PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Caithness

stekar
15-Jan-05, 23:10
Hello everyone :D

Planning to move upto Caithness soon and would appreciate anyone's comments, whether they be good or bad.

From reading the forum and from personal experience I know that the supermarkets are too expensive and small. Petrol is very expensive too.

And where is a good place to live, and are there any places to avoid?

Would really appreicate your local knowledge ;)

Thankyou

apollo69
15-Jan-05, 23:16
Caithness is great in some ways poor in others, but on the whole I wouldn't change it. Just avoid Wick and you'll be fine. ;)

daviddd
15-Jan-05, 23:21
First q is do you prefer to live in the country or town? Country anyday for me! Houses cheaper too :o) . Oh and don't buy a place by the river :~(

luskentyre
16-Jan-05, 00:27
..and I'd ignore any comments about Wick, especially by people from Castletown! :D

It all depends what you are after really. Thurso tends to be more expensive to live in, probably because it's more properous at the moment. You've got the cinema/bowling alley in Thurso - but you've got things like the hospital and the airport in Wick. As you'll probably know, Wick is getting a new retail park which should include Homebase and Argos (plus hopefully others). Having said all that, the two are only 20 miles apart.

I would say that both towns have lots to offer in terms of sporting/social activities. You'll see from this site exactly what's on where. Both towns are a similar size and have a similar selection of shops/amenities.

Does that help?

16-Jan-05, 03:34
best place to stay is the place that meets your price....
So - Thurso is expensive compared to local prices, but has all the facilities and social amenities. BUT Wick is the county town and arguably has more "character" than Thurso, depending on what "characters" you like.
The country is better to stay in, if you can accomodate that you have no choice but to drive everywhere.
So if it were me I'd be looking at someplace around Halkirk or Watten. Road links are central and Wick or Thurso would only be at most 20mins drive.

Naefearjustbeer
16-Jan-05, 04:11
Welcome to the best place in Scotland (the World) As mentioned house prices are dearer in Thurso but anywhere in the county is welcoming and friendly as long as you are. We tend to take people as we see them and call a spade a spade. We have good schools and plenty thing to do wherever you choose to stay I hope you are happy with your move.

Rheghead
16-Jan-05, 04:41
As an incomer myself, I find the Caithness people to be the most warm, friendly, nosey, small worlded, generous, guarded, fun loving, amiable, patriotic, honest, down trodden, pessimistic though resilient people you should ever wish to meet.

I wouldn't live anywhere else, cos they just remind me of those back home!

EDDIE
16-Jan-05, 10:53
Hi i was brought up in thurso moved away about 13 years ago.My opinion about moving up there is that its the type of place once you get a job you keep it you cant chop and change jobs as easy as you can do in a city.Because its a small community people are more nosey you could go out in a middle of a field anywhere you like at anytime of the day and someone will see you and tell you the next day.If i had to choose location it would be thurso because its a nice town and is close to dounreay,vulcan,rolls royce and norfrost which is really the big employers in the whole area and you take into account wick is the other main town about 30 min travell.
But u must remeber there isnt really a lot of work up there and if ure wanting a specific type of job its not easy getting it you would be suprised at the amount of people that leave the area because of the lack of work for a specific job but caithness in general is a very nice place to live ideal for bringing up kids and the people are nice as well apart from the noseyness which can be annoying at times but u cant have everything.

Alli
16-Jan-05, 15:22
I have lived in Caithness all my life, Wick. The worst place to live in is Kennedy Terrace. If you get offered a council house there for God's sake don't take it. Wick is lacking in many things but the provision of things to do for kids is the worst. It's mainly the teenagers that are poorly catered for. I did notice that a new net cafe has opened in High street , where Bews used to have their video place, so I hope that goes well. The cinema in Thurso is great and they also have a bowling alley, but Wick hasn't. We have a great swimming pools in Wick and Thurso. The supermarkets are Lidls, Somerfields and the Co-op. Somerfield is the more expensive of the three but the do have a better fruit and veg section.

katarina
16-Jan-05, 16:04
Although it's worse than when I was a kid, Wick is (and probably Thurso, although there aare more incomers there) is a relatively safe place to bring up children. I still don't lock my door or car although I should - but age old habits are hard to break. If there are any weirdos hanging around then everyone knows who they are, and who to avoid. And yes, the down side is that the people are nosey, but I guess it's the same in all small communities. The main complaint is that there isn't enough for teenagers to do, but there is more than when I was that age and yet we made our own entertainment. I think the kids of today lack imagination.
There is one family from hell that are resposible for most local crime - everyone knows who they are, yet the police seem powerless to do anything about them - that's my complaint. :roll:

Fifi
16-Jan-05, 17:18
Caithness is the same as any other rural place - you get out what you put in. There is not much obvious entertainment apart from drinking in pubs which leads a lot of people to say there is nothing to do. However if you seek out like minded people you will usually find a club or group which can accommodate you. (Sports, drama, etc are all well represented and there is a good range of night classes at the college)

Bars and restaurants are improving all the time and it is easy to find several good places to eat in either town or in various locations throughout the county. Shopping is limited but also improving - it just means that you learn to plan ahead if you need something as you can't just nip out to the high street to find it! (since moving back here from 'the South' I have discovered internet shopping!)

The area is great for young kids but teenagers may find their choices of entertainment to be limited (as we have done for years, but at least now there is a bowling alley, cinema and good swimming pools).

Although petrol is expensive I would still say that a car is essential! Public transport around the county is not good - although if you are going to Inverness the bus or train is fine, and actually better if you're not a keen driver.

As for places to live every area has its ups and downs but personally I would rule out country living unless you have a car or live right on a main road.

stekar
16-Jan-05, 23:23
Wow! Thanks everyone for such great replies :D

We have two young kids 7 and 5 and feel it would be a better place for them to grow up. Where we live now we have everything to hand, cinema, bowling, ski slope but the only thing we use is the swimming pool.

Had heard that Caithness is very friendly which sounds nice, even though some have said people are nosey. But here nobody talks to you or gives you the time of day :confused

Would probably prefer the country than a town, but we will just have to see what is for sale when we have sold our house here.

Thanks all!
Steve and Karen

weeboyagee
17-Jan-05, 10:08
Move to Thurmster!! Lots of families there. School, Garage, Shop & Post Office, Church, Tennis Courts and Playing Field, 5 mins from Wick (20-30 mins to everywhere else), cheap taxis on a night out but you'll never need them 'cause you can stay and eat (and have a wee dram) in the Smiddy Inn - the local pub (great food). And please, please, please.....buy one of the houses in the paddock here - we need to get this eyesore of a development by Norscot finished! Buy number 6, your back gate can be fixed to Smiddy's wall - for quick access through the back door to the bar!

squidge
17-Jan-05, 13:00
hi

I moved north seven years ago from Lancashire to Caithness - so probably a similar change as your will be i think. I have lived both in the country and in Wick and although i now live in Inverness i loved living in Caithness and think it is a wonderful place to bring up kids. When we moved our children were 8, 7 and 2 and they have loved it as well. To my mind the price you pay for running them in and out of town is worth it for the pleasure of living in the country. People in Caithness dont understand that you would be running your children everywhere at home cos you couldnt let them go by themselves.

You will never regret the move ever, the people are great, their wit and charm and kindness is amazing and the friends i have made will stay in my heart for ever.

17-Jan-05, 18:32
Move to Thrumster!!

Excellent Garage at Thrumster, its so important to have good service & Kenny & Ronald & Michael & Lynn and just first class.

Also - its great to read the comments here from local residents - proving Caithness quality of life is just magic, and that is really the top criteria to consider.

...... and..... when its frosty and clear you can see the Northern Lights aka Aurora Borealis in the night sky - awesome breathtaking etc :D

badger
17-Jan-05, 19:43
Caithness is a wonderful place to bring up children but it's hard to househunt from a distance. Ideally you should rent for a while but that's probably not practical as children need to settle in school so maybe you could spend holiday up here and see as much of the county as you can. No problems living in the country as driving is so easy and you could get a massive garden for the children. There's lots to do - music, theatre, art, sport and in summer so many things happening it's hard to choose. Good luck.

The Godfather
17-Jan-05, 20:51
Ignore what they are posting in the other thred. Caithness is absoulutly wonderful. Fair enough it has its crime like evry other town in the country but are you likely to be going down the street at 11 at night. And depending where you live in Wick (there are one or two bad bits, like everwhere else) its really a very safe and crime free town.

Hope you enjoy it here when you arrive.

brandy
17-Jan-05, 22:56
*grins* ok will prob get a lot of feedback.. but all in all its not a bad place to live.. we just came back from the states.. (im from america) now there are loads of things that i do not agree with up here.. religion and customs mostly but i am from another country mind you *grins* but all in all the people are very friendly if inquisitive! they usulayy know whats going on in your life before you do! but neighborhoods are often quite close knit and welcoming.. i agreee that it depends on where you live.. i live in pultney but the street we live on is relativly quiet.. a few kids run wild and like to egg your house in the winter .. but other than that not too bad.. thats just a lack of discipline.. buts its not like the congestion and fast pace life of the bigger towns and cities.. so if you are looking for laid back and do tommorow what you dont have to do today then good bet

stekar
17-Jan-05, 23:22
Hi again :D

Thanks for more messages!

Weeboyagee

buy one of the houses in the paddock here - we need to get this eyesore of a development by Norscot finished

We did look at those houses when we were up last October, but didn't fancy living near a pub. We did once live near a pub before and it was awful with taxis tooting and people shouting bye to each other as they walked in different directions. But got a feeling that living near that pub would be nowt like that ;)

Squidge....thanks for your brilliant comment, confirming what we thought :D

307 ....

proving Caithness quality of life is just magic, and that is really the top criteria to consider.

...... and..... when its frosty and clear you can see the Northern Lights aka Aurora Borealis in the night sky - awesome breathtaking etc Sounds fabulous :D

badger...yep, it is difficult to househunt from here, it takes us two days to get to Caithness! But well worth it. Been up a couple of times to look around and may have to rent for a while until we can find something, but like you say it's awkward as we'd need to get the kids settled into a school.

Godfather...thanks :D . Think I would definately feel safer up there at nightime than what I would down here

brandy....we are definatley looking for a more laid back lifestyle and slower pace of life. Caithness feels like a different world to us :D

Even more keen to move up there now after all the replies we got, just need someone to buy our house.

So, if you know anyone who wants to move to Yorkshire....... :lol:

Thankyou all for the great feedback :D

Steve and Karen

The Pepsi Challenge
18-Jan-05, 11:29
You'll love it. There's only ten surnames to go round and it's a bit like Twin Peaks. Monica Lewinsky used to live there, and credibal celebrities such as darts player Jocky Wilson only pass through every ten years or so. Saying that, the scenery is spectacular; it's a stimulating and inspiring place (once you find the right places); and, given the quality of the fresh air, you'll have a sound night's sleep every night. First impressions count - big style - so be yourself and never let 'them' grind you down. Like the Murphy's, I'm not bitter. Awrabest!

A_Usher
18-Jan-05, 11:42
OK,
Here comes my doom and gloom about Caithness.
We have been here for about 4 or 5 years with a year's gap in between. My wife is the local GP here in Dunbeath, I am the practice manager and www.hfalliance.com owner, Where we live is a lovely little village BUT:

Lack of decent transport and high cost of automobile consumables.
Lack of decent shops and eateries.
Lack of adequate and healthy fresh fruit and vegetables, and variety, which is appalling.
Declining medical services, and constant changes.
Increasing crime rates.
Declining Road repairs and general maintenance.
Lack of support for local business, come of CASE why do you invest in companies that go bust, spend all that money on small local business, and get the county thriving economically.
Decline and concern on social and economical standards.
Local apathy, and there is loads of that.
The occasional 'white settler' nonsense that some locals appear to have.
Declining educational standards. We are expecting our first child, and unless the local school picks up we will be sending our child somewhere else.

I could go on and on. I thought it was time a different perspective was presented.

Now on the upside, affordable housing, stunning scenery, good place to bring kids up until school age. I wouldn’t commit to buying until you are sure this is the place for you, as resale value is not the best, and its worth remembering that once you purchase and attempt to sell you will not get the same price as down south.

Andrew (bah humbug!!!)

The Pepsi Challenge
18-Jan-05, 11:51
There's no doubting your concerns - and they are ALL justified. However, sadly, I must agree; that in this case the bad points far outweigh the good points. From hospitals to services, from industry to retaining young people and bringing opportunity to the area, it all besg the question: how did we cope before?

A_Usher
18-Jan-05, 11:58
People coped before due to social necessity, it wasn't as easy to move, or have services provided, its a simple case of sociology, and you only need to compare it to other areas. However times have changed and this is best indicated in statistics and facts such as youth retention, which is low, due to employment etc, lack of services that they associate with etc.

It’s a bad time for Caithness, I read with interest the development of homebase etc which is great, however things need to change economically for that to be a long term viable feature. As I have harped on at community council meetings in the past to no avail, when services deplete community retention depletes and population growth suffers which in turn has an effect on economy. You only need to compare Thurso to Wick, more employment, services such as CCTV etc.

Andrew.

The Pepsi Challenge
18-Jan-05, 12:05
Agreed. Totally.

And I remember when the Americans left. It was around the time decomissioning was announced at Dounreay. It seemed like part of the county's soul - and optimism - was sucked out in the space of a few weeks. It hasn't recovered, sadly.

A_Usher
18-Jan-05, 12:21
It could turn round, it requires a social epidemic and proactive movement. How I don't know, but it needs something. Proper tourist advertising and promotional work would be a start. Caithness should capitalise and market on it features and sell itself better to the world market.

Ill give you an example. I had the opportunity of bringing over a load of Americans on business two years ago. Anyway, I had about 50 people possible coming over to do business down south and could have easily enticed them here to see the scenery etc.

I approached 3 hoteliers about it, thinking of good service, repeat business, word of mouth, good for every one. Boy was I wrong, the 3 people I spoke with couldn't be bothered, felt it wasn't worth their while, had tried it before and it had failed etc, etc , etc.

I had to let the clients go. Unfortunate as they now go to Argyll each year, and now its around 350 of them each year. An example of Caithness Apathy. Not the only time I have experienced this.

SO, I do believe Caithness could pick up with the right motivation and structuring. I am just not sure how it will happen. At this moment in time I would have to say I would not recommend people moving to Caithness.

Andrew.

The Pepsi Challenge
18-Jan-05, 12:45
(And I wonder why I left when I was old enough to buy my own bus ticket out...)

Yes, totally agree with you there. Said people's' lack of vision, foresight, is almost cruel. I hate to say it, but it's almost backward. You try to help the county and it's thrown straight back in your face. I'd give you a tip, and it points south. Know what I'm saying...?

Zael
18-Jan-05, 13:24
If you expect Caithness to be exactly the same as the south then dont come here. Its not, its very different, people like a_usher and pepsi challenge dont like it so why stay, as they state themselves they have the means to move away. These things that they complain about have been like that in this county for as long as I can remember, they have been getting better in some areas and worse in others, but certainly not to the extent that these two would have you believe. If the two complainers above wanted all that they want why did they move here in the first place, surely the lack of the types of facilities they're after was obvious when they were house buying?

Many people have moved to places like caithness in search of a different way of life and thats exactly what they've found. But those who come to places like this and then complain about how different it is from the place they just left should expect a little friction from those that live and love it here.

squidge
18-Jan-05, 13:28
i agree zael

things are different and you make compromises to live in Caithness. its worth it though

The Pepsi Challenge
18-Jan-05, 13:38
I was born and brought up in Caithness. I moved away when I was 16 for a better life - I found it. Over the years I've been pro-active enough to try and change things in my native homeland (when time allows) for the better: mixed results, with some degree of success, however. I like to keep a tab on where I come from (hence being on the messageboard) and, if you read my other posts, attempt to encourage while stating my own opinion.

But best wishes to everyone in Caithness who has, at least, attempted to make the place better - socially and ecomocially.

A_Usher
18-Jan-05, 16:10
Zael,
I would imagine we will actually move in a few years time, but at the moment our commitment is to the medical practice in Dunbeath, to make sure it is secured and not simply merged. However, I don't see us being here for more than another 2 or 3 years to be honest. The reason we came here was to provide a community based medical service, which we do, and i think also we provide some of the best medical care in the county. However moving to a place does not mean that you should simply settle for the inadequacies of services, or otherwise what happens is that you lose services such as maternity etc, so I disagree with you.

And as i stated in my first post i am giving my perspective, as i am entitled to do so, as you are. I couldn't care less about the 'friction' you mention, it does not have any impact on my life. We are all entitled to our opinions, that is what makes being an individual so great. If a forum board is to represent views then it should do so on both sides.

Andrew

The Pepsi Challenge
18-Jan-05, 17:15
Well said, Usher. That's a good way of looking at it. However, I'm sure that whatever we think about Caithness we are all agreed that: we want the best for it. For everyone's sake.

Raonaid
18-Jan-05, 18:07
OK,
Here comes my doom and gloom about Caithness.
We have been here for about 4 or 5 years with a year's gap in between. My wife is the local GP here in Dunbeath, I am the practice manager and www.hfalliance.com owner, Where we live is a lovely little village BUT:

Lack of decent transport and high cost of automobile consumables.
Lack of decent shops and eateries.
Lack of adequate and healthy fresh fruit and vegetables, and variety, which is appalling.
Declining medical services, and constant changes.
Increasing crime rates.
Declining Road repairs and general maintenance.
Lack of support for local business, come of CASE why do you invest in companies that go bust, spend all that money on small local business, and get the county thriving economically.
Decline and concern on social and economical standards.
Local apathy, and there is loads of that.
The occasional 'white settler' nonsense that some locals appear to have.
Declining educational standards. We are expecting our first child, and unless the local school picks up we will be sending our child somewhere else.

I could go on and on. I thought it was time a different perspective was presented.

Now on the upside, affordable housing, stunning scenery, good place to bring kids up until school age. I wouldn’t commit to buying until you are sure this is the place for you, as resale value is not the best, and its worth remembering that once you purchase and attempt to sell you will not get the same price as down south.

Andrew (bah humbug!!!)
Your post makes no sense at all. You point out all those things that are negative, including medical and educational shortfalls but you then go on to say it is a good place to raise kids.

I am sorry sir, your post is totally contradictary unless you like to put your kids through misery.

A_Usher
18-Jan-05, 18:17
Raonaid, i said it was a great place to bring kids up until school age. Try reading the post properly, and i have no 'kids', only one on the way, so i do not contradict myself.

Andrew

Rheghead
18-Jan-05, 18:49
A_Usher wrote
Secondly, Raonaid, i said it was a great place to bring kids up until school age. Try reading the post properly, and i have no 'kids', only one on the way, so i do not contradict myself.

You seem to contadict yourself continually, If you don't have kids yourself how can you know Caithness is a great place to bring them up. Parenting is an experience that nothing can prepare you for...

BTW congratulations!!!! :Razz

A_Usher
18-Jan-05, 19:25
'Rheghead' comment:
"You seem to contadict yourself continually, If you don't have kids yourself how can you know Caithness is a great place to bring them up. Parenting is an experience that nothing can prepare you for..."

As a former child psychologist I think I can comment on what is perceived to be a safe place to bring up children, so to state it one more time, I said Caithness is a good place to bring a child up to school age, in my opinion.

Andrew

Rheghead
18-Jan-05, 19:36
The Crux of it all Andrew is that we agree Caithness is not perfect but it has good things to offer.

Peace man!

KitKat
18-Jan-05, 21:27
Mr Usher, I take strong exception to some of your remarks. For example

Lack of decent shops and eateries. Not true, having just eaten in a hotel in Wick with some Australian friends who compared it to some of the best eateries they had experienced in Scotland, in the last few weeks having dined in the French restaurant in Wick, K2 in Wick and The Bistro in Thurso all of which compare favourably with places where I have dined in the major Scottish cities, and having this week shopped in excellent local shops like Souters in Thurso, McAllans of Wick and Reids of Wick where I received friendly and helpful service second to none and was able to choose from a reasonable selection of goods, I find your remarks to be not only inaccurate but unpleasant.

Lack of adequate and healthy fresh fruit and vegetables, and variety, which is appalling Obviously you have never shopped in our local supermarkets. I have never had any difficulty obtaining good fresh fruit and vegetables locally.

Increasing crime rates Yes, petty crime and drug related crime have increased but how many serious assaults/rapes/murders do you read about in the local paper each year, compared to say, Inverness? You make Caithness sound like a crime ridden county but I think if you checked your facts with the local constabulary you will find this is simply not so.

Local apathy, and there is loads of that Perhaps we just don't like the things you are enthusiastic about Mr Usher. I have always found loads of local enthusiasm for worthwhile projects. Charities rarely have problems raising funds locally, local sports and theatre, dance, groups etc are enthusiatically and loyally supported, school fund raisers are never short of doting grandparents, kind Mums, Dads, Aunties etc to help out or attend functions. Look at the way our young people got together quickly to raise money and to provide practical help for a young man who lost his leg in an accident recently. Shame on you to slur our local people so.

Declining educational standards. We are expecting our first child, and unless the local school picks up we will be sending our child somewhere else This is just so insulting. As I'm sure you are aware, the teachers of this school are y not allowed to speak out publicly on your remarks but I hope some Dunbeath locals who have been more than happy with their children's education will answer you. Perhaps it would be a good idea if you send your child elsewhere as you sound like the mean spirited, " my child is more important than anyone else's" type of parent the school could well do without.

Its interesting that this thread has went from personal views
. Obviously you attended a very good local school which taught you grammar!!!

Finally Mr Usher, please don't feel that you need to stay in this backwater. I am sure you are anxious to move on to greater things and since we obviously managed to rub along before you hallowed us with your presence I think we will just about survive when you have gone.

skydivvy
18-Jan-05, 22:04
Zael,

We are all entitled to our opinions, that is what makes being an individual so great. If a forum board is to represent views then it should do so on both sides.

Andrew

I have read all the posts with interest. I personally do not like city life, and Caithness suits me fine - but then I am not intending to give birth again am financially secure and rather enjoy being so far from the rat race. The weather's not great and having to travel to Glasgow or Edinburgh before you can fly abroad is a bit of a hike, but taking all your very valied points into concideration - I still want to live here.
There is plenty to do if you are willing to join clubs. My children have activities every night of the week and horse riding on Saturdays.
Give it a go - if it's not for you, then it's a free world, thankfully!

stekar
19-Jan-05, 00:29
Thanks for some more interesting posts!

Still keen to move to Caithness, we want to escape the rat race and have a completely different lifestyle. The open space of the county is so nice. Everywhere down here seems on top of itself, so many new housing estates with ugly apartment blocks and three story houses, yuck.

The weather doesn't bother us, in fact, wish we were up there now. We never get any snow here!

Can't imagine us wanting to go abroad for quite a few years, so airports not a problem.

Whilst crime in on the increase, seems like nothing compared to the majority of the uk.

Believe class sizes are smaller up there too, which must be better.

Getting an NHS dentist down here is difficult....I did read on this forum a couple of months ago that people were having to travel to Inverness for a dentist, so same problem really.

Always difficult to get a doctors appointment, usually get one in about 4 days time :eyes

So even though there are some downfalls, we still think Caithness is a better place to live. Just hope we manage to move up soon.

The Pepsi Challenge
19-Jan-05, 01:16
Well. It's good to see a well-balanced debate. There's been more frenetic play here than within 90 minutes of an Old Firm game. And that's the beauty of opinion: no-one sees things in the same light. Long may it continue.

If you please...

DrSzin
19-Jan-05, 01:41
Well, I like the area east of York!

Somewhere near (or north-east of) Pocklington has many of the advantages of Caithness, but you have the facilities of York on your doorstep.

The North York Moors are nice too.

But, if you want a beeg change, then why not go for it? Keep us posted though. Remember to tell us how much you miss Sainsburys and ASDA and Marks & Sparks and DFS and B&Q and Next and WH Smith and Gap and BK and Thai & Italian & American & Mexican restaurants and Halfords and Starbucks and Pizza Express and Waterstones and Blackwells and Borders bookshps and fast(ish) regular trains and the Carphone Warehouse and multiplex cinemas and all-weather sports centres and JJC Sports and John Lewis and Costco and Ikea and cheap international flights and the M62 and Elland Road and Sam Smiths and mushy peas and ... and .. I have run out of things I would miss -- for now, at least.

(Just joking about mushy peas -- hate the things -- and the M62 -- although the latter does serve its purpose.)

Actually, I think I would miss my cosmopolitan circle of friends & colleagues as much as anything. I went to a small party just before Christmas and every single one of the six women there was foreign. So were several of the men. I would really miss that.

I love Caithness -- just couldn't easily live there again.

Rheghead
19-Jan-05, 04:09
Pepsi challenge wrote
And that's the beauty of opinion: no-one sees things in the same light. Long may it continue.

We are all entitled to our own opinion, but we aren't entitled to our own facts.

DrSzin wrote

Well, I like the area east of York!

Somewhere near (or north-east of) Pocklington has many of the advantages of Caithness, but you have the facilities of York on your doorstep.

A golden moment in my life was having a conversation in the middle of Pocklington town centre with a mini adventurer called A. Pocklington, biting on one of the most gorgeous pork pies I have ever tasted.

"By eck ist tha' done dreamin' Cock?"

"Aye! appen!" Bliss.

DrSzin wrote
Actually, I think I would miss my cosmopolitan circle of friends & colleagues as much as anything. I went to a small party just before Christmas and every single one of the six women there was foreign. So were several of the men. I would really miss that.

I was having a nice drink and meal just before Xmas in Wick. I look around in my party, and it consisted of one Englishman, one Scotswoman, two Canadians, a Hong Kongonian ( I couldn't think of a better word,sorry) and a French woman. There was also a group of men of oriental extraction which were sat at another table.

It appears the Rest of the World has lost its monopoly on Cosmopolitanism.

~~Tides~~
19-Jan-05, 09:19
Believe class sizes are smaller up there too, which must be better.

That is not true, not in Wick High School anyway. Our tech studies class will soon have between 35 and 40 people in it due to lack of teachers.
If I was you, I would put my kids to Thurso High instead of Wick.

The Pepsi Challenge
19-Jan-05, 18:44
No worries, Rheghead, you project a feeling of contentment where you are. Good for you.

stekar
19-Jan-05, 23:56
DrSzin, yes the north yorkshire moors are beautiful, but flipping expensive. Couldn't afford to buy more than a shoebox there.

But, if you want a beeg change, then why not go for it? Keep us posted though. Remember to tell us how much you miss Sainsburys and ASDA and Marks & Sparks and DFS and B&Q and Next and WH Smith and Gap and BK and Thai & Italian & American & Mexican restaurants and Halfords and Starbucks and Pizza Express and Waterstones and Blackwells and Borders bookshps and fast(ish) regular trains and the Carphone Warehouse and multiplex cinemas and all-weather sports centres and JJC Sports and John Lewis and Costco and Ikea and cheap international flights and the M62 and Elland Road and Sam Smiths and mushy peas and ... and .. I have run out of things I would miss -- for now, at least

Would probably only miss Asda, hubby won't though as he works for them! Must admit I do like Ikea. Very rarely eat out apart from taking the kids to Mcdonalds and I won't miss that and all the rubbish which is always found in the vicinity of a mcdonalds.

Regular trains :confused , yep suppose they're not too bad but they're mucky and scruffy and often late.

M62, wonderful road :confused Well the road is ok, it's the thousands of cars and muppets driving them that I won't miss ;)

Can honestly say, don't think I would miss anything about Yorkshire

skydivvy
20-Jan-05, 11:24
you said;

Can honestly say, don't think I would miss anything about Yorkshire[/quote]

So it's nothing like Emmerdale then? Mind you, you'll get a lot of Betty Egletons in Caithness!

Rheghead
20-Jan-05, 18:46
Yorkshire? By eck thez nowt better thun garn t't pub an avinn a gut belly fulla ale, an garn om tut missus. EE It wu' GRAND!!!

stekar
20-Jan-05, 23:46
So it's nothing like Emmerdale then? Mind you, you'll get a lot of Betty Egletons in Caithness

Where we live it's nothing like Emmerdale, btw I hate that programme! :lol:

minnicoll
21-Jan-05, 23:48
Move with open mind.......when we moved up to Caithness , we moved in the August .ready for our first .winter..We found it mind blowing and every year after that was spectactular.

Family reason's made us move back to England after nearly ten year's in Caithness....

I fell in love with every aspect of the highland's and all it had to offer,......and you will as long as you go with an open mind...........

i'd love to walk my dog through Castletown Forest or walk up to the top of Olrig

See Sinclair and Girnigo Castle again.or maybe climb down Whaligo step's for the sheer hell (cos i couldnt then)....Watch the raft races in a heavy tide on Thurso Beach.and see if the sea scouts could win....

And just before I left the Cinema Bus pulled up on the Riverside in Thurso...I'd liked to have tried that too.

Ive so many wonderfull memories of our time in Caithness .I'm sure you'll love every moment when you decide to move :o)

trinkie
22-Jan-05, 09:39
Colin may I quote this poem by John Horne ?

A GUIDE TO TRAVELLERS

If you have got the tramper's boast
And up to Northern part you post
When you perceive a rocky coast
You may surmise it's Caithness.

If you see flagstones (set on end)
By ditch and field their forms extend
And should the trees to landward bend
You may infer it's Caithness

If from their cots the natives creep
And bid you welcome warm and deep
Yet eye you with a quizzing peep
You may conclude it's Caithness

And should they ask your parentage
Your name, your business, hours and wage
And what you've saved and what's your age
You may be SURE it's Caithness!

skydivvy
22-Jan-05, 11:39
[quote="DrSzin"]Well, I like the area east of York!

(Just joking about mushy peas -- hate the things -- and the M62 -- although the latter does serve its purpose.)

Henriettas chip shop sells mshy peas!

skydivvy
22-Jan-05, 11:53
Choice of shops, being able to eat out at ten o'clock at night if I feel like it, the theatre, the ananonimity if I want it, choice of cinemas.
What I don't miss about city life, traffic, smog, cost of living, having to supervise the kids when ever they went out to play, noise. homeless people sleeping on the streets.
Crime - you may complain it is on the increase, but compared to the city guys, your criminals are ranking amateurs - they wouldn't last a minute. Having said that, the rot should be cut out as soon as it starts!

DrSzin
22-Jan-05, 17:12
Is nothing sacred? :roll:

Don't tell me -- they sell scraps (http://mackemsteve.typepad.com/eat_carrots/2004/03/batter.html) too? Perish the thought...

skydivvy
22-Jan-05, 18:38
Is nothing sacred? :roll:

Don't tell me -- they sell scraps (http://mackemsteve.typepad.com/eat_carrots/2004/03/batter.html) too? Perish the thought...

when I was young we used to be able to buy a bag of fried batter, or 'scraps' as you call them, cheaper than chips - but I remember it was delicious! Maybe the chippies should throw in a free bag, I mean it just goes in the bin anyway.

Rheghead
22-Jan-05, 18:44
Is there a decent chippy in Caithness? The best one is in Castletown but it pales into insignificance when compared to others I have been to.

spiggie
23-Jan-05, 15:37
Is there a decent chippy in Caithness? The best one is in Castletown but it pales into insignificance when compared to others I have been to.

Henriettas in Henrietta street Wick. definately the best, but because it is so popular, you might have to wait some time to be served. Also it shuts at 7.00pm.