PDA

View Full Version : Viewfirth

gleeber
20-Nov-06, 23:36
Its good to see the corporate conscience of the UKAEA has moved them to offer the viewfirth site to the local community. See front page of Caithness.org.
Maybe they have been keeping up with the opinions on Caithness.org over the past year. http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=4294&highlight=viewfirth

The Pepsi Challenge
21-Nov-06, 00:40
Maybe they should have thought about that before they closed the place. UKAEA? Conscience? Yeah, right.

Naefearjustbeer
21-Nov-06, 07:56
Maybe they have realised that nobody will buy the place from them so they want rid of it.

gleeber
21-Nov-06, 08:53
I guess Pepsis opinion, although valid, is tainted by a number of personal prejudices towards Caithness.
I dunno whether Naefearjustbeers opinion is justified but it's unlikely, considering the demand for choice building plots in the Thurso area, that no one would want to develop the site.
This is a great opportunity for the local community to take advantage of the generosity of the UKAEA and have a lasting memorial to the cultural and social changes brought to Caithness by Dounreay. Sure, some people have concerns about the other legacy left by Dounreay, I do myself, but I cant change anything about that. I could stir it up a little bit by complaining through the letters page in the Groat, but the only loser then would be Caithness.
I think it's a great idea with my only concern being the demolition of the existing buildings. No doubt those concerns will be explained at the public meeting,

Cattach
21-Nov-06, 09:30
I guess Pepsis opinion, although valid, is tainted by a number of personal prejudices towards Caithness.
I dunno whether Naefearjustbeers opinion is justified but it's unlikely, considering the demand for choice building plots in the Thurso area, that no one would want to develop the site.
This is a great opportunity for the local community to take advantage of the generosity of the UKAEA and have a lasting memorial to the cultural and social changes brought to Caithness by Dounreay. Sure, some people have concerns about the other legacy left by Dounreay, I do myself, but I cant change anything about that. I could stir it up a little bit by complaining through the letters page in the Groat, but the only loser then would be Caithness.
I think it's a great idea with my only concern being the demolition of the existing buildings. No doubt those concerns will be explained at the public meeting,

Gleeber is right and this would be a great opportunity for Dounreay and the Community to do something worthwhile. Something on agrand scale. Thurso needs a facility where large events can be staged. Wick has a great facility in the Assemby Rooms and Thurso needs the same. Somewhere where a large audience can be accommodated and which will be better suited to events than the High school hall or the old town hall.

The Pepsi Challenge
21-Nov-06, 10:06

Yer on the wind-up, gleeber; your cards marked. You take the mick so often am sure it's no longer a coincedence.

crashbandicoot1979
21-Nov-06, 10:16
This is fantastic news. I was convinced that the whole site would become houses/flats. Not sure what the politics are behind it - I doubt very much that its the UKAEA having a fit of conscience - but either way this is the best thing that could happen to the site.

Naefearjustbeer
21-Nov-06, 12:01
What I meant was. Maybe they thought they could make some money out of it. However I think with housing developments looming at Pennyland and Mountpleasant maybe developers are wary of taking anything new on. I am surprised there is a need for both pennyland and mountpleasant to have new housing developments I dont know where the people are coming from to live in these planned houses or where they are going to be working to afford to pay the mortgages. With Dounreay suposedly shelving a lot of employees over the coming years. Where are these folk gonna work. I know Asdas is coming but really will they employ enouhg folk with a big enough wage to be buying these houses.

BMcGillivray
21-Nov-06, 13:52
Maybe they have realised that nobody will buy the place from them so they want rid of it.

Im 99% sure that there was an offer to buy it from them from a local businessman, but they rejected it. So its not a matter of nobody willing to buy the place, if they just wanted rid of it, they'd have taken what they could get for it.

rich
21-Nov-06, 16:32
So what's the matter with the old building?

Scunner
21-Nov-06, 17:09

The old building is full of dry rot and woodworm, and also suffering from subsidence. It has been monitored weekly for years for subsidence. Only one upstairs room has been in use for many years.

The Pepsi Challenge
21-Nov-06, 18:23
Save the Clock Tower! Save the Clock Tower!

Sporran
21-Nov-06, 19:09
Its good to see the corporate conscience of the UKAEA has moved them to offer the viewfirth site to the local community. See front page of Caithness.org.
Maybe they have been keeping up with the opinions on Caithness.org over the past year. http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=4294&highlight=viewfirth

A community centre being built upon the Viewfirth site sounds like a much better idea to me than houses, flats, or another supermarket!

The old building is full of dry rot and woodworm, and also suffering from subsidence. It has been monitored weekly for years for subsidence. Only one upstairs room has been in use for many years.

It's a great pity that the lovely Victorian building has to be demolished, though! :( Really sad that it wasn't repaired in its early stages of decay. Could something have been done to stop the subsidence, I wonder?

Bobbyian
21-Nov-06, 20:23
A community centre being built upon the Viewfirth site sounds like a much better idea to me than houses, flats, or another supermarket!

It's a great pity that the lovely Victorian building has to be demolished, though! :( Really sad that it wasn't repaired in its early stages of decay. Could something have been done to stop the subsidence, I wonder?

Couldn't it be rebuilt with something like the original front, if the chinese can build towns like old European settlments surely we can rebuild a single building with something like its old flair. especially as a community
project.

Sairheed
21-Nov-06, 23:37
Having been involved in the management of Dounreay Sports and Social Club, in the now to be demolished Viewfirth property, I was excited by the prospect of the prospect of a Pheonix, following the announcement of a meeting, to discuss the redevelopment of the site, as a community centre.

Many members of the "org" community will probably have heard stories of it's unprecedented history as the premier "night club" of Caithness for most of the sixties and into the seventies- it was widely (even internationally) known.

Less widely known was it's role as a community centre - much of the life of the newcomers to Thurso and Caithness, in the sixties and seventies, revolved around it's many sub-sections and societies (Angling,Bowling,Ladies Section, Country Dancing,Chess, Bridge etc.).

It is therefore fitting that that heritage should be re-established for the current and future generations - and as in the past, for the whole community of Caithness, regardless of faith creed or other predelictions.

The Pepsi Challenge
21-Nov-06, 23:46
Having been involved in the management of Dounreay Sports and Social Club, in the now to be demolished Viewfirth property, I was excited by the prospect of the prospect of a Pheonix, following the announcement of a meeting, to discuss the redevelopment of the site, as a community centre.

Many members of the "org" community will probably have heard stories of it's unprecedented history as the premier "night club" of Caithness for most of the sixties and into the seventies- it was widely (even internationally) known.

Less widely known was it's role as a community centre - much of the life of the newcomers to Thurso and Caithness, in the sixties and seventies, revolved around it's many sub-sections and societies (Angling,Bowling,Ladies Section, Country Dancing,Chess, Bridge etc.).

It is therefore fitting that that heritage should be re-established for the current and future generations - and as in the past, for the whole community of Caithness, regardless of faith creed or other predelictions.

Here! Here! Very well said.