PDA

View Full Version : away for christmas??

young
23-Nov-06, 15:04
just wondering if anyone else has to work at christmas or be away from home/family. My kids dad is working on the rigs for christmas day right through newyear aso!! first time he will have been away from the kids at christmas himself and kids not very happy!:confused

unicorn
23-Nov-06, 15:26
We want to go away for xmas as a family but our daughter wont allow it, maybe when she is older.

aileenmac
23-Nov-06, 15:41
I am going to Brighton to be with my family - canny wait! My daughter is going to attempt her first Christmas dinner so it should be great.

grantyg
23-Nov-06, 17:26
I`m spending the festive season in wick!

bobsgirl
23-Nov-06, 18:32
To me Christmas has got to be at home with the Hubby, kids and Grandmother-in-law. I could never go away for xmas!
I do sympathise with you though young, my best mates hubby has just not long had a call to say that he will be away offshore for Christmas, they have 3 young kids. Not nice for kids or the hubby!!:~(

Alice in Blunderland
23-Nov-06, 18:41
Oh dear my hubby is also working over Christmas.He will be doing a week of nights in Liverpool Royal so wont be home until the New Year so if you are admitted to that hospital over the festive period you can give him a hug from me and the kids he will be the knackered looking doc with huge bags under his eyes as nights are his worst shift.It wont be the same but we are planning to make up for it in the new year.

lassieinfife
23-Nov-06, 19:11
For the first time in 15 years I will not be working Christmas or Boxing day and the new boss for some reason has also given e the !st and 2nd Jan off too ................. yipeeeeeeeeeee:lol:

.......... but watch this space someone just bound to phone in sick [disgust]

paris
23-Nov-06, 19:20
All those with partners away for Xmas i feel for you all, but most of all i feel for all the family's out there who's partners will NEVER be coming home for Xmas, this year or years to come. I hope they get through it OK. jan x

Bobbyian
23-Nov-06, 20:10
I kno the feeling,

.......... but watch this space someone just bound to phone in sick [disgust][/quote]

I hav this year no oncall duties for the first time in 3 Years which is making me suspicious!!!!!!

cuddlepop
23-Nov-06, 21:40
We.re still trying to sort out the off duty for Christmas and New Year,Either way I'll have to work one of them while the rest of the household are off for both:~( .
I'm sure the patients would rather be home too,so best smiley face for the festive season.:D

bobsgirl
23-Nov-06, 23:23
We.re still trying to sort out the off duty for Christmas and New Year,Either way I'll have to work one of them while the rest of the household are off for both:~( .

I guess I am just glad that my hubby is self-employed, he pops into the office to check mail and stuff over the festive season but usually home for at least the whole of the festive period same as school times.

willowbankbear
23-Nov-06, 23:30
Looks like I will be:~( Im due to come home next Thursday, then go away on the 19th for 3 weeks. Its a job , I suppose

zappster
23-Nov-06, 23:35
Worked both last year... home on the 14th Dec for 3weeks this year YIPPPEEEEE

mums angels
23-Nov-06, 23:41
My hubby got a call yesterday to say he had to go offshore for four weeks over christmas to Angola, Africa...he just got back from there on sunday night and is off again on the 6th so is going to miss Xmas and new year...havn't told the kids yet , i havn't got the heart yet.I'm trying to come to terms with being on my own with the kids this year for xmas...will have to fight the urge not to have a pizza for xmas day. :~(

Hubby also missed sons 1st birthday and sons fifth birthday this year ..only consolation is that he's home for our daughters next week :D

Also the first christmas away from the kids and me , he's very upset about it ...Money ain't everything !!!

Emms
23-Nov-06, 23:45
I'm working Christmas eve, Christmas day, and Boxing day (including nights) but don't really mind because it's nice to be able to do something for those who are less fortunate - especially at this time of year.

I am M.D of the residential home that I'll be working in and by doing these shifts myself I am enabling the staff to have three days off to spend with their families, and also get to spend some 'fun time' with my clients.

My family? - well they are all coming into the home to have dinner with us, so I may be away from home but I won't be away from the people I love. Makes perfect sense to me - evryone's happy.

young
23-Nov-06, 23:47
My hubby got a call yesterday to say he had to go offshore for four weeks over christmas to Angola, Africa...he just got back from there on sunday night and is off again on the 6th so is going to miss Xmas and new year...havn't told the kids yet , i havn't got the heart yet.I'm trying to come to terms with being on my own with the kids this year for xmas...will have to fight the urge not to have a pizza for xmas day. :~(

Hubby also missed sons 1st birthday and sons fifth birthday this year ..only consolation is that he's home for our daughters next week :D

Also the first christmas away from the kids and me , he's very upset about it ...Money ain't everything !!!

you are right there money aint everything!! people have said to me think about the extra money my kids dad will get on top of his wages for working on the rigs for christmas day but i would rather have family at christmas time
than the money

Cedric Farthsbottom III
23-Nov-06, 23:50
I'm an Ayrshire boy,but christmas as always will be in Wick wi' ma family eating hunners o' Turkey and selection boxes,a few ciggies,a few beers;) and playing wi the boys' new toys!!!!:lol:

Emms
23-Nov-06, 23:57

This post made me feel really sad. If you have camcorder thingy (yes I am not technical) could hubby not record a message. You could then sit down and view it on Christmas day with kids ('hubby's speach' - bit like 'Queens speach' - but better). Not perfect but it might make you all feel a bit closer on day. Just a thought.

bobsgirl
24-Nov-06, 00:00
This post made me feel really sad. If you have camcorder thingy (yes I am not technical) could hubby not record a message. You could then sit down and view it on Christmas day with kids ('hubby's speach' - bit like 'Queens speach' - but better). Not perfect but it might make you all feel a bit closer on day. Just a thought.

That is a brill idea. Hubby must record it by himself though for ALL the family to get the nice surprise, then wrap it up under the Christmas Tree! Good one Emms!

mums angels
24-Nov-06, 00:04
you are right there money aint everything!! people have said to me think about the extra money my kids dad will get on top of his wages for working on the rigs for christmas day but i would rather have family at christmas time
than the money

Yeah i keep getting the same comments from family members but its driving me mad..you realise at times like this that money is far from important. Especially when you have no family up here to spend it with and i have a couple of freinds that have very kindly invited us over for xmas dinner but unfortunatly its no the same and all you want to do at xmas is stay at home and enjoy ...I will be doing my best to make sure xmas is still great for the kids but it will be very difficult.

I told the woman who phoned hubby to say hes away to call back after school and explain to our kids why daddys no going to be home ..she wasn't even appologetic

mums angels
24-Nov-06, 00:08

Just suggested this to my hubby and he thinks the idea is great , he liked bobsgirl idea also about wrapping it up and putting it under the tree. thank you emms:D

just a shame i can't do the same for him from the kids ..they have no videos/Dvd players out there...:(

Emms
24-Nov-06, 00:16
Just suggested this to my hubby and he thinks the idea is great , he liked bobsgirl idea also about wrapping it up and putting it under the tree. thank you emms:D

just a shame i can't do the same for him from the kids ..they have no videos/Dvd players out there...:(

Happy to help. Shame hubby can't view message from his family whilst working but you could maybe tape Christmas day for him to see when he returns.

Next best thing; write him a really nice letter from you and kids that he can read on Christmas day. He could take this with him - but not allowed to peek before 25th.

willowbankbear
24-Nov-06, 00:24
[quote=mums angels;163990

I told the woman who phoned hubby to say hes away to call back after school and explain to our kids why daddys no going to be home ..she wasn't even appologetic[/quote]

Thats the price of oil Im afraid:( Shouldve told her"Its been in the ground for millions of years, a couple more weeks wont hurt eh"!!!;)

mums angels
24-Nov-06, 00:24
yeah did think of letter and will try to record as much as i can but with a one year old needing help to open things it might be difficult. Do my best though. Thanks again.

gave hubby one of his pressies early and hes having stocking when he gets home so that i can still put it out for him xmas day...no point wrapping things for him to take with him they'll just open them at customs:~(

cookie
24-Nov-06, 16:46
Know the feeling young , this is the first year my hubby is working away over xmas don't know what it will be like for myself and our two boys , but i think it will be harder for him being away from all the family. :~(