PDA

View Full Version : Update problems - again!

badger
22-Nov-06, 20:01
My computer is definitely weird as every time I see a Windows update installing I know I'm going to get some new problem. This time it's one I've had before which had gone away but - now it's back. I have XP and a wireless adapter for BT broadband which won't connect when I switch on. Sometimes it takes a restart to get it going, sometimes I have to unplug the adapter and plug it in again. Currently the restart seems to be the answer but it's very boring every morning and why would a restart get me connected when normal first time booting up doesn't? Makes no sense at all. Who knows, maybe the next update will sort it - or maybe not. It was fine for ages, connecting like a little angel. Can't stand intermittent faults.
Moan over .... (till tomorrow)

badger
24-Nov-06, 12:24
This is a wonderful Forum - only have to post a problem and it goes away but shhhh. hope my computer's not listening. It can be very touchy.

Bobinovich
24-Nov-06, 15:39
Sorry if this is a bit obvious but have you tried a Repair on your wireless connection? I know it doesn't answer the reason WHY it's not connecting automatically, but it will be a bit quicker than a restart.

Off the top of my head (if you're using the Windows wireless manager), right click the wireless indicator in the toolbar, choose Status and there is a Repair option.

badger
25-Nov-06, 21:01
Knew I shouldn't have said anything - asking for trouble to say it was OK as it promptly wasn't again. When it doesn't connect the network connection icon just doesn't appear so I know it's not going to work straightaway. It's all very odd. Sometimes the light on the wireless adapter doesn't come on so I have to unplug it then plug it in again - then it works. If the light's on and it still doesn't connect I've come to the conclusion that I'm trying to connect when the signal is weak and there seems no way of trying again without a restart. I did ask BT about this and got the usual completely irrelevant answers from someone who didn't understand the question but it appears the only way to connect is by restarting. Must admit I don't understand this as I have friends with broadband who can disconnect and reconnect but it seems I can't. I live up a long farm track at the end of a long country lane and it's a miracle it does anything. Very slow but at least much better than the old dialup.

blueivy
15-Dec-06, 21:07
Knew I shouldn't have said anything - asking for trouble to say it was OK as it promptly wasn't again. When it doesn't connect the network connection icon just doesn't appear so I know it's not going to work straightaway. It's all very odd. Sometimes the light on the wireless adapter doesn't come on so I have to unplug it then plug it in again - then it works. If the light's on and it still doesn't connect I've come to the conclusion that I'm trying to connect when the signal is weak and there seems no way of trying again without a restart. I did ask BT about this and got the usual completely irrelevant answers from someone who didn't understand the question but it appears the only way to connect is by restarting. Must admit I don't understand this as I have friends with broadband who can disconnect and reconnect but it seems I can't. I live up a long farm track at the end of a long country lane and it's a miracle it does anything. Very slow but at least much better than the old dialup.

When it's not working (ie. after the first reboot) does it actually appear in Device Manager (Start->Settings->Control Panel->System->Hardware->Device Manager button - look under the Network Adapters tab)?

Does it appear in the same place AFTER you reboot and it's working?

Is it a USB wireless adapter?

What's the model and what's your router/modem model (is that also from BT)?

badger
20-Dec-06, 12:24
Sorry Paul, only just seen this. What a shame as it misbehaved again this morning. Next time I'll have a look at what you suggest. It's all BT equipment and yes, it's a wireless adapter.

badger
21-Dec-06, 19:06
Ok - did it this morning. USB Wireless adapter light came on but no connection. I can always tell if it's not going to work as only the icon which shows signal strength appears (with a red cross to show it's not connected), whereas when it's going to connect I also get the little icon that looks like a PC with waves coming off it. Anyway I went into Control Panel, Network Connections just to see what was happening and it showed -
Network Connections – LAN or High Speed Internet – Disabled, Firewalled

So then I did my usual reboot, it connected OK, went into Control Panel again and this time got
Local Area Connection – LAN or High Speed Internet – Disabled
Wireless Network Connection – LAN or High Speed Internet – Connected

Don't know if that tells you anything. If not better leave it until after Christmas and maybe I'll try the online chat.

Thanks and Happy Christmas

blueivy
22-Dec-06, 13:46
Ok - did it this morning. USB Wireless adapter light came on but no connection. I can always tell if it's not going to work as only the icon which shows signal strength appears (with a red cross to show it's not connected), whereas when it's going to connect I also get the little icon that looks like a PC with waves coming off it. Anyway I went into Control Panel, Network Connections just to see what was happening and it showed -
Network Connections – LAN or High Speed Internet – Disabled, Firewalled

So then I did my usual reboot, it connected OK, went into Control Panel again and this time got
Local Area Connection – LAN or High Speed Internet – Disabled
Wireless Network Connection – LAN or High Speed Internet – Connected

Don't know if that tells you anything. If not better leave it until after Christmas and maybe I'll try the online chat.

Thanks and Happy Christmas

Hi Badger,

How is your wireless adapter being 'managed'? Windows can manage wireless connections, however most adapter software that you install will also do it too.

The reason I ask is I had exactly the same problem before using a Netgear wireless adapter. I have a server and when I started up the laptop and logged in it would NEVER connect to the server. Once I logged in to the laptop locally I would start the wireless software, it would connect, I'd log out and then log in again using my server account and it always worked.

The solution for me was to turn off the adapter software managing the connection and turn on Windows managing the connection. I've read a lot about Windows being poor at managing connections, however that was pre-SP2. I've never had a problem logging in immediately now that Windows manages the connection.

This may or may not be your problem, but it may also be worth a try!

Merry Christmas!

badger
23-Dec-06, 20:06
Thanks Paul. Not sure my brain will cope with that just now but will try again later. Meanwhile

have a very Happy Christmas

and thanks for all your help.