tesco club card! Thats nice..
And what was the other comment why raise it on here??
Why raise anything on here really?? lets just not bother what an absurd question. [Don't apply for Org promotions work]

Anyway if I mention it here maybe any tesco's employee can put it in there staff suggestion box and win lots of points ...after all what do points get...?

Colin Manson
24-Nov-06, 14:12
Any chance that I can interest you in a .Org Club Card? You get points on every post... :D

On a slightly more serious note, many issues have been raised here and they have been answered or taken forward to somewhere that can do something about them. The Asda store in Thurso would be a good example.

Posting it here as mostlyharmless said brings it to lots of peoples attention, sometimes you get the answer but if not at least you have aired the question for others to consider and possibly pursue.

JAWS
24-Nov-06, 14:57
Why is there no Lpg at Tesco's? I thought it was trying to be environmentally friendly or something?
And what happens if they cut fuel prices so low that the local shell station closes and theres no LPG up here?
...Oh yes of course I'd better sell the car!

Mostlyharmless, I was simply wondering why the problem had waited until now in view of the recent lengthy threads on the subject of Tesco and fuel supplies in Caithness where the subject has been well aired.

If there is a problem about having only one source of supply for LPG, and I can see that it does pose a problem, then it already existed prior to the arrival of Tesco.

The implication has to be that, because of the arrival of Tesco, that source of supply will disappear. Were that not the case there should surely have been pressure previously to create more than one source of supply.
What would have happened before now if, for whatever reason, that source of supply had ceased?

I can see there is very good reason for pressure to be applied for a second, or even a third and fourth source of supply. What I don't see why that should be directly connected to the arrival of Tesco other than by a direct implication that other fuel suppliers will cease to trade and that would appear to me to be quite a separate issue.

Personally, in view of the fears about Tesco and fuel supplies, I would have thought that additional sources of supplies for LPG would be better coming from elsewhere.

And, as an aside, why as the Moderator/Masters question been thrown in for good measure? I neither ask, consult, or seek permission off anybody for the contents of my posts. Anybody is free to agree or disagree with my views, they are formulated by me and by me alone and will change as facts and circumstances dictate.

Colin Manson
24-Nov-06, 15:13
I don't see the Anti-Tesco slant that you are reading into this thread Jaws, the issue seems to be purely about supply.

The fact that Tesco, undercutting local fuel suppliers will have an add on effect that the only supplier of LPG may be lost isn't Anti-Tesco. Otherwise the poster wouldn't have been asking why they aren't suppling his fuel needs.

JAWS
24-Nov-06, 15:39
I can see the need for more suppliers and agree that more sources are needed, but this must always have been a problem.

If Tesco supplying LPG will benefit people who use it then, no problem, give them hell until they add it to their supply. It was the additional sniping about Tesco's "green credentials" or lack of them which seemed superfluous as with the comment about us viewing things from a different view point in the later post.

If I throw in an off-hand or sarcastic comment and somebody either shoots me down or responds with a different point of view they might otherwise not have made then it's served it's purpose. Sometimes I shake the tree to see what falls out. If it's a rock and it hurts then that's the risk I take in shaking the tree. :eek:

captain chaos
24-Nov-06, 15:40
Being realistic...there are only 14 LPG stations in the whole Highland region and only one in Caithness.

Why would Tescos want to even think about selling LPG?

And for the argument "I thought it was trying to be environmentally friendly or something?"

Then LPG is not environmentally friendly. They would need to sell bio fuel as this is the only environmentally friendly fuel as it is renewable unlike oil or gas

Highland Laddie
24-Nov-06, 15:51
As someone who works for Tesco, i'm sure there will be plenty of stuff that Tesco wont sell,will they be slated for this aswell,after all the shouting that went on to get Tesco up here, the shop hasn't even opened yet and people are slating it already, should they supply what they can for the majority of the public, or try to satisfy people that live in their own little non forward looking little worlds.

Colin Manson
24-Nov-06, 16:19
I can see the need for more suppliers and agree that more sources are needed, but this must always have been a problem.

More sources isn't the problem, it's keeping the only source that we currently have. As I said if the pricing of Tesco forces the only supplier of LPG to close that is the issue, other suppliers wouldn't help because they would likely be in the same situation.

And for the argument "I thought it was trying to be environmentally friendly or something?"

Then LPG is not environmentally friendly. They would need to sell bio fuel as this is the only environmentally friendly fuel as it is renewable unlike oil or gas

LPG is more environmentally friendly than Unleaded, nobody claimed that Tesco were trying to save the world with their new store, only build it in a more environmentally friendly way.

As someone who works for Tesco, i'm sure there will be plenty of stuff that Tesco wont sell,will they be slated for this aswell,after all the shouting that went on to get Tesco up here, the shop hasn't even opened yet and people are slating it already, should they supply what they can for the majority of the public, or try to satisfy people that live in their own little non forward looking little worlds.

I don't think anyone is slating Tesco, you are correct that some people are never happy but the question asked was just about supplying a more environmentally friendly fuel.

JAWS
24-Nov-06, 19:37
There is nothing to stop something, quite apart from Tesco, from stopping the only source closing down. In fact, I would think that if Tesco were, by some chance, going to cause the only source of LPG to close down then their selling LPG would only hasten the fact. All the other sources of supply for fuel could still be there but the users of LPG would be back in the same position of only one source of supply.

The best option is having several sources of supply and for that Tesco are largely a side issue. The only connection between Tesco and LPG supplies is the assumption that all the other sources of fuel supplies are simply going to cease trading and that has always been the excuse for trying to stop Tesco, and indeed the proposed Asda Store, from operating.

With or without Tesco, should Elmtree stop selling LPG the same situation could have occurred at any time for many years past.
Suddenly this long standing possibility seems to have become of major concern which previously seems to have either gone unnoticed or not worthy of the least concern.

I'm just a little puzzled why nobody seems to have displayed the least concern about there being no alternative source until now.
Why has this very obvious and long standing situation not been worthy of mention previously?

Colin Manson
24-Nov-06, 20:16
People don't see a single supplier as an issue, as long as someone is selling it, they don't care because it is available.

There has been not long standing because there has been not direct threat to the current supplier. It wouldn't make a lot of sense to complain that we only have one supplier and that we need more, unless the price was unfair.

I still don't see why you don't see the reasoning behind the question, Tesco is only the catalyst that has stirred the issue to cause someone to raise the issue.

Should we be campaigning for a second library or hospital or maybe an airport?

COACHMAN
24-Nov-06, 23:24
LPG is available at elm tree wick now and for the forseeable future along with BIO DERV WHICH IS DUE EARLY 2007.:Razz
ELM TREE will be getting upgraded pumps with 24 hrs fuel available next Feburary.
Two fuel suppliers in Thurso Dunnets and Bridgend got Planning for LPG but did not progress with it .[evil]

JAWS
24-Nov-06, 23:28
I do seem to remember a few complaints about the lack of an A & E at Dunbar. ;)

Colin, I understand the reason the problem has arisen now only too well. Prior to Tesco opening everything was nice and cosy. Everybody had to pay the price demanded because nobody was going to rock the boat. Now that cosy little set up has been disturbed and nobody knows quite what to expect.
It's new, it's different and it's frightening and that's why there were so many attempts to prevent it happening for so long.

Colin Manson
25-Nov-06, 06:30
I do seem to remember a few complaints about the lack of an A & E at Dunbar.

That's Thurso so it doesn't count :p

It's new, it's different and it's frightening and that's why there were so many attempts to prevent it happening for so long.

That has been the issue for many businesses but the question here isn't from someone that doesn't want it.

Again I say that the question isn't based upon any fear of Tesco, it is directed at the lack of supply from Tesco. Yes he did mention that if the marketing power of Tesco did force the LPG supplier to close then he would probably sell his car but that still isn't anti-tesco.

mostlyharmless already posted that I understand his point and that you didn't but still you insist on reading something into it which doesn't exist for anyone else.

Sometimes I shake the tree to see what falls out. If it's a rock and it hurts then that's the risk I take in shaking the tree.

Sometimes you are shaking but there isn't a tree in sight. :)

JAWS
25-Nov-06, 08:49
Mostlyharmless would say you understood whereas I didn't. That does not surprise me in the least. After all I was the one who questioned the motives behind the thread.

Why make an issue that the employees, who have only been newly employed to work in the shop, were so lacking in knowledge that they could not give him information on Tesco Company Policy. The very idea that they would be able to answer the question is totally unrealistic and can be nothing more than mischief making.

The_big_mac made the helpful suggestion of filling out a "customer request form" which would be answered and as a result elicited the reply:-

Anyway if I mention it here maybe any tesco's employee can put it in there staff suggestion box and win lots of points ...after all what do points get...? which again would indicate to me that that finding out about LPG is less important than making disparaging remarks about Tesco.

Should mostlyharmless have concerns and wishes to obtain useful information about Tesco Policy with regard to the provision of LPG a phonecall to Tesco on 0845 120 4419 could well provide the requisite information.
Alternatively a letter to Tesco House, Delamare Road, Cheshunt, Hertfordshire, EM8 9SL or a National Rate Phonecall to 01992 632222 could well prove more helpful than pouring scorn on the cashiers who are only doing a job like the rest of us.

To further assist mostlyharmless with the other major concern, details of “what points get” can be found on the following web pages
Tesco Club Card http://www.tesco.com/clubcard/clubcard/
Tesco Club Card Deals http://www.tesco.com/clubcard/deals/
Tesco Green Club Card http://www.tesco.com/clubcard/clubcard/greenpoints/

The above details were not difficult to find for anybody bothering to look for them. I hope those sources can prove most helpful in assisting mostlyharmless with the quest for information about the supply of LPG by Tesco and look forward to reading any useful information thereby obtained.

Colin Manson
25-Nov-06, 09:53
'Motives behind the thread', I think you need to read what is there without all this conspiracy theory.

one to fly off the handle and make you wish you'd never started

Making people wish that they'd never posted is something that we could do without.

Who better to be able to answer a question about a new store and the possible plans in the pipeline that a freshly trained member of staff, he wasn't expected to be able to quote chapter and verse. Again my first point of contact would be a member of staff or asking a question on here rather than filling in a card to be sent on to some anonymous destination.

Should Mostlyharmless be a member of friendly helpful local online community I'd hope that he'd ask the question there and hopefully get some good feedback. After all what is the point of being a member of such a forum if you can't ask a question and get a community response rather than acting alone.

Should everyone feel that they can go and do their own research and find their answers then I can shut the general forum because one of it's main functions will no longer be required.

JAWS
25-Nov-06, 10:49
If mostlyharmless has been put off posting by me then I can only apologise, that was not my intention. I have no wish to see anybody stop posting.

I have provided information as to probable sources where information should be available for Tesco's policy on LPG and hopefully also if their is any likelihood of them providing it.
I have also supplied, as far as I can, information about other questions he has raised about Tesco.

The information has been supplied and is there to be used by any interested party who can then pass the information on for the information of all interested parties.

mostlyharmless
25-Nov-06, 11:31
Hey thanks for the help and advice all, very interesting .
Sorry for the flippant remark about moderators[must have been getting confused with mediator!]
Never been spoken of in the third party so much since my last trip to the maternity ward.Thanks.
I'm not put off from posting Just making a point as I would have done face to face.
Oh yes Jaws....I finally 'bothered' to use the nice little greencard thread you gave seemed an appropriate place for a question not answered by staff
on site.
I hope you find the peace as I have [TESCO'S THREAD..ITS THE END. END IS NIGH! TESCO'S TESCO'S!} in your successful intervention.

JAWS
25-Nov-06, 16:27
Glad I could be of assistance.

mostlyharmless
28-Nov-06, 12:48
There we go.. Tesco have no plans to have LPG they only have one station countrywide.But that doesn't mean they never will have it...apparently.

JAWS
28-Nov-06, 15:21
What can I say? Well, it might just be an idea to say sorry, mostlyharmless, I let my cynical side run away with me when I should have kept it locked securely in it's box.

From the reply you got I would suspect that you will be waiting a long time for Tesco to start selling LPG.
I must admit that I'm not sure how much call there is for it but I can only think of having seen one outlet between here and Inverness.
One thing is certain, it's got me thinking and the strain is terrible. :D

macleod_callum
28-Nov-06, 16:27
There are at least two outlets between here (Wick) and Inverness for LPG.

Calum Macleod

JAWS
28-Nov-06, 18:23
I must admit, LPG outlets were not something I was particularly looking out for but I knew I hadn't spotted many.

LPG for vehicles has been around for quite a while now. I vaguely remember the initial fuss from Westminster extolling it's wonderful benefits when it was first introduced.
For a while the politicians basked in the glory of having acted to Save the Planet but once the publicity had died away, nothing, absolutely nothing.
Since then I have seen little effort from Official Sources to encourage owners to convert their vehicles, to get manufacturers to produce such vehicles or to get the oil companies to make supplies widely available.

As with so many other things, once there were no more political gains to be made from promoting the use of LPG it was quietly dropped from the agenda and forgotten about.
Could it just be that the Tax Revenue from fuel is far more important to Governments than the environmental benefits of LPG?