PDA

View Full Version : Employment Opportunities?

squidge
05-Jun-12, 12:52
Is this really the help that unemployed people need? If this is true its disgusting. http://m.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jun/04/jubilee-pageant-unemployed?cat=uk&type=article

Alrock
05-Jun-12, 13:12
Is this really the help that unemployed people need? If this is true its disgusting. http://m.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jun/04/jubilee-pageant-unemployed?cat=uk&type=article

See... Now you know why they call us Unemployed Scum, because that is exactly how they treat us & it is getting worse under this Tory government.... That is why I now say "Bring on Independence", surely no independent Scottish government would ever sink that low.

equusdriving
05-Jun-12, 13:39
See... Now you know why they call us Unemployed Scum, because that is exactly how they treat us & it is getting worse under this Tory government.... That is why I now say "Bring on Independence", surely no independent Scottish government would ever sink that low.

what is so wrong with people working for their benefits, as that is what every one else has to do! and maybe it will stop the whole "it doesn't pay to work when i can sit on my backside and claim benefits culture"

and this Independence lark looks better every day, what with stopping any major crimes in Scotland (as advised by Corrie 3)and the better treatment of benefits claimants, if someone could give answers to the trivial matters like currency, armed forces, affordability etc etc etc then they have got my vote!

Alrock
05-Jun-12, 14:44
what is so wrong with people working for their benefits.....

If there is work to be done then give them a job with a proper wage, don't just treat them as a form of slave labour.
£12,000,000 to stage this event!!!!!
Surely they could have afforded to pay them an a appropriate wage for the job without hardly denting that budget!

golach
05-Jun-12, 15:33

LMAO, and Eck is going to pay you to stay in your bed, aye right!!! Maybe you should do as I did, leave home and go where the work was. I have 3 Grandaughters who have have all left school aged18, 2 are in full time employment, and the latest one starts work on Monday. Proud of them all.

Big Gaz
05-Jun-12, 16:07
I don't find this at all surprising. The previous short stint i had on Jobseekers Allowance i was told i "had to consider" an SIA course as part of a "suitability for employment" campaign. The course paperwork i was given to look over involved 4 weeks training etc etc, with several "on the job" assessments in "a variety of rich and rewarding atmospheres conducent to the nature of the job". So i phoned the company that was doing the training and lo and behold it was an employment recruitment agency and the job was for a security guard in Morrisons/Tesco & ASDA totalling 20 hours a week part-time (officially 15 3/4 so as not to upset benefit rules, the 4 1/4 hours were unpaid "official breaks") over the 4 weeks and i would still have my benefit paid for the 4 weeks while i was doing the "training" so technically it wasn't even a wage of £4 an hour!. I grudgingly gave the guy my details but the following week they phoned me back saying i was unsuitable due to having an adverse criminal record so had to refuse me access to the course ( the course required an enhanced CRB check, i passed a standard check twice previously so didnt think anything of it). So when i next signed on i told the advisor i couldn't do it and as i was trying to explain, he spat the dummy out!. In between all the huffing and puffing i was told i had refused to accept a training course and therefore my benefits would be sanctioned, i tried several times to explain i had an adverse criminal record from several years previously but he was having none of it and refused to listen to me and got up and walked away. Then another advisor got me to sign some paperwork and said to leave it til next sign-on day and i left. A couple of days later i got a letter from them sanctioning my benefits for 13 weeks for refusing to undergo training!. It ended up i had to pay myself out of my benefits for a CRB check (£80 then) to prove to them and they STILL didn't believe it, insisting the information i provided was irrelevant and i should have accepted the course. Glad i got a job the following week albeit a temp one. I'm all for training and further experience of a variety of different jobs but end of the day it should lead to a proper paid and permanent job, not just a stop-gap or excuse to get number off the jobless total AT ANY COST!!!

Big Gaz
05-Jun-12, 16:10
oops nearly forgot!

As for the required clothing/footwear and hi-viz etc, it is an employers responsibility to provide these by law!! so that was a crap excuse by the company

BRIE
05-Jun-12, 16:22
doesnt surprise me at all! Think this work experience that the job centre is dishing out is just slave labour, ask the majority of the employers who are taking these people on & they will tell you that they have no jobs to offer them after their work experience is over.
This company obviously did this to avoid paying staff double time etc for working bank holidays, disgusting that they can get away with it! [evil]

equusdriving
05-Jun-12, 17:47
If there is work to be done then give them a job with a proper wage, don't just treat them as a form of slave labour.
Surely they could have afforded to pay them an a appropriate wage for the job without hardly denting that budget!

Just remind me how Independence would have stopped this hapening in London?

secrets in symmetry
05-Jun-12, 18:28
and this Independence lark looks better every day, what with stopping any major crimes in Scotland (as advised by Corrie 3)and the better treatment of benefits claimants, if someone could give answers to the trivial matters like currency, armed forces, affordability etc etc etc then they have got my vote!You should try this independence lark yourself. Not only does it do all the things you listed, but there are even hints that it will cure cancer and stop climate change - because we wouldn't need science or windfarms in their fantasyland.

ducati
05-Jun-12, 18:39
Event security used to be a cash in hand job with no questions, blame the last gov. for regulating to the extent that companies have to resort to these tactics. And for future reference if you are offered this kind of job don't take it, it is not a career opportunity (it used to be a favourite student job). I was under the impression any job advertised in the job centre had to be checked and an undertaking from the employer that it met the minimum wage received. So someone or everyone was acting illegally. The jobcentre staff involved should be disciplined

Alrock
05-Jun-12, 19:34
what is so wrong with people working for their benefits.....

For a start, that answer is totally irrelavent to the point I was making....
Now please answer the actual point....
If there is work to be done then should somebody not be paid a proper wage to do the job?
Or can I assume that your lack of a decent answer is down to the fact that you know I am right & you don't like to admit it when you are wrong?

I was under the impression any job advertised in the job centre had to be checked and an undertaking from the employer that it met the minimum wage received. So someone or everyone was acting illegally. The jobcentre staff involved should be disciplined

This was part of a Government scheme, they make the rules & it is one rule for them & another for everybody else.

I have 3 Grandaughters who have have all left school aged18, 2 are in full time employment, and the latest one starts work on Monday. Proud of them all.

Just like me when I was 17, left school straight into full time employment. Unemployment can happen at anytime in life so I wouldn't count your grandaughters chickens just yet.

equusdriving
05-Jun-12, 19:46
For a start, that answer is totally irrelavent to the point I was making....
Now please answer the actual point....
If there is work to be done then should somebody not be paid a proper wage to do the job?
Or can I assume that your lack of a decent answer is down to the fact that you know I am right & you don't like to admit it when you are wrong?

See... That is why I now say "Bring on Independence", surely no independent Scottish government would ever sink that low.

Alrock
05-Jun-12, 19:52

OK... I'll answer...
It wouldn't, but it would be England's problem, not Scotland's

Now you answer my question....

Koi
05-Jun-12, 20:13
Experience is good and somethings the job centre puts you through do help but most of it doesn't. They just want their boxes ticked and are really not interested in the person at all. They also do not understand qualifications either. I'm in childcare and was told that my choice of career or the job i am planning on doing through self employment was not the job for me blah blah. There were jobs in the schools i was not qualified for as have no experience with the 5-14 curriculum but they wanted me to apply for a high school job that i was not qualified to do. They are a shambles and do not offer "support" like they say they do. I hated being on jobseekers and i hate it that there are others out there who've been signed on for years, do work on the side and are never bothered but i had a heap of problems. I have a 2 year old son and there are just only so many hours i can do as my partner works full time and more.
Anyways back on course with the topic of the thread though. Yes it was likely going to be good expereince but to be told to sleep rough under a bridge with nowhere to pitch a tent and told to sleep in the cold and rain is not on. Thats awful and some of those people i hoped have backlashed about this as thats infringing their rights. I would've refused as there would be no way i could sleep rough under a bridge when i have a young child to care for without even forgetting that none of those people should've been told to sleep rough there. There should have been suitable arrangements made such as at a caravan site, hostel etc. Jobcentre screwed up bigtime with that one!

equusdriving
05-Jun-12, 20:31
OK... I'll answer...
It wouldn't, but it would be England's problem, not Scotland's

Now you answer my question....

How on earth is it Scotland's problem now then?

If there is work to be done that benefits the community, I see no reason why the unemployed shouldn't do it, to entitle them to their benefits as after all its the community that pays for their benefits, but I suppose you are of the belief that the country somehow owes you a living whilst sitting on your backside talking rubbish?

squidge
05-Jun-12, 20:37
Jeepers what a carry on. Firstly I dont think it is acceptable for ANYONE - being paid a wage or carrying out a jobtrial to be treated this way - no access to toilets? Nowhere to change? Nowhere proper to sleep? a responsible company would have arranged - at the very least proper tents and hot drinks and food and somewhere dry for all their staff. The fact that the paper suggests that there were "30 odd people who were doing this without being paid at all suggests that this was a way to get extra cheap labour and not any sort of appropriate work trial or job experience. Work Trial or job experience suggests having some training or shadowing someone and being supported - there was no element of this if the report is to be believed.

Work trials and government programmes are supposed to be a step to a permanent job, Not a way to get casual staff. Even if these jobs were being used to assess whether people were suitable for work at the Olympics - that is simply another casual job. The exploitation of PEOPLE whether unemployed or being paid a wage by these sorts of companies should not be supported through government programmes.

Work for benefit???? Well maybe... But work which is structured and includes support and training and gives a realistic prospect of leading to jobs or being of benefit to the local community and leaves time for jobsearch. Not lets ship thirty people on a bus at 11pm at night, abandon them at 3am and expect a whole days work from them standing in the pouring rain just so some security company can make a killing., Its disgusting and along with the introduction of legislation to increase the rights of emplyers to sack someone just cos they feel like it gives an indication of the opinion of this government to a - the unemployed and b- employees in general.

Now to the independence issue. In an independent Scotland we might get the opportunity to vote for a government which will protect people like alrock and ensure that they are treated fairly and in a responsibile manner by those paying benefits or employing them. And in fact could introduce a whole new welfare system which is cheaper, less riddled with fraud and meets the needs of people here in Scotland. Who knows.

Maybe however we dont care.... maybe we really do think that all the long term unemployed people are wasters, workshy and lazy and deserve our deepest scorn and greatest ridicule. Maybe we think they are only fit to do the work no one wants and not get paid for it. Maybe we have our heads so far up our own behinds that we have NO IDEA of the impact on a person of being long term unemployed and we dont really care anyway because it isnt happening to us or ours. Well folks Thats no way for us to build a society, no way to for us to foster responsibility and respect and no way to improve the options for many of the most disadvantaged in society. Shame on us.

squidge
05-Jun-12, 21:14
I have no idea why this thread appeared closed. I assume that I closed it by accident. I dont make a habit of closing threads that I start so feel free to have another go. :D