PDA

View Full Version : Languages and Cultures. What is going on?

David Banks
13-May-12, 15:27
1. On the recent thread "Well Well Well!" there was lively discussion on the law which mandates English and Gaelic bilingualism for Scotland, and in particular, its attempts at implementation in Caithness.

2. In my two-cents' worth on that thread, I also mentioned the Gaelic language presence in Nova Scotia, but no one on the thread expressed a desire for it to survive.

3. Recently, I was at a meeting attended by some Nova Scotia Acadians who expressed a strong connection to their Acadian roots (in perfect English, of course), and the version of French which they speak among themselves.

4. I have just finished a book about the now extinct Beothuk people of Newfoundland (see my thread in the literature section of the org).

5. And, in today's 'The Nova Scotian' there is a writeup on a new book "The Language of this land, MI'KMA'KI."

So, from a sample of only two places I have lived on this earth (not exactly a world traveller, eh?), I wonder again what is going on. A mere coincidence. Nothing to be worried about. Who cares anyway.