PDA

View Full Version : Olympic torch at John o'Groats

cazmanian_minx
01-Jun-12, 19:10
I got quite excited when I saw news of the torch visit to JoG posted in the Business section:

http://www.caithness-business.co.uk/article.php?id=3046

as I thought it was missing us completely and going from Inverness to Orkney by plane.

But it's a duplicate!
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2012/03/25/london-2012-chiefs-send-fake-olympic-torch-for-far-north-tour-86908-23801196/

The real one will be in Shetland, we get what the organisers are euphemistically calling a 'substitute'. Not sure I'll bother going :(

Alrock
01-Jun-12, 19:34
Is someone gonna get to keep it so that they can sell it on ebay for £150000?

Rheghead
01-Jun-12, 22:22
But it's a duplicate!

For fear of spreading apathy, I think it is best if we consider it to be a side branch of the main event. :roll: :)

Kodiak
01-Jun-12, 22:40
I honestly think this is a Cop out and a Complete Disgrace. I will not be there as I will boycott this event and I would suggest that everyone in Caithness should do the same.

argyle kid
02-Jun-12, 12:31
Hi all,
If it went to Lands End it should have gone to Groats. Simple!!!!

Regards AK.

patrick_boo
02-Jun-12, 12:54
I think that's the only reason the fifteen minute photo op came up - an afterthought to cover themselves. John O'Groats is, whatever people may think of it, an iconic location and questions would have been asked if the torch hadn't visited. Now that box is ticked - and hopefully the pitifully short shrift given to the Northern Highlands in this 'UK event' will be overlooked.

secrets in symmetry
02-Jun-12, 13:16
It's their loss - they won't get any ice cream from Flavours. It serves them right!

Venture
02-Jun-12, 14:59
I honestly think this is a Cop out and a Complete Disgrace. I will not be there as I will boycott this event and I would suggest that everyone in Caithness should do the same.

Such a shame that you have chosen to suggest that people boycott this event. The local people who were chosen to carry the torch in Inverness the day before, will be there on the day and it will give their families and friends who couldn't go to Inverness, a chance to see them take part in the photocall/ spider operation. A lot of time and effort has also gone into organising entertainment on the day, with local pipers, dancers etc. so I would suggest that people come along and enjoy the day.

Corrie 3
02-Jun-12, 15:03
We have been fobbed off yet again in Caithness, for me, it has to be the real thing or nothing!!

C3.............:eek::eek:

changilass
02-Jun-12, 15:10
I would go to the one being organised by the pupils of Castletown school and totally boycot the phot oportunity.

secrets in symmetry
02-Jun-12, 15:49
Such a shame that you have chosen to suggest that people boycott this event. The local people who were chosen to carry the torch in Inverness the day before, will be there on the day and it will give their families and friends who couldn't go to Inverness, a chance to see them take part in the photocall/ spider operation. A lot of time and effort has also gone into organising entertainment on the day, with local pipers, dancers etc. so I would suggest that people come along and enjoy the day.You can't reason with these people Venture. They would find something to complain about even if the real olympic flame (whatever that means) came to Caithness.

Good luck to everyone taking part in the celebrations at Groats. I hope the sun shines on you. :cool:

2little2late
02-Jun-12, 19:25
I got quite excited when I saw news of the torch visit to JoG posted in the Business section:

http://www.caithness-business.co.uk/article.php?id=3046

as I thought it was missing us completely and going from Inverness to Orkney by plane.

But it's a duplicate!

The real one will be in Shetland, we get what the organisers are euphemistically calling a 'substitute'. Not sure I'll bother going :(

John O' Groats is not the most northerly point of mainland Britain it is Dunnet Head. Whoever wrote the article should make sure they know their knowledge of Scotland is correct before they write about it.

Iffy
02-Jun-12, 20:55
I, for one, am not really bothered (or should I use the word "wasn't !") about the "Olympics" being held in "Britain".

But, having observed the designated route of the "torch" I must admit that it made my blood boil !!!

There are 5 "stops" for said torch to touch down in Scotland...........roughly gauging a percentage of 15% (if less) compared to the whole of the United Kingdom !!

Good grief, Southern England (and all those wee places in-between) have the equivalent of the "5 Stops" of Scotland within a range of about 5/10 miles !!!

Och well, once again, it just goes to show, how important we "peasants" are; North of the border !!! [evil]

theone
02-Jun-12, 21:16
But, having observed the designated route of the "torch" I must admit that it made my blood boil !!!

There are 5 "stops" for said torch to touch down in Scotland...........roughly gauging a percentage of 15% (if less) compared to the whole of the United Kingdom !!

Good grief, Southern England (and all those wee places in-between) have the equivalent of the "5 Stops" of Scotland within a range of about 5/10 miles !!!

Och well, once again, it just goes to show, how important we "peasants" are; North of the border !!! [evil]

I too am shocked at this statistic!

Why does Scotland, with a population of around 8.5% of the UK get so many stops, nearly twice as many as it should have based on your 15%?

Disgusted...........

Moira
02-Jun-12, 21:34
Such a shame that you have chosen to suggest that people boycott this event. The local people who were chosen to carry the torch in Inverness the day before, will be there on the day and it will give their families and friends who couldn't go to Inverness, a chance to see them take part in the photocall/ spider operation. A lot of time and effort has also gone into organising entertainment on the day, with local pipers, dancers etc. so I would suggest that people come along and enjoy the day.

Don't you just love it when some folk listen with their ears closed or read a thread with their eyes shut?

Thank you Venture for pointing out the facts. I hope you have a great day, enjoy....... :)

secrets in symmetry
02-Jun-12, 21:52
It's next Sunday Moira. Quick, edit your post before anyone else notices. :cool:

Moira
02-Jun-12, 22:04
Thanks secrets in symmetry for pointing out my mistake. I've sorted it.

I don't often click on posted links. So sorry.

Westsider3
04-Jun-12, 22:51
I would go to the one being organised by the pupils of Castletown school and totally boycot the phot oportunity.

Totally agree Changilass! I have seen the entries received for the Olympic Torch Competition the School has run and they are amazing!!! It will be well worth a visit to Groats that day!!