PDA

View Full Version : Use the right Forum!!

Corrie 3
17-May-12, 18:17
As I write this there are 3 threads in the first 10 which I would consider to be in the wrong forum. I'm sorry but if I come onto this Forum I don't want to read about car servicing, half price lawn mowing or someone wanting a digger. They all have their own forums so why oh why don't people use them???

Rant over!!!

C3..............[disgust][disgust]

Niall Fernie
17-May-12, 18:20
I do get round to deleting these threads

Sometimes I move them, depends on how close to me waking up it is.

Persistent offenders end up being suspended.

sids
17-May-12, 18:21
You can click on the triangle thing to report posts that you have an issue with.

Beat Bug
17-May-12, 18:22
Same here. Also people posting the same thing more than once! Some even post several times on the same forum!

sids
17-May-12, 18:24
Same here. Also people posting the same thing more than once! Some even post several times on the same forum!

You can click on the triangle thing to report posts that you have an issue with.

Alrock
17-May-12, 18:51
What about cryptic thread titles that bear no resemblance to the topic....
eg. A thread title of "irene" used on 3 separate threads, 2 trying to sell something & 1 asking for help.

DeHaviLand
17-May-12, 18:56
What about cryptic thread titles that bear no resemblance to the topic....
eg. A thread title of "irene" used on 3 separate threads, 2 trying to sell something & 1 asking for help.

DeHaviLand
17-May-12, 18:57
Sorry, had to be done.

newweecroft
17-May-12, 19:30
As I write this there are 3 threads in the first 10 which I would consider to be in the wrong forum. I'm sorry but if I come onto this Forum I don't want to read about car servicing, half price lawn mowing or someone wanting a digger. They all have their own forums so why oh why don't people use them???

Rant over!!!

One can often find that by posting in the General forum, one reaches an audience who GENERALLY would not always peruse the other forums regulary. Yet, has the information or services required.

If one only wanted to reach a small or dedicated group of people then yes of course, use the specific forum.

However I for example, am not looking for a contractor to reply me. I am asking the general public within Caithness, if they have, in the course of their; work or recreation - come across, heard of, used or seen a contractor who has at his disposal a land clearance rake or riddling bucket.

Im sure you can see the difference.

Corrie 3
17-May-12, 19:49
One can often find that by posting in the General forum, one reaches an audience who GENERALLY would not always peruse the other forums regulary. Yet, has the information or services required.

If one only wanted to reach a small or dedicated group of people then yes of course, use the specific forum.

However I for example, am not looking for a contractor to reply me. I am asking the general public within Caithness, if they have, in the course of their; work or recreation - come across, heard of, used or seen a contractor who has at his disposal a land clearance rake or riddling bucket.

Im sure you can see the difference.
Yes I can see that you are going to get more viewing your request for a digger on the General Forum but it is my belief that this forum should only be used for topics that don't have a forum of their own. Imagine the uproar if people started posting political topics in say the bird watching section, it would be very annoying to say the least! If you need your digger for your farm or your business then both of those have their own forum. It actually belongs in the old "Recommendations" forum but that has been disbanded of course.
I think Niall and Co do a good job of moving threads to the right section and I can imagine it's very frustrating for them, all I ask is that people use their brain and ask themselves...."Is this in the right section"? before posting new threads!!

C3............;)

Gronnuck
18-May-12, 09:17
Ooooo this thread makes a nice change from the ones complaning about peoples grammer and spelling.....

gerry4
18-May-12, 09:59
One of the problems is if you are wanting someone to recommend a tradesman or place to eat as the recommendation forum is moderated and can take a few days for postings to be approved, you may of waited too long. That maybe why more people are posting here and also not so many people looking at recommended as it stays the same for days on end.

I did PM the moderator about this problem about a month ago but had no response, except they approved things quick for a short time.

Torvaig
18-May-12, 10:59
When I first log into the org I always select the "New Posts" thread which gives you all the new postings since you last logged in. Then I use the "Mark Forums Read" just before I sign out; that way you don't miss any posts when you next visit the forum and you don't have to go over posts already read.

The more we use the forum correctly the less the moderators have to scan and correct....there just aren't enough of them to keep it up to date every hour of the day.

I'm sure that anyone who thinks they may enjoy the job and do it well can ask to join the moderators board and see if there are any vacancies. I raise my hat to those who do the moderating already; must be a thankless job!

Niall Fernie
18-May-12, 11:51

Sorry, had to join in...

But seriously, you can click on the triangle thing (http://forum.caithness.org/images/buttons/report-40b.png) to report posts that you have an issue with and it will be brought to the attention of the entire mod/admin team.

If you have something that not directly related to a post, you can also PM myself or the other Admins (Colin Manson, Bill Fernie, Maggie) or the mod account (Moderator) and someone will look at the issue. We may not get back to you unless we require further information as there are many requests for our time/attention and replying to each one is not always possible. Hopefully you will be able to see the results of our actions and for most enquiries this is usually enough (spammer/sock puppet/abuse of the forum/members etc).

Sometimes it may seem like some of the more focused sub-forums do not have a great deal of people reading them however, it may be the best place for some posts as it may be the only part of the forum that the person you need to find reads.

I tend to give most people who post in the wrong place the benefit of the doubt the first couple of times I see a post in the wrong place (I'm sure the other mods/admin do to). But once the same name pops up doing it again I start deleting and then handing out PMs/warnings/infractions until it stops.

We all understand that sometimes the general forum is going to be the place to get the quickest response. The response may not be the one a poster was looking for but mostly you can be assured it will be fast :)

There's no need for someone to become a mod in order that they can suggest a better place for a user to post their request. A great number of our members are fairly new to the forum and a little guidance from the "old hands" is always helpful. Just remember that the "old hands" were new to forums and the like at one time and there are still new people joining up every day so a little patience can go a long way.

billmoseley
18-May-12, 13:01
corrie which forum do i use to find out when tesco closes and opens

Corrie 3
18-May-12, 13:46
corrie which forum do i use to find out when tesco closes and opens
Why Bill............"Vehicles for Sale" of course!!!!!

I am sure you know that and are just having me on!!

C3...........;)

Alrock
18-May-12, 14:12
What about asking a question & then closing a thread so that nobody can answer it, what's the point in that?

Windows Tints in Caithness ???????????? (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?178096-Windows-Tints-in-Caithness&p=951971#post951971)

Corrie 3
18-May-12, 14:55
What about asking a question & then closing a thread so that nobody can answer it, what's the point in that?

Windows Tints in Caithness ???????????? (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?178096-Windows-Tints-in-Caithness&p=951971#post951971)
Perhaps he was made redundant just after posting and then decided he couldn't afford to have his windows tinted!!!.....(Or Mummy had stopped his pocket money)!!

We will never know why it was closed for sure!

C3..............:roll:;)

equusdriving
18-May-12, 15:10

Corrie 3 only does that when he knows he wont like the answer:lol:

billmoseley
18-May-12, 16:21
Why Bill............"Vehicles for Sale" of course!!!!!

I am sure you know that and are just having me on!!

C3...........;) but i don't want to buy a car i just want to annoy people [evil] :lol:

Torvaig
18-May-12, 17:10
but i don't want to buy a car i just want to annoy people [evil] :lol:

Just be yourself Bill, just be yourself..... only joking, we all love you! ;)

Torvaig
18-May-12, 17:14

When that happens it can mean that someone has provided an answer in a private message - or else they just want to annoy us!

Corrie 3
18-May-12, 17:40
only joking, we all love you! ;)
We most certainly do Torvaig, we most certainly do!.....:D

Now Bill, if you just want to annoy people can I give you a list of who to start on?

As for the Tesco times, you have to slip your request in between the Corsa for sale and the Fiesta for sale and I am sure you will get an answer pretty quickly!!

C3...............;)

Alrock
18-May-12, 18:04
When that happens it can mean that someone has provided an answer in a private message - or else they just want to annoy us!

Or... Totally clueless

Phill
19-May-12, 19:56
So is independence a good thing or do we stay with the union?

Moira
19-May-12, 21:18

Rant over!!!

Whatever you said, it's not working..... ;-)