PDA

View Full Version : Would you like to take part in a sponsored abseil?

Mandy
17-Jan-05, 19:45
Hi everyone

We have arranged a sponsored abseil in Caithness, to take place on Sunday 8th May. All money raised will be going to the SSPCA - the sponsored abseil is part of our fundraising campaign. We are also taking part in a jungle trek in Costa Rica in November, to raise funds for the SSPCA.

The Scottish SPCA receives no government or lottery funding – last year it cost £7 million to run the organisation. The many achievements of the Society and its success are made possible by the tremendous support of the Scottish public, our fundraising branches, and from sponsorship partnerships forged between the Society and Scottish business and industry.

Taking part in a sponsored abseil is a fantastic challenge, and we are looking for as many volunteers as possible to take part, and raise as much money as possible.

Please contact us if you are interested in taking part, so we can arrange numbers and sponsor forms for everyone - this is a great opportunity, and will be a great day out.

We really need as many people as possible to take part. Please contact me by pm or e-mail me at jungletrek@btopenworld.com, with your details. Thanks.

The Godfather
17-Jan-05, 20:08
Where would it take place?

Mandy
17-Jan-05, 20:40
Hi.

We're not sure yet, as it would depend on the numbers and ages of people taking part. Possibly Latheron. The Mountain Rescue Team will be dealing with the abseil itself - they will show everyone how to do it, and deal with safety issues etc. We are just organising it, and giving them a donation at the end of the day, for all their help, and the use of their expertise and equipment.

William
17-Jan-05, 22:26
That sounds great, i will do it and my stepdad said he would to

wickchick
18-Jan-05, 19:51
Are they any specific age?

Mandy
18-Jan-05, 19:54
I'm not sure if there is an age limit to be honest, but I know that some youngsters took part in a sponsored abseil not long ago - and a SuperGran took part too!

wickchick
18-Jan-05, 20:01
Great !! well i will ask around to see if i can get any freinds to join me and get back ? are they a limited number of places?
:D

Mandy
18-Jan-05, 20:05
We're hoping to get as many people as possible, so we can raise as much money as possible.

We are also thinking about organising a small prize for the person who raises the most sponsorship money, so more details to follow regarding that.

wickchick
18-Jan-05, 20:37
My mate and i are giving you a definate yes to going ahead with this and cant wait :D

Mandy
18-Jan-05, 22:11
Ok - that's great thanks! Once we have the sponsor forms ready, we'll post more info on here. Once we have your details, we can send out the forms etc.

C'mon everyone - take up the challenge! :D

Mr P Cannop
18-Jan-05, 22:33
Ok - that's great thanks! Once we have the sponsor forms ready, we'll post more info on here. Once we have your details, we can send out the forms etc.

where will it be held ??

William
18-Jan-05, 23:09

where will it be held ??

Hi.

We're not sure yet, as it would depend on the numbers and ages of people taking part. Possibly Latheron. The Mountain Rescue Team will be dealing with the abseil itself - they will show everyone how to do it, and deal with safety issues etc. We are just organising it, and giving them a donation at the end of the day, for all their help, and the use of their expertise and equipment.

tut tut paul :P

David Swanson
18-Jan-05, 23:39
I'm not sure if there is an age limit to be honest, but I know that some youngsters took part in a sponsored abseil not long ago - and a SuperGran took part too!
A rough guide for a minimum age is around 7-8 years. The important thing is size. Youngsters sometimes don't have enough weight to go down the rope themselves. That needn't stop them having a go though.
Bob Kerr from Assynt Mountain Rescue is organising the abseiling. The last sponsored abseil he did in Caithness was with BT Retail. If you look at pictures 17-20 on the BT Retail part of his website http://www.iabseiledwithbob.co.uk/ you will see a youngster who was too light himself doing a tandem abseil with Bob.
You can also see possible locations for the abseil at Latheronwheel or Culfern.

©Amethyst
19-Jan-05, 12:47
I'd love to do it for a good cause as I'm not too great with heights. I'll cope, but I's just a big scaredy cat.

What's the minimum weight... as I have a brother who's 10 and slightly heavier than me (and I'm -almost- 20)?

And is there a minimum amount of money to be raised for the jungle trek? 'Twould be a fantastic adventure all for a good cause! :)

Mandy
19-Jan-05, 20:17
Again, I'm not sure if there is a weight restriction, but I'll try to find out.

We have to raise at least £5000 for the jungle trek, but we are hoping to raise more than that if we can, as the SSPCA really need all the help they can get. The fundraising has been quite difficult so far.

Mandy
21-Jan-05, 00:08
Just bringing this up to the top again.

Any other adventurous people out there, interested in raising money for a great charity?

As I said, we need as many people as possible to take part, in order for this to be a success. Please contast us - the animals in Scotland need our help.

©Amethyst
21-Jan-05, 16:44
We have to raise at least £5000 for the jungle trek, but we are hoping to raise more than that if we can, as the SSPCA really need all the help they can get. The fundraising has been quite difficult so far.

This might sound like a silly question, but is that £5000 to be raised collectively or 5 grand per individual? I know someone who will be walking the great wall of China (for the tsunami disaster) later in the year if she can raise £2000 herself.

Mandy
21-Jan-05, 19:55
No, it's a minimum of £2500 for each person, but Anne and I are working together to raise the money. It's quite difficult to arrange events, and raise that kind of money, and as we are going on the trek together, it made more sense to work together to raise the money.

apollo69
21-Jan-05, 23:43
scared of heights :(

sorry!

©Amethyst
23-Jan-05, 14:17
scared of heights :(

All the more reason to do it. If you point out to people that you're scared of heights, they'll sponsor you more money ;) lol

Mandy
24-Jan-05, 19:47
Just to confirm that sponsor forms are currently being organised, and I should have them by the end of the week.

Can all interested people please pm or e-mail me their name and address, so I can send out further details and sponsor forms for you all.

Remember - we will have a prize for the person who raises the most money - the prize will be confirmed nearer the time.

This is a great opportunity, so hopefully more people will take it up. All money raised will be going to the SSPCA, which is a very worthwhile charity, and is in desperate need of more funds at the moment.

C'mon - where are all the adventurous people in Caithness? :D

Mandy
28-Jan-05, 19:56
Hi everyone.

Just to confirm that I have now received the first batch of sponsor forms. Can everyone send me their name and address by pm or e-mail if they are interested in taking part, so I can send out the sponsor forms. It's better to start collecting sponsors asap - remember we also have a prize for the person who collects the most sponsorship money!

As soon as I receive your details, I will send out sponsor forms.

C'mon everyone - don't let this chance pass you by! :D

©Amethyst
29-Jan-05, 20:52
When will the abseil be?

Mandy
30-Jan-05, 10:26
The abseil will take place on Sunday 8th May - weather permitting of course! It should be sometime in the morning, but I will confirm that nearer the time.

The location will also be confirmed nearer the time, as it depends on the age and number of people taking part, but it will be in Caithness.

I've received a few names and addresses from people, so I will be sending out sponsor forms in the next couple of days.

I know the abseil is a while away, but it's best to start collecting sponsors as soon as you can - you never know, you could be in with a chance of winning the prize! :D

Mandy
30-Jan-05, 21:55
Hi everyone

Just to confirm that sponsor forms are being sent out in the post tomorrow. If anyone needs any more sponsor forms, just give me a shout. ;)