PDA

View Full Version : A new tax??? but only for Scotland !!!

peter macdonald
23-Nov-06, 16:28
Charge Scots for driving into England’

Published on 23/11/2006

A PROPOSAL to charge motorists for driving from Scotland into England was branded “barking” today.

Labour’s Andrew MacKinlay, MP for Thurrock in Essex, said he wants to see drivers charged £1.50 for every journey taking them south of the border, although it would not apply in the other direction.It is one of two private Bills he wants to introduce at Westminster on road pricing.

But Scottish National Party transport spokesman Fergus Ewing hit out at the idea today.“The SNP have long argued that Scotland pays dearly for the union with England,” he said.

“Now a Labour MP is proposing that on top of that extra cost, we should pay more to travel to England.

“This is barking.”

Mr MacKinlay, 57, has been campaigning against road pricing schemes for crossing the River Thames between Essex and Kent.

The Pepsi Challenge
23-Nov-06, 16:31
I'd agree with that - but only if Scotland achieves total Independence.
I can see this one racking up 63 pages.

JAWS
23-Nov-06, 16:40
I'll willingly pay £1.50. Provided it goes towards paying for Mr Andrew MacKinlay, MP. to go on a long trip!
That's if he's not already on one! [lol] (Think about it)

canuck
23-Nov-06, 16:49

Mr MacKinlay, 57, has been campaigning against road pricing schemes for crossing the River Thames between Essex and Kent.

Peter, does Mr MacKinlay's age have anything to do with the story?

If so, Ricco, you are in trouble. And I am next. But surely in a thousand years no orger would conjure up a scheme like this one.

peter macdonald
23-Nov-06, 17:19
No Canuck i just copied the story as it was from a newspaper .... Im also getting to that age!!!

johno
23-Nov-06, 17:26
Charge Scots for driving into England’

Published on 23/11/2006

A PROPOSAL to charge motorists for driving from Scotland into England was branded “barking” today.

Labour’s Andrew MacKinlay, MP for Thurrock in Essex, said he wants to see drivers charged £1.50 for every journey taking them south of the border, although it would not apply in the other direction.It is one of two private Bills he wants to introduce at Westminster on road pricing.

But Scottish National Party transport spokesman Fergus Ewing hit out at the idea today.“The SNP have long argued that Scotland pays dearly for the union with England,” he said.

“Now a Labour MP is proposing that on top of that extra cost, we should pay more to travel to England.

“This is barking.”

crikey, i thought the hammer of the scot,s passed away years ago.
just show,s how wrong history can be:confused

canuck
23-Nov-06, 17:35
No Canuck i just copied the story as it was from a newspaper .... Im also getting to that age!!!

Thanks Peter. I was just concerned that the English press had some knowledge of a craziness gene which kicks in at 57 and by giving the fellow's age was warning readers to not take him seriously.

golach
23-Nov-06, 17:38
Thanks Peter. I was just concerned that the English press had some knowledge of a craziness gene which kicks in at 57 and by giving the fellow's age was warning readers to not take him seriously.

Hmm Canuck are you insinuating that all over the age of 56 are crazy? You have done it this time [lol]

Mr P Cannop
23-Nov-06, 17:38
is this the scottish parliament or the house of commons ??

peter macdonald
23-Nov-06, 18:11
Its a private members bill at Westminster

Bobbyian
23-Nov-06, 20:15
Hmm Canuck are you insinuating that all over the age of 56 are crazy? You have done it this time [lol]

arghhhh that means I´ve only got just over 10 days of sanity left I´ll have to lock myself up for christmas:)

canuck
23-Nov-06, 23:51

No golach, I wasn't insinuating anything. I was just wondering if the writer of the article, which the all time great ice hockey fan peter macdonald was quoting, was suggesting that there was some kind of crazy gene activated at 57.

Ricco, Bobbyian it looks like you are both quite safe.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
23-Nov-06, 23:54
£1.50 to go over the Border.Widnae bother me as long as I got my £1.49 change back.

JAWS
23-Nov-06, 23:55
I think I mistook years for months! :lol:

Bobbyian
24-Nov-06, 20:31
No golach, I wasn't insinuating anything. I was just wondering if the writer of the article, which the all time great ice hockey fan peter macdonald was quoting, was suggesting that there was some kind of crazy gene activated at 57.

Ricco, Bobbyian it looks like you are both quite safe.

thanks Canuck I can now sell the straightjacket on Ebay

obiron
24-Nov-06, 21:27
doesnt seem very fair. still we can always copy and charge folk to come in scotland..

Abdullah
24-Nov-06, 21:31
What a bloody moron, gives the english a bad name.
Promote hatred, become like Andrew MacKinlay.

Bobbyian
24-Nov-06, 22:08
What a bloody moron, gives the english a bad name.
Promote hatred, become like Andrew MacKinlay.

You don`t have to give the English a bad name. They have a bad Name.

Abdullah
24-Nov-06, 22:14
You don`t have to give the English a bad name. They have a bad Name.
Seriously, I have nothing against the english apart from a friendly rivalry.
People like Andrew MacKinlay are just imbeciles who inadvertentlystir up old hatreds which need to be burried in the past.

JAWS
24-Nov-06, 23:06
Having looked back at the original post the amount of the suggested charge has made me a little suspicious. Had the amount been £5 or £10 I would be more likely to take the suggestion as being serious, but £1.50?

Private Members Bills never go anywhere except the waste-bin unless Governments decide there is a good reason for them to become law and I would hardly think any Government would alter it's own legislative timetable for something like that.

I'm just wondering if the suggestion has been made in order to draw attention to some other piece of stupidity involving a similar amount.
I am, of course, giving the Honourable Gentleman the benefit of the doubt by assuming he has not really completely lost his marbles.

j4bberw0ck
28-Nov-06, 11:04
Thank heavens someone can see through what's going on here.......... in a nutshell, JAWS.