PDA

View Full Version : mini roundabout

alistair harper
24-May-12, 22:26
Can i ask all drivers in caithness if they know how to use the mini roundabout at the end of the bridge in wick as i nearly took out a car and a motorbike today as the drivers did not give way to their right they were both coming down from the cliff road and i was turning to go up to the train station. this could have turned into a bad accident and i have found this for anyone who is unsure.

Mini Roundabouts

Approach these in the same way as a normal roundabout, but remember there is less space and time to signal and manoeuvre.
Vehicles coming towards you, they may want to turn right.
Be sure any vehicle on the roundabout is going to leave before you join the roundabout yourself.
Be aware of drivers that are using it for a 'U turn'
All vehicles MUST pass round the central markings except large vehicles which are physically incapable of doing so.
When turning right at a mini roundabout, you don't always have time to signal, but remember to check left mirror Mini Roundabouts.

Hopefully this might stop a bad accident happening.

secrets in symmetry
24-May-12, 22:34
All vehicles MUST pass round the central markings except large vehicles which are physically incapable of doing so.
Hmm, I would guess that the majority of vehicles are physically incapable of passing around the central markings on most mini roundabouts.

The things are intrinsically unsafe - four-way stops are much better.

Phill
24-May-12, 22:52
You'll be wanting indicators installed on cars in Caithness next!

secrets in symmetry
24-May-12, 23:01
Yes - and on pedestrians....

Big Gaz
24-May-12, 23:54
totally agree with Alistair on this. Having used the roundabout many times i actually dread trying to negotiate it due to the careless attitude of the "get out my way" drivers who think it is their right to use the roundabout as they see fit and not as the highway code dictates! too many times coming down the hill and trying to turn right along the riverside i have been met head-on by idiots who dont give a hoot that my indicator is flashing and just proceed carefree into my path. God knows how many times i've given the bird and evil stares to reckless drivers.....makes you wonder where they got their driving licence from....

Corrie 3
25-May-12, 03:44
You'll be wanting indicators installed on cars in Caithness next!
Wickers still wouldn't use them....Indicators? What are they for?

C3................:eek::eek:

Mrs Bucket
25-May-12, 08:26
The roundabouts in Wick sem be used differently than aywhere else. I approached yesterday from Cliff and there was three cars at each junction not making any effort to move I was the fourth and after some hesitation I proceeded no problem dont know what happened to the others. Another issue I have found is that some vehicles coming along Bridge St think they have the right of way.

Even Chance
25-May-12, 08:55
The roundabouts in Wick sem be used differently than aywhere else. I approached yesterday from Cliff and there was three cars at each junction not making any effort to move I was the fourth and after some hesitation I proceeded no problem dont know what happened to the others. Another issue I have found is that some vehicles coming along Bridge St think they have the right of way.

Aah, the good old Mexican / Weeker Standoff. Best just to go first and leave em to it. Since the road is being resurfaced at the moment, and the markings are missing, people arent even stopping. Do they not realise its STILL a roundabout, even minus the road markings?? Far aboots do half these driving tickets come fae, a luckybag?? lol:lol:

shazzap
25-May-12, 09:50
Mini roundabouts, should be removed. With them being so small. It is often a case of he/she who dares.

Phill
25-May-12, 09:59
Fixed it for you:

Can i ask all drivers in caithness.....................

Mini Roundabouts

Approach these at normal speed gripping tightly to steering wheel.
Vehicles coming towards you, ignore them.
Be sure to close your eyes.
Be aware of your own self importance.
All vehicles MUST yield to you.
When turning right at a mini roundabout, use the handbrake to expediate the turn.

billmoseley
25-May-12, 14:46
Can i ask all drivers in caithness if they know how to use the mini roundabout at the end of the bridge in wick as i nearly took out a car and a motorbike today as the drivers did not give way to their right they were both coming down from the cliff road and i was turning to go up to the train station. this could have turned into a bad accident and i have found this for anyone who is unsure.

Mini Roundabouts

Approach these in the same way as a normal roundabout, but remember there is less space and time to signal and manoeuvre.
Vehicles coming towards you, they may want to turn right.
Be sure any vehicle on the roundabout is going to leave before you join the roundabout yourself.
Be aware of drivers that are using it for a 'U turn'
When turning right at a mini roundabout, you don't always have time to signal, but remember to check left mirror Mini Roundabouts.

Hopefully this might stop a bad accident happening. now now Alistair you should know better than to expect drivers here to drive to our high standards which we have been taught on the buses.

Mik.M.
25-May-12, 17:51
Roundabouts,road markings,yellow lines,pedestrian crossings,the highway code,all foriegn to Caithness drivers.

gingernut
25-May-12, 21:32
Part of the problem is that anyone who learns to drive and passes their test in Thurso may never have negotiated a roundabout!

starfish
25-May-12, 21:46
i was told no one uses indicators in caithness as every one knows what everyone is doing and where they are going > had to laugh when i was told this but about right

Kevin Milkins
26-May-12, 00:05
I used to get very agitated when approaching a junction and some would cut across the front of you, (take the corner short)
I now approach junctions expecting this type of maneuver and find a certain unique charm to it.

Mrs Bucket
26-May-12, 10:50
Thats not the way it wasat all somebody had to make the first move and no road works at the time. But I have witnessed a near bump recently as an incondiderate/selfish driver made no allowances for the ramp.

sids
26-May-12, 11:21
Anyone who doesn't remember when Bridge St and the Cliff had right of way, shouldn't be allowed out in a car!