PDA

View Full Version : question..

misha
16-May-12, 23:57
has any one had a rabbit neutered? ... is it expensive?

laguna2
17-May-12, 05:18
Why not phone the vet and ask? I am sure they will be happy to help. :)

misha
17-May-12, 07:27
yeah i was gona to but needed to find out last night if it was worth taking it or not...

sids
17-May-12, 08:32
Could be £60.

misha
17-May-12, 09:40
i thought it would be about that, so expensive! but i wud rather that than 'brother' & sister breeding, i got them as two girls! opps! ..

biskit
17-May-12, 09:44
I phoned the Wick vet this morning to find out the same and it will be around £90.

misha
17-May-12, 09:50
90.00 my god! my horse was 125 lol!!

biskit
17-May-12, 09:58
It is quite expensive yes lol!They said its because of the drugs they have to give the rabbit as its high risk.

misha
17-May-12, 10:29
i am gona be cheaper buying another hutch.. lol

Alrock
17-May-12, 10:41
You could always do it yourself with a couple of rubber bands... Found a download of detailed instructions here (http://www.wooliecreations.net/angoras/articles/neuter-your-bunny/)

Disclaimer: Not advocating this method, just providing information.

sids
17-May-12, 10:58
i thought it would be about that, so expensive! but i wud rather that than 'brother' & sister breeding, i got them as two girls! opps! ..

Inbreeding isn't the end of the world with rabbits, but you'd soon have far too many rabbits.

demac-artist
17-May-12, 12:54
the vets are really good it you put money on your account weekly or something then they can do that, I have had all my boys done they cost from £75 to £90 dependent on the size and amount of drugs the operation is £40 then the drugs on top smaller bunny and less drugs etc

Discuss payment plans with them

Deanne

biskit
17-May-12, 13:14
Thats good to know Deanne,Thanks:-)

aloe
17-May-12, 13:26
Inbreeding isn't the end of the world with rabbits, but you'd soon have far too many rabbits.

That's disgraceful how could you say that. have you ever seen the effects inbreeding has on rabbits?!?! it's a disgusting thing to let happen and it causes so much UNNECESSARY suffering

sids
17-May-12, 13:36
That's disgraceful how could you say that. have you ever seen the effects inbreeding has on rabbits?!?! it's a disgusting thing to let happen and it causes so much UNNECESSARY suffering

Just disagree politely, avoid rhetoric and state some useful facts. If you're big on rabbits, you can probably tell us how much inbreeding they can "get off with."

I didn't say inbreeding is good. I said it's not the end of the World. Do you think it actually is the end of the World?

misha
17-May-12, 14:52
You could always do it yourself with a couple of rubber bands... Found a download of detailed instructions here (http://www.wooliecreations.net/angoras/articles/neuter-your-bunny/)

Disclaimer: Not advocating this method, just providing information.

this made me feel slightly sick lol... poor bunnies!!

aloe
17-May-12, 15:01
Just disagree politely, avoid rhetoric and state some useful facts. If you're big on rabbits, you can probably tell us how much inbreeding they can "get off with."

I didn't say inbreeding is good. I said it's not the end of the World. Do you think it actually is the end of the World?

It is the end of their world, it can kill them. also cause so much pain, wonky joints twisted insides brain damage deformity why would you even attempt to inbreed thinking it 'could' be ok.

Alrock
17-May-12, 15:32
It is the end of their world, it can kill them. also cause so much pain, wonky joints twisted insides brain damage deformity why would you even attempt to inbreed thinking it 'could' be ok.

For example... Just look at the Royal Family.... lol

Sarah
31-May-12, 17:34
Neutered rabbits are far happier than un-neutered rabbits. Females over the age of 3 have an 80% higher risk of uterine cancer and will usually not survive it. Males will usually spray urine like entire male cats, which means far dirtier housing for you to clean! Females can also spray, both of my girls did before being done. It's also far easier to litter train bunnies who are done.

It's not really expensive when you consider most rabbits won't have vet bills over the years, and it will save you money in the long run, if you have to buy another hutch (around £150 for one an appropriate size) and vet bills if you do end up with cancer in either of them.

Bear in mind, both should be done, not just one. http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/neutering28.8.07.pdf

I (http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/neutering28.8.07.pdf)f you can travel, Tain was £69 for my females (each) and Rogart is £55 (each).

Sarah
31-May-12, 17:35

33,000 rabbits are in rescue every year. The world does not need any more, let alone unhealthy inbred ones!

Dadie
31-May-12, 18:26
I had my male rabbit "done" and yes it was almost as expensive as getting the dog done!
But he is happier living with a partner than living alone, so the expense, of getting him done was worth it.