PDA

View Full Version : State of the roads!

wings
17-Jan-05, 21:27
I wonder if my car insurance will cover me, should my car be swallowed up by a hole that the Council have left? Or have not repaired? ?
The roads are just absolutely diabolical up here now. There was a gaping hole there at Richards garage for long enough. At the bottom of Nicolson street the council have had a hole there for days. No signs up or anything! The stone chippings theyve put down ((only twa months ago!) on the road past Meiklejohns to the coop are all lifting and rattling off my car everyday! On the way to Thurso i have to avoid all the blooming graters sticking way up past the road level! This is from the street towards Lidls. I'm sure Bt and Dounreay workers would have noticed??
And when ever the council decide to do some work ((that means when there not leaning on there shovel by the side of the road!!)),, they dig up the road and fill it over in even a worse state than when they started!!
Its seems every few meters your avoiding the ...HOLES!!! No escape.. [mad] [mad]

What do u think?

What does our road tax pay for? Where on earth does the Wick Council spend there money?

William
17-Jan-05, 22:23
What does our road tax pay for? Where on earth does the Wick Council spend there money?

i totally agree with you this stinks, and the roads are worse than ever.

But the thing that really seems pointless it every time with out failure as soon as a road has been newly done some one digs it up why could they not orginise it so it was donr before??

The Angel Of Death
17-Jan-05, 22:49
Totaly agree just like the bit of road coming into wick i remember that being dug up on a weekly basis !!! now i just drive on the middle of the road sick and tired of it also am a wonder at avoiding all the pot hols on the road up to bt as well comes we practice !!!

Maybe we should all stop paying our road tax after all i thought that was the point of it to make the roads better and all that !!!

unicorn
18-Jan-05, 01:01
on our way to wick the other day a car passed us and threw up a large stone about 3/4 inch chip not usual road chip around the bower quarry turnoff and we now have a lovely repair to do to the windscreen i have since heard of 2 others thatthis happened to last week and thought it would be interesting to know just how many others this has happened to recently why should we pay out extra on insurance cos chippings possibly coming off lorries are causing this cant the road be swept be council sweeper or even quarry staff?? and thats my moan over :)

Lou18
18-Jan-05, 09:41
I completely agree! I have had to have the tracking on my car done twice in the last couple of months due to a huge hole just outside Thurso police station, it's fine if there are no cars coming in the opposite direction as you can avoid but if there are other cars then tough luck - you have to go through it!

Plus - have you ever driven down to Scrabster - the road down there is horrendous!!

The Pepsi Challenge
18-Jan-05, 11:39
Run a campaign to have the roads corrected. But perhaps the local press should invite people to write/phone in with pot holes they've spotted: naming the location and the (potentiol) seriousness of it. Then, they could run a piece, publishing pictures of said pot holes. This would encourage - and put pressure - on the local council to do something. There would be a few disappointed at the upgrading of the roads, though, however: the local garages. There must be a few rubbing their hands with glee.

skydivvy
20-Jan-05, 21:55
better still, why not take photos and post them on caithness.org?

Mr P Cannop
20-Jan-05, 22:06
good plan

TRUCKER
20-Jan-05, 23:12
Before blaming the Council for all the repairs needing done check who should do the repairs.

Richards garage/Thurso police station towards Scrabster: Complaints to B.E.A.R.
Nicolson street:Complaints to Scottish Water. :D

Riffman
21-Jan-05, 00:45
I have to travel to Thurso most days each week, and the chippings are wrecking my windscreen. I now have 3 large chips with cracks , one of which is in my vision, and numerous small chips. I seem to get at least 1 new chip a week. If this carries one my windscreen is going to need serious repairs at the next service. [evil]

Why do the council bother with the spray and pray surface, (spray chippings, pray it lasts longer than a week)?

Oh well, thats my rant over..

Riff

skydivvy
21-Jan-05, 09:59
Why do the council bother with the spray and pray surface, (spray chippings, pray it lasts longer than a week)?

Oh well, thats my rant over..

Riff[/quote]

Isn't it Bear who's responsible for the roads, not the council?
I know this is a different gripe, but We drove to Inverness in white out conditions - it was horrendous. We met the first gritter at midday, just north of Inverness.

Riffman
21-Jan-05, 11:04
Bear have to do the A9, they don't do the Wick to thurso until you get the the A9 part. It is crazy.

jay
21-Jan-05, 13:24
Here in Thurso the roads that were resurfaced eg Castlegreen Road, already have large bare patches where the chips are missing - quite slidy in places in recent weather.

Also have you noticed the state of the pavements - Gas board have been digging everywhere - my brand new sitting room carpet now has little black spots of tar all over it

wings
21-Jan-05, 18:03
Trucker -"Before blaming the Council for all the repairs needing done check who should do the repairs.

Richards garage/Thurso police station towards Scrabster: Complaints to B.E.A.R.
Nicolson street:Complaints to Scottish Water. "

Yep i forgot it would be Bear that would check those parts of the roads i mentioned. But you say the bottom of Nicolson street is Scottis Water.. How come? Was it they who dug it up? It still hasnt been repaired and i will call them next week if your sure its Scottish Water?

TRUCKER
22-Jan-05, 17:25
Wings
It was Scottish Water that came and dug up the road when there was a water pipe burst. So they have to repair the road or pay a contractor to do the repair for them. :D

daviddd
22-Jan-05, 18:23
The Council roads dept and BEAR both seem to fail to check that work by contractors is done properly - when the road is dug up - e.g. where a new house is built and the services go across the road - the finish when it's put back is so shoddy that it turns into ruts within a few weeks. I've seen this time and time again - no-one from the council or BEAR seems to check this work properly. There's also a few farmers around with old machinery that scrapes on the road and carves it up - I don't see why the council tax payer should have to pay for repairing such damage! [mad]

TRUCKER
23-Jan-05, 17:02
Fair point daviddd :D Who do you think could do the job?

spiggie
24-Jan-05, 14:59
Here in Thurso the roads that were resurfaced eg Castlegreen Road, already have large bare patches where the chips are missing - quite slidy in places in recent weather.

Also have you noticed the state of the pavements - Gas board have been digging everywhere - my brand new sitting room carpet now has little black spots of tar all over it

Gas board, water board, electricity board, why can't they all get together and share eachother's holes?

Zael
24-Jan-05, 18:59
Gas board, water board, electricity board, why can't they all get together and share eachother's holes?

Having working on a contract in Aberdeenshire paid for by all of the above, I can tell you that NONE of them know with better accuracy that "within 2 meters" where their pipes, cables etc are actually located under the roads. unless of course the road has not been resurfaced and still bares scars.

When they start sharing holes, the sun will be a black disc on the horizon of a distant world.