PDA

View Full Version : Midge advice please!!!!

kjandcrew
28-May-12, 00:52
Firstly, i apologise if this is posted in wrong section. Can anyone help with Midge advice please. I have terrible trouble with these and only have to be outside for ten mins and get bitten quite badly, especially around the eyes but have bites everywhere from in between toes and normal back arms and legs, ears and hairline. I was wearing trousers socks and a shirt. I have used a number of things to help with the itch after being bitten but wondered if anyone had any advice on what to do or could receommend something that would prevent them from biting in the first place. As a ps i have googled this and there are a number of things to try just like to know if anyone can recommend anything. Thank you

Fran
28-May-12, 01:19
Boots have an anti midge spray, but the best thing is avon body lotion in turqoise plSTIC BOTTLE FROM ME OR FROM HUGO ROSS FISHING TACKLE SHOP. iT REALLY DOES WORK.

kjandcrew
28-May-12, 01:30
Thank you - is it the dry oil spray, i read about it - if you sell it id gladly buy some and give it a go please thanks again :)

annemarie482
28-May-12, 01:32
im sure its called avon skin so soft.

far north soap (based in caithness) are also advertising midgie repellant
https://www.facebook.com/#!/farnorthsoap

kjandcrew
28-May-12, 01:32
Sorry meant to ask will i be able to use it on my face and around the eye area - i have seven lumps around the right eye its really uncomfortable :(

kjandcrew
28-May-12, 01:38
Thank you annemarie ive messaged them

laguna2
28-May-12, 06:15
Definitely recommend Avon's Skin so Soft!

I suffered badly from midge bites and their after effects but this is absolutely fantastic! Was able to go out and garden in the summer without the wee horrors making my life a misery! Yes, you can use it on your face and around the eye area as it is a skin lotion.

I couldn't find an Avon rep so bought it from them on line.

Gronnuck
28-May-12, 08:25
Firstly, i apologise if this is posted in wrong section. Can anyone help with Midge advice please. I have terrible trouble with these and only have to be outside for ten mins and get bitten quite badly, especially around the eyes but have bites everywhere from in between toes and normal back arms and legs, ears and hairline. I was wearing trousers socks and a shirt. I have used a number of things to help with the itch after being bitten but wondered if anyone had any advice on what to do or could receommend something that would prevent them from biting in the first place. As a ps i have googled this and there are a number of things to try just like to know if anyone can recommend anything. Thank you

Unfortunately some people react badly to midge bites. If you are one of the unfortunate there are things you can do. Take a non-sedating antihistamine tablet daily, I use Piriteze; this reduces the body's reaction to the bite, the inflamation and the itch. Use Avon Skin So Soft it comes as a Lotion or as a Dry Oil Body Spray, this will deter the midgie. I find both these steps very effective although the Piriteze might take a day or two to 'kick in'. There was a time when I dreaded the warmer weather because my body reacted so badly to the bites.
Things to think about; if you're sitting outside and the air is still, use a fan, midgies don't like a breeze. Alternatively burn Citronella Candles.
Wear light coloured clothing and cover yourself up and if things get really bad get yourself a midgie hat and tuck the net it.

pat
28-May-12, 10:21
Get a midge eater - it attracts the female midge which is the one that bites and reproduces.
Midges are territorial so if you get rid of the females you should then have a clearish area.
I have a small midge machine and usually it is on from beginning of April until end of September early October, machines collects lots and lots of midgies, I can safely garden or sit out.
This year I am late in putting it out so will have to put up with them until machine gets working and clearing the midgies which have suddenly appeared.

buzzard
28-May-12, 10:58
Skin so soft works but makes you very oily, it's sometimes annoying if you sweat and it gets in your eyes, also makes my specs very greasy.
Another product that works well is saltidin. There's a repellent called 'Smidge' being advertised now which contains this, but you can also buy it cheaper, in a product called 'Ecoguard' ('Extreme' is the strongest one, which I use). I wouldn't use it on a daily base, as all repellents are toxic to some degree (this one is much safer than DEET), but it does come in handy!

kjandcrew
28-May-12, 11:53
Thank you everyone - ive found an Avon rep and going to try that together with antihistamines - ive also ordered some Ecoguard so shall see how it goes :) - I dont mind the odd few bites but this is daft - does anyone know why they prefer some people to others? I do have a severe reaction to Cleggs (i think thats what they are called) - they rest of my family and children arent bothered by them at all!!!

Beat Bug
28-May-12, 14:54
I have antihistamine tablets on prescription during the season, and they definitely help. Eating Marmite is also effective, as the beasties don't like the odour emitted through our pores. We can't smell it, but it puts them off. I've used Avon Skin so Soft, and it works. I've also invested in a can of Smidge, which I have yet to try. A midge net whilst gardening is a must!

Gronnuck
28-May-12, 17:28
- does anyone know why they prefer some people to others? I do have a severe reaction to Cleggs (i think thats what they are called) - they rest of my family and children arent bothered by them at all!!!

The midge doesn't prefer one person or another. The bloodsucking female midgie creates a small hole in the skin and injects a miniscule amount of anti-colagulant while she feeds, this forms the centre of an inflamed red weal and a lump (papule). In some people this is little more than a small spot but for others it can become a large blister, especially if the midge has been left to feed undisturbed for several minutes. The problem is each individual's body reacts differently to the visit; your own body defences responds by releasing histamine to combat the irritation, this in turn can cause anything from minor itching to severe allergic reaction.

We're never going to get rid of midgies, they've been around longer than mankind but we can learn to deal with them or as pat suggested we can use a machine to kill them. Unfortunately I've found they seem to have a huge number of reinforcements. This is why I opted to use Piriteze. I still get attacked but the effects are much less irritating.

beetlecrusher
28-May-12, 21:05
The skin so soft is ok but I find the midgies stick to it so you're left with loads of dead insects stuck to your arms. It does sting your eyes if you start to sweat. I've found Jungle Formula very effective.

gaza
28-May-12, 21:41
Hi skin so soft is the best, the army use it, they bought in cartons of the stuff only to discover that the formula looses its effectiveness after one year no matter how you store it, so only buy what you need for this year.

witchschild
29-May-12, 09:29
Totally agree about Avon Skin so Soft - brilliant stuff. Have always have serious reactions to midgie bites and this really helps. Also taking anything containing vitamin B6 in large quantities helps as well. Good luck and hope the summer is bite free for a change!!

kjandcrew
29-May-12, 11:47
Thank you again - some very enlightening and useful information :)

Fran
29-May-12, 20:37
Definitely recommend Avon's Skin so Soft!

I suffered badly from midge bites and their after effects but this is absolutely fantastic! Was able to go out and garden in the summer without the wee horrors making my life a misery! Yes, you can use it on your face and around the eye area as it is a skin lotion.
II am an Avon

I couldn't find an Avon rep so bought it from them on line. I am an Avon rep AND iLIVE IN WICK (sorry my pc isnt working right)

Birons
30-May-12, 13:20
We stock quite a few items to help get relief from midges ranging from ultra sonic sound devices to zappers.

Two products that stand out are storm lanterns that you can burn the Citronella lamp oil in, (outdoor only) and the new BUG R OFF insect repellent gel made by Far North Soap.

Kodiak
30-May-12, 15:25
Here is is Photo of Me and Mrs Kodiak getting ready for a walk in Dunnet Forest. We never have any trouble with Midge's dressed like this. :-

http://i.imgur.com/G2oBq.jpg

essex boy
31-May-12, 21:37
I had my first bites of the year today, later than normal! Up here in the forest I wear a midge face net. It is the only way I have found to keep them of my face when on machines. The only down side is that they restrict air flow so can make you hot!