PDA

View Full Version : the portland arms

andrew.bowles30
22-May-12, 22:12
hi the portland arms opens its door on sat thank god it was such a shame it was allowed to close but the good news two great local men have taken it on and this time hopefully its for good bar meals and the bar will be open for meals hope to take on staff once it gets busy again :lol:

cuthill
22-May-12, 23:39
Good to hear,wish them GOOD LUCK.:Razz

Tilly Teckel
23-May-12, 00:08
I agree, I've missed the Portlands! Good luck to the new guys :)

jac1791
23-May-12, 06:56
Who has taken it over? Wish them luck, it's a shame the hotel closed!

scorpion
23-May-12, 18:29
Apparently Mr Bowles who opened the thread is one of the "two great local men " now running the Portlands !

Corrie 3
23-May-12, 19:11
Apparently Mr Bowles who opened the thread is one of the "two great local men " now running the Portlands !
Is Ducati the other one?

C3..............;)

Moira
23-May-12, 19:15
All best to the new folk at the Portland Arms.

I've driven through Lybster on a few occasions recently and it was so sad to see the hotel closed up and abandoned.

Looking forward to visiting it again now though.... :)

changilass
23-May-12, 19:27
Think the opening post is a bitty cheeky if indeed he is one of the 'great local men'.

Would have been more impressed if it had been put in the business section with a bitty more honesty and openess.

Tilly Teckel
23-May-12, 20:08
Nothing wrong with a bit of self-promotion! ;)

changilass
23-May-12, 20:15
No there isnt, so long as you say its self promotion.

Droopy
23-May-12, 20:18
http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?177913-televisions

Classy!.....

focusRS
23-May-12, 20:32
Not good to see a well known local hotel closed so best wishes for the future.

black16i
23-May-12, 20:33
http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?177913-televisions

Classy!.....

and what is wrong with them looking for cheap TV's? they are starting out in business and probubly have a budget to work to, give them a year to settle in and they may buy new, problem with some people is that they just look to find faults with everything, i wish them all the best for giving it a go!

only me
23-May-12, 21:06
good luck nice place glad someone is giving it a go just at the right time i would say

starfish
23-May-12, 21:12
and what is wrong with them looking for cheap TV's? they are starting out in business and probubly have a budget to work to, give them a year to settle in and they may buy new, problem with some people is that they just look to find faults with everything, i wish them all the best for giving it a go! totally agree people on here are to ready to put people down for trying i say good luck if it was not for these people the portlands would become another run down building for people to complain about

ducati
23-May-12, 21:14
Nope. Nothing to do with me.

Moira
23-May-12, 21:22
Local businesses, especially new starts, need to be encouraged.

What's the problem if they enjoy a few days of "glory" on the main forum before being removed to the Business Section? That was the case with another new business a few weeks ago with the new garden centre/cafe at Lochshell.

With the current difficult economic climate, especially in Caithness, should we not be supporting local, enterprising initiatives instead of "raining on their parade"?

I'd rather read a post with some hope for the future of Caithness and potential business than some of the other stuff I've read recently.

secrets in symmetry
23-May-12, 22:11
Think the opening post is a bitty cheeky if indeed he is one of the 'great local men'.

Would have been more impressed if it had been put in the business section with a bitty more honesty and openess.Lol! I realised what Andrew was saying straight away!

I think the 30 in andrew.bowles30 refers to the number of threads he can start on the same topic before he gets into trouble with the moderator. :cool:

Moira
23-May-12, 22:32
Lol! I realised what Andrew was saying straight away!
<snip>

Congratulations!

You're Andrew's new business partner then.

All best for the new venture at Portland Arms. :)

secrets in symmetry
23-May-12, 22:37
Thanks Moira. :cool:

I'll admit I had to read it twice before it made any sense at all lol!

andrew.bowles30
23-May-12, 22:58
thanks to all as we try to be as open as poss we never ment to put in the wrong section we just wanted to let every one its reopening its a local hotel and hated seeing it closed but we will move it if its a problem so sorry and yes we have a budget and as a lot of items are needed untill its back on its feet and we are employing locals so once again thanks to all for the kind posts

golach
23-May-12, 23:04
Andrew, well done with your latest venture, now I have been nice, will I get a free meal next time I am up north [lol]

changilass
23-May-12, 23:07
Congrats on your new venture, still think it would have been better if you had just said it was yourself though, could have congratulated you earlier then lol.
Will try to call in next time we are home.

Moira
23-May-12, 23:07
Thanks Moira. :cool:

I'll admit I had to read it twice before it made any sense at all lol!

No probs.

Sometimes I don't make myself as clear as I'd like to. :)

secrets in symmetry
23-May-12, 23:22
Are you trying to say you'd like a job as a barmaid? :cool:

Moira
23-May-12, 23:33
If I had the time that might be a possibility.

Not realistic though. If you were to figure in "patronising" the Portland Arms, it would be one drink for you and two for me..... ;)

secrets in symmetry
23-May-12, 23:37
That's ok - if you're paying. :cool:

We'll also need a pole dancer. Any volunteers? Changilass? Starfish? Tilly Teckel?

Pole provided.

Mrs Sweetie
23-May-12, 23:37
Excellent news. Best wishes for every success.

Dadie
23-May-12, 23:41
darn not mentioned......
but I can do bar etc politely etc ....within hubby /school hrs and reliable....with training....

secrets in symmetry
23-May-12, 23:52
Excellent news. Best wishes for every success.

darn not mentioned......
but I can do bar etc politely etc ....within hubby /school hrs and reliable....with training....Thank you for applying. The good news is that you're both hired. :cool:

Dadie
23-May-12, 23:59
Wish i WAS HIRED...Seriously.....as im a people person (ish ) and do know when to suck up....but the training would give me the heeebie jeebiees as in used to negationating the who had what toy first....and no one having it!:D

Tilly Teckel
24-May-12, 00:18
I worked at the Portlands when it was last open and, no, pole dancing was not part of my job description but I'm prepared to try anything once! Then again, if they're serving meals maybe not - I may put people off their food!

pat
24-May-12, 06:23
Best wishes to the new folk running it - great to see something and someone willing to try opening in adverse economic climate.

Will be in on next trip over.

secrets in symmetry
24-May-12, 08:42
Wish i WAS HIRED...Seriously.....as im a people person (ish ) and do know when to suck up....but the training would give me the heeebie jeebiees as in used to negationating the who had what toy first....and no one having it!:D

I worked at the Portlands when it was last open and, no, pole dancing was not part of my job description but I'm prepared to try anything once! Then again, if they're serving meals maybe not - I may put people off their food!Training will start on Monday, at 11am sharp.

People skills are important - if only for fighting off admirers when the bouncers aren't looking.

Bring your "work clothes" to change into when you arrive - don't wear them on the way here, you don't want to get arrested before you even start!

poppett
24-May-12, 10:15
Good luck with the venture. It is always sad to see hotels close up often never to re-open.

pmcd
24-May-12, 11:54
I can smell the beginnings of ageism and sexism here (always something non-PC if you look hard enough!) I would like to put myself (63 years old, male, shouts at lamp-posts) forward as a LAP-TOP DANCER. It's a great act. I dress up in white tie and tails, and tap dance on the lid of a lap-top computer on the floor. It is quite exhilarating, and dashed sexy, if I say so myself. I will also accommodate, for a small remuneration, a "private" dance, but ladies MUST supply their own tap shoes, and have feet under size 5, as my lap-top only has a 15 inch screen. There is also a roped-off VIP area where I perform the same dances, but clad only in a liberty bodice and long johns.

I hope to hear from you soon. Or my solicitors will be in touch.

linnie612
24-May-12, 12:05
thanks to all as we try to be as open as poss we never ment to put in the wrong section we just wanted to let every one its reopening its a local hotel and hated seeing it closed but we will move it if its a problem so sorry and yes we have a budget and as a lot of items are needed untill its back on its feet and we are employing locals so once again thanks to all for the kind posts

Congrats! - will be out for a meal when you're up and running.:)

p.s I think you should leave the hotel where it is. It has been there a long time and will only confuse people to move it, never mind the cost!!

teddybear1873
24-May-12, 13:11
Nice to hear the Portland Arms up and running again. My mam used to love the High Tea's there.

Maybe Orgers can have their meetings there instead of the usual curry nights.

changilass
24-May-12, 14:54
I can smell the beginnings of ageism and sexism here (always something non-PC if you look hard enough!) I would like to put myself (63 years old, male, shouts at lamp-posts) forward as a LAP-TOP DANCER. It's a great act. I dress up in white tie and tails, and tap dance on the lid of a lap-top computer on the floor. It is quite exhilarating, and dashed sexy, if I say so myself. I will also accommodate, for a small remuneration, a "private" dance, but ladies MUST supply their own tap shoes, and have feet under size 5, as my lap-top only has a 15 inch screen. There is also a roped-off VIP area where I perform the same dances, but clad only in a liberty bodice and long johns.

I hope to hear from you soon. Or my solicitors will be in touch.

No ageism involved, he invited me to apply for the job and I aint no spring chicken. Gonna have to decline as it would cost to much to reinforce the pole to carry my weight. I could alus give folks gummy smiles from behind the bar if any vacancies still left in that department.

Corrie 3
24-May-12, 17:05
No ageism involved, he invited me to apply for the job and I aint no spring chicken. Gonna have to decline as it would cost to much to reinforce the pole to carry my weight. I could alus give folks gummy smiles from behind the bar if any vacancies still left in that department.
I might be tempted to part with £2 to see you seductively swirling round a pole Changi, I am not sure why you chose a Pole though and not a Scotsman to twirl around!!
Blinking Poles, come over here and have all the fun!!....lol.

C3.................[lol][lol];)

changilass
24-May-12, 17:50
Corrie I have my very own Scotsman to swirl round whenever the fancy takes, just though a change is as good as a rest.

Corrie 3
24-May-12, 17:57
Corrie I have my very own Scotsman to swirl round whenever the fancy takes, just though a change is as good as a rest.
Lucky Scotsman, I thought you had taken a fancy to a Pole although I hear they aren't as hot as the Italians!!

C3...........;);)