PDA

View Full Version : Twel' an' a Tanner a Unit!

sids
14-May-12, 12:50
Well, nearly.

My binge drinking will be expensive from now on.

Who gets the extra money?

ducati
14-May-12, 13:07
The peeps selling the booze

Corrie 3
14-May-12, 13:23
The peeps selling the booze
Plus the Treasury in higher VAT!!

C3

golach
14-May-12, 13:35
Well, nearly.My binge drinking will be expensive from now on.Who gets the extra money?

This is one of the many reasons I did not vote for Eck's crowd, will not be able to enjoy a dram at night now, as I am not on expenses, but good news its not going to affect the price of a bottle of Buckie.
It will not be so enjoyable to spend a wee sesh in Wetherspoons now...........Eck you have a lot to answer for.

squidge
14-May-12, 13:41
This is a stupid policy. It will not make one iota of difference to those who are determined to drink. I dont beleive it will make a difference to Binge drinking either. I can accept the idea of banning promotions on booze and the Happy hour culture but minimum pricing will only mean that those who need a drink wil lonly go without something else - if you have an alcoholic mother and father then its the food that will be scarcer I rather think, or the rent, or the leccy, or, or, or... Stupid policy

Kodiak
14-May-12, 15:08
The price of alcohol is too cheap at the present time. The cost of things over a period of time normally go up not down..

Back in the 60's when I was 18 a Bottle of Whisky cost between £10 to £11 for standard blended whisky. My Take home pay for a week after tax and national insurance then, was £11-17-6. So if I bought nothing else at all, I could just about buy one bottle of Whisky, but in reality it took me 3 to 4 weeks to save up to buy one.

So the cost of a Bottle of Whisky costs far less today, even at the new minimum price, than what it did in the 60's, 50 years ago.

Alrock
14-May-12, 17:03
...The cost of things over a period of time normally go up not down..

The cost of things tend to go down not up over time...
More efficient production methods, less labour intensive, more mechanisation, not to mention cheaper imports all help to drive prices down...
Besides if it costs £x to produce it should sell for £x plus a reasonable (but not overinflated) profit...
Keeping prices artificially high is nothing more than price fixing, something that I thought was illegal. But then again the government breaking the laws that they made themselves is nothing new, in fact it is quite commonplace.

Kodiak
14-May-12, 17:16
The cost of things tend to go down not up over time...

Price of a Fish Supper in the 60's 1/11 now £5
Price of a loaf of Bread in the 60's 1/- now £1 or more
Price of a pint of Milk in the 60's 9d now 50p to 60p
Price of a Pint of Beer in the 60's 2/- now £1.60 to £2
Price of a Bottle of Whisky in the 60's £11 now £8

Some things do go down in price but these tend to be Electrinic items, ie TV's etc.

pmcd
14-May-12, 17:20
The minimum price per unit will not change the way people drink.

It may, however, change the way people vote.

Nice one, SNP!

Alrock
14-May-12, 17:31
Price of a Fish Supper in the 60's 1/11 now £5
Price of a loaf of Bread in the 60's 1/- now £1 or more
Price of a pint of Milk in the 60's 9d now 50p to 60p
Price of a Pint of Beer in the 60's 2/- now £1.60 to £2
Price of a Bottle of Whisky in the 60's £11 now £8

Could you please convert the 60's prices into the modern decimal equivalent (those prices mean nothing to me), factor in inflation, state as percentage of average income please...
The only thing that tends to drive prices up is scarcity & tax (duty). So... How much of the cost of the 2 examples of whiskey was tax & where do you get a bottle of whiskey for £8 from? Must be a very cheap foreign import at that price.

sids
14-May-12, 18:01
The price of alcohol is too cheap at the present time. The cost of things over a period of time normally go up not down..

Back in the 60's when I was 18 a Bottle of Whisky cost between £10 to £11 for standard blended whisky. My Take home pay for a week after tax and national insurance then, was £11-17-6. So if I bought nothing else at all, I could just about buy one bottle of Whisky, but in reality it took me 3 to 4 weeks to save up to buy one.

So the cost of a Bottle of Whisky costs far less today, even at the new minimum price, than what it did in the 60's, 50 years ago.

Are you sure whisky was that dear in the Sixties? £10 sounds like a lot.

Corrie 3
14-May-12, 18:54
Here you go Alrock.................

http://gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/units/money.htm

C3..............;)

Alrock
14-May-12, 18:59
Here you go Alrock.................

http://gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/units/money.htm

C3..............;)

Do I need to learn all that... Is Alex Salmond planning on reverting back to old money in an independent Scotland?

golach
14-May-12, 19:02
Sorry Kodiak, I think may you have got your prices wrong, a bottle of Whisky in the 1960's was approx £3.00. a nip was roughly a half crown, ie 2 shillings and sixpence,= 012.5p maybe even less, a pint was 1 shilling and threepence equivalent to roughly 08p, my wages at sea in those days were £44.00 a month.

Corrie 3
14-May-12, 19:02
Do I need to learn all that... Is Alex Salmond planning on reverting back to old money in an independent Scotland?
I wish he would, 10p for a fish supper sounds brilliant !!

C3............:):lol:

billmoseley
14-May-12, 19:24
brew your own. just set up a still in the shed i'm sure it will taste fine after the first few and it will be cheap lolol

Kodiak
15-May-12, 12:09
Sorry Kodiak, I think may you have got your prices wrong, a bottle of Whisky in the 1960's was approx £3.00. a nip was roughly a half crown, ie 2 shillings and sixpence,= 012.5p maybe even less, a pint was 1 shilling and threepence equivalent to roughly 08p, my wages at sea in those days were £44.00 a month.

It all comes down to when in the 60's you are talking about, after it is a 10 year period. The time I am talking about was when I was working in the Hotel Trade as a Barman and I know the prices I quoted are correct.

Perhaps you are talking about 1960 or '61 as whisky was not £3.00 a bottle a very few years later and beer was 2/- to 2/6 a pint. I know as I was selling the stuff.

golach
15-May-12, 15:20
It all comes down to when in the 60's you are talking about, after it is a 10 year period. The time I am talking about was when I was working in the Hotel Trade as a Barman and I know the prices I quoted are correct.
Perhaps you are talking about 1960 or '61 as whisky was not £3.00 a bottle a very few years later and beer was 2/- to 2/6 a pint. I know as I was selling the stuff.

I was also in the bar trade in '63 to '64 as a full time Cocktail Barman for Scottish Brewers, then a part time Barman in various pubs in Edinburgh and Leith until the 1970's. Work out the cost of a bottle @22 nips to the bottle @ even 2/6 a nip and you will get the cost price of a bottle. I went to work in the Whisky bottling plants in Leith in the early '70's the cost of producing a case of whisky was only £12.00 at that time. I know I was selling , making and drinking the stuff. [lol]

carrepairman
15-May-12, 15:29
We could organise booze cruises to England, But according to `Eks sidekick as we drink so much, There is probably not enough booze in England to satisfy demand

Kodiak
15-May-12, 16:28
I was also in the bar trade in '63 to '64 as a full time Cocktail Barman for Scottish Brewers, then a part time Barman in various pubs in Edinburgh and Leith until the 1970's. Work our the cost of a bottle @22 nips to the bottle @ even 2/6 a nip and you will get the cost price of a bottle. I went to work in the Whisky bottling plants in Leith in the early '70's the cost of producing a case of whisky was only £12.00 at that time. I know I was selling , making and drinking the stuff. [lol]

Interesting calculations.

The contents of a Bottle of Whisky back then was 26 2/3 Fl Oz's - 1 Fl Oz = to 1/5 Gill so you got 26 Measures + 2/3 Fl Oz for spillage. Not 22 as you state. Now a Bottle of whisky contains 70 CL from which you 28 Nips of 25CL.

The cost of producing whisky has nothing to do with the retail cost.

In reality it makes no difference what a Nip costs in a Bar, now or back in the 60's. What counts is the cost of a Bottle from a Off Licence or Supermarket. The Scottish Government want to have a minimum price of 50p a measure which would make a standard bottle of Gin, Vodka or whisky £14. 28 X 50p.

All I am saying is that the price of alcohol is too cheap comparing to what it used to be.

To prove what I mean I will take price what you said golach. You said that you paid £3 for a Bottle of whisky in the early 60's and that you earned £44 a Month. This then would mean your weekly wage would be £11.

So then if you paid £3 for the said Bottle this would be slightly more than 25% of your weekly wage. So bring this forward to today and if a working man were to pay 25% of his weekly wage for a bottle what would it be? £75......Silly Price. Even 25% of a single Person's State Pension would be £26.75.

So the price of alcohol today is very cheap indeed and at even £14 a Bottle it will not be expensive.

Alrock
15-May-12, 16:49
Still no feedback/opinions on my main point...

Keeping prices artificially high is nothing more than price fixing, something that I thought was illegal. But then again the government breaking the laws that they made themselves is nothing new, in fact it is quite commonplace.

bluemafia
15-May-12, 17:18
will the scottish parliament still get their subsidised drams at the same subsidy, or will the subsidy go down?

sids
15-May-12, 17:27
will the scottish parliament still get their subsidised drams at the same subsidy, or will the subsidy go down?

What do they pay?

sids
15-May-12, 17:29
even £14 a Bottle it will not be expensive.

Yes it will.

golach
15-May-12, 19:13

The contents of a Bottle of Whisky back then was 26 2/3 Fl Oz's - 1 Fl Oz = to 1/5 Gill so you got 26 Measures + 2/3 Fl Oz for spillage. Not 22 as you state. Now a Bottle of whisky contains 70 CL from which you 28 Nips of 25CL..

Using you calculations and at the price of 2/6 a nip, how much did a bar make on a bottle then.

I was at sea and paid duty free prices for my whisky, very rarely drank whisky in those days, prefered my beer as I do today. A pint was always cheaper than a nip, until the late 70's when a pint became dearer than a nip as it still stands today