PDA

View Full Version : Well Done Somerfield Staff

Venture
20-Nov-06, 19:21
After all the criticism that Somerfields have been having on this website of late I feel I have to applaud the staff for the way they coped with a situation in the store today. A woman who obviously by her accent wasnt a local was very annoyed that there were only two checkout staff on. Admittedly there were a few people waiting but they didnt have big amounts of shopping. She kept saying it was ludicrous that there were only two staff on and the sooner Tescos opened the better. If it had been in a low voice it wouldnt of been so bad but the fact she shouted it out on more than one occasion was uncalled for. If that wasnt bad enough, the poor young guy who had to serve her then had to put up with being insulted by her along with her shouting. Ten out of ten to this young man who kept the cool and was very polite with it. The woman's behaviour was totally uncalled for and the sooner she goes to Tescos the better.

unicorn
20-Nov-06, 19:27
How rude! There is no need for that kind of behaviour even if you are in a hurry, some people always think they are more important than the rest of the world and that their time is more precious than anyone elses.

candyfloss
20-Nov-06, 19:28
Well done to the young man, i can't believe how rude some people are, [disgust]
btw i love the bit the sooner she goes to Tesco's the better [lol]

misty woman
20-Nov-06, 19:44
The ignorance of some people never fails to amaze me,i work in a supermarket in wick and in the last two weeks i have been sworn at,shouted at,dont people realise it is not the checkout operators fault that they sometimes have to wait.If i had a pound for every time i heard "the sooner tescos open the better" i would be very well off.

footie chick
20-Nov-06, 20:51
I'd give it a couple of months then they'll all be moaning about tescos

misty woman
20-Nov-06, 21:17
I'd give it a couple of months then they'll all be moaning about tescosI have been thinking the same!

Jeid
20-Nov-06, 21:34
People are never happy. It's just how it is. People do not deserved to be abused. They don't make up the rotas for staff. They do their job very well I think. I've never had a problem with any staff in any of the supermarkets in Thurso.

crashbandicoot1979
20-Nov-06, 22:27
People are never happy. It's just how it is. People do not deserved to be abused. They don't make up the rotas for staff. They do their job very well I think. I've never had a problem with any staff in any of the supermarkets in Thurso.

Totally agree, I've never had any bother with any of them either. How rude of that woman to have a go at the boy that was serving her. Admittedly some of the supermarkets could do with more checkouts open some of the time but its hardly the staffs' fault.

willowbankbear
20-Nov-06, 23:31
I'd give it a couple of months then they'll all be moaning about tescos

Ye never said a truer word, sometimes folk dont realise how well off they are, they should show a wee bit of patience. Im glad I dont work in a shop,oh by the way , did anyone see Coronation street tonight/last night? The woman in Somerfields wouldve got a punch in the nose is she spoke like that in Roy & Hayleys shop !![lol]

connieb19
20-Nov-06, 23:35
Ye never said a truer word, sometimes folk dont realise how well off they are, they should show a wee bit of patience. Im glad I dont work in a shop,oh by the way , did anyone see Coronation street tonight/last night? The woman in Somerfields wouldve got a punch in the nose is she spoke like that in Roy & Hayleys shop !![lol]
OOOO, and whats up with Tracy and Claire? And as for Frankie and Jamie, well what can you say? lol
BTW pity help the Tesco staff, all the moaners in the town can't wait to get there, what a treat to look forward to. :eek:

caroline
20-Nov-06, 23:47

I feel very sorry for the staff in Sommerfield's in Wick recently they have taken a bit of stick on this site.

Speaking as a checkout operator in a well known DIY store some customers have no patience and do not realise some of the delays are not the operators fault.
Some examples I have encountered if you say £6.79 please the look at you then go into their purses and count it out to the last penny, some customers forget their pin number and have two or three go's then they try another card and the queue gets bigger also if a customer pays by cheque sometimes this has to be authorised. Customers also do not agree with the price the item scans at sometimes and this takes time to check and the customer gets annoyed you have to put their sale on layaway while another member of staff is checking the price. We have even had customers who are on their mobile phones the whole time you are serving them I think that's rude but we are not allowed to say anything.

I have been in Sommerfield's in Wick and think the staff cope very well.

WeeBurd
21-Nov-06, 22:57
After all the criticism that Somerfields have been having on this website of late I feel I have to applaud the staff for the way they coped with a situation in the store today. A woman who obviously by her accent wasnt a local was very annoyed that there were only two checkout staff on. Admittedly there were a few people waiting but they didnt have big amounts of shopping. She kept saying it was ludicrous that there were only two staff on and the sooner Tescos opened the better. If it had been in a low voice it wouldnt of been so bad but the fact she shouted it out on more than one occasion was uncalled for. If that wasnt bad enough, the poor young guy who had to serve her then had to put up with being insulted by her along with her shouting. Ten out of ten to this young man who kept the cool and was very polite with it. The woman's behaviour was totally uncalled for and the sooner she goes to Tescos the better.

Venture, we came across what I suspect to be the same woman in the Thurso Lidls a couple of months ago. Aggressive towards the cashier; shouting at other customers; swearing etc. With respect, I believe she possibly has some mental health issues.

Venture
22-Nov-06, 00:09
Cant say I agree that they are the same person. This woman was English and in her sixties. Im afraid she was just plain and simply very outspoken and very rude.

JAWS
22-Nov-06, 04:11
Oh dear, the woman is of a type I know very well and, to show I'm not being my usual sexist self, applies equally to males with the same standard of upbringing. They were not "brought up" by their parents but were what I would describe as "dragged up". In other words they were never taught any Social Graces whatsoever.

Being polite is a sign of weakness and should never be displayed. Should any politeness be displayed by others then it should be immediately taken advantage of because the other person is obviously such a wimp that they can be bullied into submission.
The only way you get anything done is by bawling, shouting and bullying people, if you don't people will ignore you! Never say "Please" or "Thank you" because that's grovelling and people will not respect you!

They are also the same people who you will hear complaining bitterly about how rude youngsters are these days and how terrible it is.

They are of the belief that by behaving as they do they will create an "impression" and in my case they certainly do. They give me the distinct impression that the world would be a much nicer place without them.

I'm afraid that when I find myself in in front of somebody like that in a queue I get terribly flustered. I immediately become the most clumsy, fumbling, bumbling and forgetful customer you have seen in your life. Oh yes, and I feel I have to constantly stop and apologise profusely to all and sundry for my incompetence.

One final point I almost forgot because I do it by instinct, I always make sure I make a point of drawing attention to Obnoxious by specifically apologising to them for inadvertently delaying them and hoping I haven’t made them late for anything important. :eek:

I always ensure that my tardiness last just long enough for me to hang around and make sure that Mr/Mrs Obnoxious do not take their frustration out on the staff as a result.

Ann
22-Nov-06, 08:44
"They are of the belief that by behaving as they do they will create an "impression" and in my case they certainly do. They give me the distinct impression that the world would be a much nicer place without them."

Well said Sir; there are a lot of them about and can be seen in many places. It is the only way loud mouthed, ignorant people can make themselves seem important in their own eyes!

The_man_from_del_monte
22-Nov-06, 21:06
Do you people spend all your time in supermarkets? ;) Man this place should be renamed Caithness_supermarkets.org ;)

unicorn
22-Nov-06, 21:46
Do you people spend all your time in supermarkets? ;) Man this place should be renamed Caithness_supermarkets.org

well until tesco start doing online shopping up here we don't really have any choice but to go out for it, what will we talk about when it is being delivered to the door :)

The_man_from_del_monte
22-Nov-06, 22:25
what will we talk about when it is being delivered to the door :)

The colour of the delivery van, the inefficiency of the driver, what time your shopping was delivered, what aftershave he was wearing, how the bags were packed (good or bad).......... plenty to talk about ;)

The_man_from_del_monte
22-Nov-06, 22:28
Aggressive towards the cashier; shouting at other customers; swearing etc. With respect, I believe she possibly has some mental health issues.

Either that or she was drunk on their cheap sangria ;) Sometimes you just gotta go "wild in the aisles" those places make me want to scream sometimes! You get close to an empty checkout and some whale like creature shunting a double decker trolley packed full of biscuits and lard beats you to it.... by the time you've spent 15 minutes looking at a big fat obese backside waddling down the checkout you feel like shouting at someone!

I had a go at some smart alec in the post office today and he deserved it, where it's justified then having a go or complaining is not a bad thing, sometimes people need to be told the truth and get a wake up call. This guy looked at my package and was like "how much is it worth?" I tell him "£32" (which is the maximum compensation level for first class recorded) he comes out with "oh, that's a very convenient figure indeed" and then goes on to explain that just because the "maximum" level is £32 doesn't mean I should declare the value at £32. I told him to get on with his job and stop trying to do someone elses job "put the damned sticker on it and give me my receipt" He looked at me like I had landed from Mars but got the message.

Sometimes you don't plan on spending hours in a place trying to touch base with a stroppy assistant and sometimes it's good to say what you feel. As I say, only if it's totally justified.

connieb19
22-Nov-06, 23:06
You must have a very large package. :eek:

Buttercup
22-Nov-06, 23:11
You must have a very large package. :eek:
Aye Connie, it was probably a "big fat obese" package that had the same effect on the PO assistant as it has on him! [lol] I take it that it's only "big fat obese" people that ever dare to hold him up in a supermarket.