PDA

View Full Version : Whos your'e favourite guitarist.

moncur
17-Jan-05, 16:38
Right. Im bored at work so im just wondering who the big influences are on guitarists up here.
My personal favourite is Slash but im also amazed by Kirk Hammet and Mr Hendrix.

theboss
17-Jan-05, 17:08
Mine is also Slash, and has been since I was eleven years old. Went to see him with Velvet Revolver on Friday night and although they were let down badly by the appalling sound, I thought Slash was as fantastic as ever. There's something about his style of playing I just love.

Idlewild
17-Jan-05, 22:45
Have to agree on all counts and have to admit Slash is definately my all time favourite. Axl was nuts, but Slash could steal the show from him anyday. The whole new GN'R thing bugs me. I'm so glad that all the elements that I loved so much about them are in Velvet Revolver, and of course Scott Weiland as singer, now theres a man who likes the hard stuff.
As for other guitar gods dunno..... Not really into Vai, or stuff like that.

samcant
17-Jan-05, 23:00
Eddie Van Halen.

The sound at the VR gig was bloody awful. That room is terrible, i've never seen a good-sounding gig there.

Then again i was so drunk i could have been watching addie harper and not noticed.

Idlewild
17-Jan-05, 23:10
No way! I have a rule although I love a drink like the rest of them, I never drink at a gig!! I know probably sounds boring! But some gigs you go to you need your wits about you especially in certain mosh pits!!

linzy222
18-Jan-05, 02:02
STEVIE TAYLOR OF COURSE!! ;)

guitarzan
18-Jan-05, 08:55
i have a lot of respect for many guitarists but the whole reason I ever picked up a guitar was down to James Hetfield and Kirk Hammett. They are both excellent guitarists, but I love Jaymz for his crushing riffs and Kirk for his blistering solos ( although not on St Anger :( ) Other influences for me are Hendrix, Zakk Wylde and Van Halen :)

The Pepsi Challenge
18-Jan-05, 11:00
VR: the venue they played in has perennial sound problems e.g. it sounds like dying camels from within an aeroplane hangar. So don't look too much into it.

My fave guitarists, however - for those who care - are (in no particular order): Judah Bauer; Leo Nocentelli; Bo Diddley; Vernon Reid; Frank Zappa; Page Hamilton; R.L Burnside; anyone who performed/performs under the Fat Possum label.

Cheers.

squidge
18-Jan-05, 15:09
Fave guitarist is Gary Moore - he makes it talk to me. I was hugely impressed though by a band i saw in Inverness about a year ago and their lead guitarist. They were called "The Shoes" and his versatilty and dexterity were fabulous i was well impressed.

zappster
18-Jan-05, 18:26
my gods are ...Paul Gilbert,George Lynch,Randy Rhoads,Jake E Lee,Zakk Wylde,Eddie Van Halen,Dweezil & Frank,Stevie Vai ... I could go on for ever ...theres hunners that I Love!! :D

ctbass
18-Jan-05, 19:54
my views on one of the best guitarist is.... without a doubt Mark Tremonty - the guitarist out of Creed/Alter Bridge..... you gotta love RATM for the riffs! .... Wes Borland is amazing whether you like him or not lol .... James and Kirk ..... and if your counting in bass guitarist - Ryan from mudvayne is the best on this earth!close by being Flea.

ŠAmethyst
19-Jan-05, 13:01
I'm gonna seem v sad here and say Ben Moody. I haven't heard anything of him since he left Amy to deal with Evanescence herself.

mike.mckenzie
20-Jan-05, 16:17
Mine is also Slash, and has been since I was eleven years old. Went to see him with Velvet Revolver on Friday night and although they were let down badly by the appalling sound, I thought Slash was as fantastic as ever. There's something about his style of playing I just love.

I saw them last Sunday in Manchester MEN Arena, same thing as you said really, Slash was class as ever, just had to lift up his guitar and everyone went nuts! Sound was baaaad, a really big soup, that was disappointing.

Weiland was ok as a front man, what is all that weird running about?! Last time I saw him play was when I was a nipper in 1992! (Gateshead stadium, Get In The Ring Tour)

fender
20-Jan-05, 23:14
i have loads one must be jeff healey he is blind but has traded licks with clapton and not looked an idoit.also billie joe armstrong from greenday he may not shred but he can write catchy songs and solo's.but for pure speed kirk hammet he's amazing.

apollo69
21-Jan-05, 23:52
Linzy222 - are you Stevie's agent :D

linzy222
23-Jan-05, 16:22
LOL no i just think he's great!!

I got a cd off him, it only has 3 songs on it but its brilliant!!

I have it in the car and it is always playing!!

KEEP EM COMING STEVIE!!

Even my kids love his music

WE ALL LOVE YOU STEVIE ;)

apollo69
23-Jan-05, 17:40
He is a very good guitarist.
You still should be his agent though!

linzy222
24-Jan-05, 13:06
really!! :)

Whys that??

samcant
24-Jan-05, 22:36
Trey Spruance from Mr Bungle is an incredibly good guitar player. As is Dino Cazares, formerly of Fear Factory.

That Stevie Taylor is terrible, a really awful player.

Bassman
26-Jan-05, 23:30
Robert Fripp - original, modest, innovative. Can be a sometimes, but there's a thin line between genius and madness. Anyone heard the latest Crimson album ? The best since 'Red'.

Saxo01
27-Jan-05, 14:23
There's so many but Stevie Ray Vaughan & Gary Moore long time faves of mine Ted Nugent & Zakk Wylde also played a lot.

Camra
28-Jan-05, 08:58
Try listening to Jeff Becks recent CD's

~~Tides~~
30-Jan-05, 14:32
Jimmy Page!!! (where did he go anyway)

Why do drugs when you can stand in your bedroom with the squash racket goin to Communication Breakdown?

darktide
03-Feb-05, 17:18
mmm favourites

Robben Ford, stevie ray vaughan, andy gunn, billy morrison, gary moore, steve morse

out of all the picks i still opt robben ford as my main fave the guy has a lovely mix of jazz blues in his playing :)

nikki
23-Mar-05, 23:19
Any 1 here got any favourite local guitarists?

Jimbo
25-Mar-05, 21:19
Angus Young from ACDC does it 4 me, his solos sound brilliant and also he is magic 2 watch on stage.

steeko
28-Mar-05, 22:49
Cant believe Herb Alpert hasnt been mentioned yet.

Saveman
29-Mar-05, 15:53
....I think there might be a good reason for that...

zebedy
03-Apr-05, 23:16
Joe Patterson

HarmonyQueen
07-Apr-05, 22:02
I got a cd off him, it only has 3 songs on it but its brilliant!!

The 80s are long gone, Stevie should move with the times, what he does has all been done before, and alot better too. No disrespect to the man, but his music/CD is scary and dated.

killarifts
09-Apr-05, 01:23
thats what i was trying for, and anyway the 80s guitar thing is back in vogue ;)

HarmonyQueen
09-Apr-05, 14:16
Sorry man, but your CD is unlistenable. You are a good guitarist, dont get me wrong, but why not put some originality into your playing? That's what Satriani did and look at him!

The Pepsi Challenge
09-Apr-05, 15:46
Sorry man, but your CD is unlistenable. You are a good guitarist, dont get me wrong, but why not put some originality into your playing? That's what Satriani did and look at him!

Satriani? A bald, jaded guitar Olympist, who makes a living out of telling disillusioned teenage boys with bad hair and bad complexion how to make their poke-your-eye-out Ibanez (probably) squeal with delight. In any guitar magazine. He must have the monopoly on every guitar rag going. Still, Summer Song, eh?

HarmonyQueen
09-Apr-05, 18:30
Go and listen to Surfing With The Alien and you will know what i am talking about. A breath of fresh air at the back of the clapton/beck wannabes.

HarmonyQueen
09-Apr-05, 18:34
Stevie, who all is in your band anyway and why change from solo??

Geo
09-Jun-05, 20:55
For me it's Gary Moore. He gets so much feeling into it and I've enjoyed the varying styles he has gone into over the years.

Jeid
10-Jun-05, 10:42
Synyster Gates from Avenged Sevenfold, he's pretty class

but Favourite has to be good old Zakk Wylde, should hear this guy play... awesome!!

Pot Heid
14-Jun-05, 17:39
Peter Green (original Fleetwood Mac) and Paul Kossof (Free) both superb blues player with real feel for the music and of course Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Jeid
15-Jun-05, 14:42
i'm actually shocked and appalled that nobody has mentioned Dimebag (R.I.P) he's awesome!

have to agree with the pepsi dude, i ain't a fan of Satch(or any of those widdly guitarists like Vai etc) its just a big guitar w*nk if you ask me. i can appreciate that they are good players n all, but i'd rather listen to the likes of Zakk or Slash to be honest.

Totally forgot about Tom Morello... i love that guy, his riffs are mega awesome!!!

Wes Borland from Limp Bizkit is ace, pity his band suck ass though

loganbiffy
16-Jun-05, 14:15
too many to name but one..... jamie lenman, simon neil, kurt cobain, dave grohl, james iha, billy howerdell, deron miller.

mike.mckenzie
16-Jun-05, 17:12
Ah a grunge fan I see.

loganbiffy
17-Jun-05, 17:14
any other grunge fans out there?, doesn`t seem to be too many kickin about.

Jeid
17-Jun-05, 19:47
indeed logan, there isn't many of us, but i like all that stuff!

Cobain, Legendary! what about Stone Goassard from Pearl Jam, he's pretty flippin sweet!

loganbiffy
17-Jun-05, 21:24
yeah dude he rocks, you playin in a band just now jeid?

Jeid
18-Jun-05, 10:09
not at all man. i'm pretty much a bedroom guitarist these days. pretty lame :(

zappster
18-Jun-05, 12:45
From the grunge era ma favs were Jerry Cantrell & Kim Thayil

loganbiffy
18-Jun-05, 15:44
jeid, you wanna get together sometime and have a jam? what bands you playin at the mo?
got any original stuff?

mike.mckenzie
21-Jun-05, 12:18
I still listen to Alice In Chains, Mother Love Bone, Soundgarden and of course Nirvana.My 20Gb MP3 player got me back into a lot of stuff I had left behind a few years ago. Stick it on random, its great!

Jerry Cantrell could play a bit as well.

Jeid
21-Jun-05, 15:16
jeid, you wanna get together sometime and have a jam? what bands you playin at the mo?
got any original stuff?

i sent you a private message Logan, but it sounds very possible, especially with the influences you listed in your thread :)