PDA

View Full Version : Homebase - Customer service - Nil

Ali
21-Nov-06, 23:12
Has anybody else had bad service from Homebase?
I tried to buy stuff at the weekend, it was priced on the shelf as a reduced price but at the till they wanted to charge more! I said no as it was reduced but after much ado they said that it was priced lower but it was a mistake and they would have to charge me the higher price, NOW in my job if I priced things wrong I would have to honour it?? I was not a happy bunny! My mate bought a living room unit a few weeks ago and he's still waiting for the missing bits, another mates mother in law bought a kitchen and they supplied the wrong taps and wouldnt exchange them for the correct ones until either the wrong ones were returned or the correct ones paid for then a credit would be done when the incorrect ones were returned, the customer is in her 80's and lives out west !
Anyway.... I went to Argos and bought exactly the same thing in exactly the same box for less than the reduced price had been.
Moral of the story is to try Argos first before homebase.
I find Waters in Thurso cheaper for paint etc too.
Good customer services keep people coming back where bad service loses business. Good manors costs nothing, neither does a smile or greeting a customer when you come into a shop.
Rant over, Anybody else had any problems?
Oh and they're bloomin expensive too !!

ABC
21-Nov-06, 23:18
I suppose you have your staff smiling and greeting customers into your line of business!

And do your best to please ALL your customers??? :confused

Ali
21-Nov-06, 23:19
You know I do

Abdullah
21-Nov-06, 23:19
I tried to buy stuff at the weekend, it was priced on the shelf as a reduced price but at the till they wanted to charge more! I said no as it was reduced but after much ado they said that it was priced lower but it was a mistake and they would have to charge me the higher price, NOW in my job if I priced things wrong I would have to honour it?? I was not a happy bunny! My mate bought a living room unit a few weeks ago and he's still waiting for the missing bits, another mates mother in law bought a kitchen and they supplied the wrong taps and wouldnt exchange them for the correct ones until either the wrong ones were returned or the correct ones paid for then a credit would be done when the incorrect ones were returned, the customer is in her 80's and lives out west !
Anyway.... I went to Argos and bought exactly the same thing in exactly the same box for less than the reduced price had been.
Good customer services keep people coming back where bad service loses business. Good manors costs nothing, neither does a smile or greeting a customer when you come into a shop.
Seemingly in tesco, if something is reduced on the shelf and at the checkout they say it's a higher price, then tesco take responsibility for that mistake and you will get your money back and the item for free.

Kenn
21-Nov-06, 23:20
Same thing happened to me at my local Homebase however the check out assistant did call a supervisor who went and checked the item. I did get a grudging apology and the item at the price it was displayed.
Wonder how many others have been duped?
I don't know what the law is north of the border as it is some times different but here you are entitled to buy the item at the lower price, it is known in Common Law as "Let the Seller Beware."

ABC
21-Nov-06, 23:26
Ali

Not been in much lately!But hopefully it will get better!

Cazaa
21-Nov-06, 23:47
I bought cookies in Tescos. 2 for the price of 1. Got to the till - was charged for 2! Took it to customer services - full refund plus goods for free. Excellent.

Homebase - Floor tiles - £5.99 on the shelf. £8.99 at the till. Spoke to the manager who told me I had to pay the £8.99 if I wanted them (erm - NO). He said he'd have to "take them all off the shelf for 24hours". I was back 4 hours later - they were still there.

Bought a jacket in Zara at the weekend - £59.99 on the label - £69.99 at the till. Got it for £59.99. I told them the others were similarly priced. They immediately took them all away.

I have friends who ordered a kitchen and never got all the bits. They arrived sporadically over a period of months - you have no idea of the number of calls she had to make to finally get all of the stuff to arrive.

alistair harper
21-Nov-06, 23:52
Same thing happened to me at my local Homebase however the check out assistant did call a supervisor who went and checked the item. I did get a grudging apology and the item at the price it was displayed.
Wonder how many others have been duped?
I don't know what the law is north of the border as it is some times different but here you are entitled to buy the item at the lower price, it is known in Common Law as "Let the Seller Beware."

correct lizz
if the ticket on the shelf relates to the item you want to buy and the bar code is the same then the shop has to sell you it at the price stated.
i worked in the supermarket trade and if this happend we had to sell it at price stated.if you get caught like this stand your ground shops dont like to lose face when other customers are watching

Buttercup
21-Nov-06, 23:54
I believe a shop doesn't have to sell you anything no matter what the prices are! I remember going into a local toy shop a few years ago intent on buying a fire engine for my nephew's birthday. When I went to pay I was told it was £5 dearer than was on the price tag and that somebody had put the wrong price on it and if I wanted it I would have to pay the higher price - needless to say I told them to keep it. Most shops however do honour the shelf price for the sake of good customer relations.

Cazaa
21-Nov-06, 23:54
correct lizz
if the ticket on the shelf relates to the item you want to buy and the bar code is the same then the shop has to sell you it at the price stated.
i worked in the supermarket trade and if this happend we had to sell it at price stated.if you get caught like this stand your ground shops dont like to lose face when other customers are watching

I think I'd be right in thinking that a supermarket has a right to refuse to sell you anything/something if they so wish. Sounds crazy.

alistair harper
22-Nov-06, 00:05
I believe a shop doesn't have to sell you anything no matter what the prices are! I remember going into a local toy shop a few years ago intent on buying a fire engine for my nephew's birthday. When I went to pay I was told it was £5 dearer than was on the price tag and that somebody had put the wrong price on it and if I wanted it I would have to pay the higher price - needless to say I told them to keep it. Most shops however do honour the shelf price for the sake of good customer relations.

buttercup i just found this on the law site for retailers.

What happens if a shop charges more than their advertised price?

It could be breaking the law and risk prosecution. The Consumer Protection Act says that it's illegal to sell things for the higher price, but if the shop has made a genuine mistake, such as putting the wrong price ticket on by accident, it is very unlikely that it would be charged with an offence. Everyone can make mistakes, after all. If you feel that a shop is deliberately trying to con you or you're unhappy about the way it advertises its prices, get in touch with Trading Standards (www.tradingstandards.gov.uk).

Can't I insist that a shop sells me something at the marked price - even though they may have made a mistake?

No. This is where a lot of people get confused about their rights. Shops are not legally obliged to sell customers anything but most are happy to serve you because that's why they're in business. If they choose not to there isn't much you can do about it unless they discriminate against you because of your race, religion or sex. That is illegal.

Rheghead
22-Nov-06, 00:44
I approached homebase in Wick for a toilet and sink for my bathroom. I explained that their 6 week waiting time was too long for my needs so they made 'special arrangements for me' and assured me that it would be delivered in 2 weeks at the most. I paid for it there and then and it got delivered in 6 weeks. Nuff said, sod homebase!! First impressions count![evil]

Ali
22-Nov-06, 00:55
I approached homebase in Wick for a toilet and sink for my bathroom. I explained that their 6 week waiting time was too long for my needs so they made 'special arrangements for me' and assured me that it would be delivered in 2 weeks at the most. I paid for it there and then and it got delivered in 6 weeks. Nuff said, sod homebase!! First impressions count![evil]

You should have came to me for your bathroom, quicker, cheaper, free delivery and payment when it arrives, far better.

The Angel Of Death
22-Nov-06, 01:05
My granny went into homebase today with the love2shop vouchers that clearly state that they are accepted at homebase (its printed slap bang on the front of them) as stated on there website Here (http://www.highstreetvouchers.com/2004v/php/vouchers/hsgv.php) that they accept them but the store manager was admit and refused to accept them as payment

it was shocking as well the way she was spoken to

Rheghead
22-Nov-06, 01:07
You should have came to me for your bathroom, quicker, cheaper, free delivery and payment when it arrives, far better.

We live and learn eh? BTW which business do you run? I might upgrade the kitchen

Ali
22-Nov-06, 09:06
Sorry I dont do kitchens, just bathrooms, plumbing and heating, work wear, some electrics, dust sheets @ £3.50 plus vat plus many more bargains...
1200mm shower door for £60 inc vat....
So many bargains....
PM any questions as business adverts not allowed.

cheers
Ali

JAWS
22-Nov-06, 09:48
I think I'd be right in thinking that a supermarket has a right to refuse to sell you anything/something if they so wish. Sounds crazy.Unless things have changed recently the price shown is "an invitation to make an offer" and as such the shop does not need to accept your offer to buy.

It's possible that this might have changed with all the constant fiddling with legislation that politicians do to make themselves look necessary.
I notice people are never concerned about making a fuss when a shop undercharges, they are too busy heading for the exit in case somebody notices!

bigjjuk
22-Nov-06, 10:23
the law for items which are incorrectly priced as something like this i think......

they must sell at the price stated or remove the items from the shelf until the correct prices have been put back. I would have personally made them take it all off the shelves:)

unicorn
22-Nov-06, 12:04
I bought dustmasks in Homebase in Inverness a couple of weeks ago £3.49 for 3 I think it was and then I was in Tesco's 30 mins later and the same dustmasks same pack also for £1.99 I was not chuffed :(

henry20
22-Nov-06, 12:14
I saw a pair of gloves in homebase for £7. My hubby buys them locally for £3. Just goes to show that big retailers aren't always good value for money!

David from Stockport
22-Nov-06, 12:14
Well try going in a travel agent and getting the holiday at the price in the window .Now that does need sorting but trading standards dont seem to do much.

unicorn
22-Nov-06, 13:17
If you are looking for good holiday prices try http://www.thomson.co.uk/po/index.jsp They have great prices if you book in advance.

jay
22-Nov-06, 14:15
tried to buy bedroom furniture in Homebase - all the furniture was clearly marked as for home delivery, I asked how much this delivery was and was told £5 (to Thurso). went to the checkout to pay for the furniture and was told delivery was £30. asked to speak to the manager who explained that these goods were held in the store stock room for delivery and would be delivered by a local firm, when I asked why I had been quoted £5 he said that was for goods being delivered from the manufacturer and that the signs should not have been on the furniture. I did not buy anything. Next trip to Inverness bought a better set of furniture in a half price sale in MFI and got it delivered for £5

Ali
22-Nov-06, 14:26
I bought dustmasks in Homebase in Inverness a couple of weeks ago £3.49 for 3 I think it was and then I was in Tesco's 30 mins later and the same dustmasks same pack also for £1.99 I was not chuffed :(

Again, try me,
£1.56 inc vat for a pack of 5

:-)

golach
22-Nov-06, 15:28
Just reading all these complaints about Homebase, who is to say you will not all be complaining about the staff in Tesco and possiblely Asda soon?

Billy Boy
22-Nov-06, 15:36

so the moral of the story is homebase still got your money as argos is apart of the same company;)

bobsgirl
22-Nov-06, 16:52
so the moral of the story is homebase still got your money as argos is apart of the same company;)

This is very true but at least you are getting it at a more reasonable price, I quite often go to homebase to see the item then pop into argos to buy it. I bought a set of four wavy mirrors, which in homebase was £24.99, went next door to Argos and the same item was £14.99. Guess which one I bought.

As for the original thread I thought that if the item was displaying a price then it had to be sold for that price.

I went into Woolworths just browsing and saw the 'Disney Princess CD Player/Jewelry Box', it was priced £30 on the shelf so said to the person behind the counter I would have it at that price......anyway when she rung it up it said £47.99, I told her that I was not paying that price for it and she got the manager, they talked it over. I got it for the £30 but will say they took the price tag off straight away. It is now still selling at £40 so I made at least a £10 saving!! Very chuffed with that buy!! :D

I like a good bargain!!!

Ali
22-Nov-06, 16:53
Moral not about money, customer Service, Argos staff were better.

paris
22-Nov-06, 16:57
Our home-base here in Linc's is brill ! Also B&Q are even better. They had 2, 9ft tree ferns priced at £149.99 each , so i said to the gardening employee that it was end of season and would they except £50.00 each for them..........couldn't believe my luck as he said yes, so we brought them and now they stand proud next to our hot tub. jan x:lol:

Billy Boy
22-Nov-06, 17:10
Moral not about money, customer Service, Argos staff were better.

ok sorry about that,the moral is about customer service and the price's in your shop are cheaper;)

unicorn
22-Nov-06, 18:38
I would rather have 2 extra dust masks and more change :), using the amount of wood shavings I do a week dust masks are a necessity for my health.

ala
22-Nov-06, 19:00
Homebase do not profess to being the cheapest but what you have got is everything under one roof. Be positive and smile and I'm sure the body language will be interactive with the staff.
Homebase will survive

Rolly
22-Nov-06, 20:18
I would just like to say that i found the staff in homebase very helpfull and friendly and would like to point out that sometimes us customers put thing back in the wrong place and the next customer thinks that is the price not the fault of the shop staff as they cant follow everybody around checking that everything is in the correct place

The_man_from_del_monte
22-Nov-06, 21:09
Good manors costs nothing!

And neither do Manners, Good Manors actually cost quite a lot..... you can pick up a run down Manor pretty cheaply though ;)

black16i
22-Nov-06, 23:49

first off all, by reading all the posts, it would appear that you may work in a wholesalers? you may be in competition with homebase, therefrore it would make good sense for you to slag homebase? however, if all your mates have had such bad service , why would you want to use it? and also you find it expensive , why would you want to use it? you must have known about thier bad experiences before you went there at the weekend?

as for the pricing issue, you quote that you would honour the price if it was stated on the shelf? Bathroom suite at £1000 but misprinted and saying £100 ? would you still sell? think ure boss would have something to say on that 1.

your mate who had the problem with the taps? what ure saying is that homebase should have given him the taps and let him leave the shop with the free of charge and then expect the customer to return the wrong ones? what if the customer did not return them? they were not even for him, what if he had found the customers details somewhere and was trying to blag a free set of taps?

i know lots of people that work in homebase and they are very polite and more than willing to help, they carry to car and bend over backwards to help.......problem is you cant please all the people all the time.........or you cant please some people at all......we have been wanting a store like homebase in the community for a long time now and all we can do is slate it?

i will continue to use it, maybe some stuff is more expensive but you have a choice and i guess some stuff will be cheaper than buying elsewhere!

engiebenjy
22-Nov-06, 23:58
first off all, by reading all the posts, it would appear that you may work in a wholesalers? you may be in competition with homebase, therefrore it would make good sense for you to slag homebase? however, if all your mates have had such bad service , why would you want to use it? and also you find it expensive , why would you want to use it? you must have known about thier bad experiences before you went there at the weekend?

as for the pricing issue, you quote that you would honour the price if it was stated on the shelf? Bathroom suite at £1000 but misprinted and saying £100 ? would you still sell? think ure boss would have something to say on that 1.

your mate who had the problem with the taps? what ure saying is that homebase should have given him the taps and let him leave the shop with the free of charge and then expect the customer to return the wrong ones? what if the customer did not return them? they were not even for him, what if he had found the customers details somewhere and was trying to blag a free set of taps?

i know lots of people that work in homebase and they are very polite and more than willing to help, they carry to car and bend over backwards to help.......problem is you cant please all the people all the time.........or you cant please some people at all......we have been wanting a store like homebase in the community for a long time now and all we can do is slate it?

i will continue to use it, maybe some stuff is more expensive but you have a choice and i guess some stuff will be cheaper than buying elsewhere!

He is the boss

black16i
23-Nov-06, 00:10
you mean he owns the company????? if so then he will not have anyone to answer to, and i made a silly comment? but if he is the store manager then yeah....he will have a boss....maybe a regional manager somewhere to answer to?

mackenzie969
23-Nov-06, 00:43
:~(
I think that homebase is alright to shop in but is very expensive and i went to my local homebase here in portlethen to asked one of the staff if they had any curtains for sale and my reply was we don't have any come back in two months!
So off i went to asda and purchased a pair there that only cost me £10.00 which had saved me a packet as if homebase did have curtains i would have been looking at around £30.00 for a pair so thank goodness that asda is so close to where i live just around the corner and is always up to date with the latest in homeware and did not get told to come back in two months:lol: Great to have asda here and hope the people of caithness will reap the benefits when it comes to thurso as clothes are cheep, but good value and staff is very friendly also your shopping bill will drop as asda always has good offers on food and drink like 2 for 1 etc and the staff are very helpfull they will even offer to take your shopping home for you if you can't get a taxi or don't have a car and they will even call a taxi for you hows that for service!

frank ward
23-Nov-06, 03:12
Homebase is OK only in the sense that you can get a lot of things in the same shop, saving time and shopping around.

Power tools are frequently cheaper in a local store [eg Macleods/Winkies in Tain] or try Screwfix.

Paint is also cheaper just about anywhere else !!

As for wrongly-priced goods, the legal situation is that when the item is presented at the checkout, it is a deal between the buyer and the seller - either side can back out at any time, there is no legal obligation on the seller to sell at the marked price.

I bought a petrol-powered mower which packed in after 4 hours use. Homebase replaced it as soon as I pushed it back through the door, so I can't complain about after-sales.
This area is where the big stores squeeze out the little shops: I remember buying a phone from a small electrical store, when I returned it [a dud] the manager insisted on a credit note, I had to remonstrate for a refund [my legal right as there was no similar phone in store]. After I got my refund I never shopped there again.
But the big stores have their suppliers over a barrel - faulty goods are generally replaced by the supplier, at no cost to the store.

cullbucket
23-Nov-06, 05:18
I had a similar problem with a puppy I was trying to buy to feed to my snake. It was marked at $10 but when I took it to the counter they tried to charge me $20 for it! They said it was marked wrong. I pointed out that it was broken (was limping a bit and a bit slevvery) and therefore wouldn't be much sport for my Boa. They saw my point and gave me it for $15! Thats $1.50 cheaper than the petshop up the road so I still got a good deal even if it was a wee bit slow and didn't last long. (Just Kidding)

rainbow
23-Nov-06, 08:24
I have had excellent customer service from Homebase. My first purchase - kitchen units was a day late being delivered despite telling me by 2 letters and 3 phone calls of the day of delivery (Central belt forget we are not Inverness). I wrote to let them know of the inconvenence and to avoid further delays to other customers - got an apology and a voucher for the inconvenience. Drill broke and replaced immediately. Tap loose and got a refund. Wrong colour of paint I stupidly bought was changed immediately. There was never any fuss, and changing the goods was not a problem. Interesting how alot of people compare Argos and Homebase for price - they are sister companies!

Cattach
23-Nov-06, 14:29
Have to agree with Rainbow. While Homebase prices are n ot always competitive we now have a great range of items not easily available before in the county. I have been a number of times to the Wick store and have had excellent service.Price compariuson on items with Argos has been the same as one wouod expect from the same company.

Bobinovich
23-Nov-06, 18:03

LOL I thought this myself - also it seemed a bit weird starting a thread slating a shop which trades in the same type of goods as yourself, and then jumping in with 'I only charge this' etc! Great way to promote your business!

Anyway, another point about Homebase which doesn't appear to have been bought up (sorry if I've missed it) is their late & Sunday opening hours - a boon for us DIY'ers who work during the day and/or end up doing our DIY on Sundays. Day of rest - you've got to be joking [lol]