PDA

View Full Version : Let's All Laugh at the Dying Fly....

Alrock
30-May-12, 16:06
Don't know about you but I hate flies & find them damn annoying (got one crawling across my screen right now) & tricky to kill...
Thought about getting a Venus Fytrap but upon a bit of Googling discovered that they are not all that effective as a pest control device & that you are far better off with a pitcher plant...

Now my question.... Does anybody know where I can get one up here in Caithness?

teddybear1873
30-May-12, 16:11
Dunno but 2 chop sticks works for me :D

Alrock
30-May-12, 16:48
Dunno but 2 chop sticks works for me :D

I don't do Karate... but... I might try a Black Pudding...
http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs24/f/2008/021/4/c/devil_laghin_by_Scotsgirl_606.gif

Corrie 3
30-May-12, 16:49
Why not use good old Tesco flykiller? Brilliant stuff and clubcard points also......
I don't know what time they open though!!!

C3..................:roll:;)

teddybear1873
30-May-12, 16:52
Electric fly traps. Think they cost around 35 quid.

Alrock
30-May-12, 16:59
Why not use good old Tesco flykiller? Brilliant stuff and clubcard points also......
I don't know what time they open though!!!

C3..................:roll:;)

Better not chance it then... long way to trek only to discover that they have closed.

Electric fly traps. Think they cost around 35 quid.

Did think about that, but decided a pitcher plant would be well cooler, besides, whilst doing my research, discovered that they make the fly explode showering fly shrapnel everywhere....

Will just have to get one online & hope it survives the postal service...

Corrie 3
30-May-12, 17:25
Better not chance it then... long way to trek only to discover that they have closed.

I don't think they ever close but I am not sure what time they open!!

C3..............:roll:;)

Alrock
30-May-12, 17:28
I don't think they ever close but I am not sure what time they open!!

C3..............:roll:;)

Well... If they never close then by default they must never open & if they never open then they must always be closed... QED

Corrie 3
30-May-12, 17:56
Well... If they never close then by default they must never open & if they never open then they must always be closed... QED
I'm not sure about that Alrock, I think I will have to Google it or ask someone on here if they know!!

(ps, rolled up newspaper works well)!!

C3..............:);)

gleeber
30-May-12, 17:58
I try and avoid killing flies and usually manage to get them out the door or window without too much difficulty, in fact sometimes its good fun and challenging at the same time.
It takes all types though. :roll:

pat
30-May-12, 18:17
Get one of those electronic plug in devices - chases mice etc away in winter and you change settings to flies in the summer, keep pest free all year.
I also have one of those blue light fly crematers in the kitchen, have not even found the remains of one fly or heard it zapping one yet, maybe the electronic chaser is working very well.

Think Birons in Wick will stock all varieties of pest control as the shop seems to stock everything else - phoned Birons the other day to ask if stocked small 0 rings, they had packs of them, as could not find any on the island, had tried all electrical and plumbing suppliers (after phoning remembered about Fishermen's Co-op in Stornoway, they stocked them) so did not have to get them to send the 0 rings over.

billmoseley
30-May-12, 20:31
who remembers doing the dying fly on the dance floors of pubs and clubs. that takes me back years

John Little
30-May-12, 20:55
Flies are no match for an elastic band.

George Brims
30-May-12, 21:19
I don't do Karate... but... I might try a Black Pudding...
http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs24/f/2008/021/4/c/devil_laghin_by_Scotsgirl_606.gif
I've never tried eating black pudding with chopsticks. Must be hard.

ducati
30-May-12, 21:26
Cats are very good at controlling flies. Trouble is when chasing them across mantlepieces, window ledges, dressers etc. they tend to demolish all your china. :eek:

secrets in symmetry
30-May-12, 21:26
I've never tried eating black pudding with chopsticks. Must be hard.I doubt it's harder than eating rice with chopsticks.

shazzap
30-May-12, 21:43

Did think about that, but decided a pitcher plant would be well cooler, besides, whilst doing my research, discovered that they make the fly explode showering fly shrapnel everywhere....

Will just have to get one online & hope it survives the postal service...

Yuk. Fly excrement and bits everywhere.

David Banks
31-May-12, 02:00
Bug screens for windows and doors anyone? Plenty made (and used) in Canada.

pat
31-May-12, 09:03
Yes David but the midgie still get through the screens, do not know how but they just appear.