PDA

View Full Version : Newly Elected Council

bluemafia
17-May-12, 17:37
Can somebody please clarify for me, the SNP representatives of the Highland Council want to give council employees a "living wage". Aren't the council supposed to represent ALL constituents and not just some of them. But then if this does go through, where is the money going to come from? :confused
p.s. Council employees are not the only ones who need a "living wage"

Alrock
17-May-12, 18:01
Can somebody please clarify for me, the SNP representatives of the Highland Council want to give council employees a "living wage". Aren't the council supposed to represent ALL constituents and not just some of them. But then if this does go through, where is the money going to come from? :confused
p.s. Council employees are not the only ones who need a "living wage"

Not to mention those of us unfortunate to be unemployed... We need a living wage also, not the pittance the government gives us...

Corrie 3
17-May-12, 18:10
Council workers are employed by the Council, the Council have a duty to make sure that all their employees get a living wage. All employers should do the same but unfortunately not all of them do. As far as the unemployed are concerned, it's the UK Govt's responsibility to make sure they have a living wage also. I think you will find that UK Govt policy is to make sure each household has a minimum of £138 per week coming into it but that figure needs clarifying!
I wish the new council well, lets see if not having a majority of Independents works well or not!!

C3.............;)