PDA

View Full Version : Emergency childcare?

Dadie
01-Jun-12, 23:08
Who can you use/find when you are really stuck?
And dont know really how long for...(hospital appt and totally screwed)
could be a few hours (inverness and back) or overnight and next day depending...
Most childminders need to know how long for beforehand etc....

Allsorts
02-Jun-12, 08:57
Why don't you ask your local childminders if they have spaces and if they would be willing to help you our in an emergency, most childminders can't do overnight though so have you got family that could pick up and have over night.

PPP also could take during the day as they have a creche

Emergency Childcare
11-Mar-13, 13:33
It might be a little late to be posting this advice, but there's a service called Emergency Childcare (http://www.emergencychildcare.co.uk)which provides a backup childcare service across the UK, which you can book with as little as 30 minutes notice. Normal childcare arrangements for working parents will break down around 9 times a year, so this is a really useful service if you might find yourself in a situation where you need backup childcare (http://www.emergencychildcare.co.uk). It's a membership service, but currently offering a 3 month free trial, so you can see how it works for yourself...

Dadie
11-Mar-13, 13:59
Yes, but, whats the coverage of the service in Caithness?
Had a look at the website and there is only a nanny service for KW1 postcodes, none of the other options are covered....
And as for overnights, evenings and weekends etc :eek:

The PPP creche facility is good for those daytime emergencies (9-5) and can be booked on the day if they have spaces....
And its good to have a backup plan just incase of unforseen disasters .....

Oh BTW its a what if senario......

openminder
11-Mar-13, 18:08
Have u tried NOSCA,, they have a centre in thurso and castletown,, there services is mon to fri,, 7am to 6pm,, and very flexible with parents,also provide great quality childcare:roll:

pat
11-Mar-13, 19:57
dadie
Your in box is full.

annemarie482
11-Mar-13, 20:17
Yes, but, whats the coverage of the service in Caithness?
Had a look at the website and there is only a nanny service for KW1 postcodes, none of the other options are covered....
And as for overnights, evenings and weekends etc :eek:

The PPP creche facility is good for those daytime emergencies (9-5) and can be booked on the day if they have spaces....
And its good to have a backup plan just incase of unforseen disasters .....

Oh BTW its a what if senario......

ppp is 8 to 6 :)
short notice not usually a problem

Dadie
11-Mar-13, 20:44
Should clarify...
I dont need childcare....
It was a question ages ago (6 months ago) as what to do if an emergency would arise and there was no one to take kids such as a medical emergency etc.......just wanted to know the answer in what to do!
There are people that have no family up here and wanted to know............one of those questions that I still dont have the answer to:confused

squidge
11-Mar-13, 21:22
If there was a serious emergency and there was truly no one to look after children for a period of time then the responsibilty would likely fall on social services. The problem there may very well be that there are a lack of foster carers to provide places for emergency care.

When we moved to Caithness we were 500 miles from my family, we sort of kept our fingers crossed that this sort of emergency didnt happen. Once we got to know people I made some lovely friends and found a lovely (unregistered) childminder all of who would have helped in an emergency and who I would have helped right back. I was also lucky that on at least two occasions my mum flew over from France to help us and look after me when everything turned upside downs.