PDA

View Full Version : Brothel in Thurso?

secrets in symmetry
04-Jun-12, 00:02
This is a bit of a long shot, but there must be some Thurso oldies that can confirm or refute this....

I was told today by an ex US Navy dude that there was a popular brothel in Thurso back in the 60s. Allegedly, you first went to the "reception" in an upstairs bar in Princes St. You then chose your "date", paid the barmaid in advance, and then headed off to meet her in a rented flat a few blocks away. Unfortunately, he couldn't remember the name of the bar.

Is this true, or was I being taken for a ride?

I don't recall hearing tales of this in Wick....

rogermellie
04-Jun-12, 01:31
only upstairs bar i can think of in Princes Street was the 'One Up' , maybe that's where the name came from ....

theone
04-Jun-12, 01:51
The building on the corner at the square that the council have been trying to get the owners to repair was known as "the brothel" in the late 80's.

billmoseley
04-Jun-12, 17:43
i'm guess these girls might be past their sell by dates now so i would look else where for some fun.

Corrie 3
04-Jun-12, 18:39
i'm guess these girls might be past their sell by dates now so i would look else where for some fun.
They would be about right for me Bill, do you have any address's?

C3..............;)

billmoseley
04-Jun-12, 18:43
They would be about right for me Bill, do you have any address's?

C3..............;) yes but not sure what time they open

billmoseley
04-Jun-12, 18:46
Maybe there is a business opening here. do you think it would work and there would be much call for it

Alrock
04-Jun-12, 18:46
yes but not sure what time they open

Are you talking about their legs there?
http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs24/f/2008/021/4/c/devil_laghin_by_Scotsgirl_606.gif

Corrie 3
04-Jun-12, 19:21
There was talk of Lybster Police Station being turned into one, all they have to do is change the blue light for a red one.

(@Alrock....I bet your post disappears very shortly, nice one, made me laugh)!!! ....:lol:

C3.............:roll:;)

philupmaboug
04-Jun-12, 20:51
Brothel in Lybster.......bit like having a fridge in the Arctic ;)

Phill
04-Jun-12, 21:12
i'm guess these girls might be past their sell by dates now so i would look else where for some fun.I heard Rooney is heading up 'ere!

John Little
04-Jun-12, 21:18
I heard Rooney is heading up 'ere!There goes the neighbourhood then...

Phill
04-Jun-12, 21:20
'salright, don't think he's bringing the missus!

joxville
04-Jun-12, 22:52
Maybe there is a business opening here. do you think it would work and there would be much call for itI doubt if it's a money-maker, there's too many good amateurs :-)

secrets in symmetry
04-Jun-12, 23:49
only upstairs bar i can think of in Princes Street was the 'One Up' , maybe that's where the name came from ....Whereabouts in Princes St was the One Up? (I assume it's no longer trading.) The "reception" for the alleged brothel was near the bottom end of Princes St.

The building on the corner at the square that the council have been trying to get the owners to repair was known as "the brothel" in the late 80's.Was it a bar previously?

linnie612
05-Jun-12, 00:35
Whereabouts in Princes St was the One Up? (I assume it's no longer trading.) The "reception" for the alleged brothel was near the bottom end of Princes St.

It was a bit along from the left of the Comm.

theone
05-Jun-12, 01:41
Whereabouts in Princes St was the One Up? (I assume it's no longer trading.) The "reception" for the alleged brothel was near the bottom end of Princes St.

Above the Tall Tale book shop. It was also known as the Coral Lounge for a while.

Was it a bar previously?

No. An old townhouse converted into flats opposite the Pentland. 100m away from the One Up/Coral.

secrets in symmetry
05-Jun-12, 18:12
It was a bit along from the left of the Comm.Thanks linnie, I know where the Comm is. I've frequented it on more than one occasion. :cool:

Above the Tall Tale book shop. It was also known as the Coral Lounge for a while.Thanks, I found Tall Tales (and the Comm) on Google Streetview.

No. An old townhouse converted into flats opposite the Pentland. 100m away from the One Up/Coral.Ok, I think we can rule it out then.

Can any Thurso worthies (or other oldies) confirm that the One Up was once the "reception" for a brothel? The latter was allegedly near Rose St - not in Rose St, but near it.

You don't have to admit to being a client. :cool:

secrets in symmetry
05-Jun-12, 19:43
You don't have to admit to being a client. :cool:Or an employee.... :cool:

billmoseley
05-Jun-12, 19:50
i can just see S I S as a pimp with his harem lololol

gleeber
05-Jun-12, 19:52
Just for the sake of clarity, not that clarities so important on the org, the pub in question was called the Sheiling in the 60s, was a respectable cocktail bar and was one of the few bars in Thurso where men took their wives out for a drink at the weekend. The rest is just pure nonsense. and caters more for the fantasies of the opening poster and some of the orgs other devients. :roll:

Corrie 3
05-Jun-12, 20:13
and caters more for the fantasies of the opening poster :roll:
Aye, he is full of fantasies.......making out he is a scientist is the biggest of his fantasies by far!!

C3................

secrets in symmetry
05-Jun-12, 20:20
i can just see S I S as a pimp with his harem lolololCan you bus them in for me? :cool:

Just for the sake of clarity, not that clarities so important on the org, the pub in question was called the Sheiling in the 60s, was a respectable cocktail bar and was one of the few bars in Thurso where men took their wives out for a drink at the weekend. The rest is just pure nonsense. and caters more for the fantasies of the opening poster and some of the orgs other devients. :roll:A respectable cocktail bar, eh? Did the "respectable" men used to put their keys in a lucky dip, or did they leave their wives chatting and smoking in the bar when they "popped out for a bit of fresh air"? :cool:

This is a serious thread gleeber. Are you suggesting this bar was the scene of a weekly Caithness version of Abigail's Party, or are you telling me I've been led up the garden path by an old American serviceman whose imagination is better than his memory?

rogermellie
05-Jun-12, 22:12
are you telling me I've been led up the garden path by an old American serviceman whose imagination is better than his memory?

we can speculate as to where this brothel might have been, but without any corroborating witnesses, then aye, you're the one being taken for a ride ... ya diddy ;)

on the other hand ... ask your pal if the stairs leading up to the bar were insanely steep, at the top were the bogs and through a door on your right led you through to the bar, then it was definitely the Sheiling/Coral/One Up

gleeber
05-Jun-12, 22:22
Can you bus them in for me? :cool:

A respectable cocktail bar, eh? Did the "respectable" men used to put their keys in a lucky dip, or did they leave their wives chatting and smoking in the bar when they "popped out for a bit of fresh air"? :cool:

This is a serious thread gleeber. Are you suggesting this bar was the scene of a weekly Caithness version of Abigail's Party, or are you telling me I've been led up the garden path by an old American serviceman whose imagination is better than his memory?

I take most threads seriously on the org. They all mean something.
Perhaps I wasnt privvy to the comings and goings at the Sheiling but I imagine I would have heard about the stuff your on about only because in a small town it would be difficult to hide it. Your talking about wife swapping now. Maybe your not talking nonsense and your old American sailor did have to pay for it when he was in Thurso, but I doubt it. I cant see the point behind bringing it up on the org either, whether its true or false. You wouldnt have walked into the Sheiling 40 odd years ago and shouted wheres the brothel around here so I cant for the life of me understand why you would do it here.
Apart from that I have no objections to whatever turns you on.

secrets in symmetry
05-Jun-12, 23:17
we can speculate as to where this brothel might have been, but without any corroborating witnesses, then aye, you're the one being taken for a ride ... ya diddy ;)

on the other hand ... ask your pal if the stairs leading up to the bar were insanely steep, at the top were the bogs and through a door on your right led you through to the bar, then it was definitely the Sheiling/Coral/One UpThanks for the details! I'll ask him - in the unlikely event that I ever see him again....

I take most threads seriously on the org. They all mean something.
Perhaps I wasnt privvy to the comings and goings at the Sheiling but I imagine I would have heard about the stuff your on about only because in a small town it would be difficult to hide it. Your talking about wife swapping now. Maybe your not talking nonsense and your old American sailor did have to pay for it when he was in Thurso, but I doubt it. I cant see the point behind bringing it up on the org either, whether its true or false. You wouldnt have walked into the Sheiling 40 odd years ago and shouted wheres the brothel around here so I cant for the life of me understand why you would do it here.
Apart from that I have no objections to whatever turns you on.I brought it up on the forum because it seemed a good place to find people who might know something about Thurso in the 60s - and I have done exactly that!

I brought it up because I was intrigued by what the retired gent with a glint in his eye told me on Sunday. Not being a teanabowler, and not having been around in the 60s anyway, I didn't know if he was telling the truth, telling a tale, or just winding me up for fun. I still don't know for sure.

What I do know is that the bar out of which the alleged business was conducted is no longer there, and more than 40 years have passed since then. The past is not a place that exists somewhere "out there" - it exists only in your head, so your analogy about shouting it out in that bar is weak.

Thanks anyway for your help. :cool:

Tubthumper
06-Jun-12, 13:06
A brothel in Thurso? Oh dear-deary me!
But where could this den of iniquity be?
A staircase quite steep to pay Madam at bar
Then up Princes Street just a short way, not far

Who staffed this establishment, what were their names?
Who charged this poor sailor for romantic games?
What happened to workers, those diligent lasses?
Who laid down their lives just to please inflamed masses?

Some forty years gone since the time that's been mentioned
It's a pretty safe bet that the girls have been pensioned
But even today, and despite menopause
Would shakes and gyrations earn them some applause

Or have they brought up lots of children demanding?
Are they - like their customers once were - upstanding?
If gent from the states were to visit the town
Could he pay them to pull their support stockings down?

What joy that a girl could indulge in such play
Gain exercise while earning lucrative pay
But wait - I have heard that the staff at this place
Were actually chaps dressed in fishnets and lace

Yes funny-dressed blokes came from Brora each week
A wallet of cash and some friendship to seek
Oh Secrets in Symmetry, contact your friend
Find out if you can what he got in the end

secrets in symmetry
06-Jun-12, 21:51
Funny you should say that Mr Tubthumper
As a fine pair of jugs showed under his jumper