PDA

View Full Version : Road Works at coop and High School

rfr10
20-Nov-06, 16:12
Why have the council just left these new crossings lying there without finishing the work. Could they not have finished one before starting the other?

caithnessboyagee
20-Nov-06, 19:02
Why have the council just left these new crossings lying there without finishing the work. Could they not have finished one before starting the other?Come on now it's the council maybe they have run out of money ;)

rfr10
20-Nov-06, 20:34
Should have thought of that myself :D

funky-dunky
20-Nov-06, 20:44
yeah i know it is a disgrace about the roadworks and did anyone notice they go on and do more than just that 2 bits xx

rfr10
20-Nov-06, 20:53
yeah i know it is a disgrace about the roadworks and did anyone notice they go on and do more than just that 2 bits xx
:eek: where else?? I don't think the council would listen if you complained because I sent them a message about the street lights in our street a while ago, someone from the Inverness Area replied and said they would forward it on to the Caithness office. Haven't had a reply yet. Maybe they only listen to adults :S

joanne1
22-Nov-06, 09:12
It really annoys me when members on this forum have nothing better to do than complain about things that not even the Council Staff can do nothing about, maybe you have not noticed that the work near the High school crossing is well under way, its strange when the staff do an excellent job of the work they do I never hear anyone on here saying well done, just give them a break they are human like the rest of us.

JAWS
22-Nov-06, 09:37
But is it really necessary and will it make the slightest improvement to anything?

Bill Fernie
22-Nov-06, 11:45
The works around Wick High school are part of an intitiative to save the lives of school children and to reduce the number of road accidients in which children are involved.

Check this Scottish Executive web site for lots of information on why councils all over Scotland are doing works around schools -
http://www.scotland.gov.uk/library2/doc08/srs-00.htm

Another strand of this programme is the 20 miles an hour during certain times being brought in near schools all over Highland.

A lot of work went into the preparation of the plan for Wick High and then obtaining the finance to put the measures into place. How many lives might be saved or accidents prevented we will never know for sure. But across Scotland the aim is to reduce the number of deaths and accidents happening to children and young people. Over the years I certainly hope that as result of the schems happening all over Scotland we see many less tragedies for individuals and their families. I hope everyone would agree that Highland council working with groups in each area were right to bid for share of the money that the Scottish Executive offered to carry out these works

As to the council getting on with the works. Contracts are given to companies who carry out the work within certain time scales. As they have to organise series of different trades to do the work it is normally up to them how they organise this.

rfr10
22-Nov-06, 16:59
[quote=joanne1;163318]It really annoys me when members on this forum have nothing better to do than complain about things that not even the Council Staff can do nothing about, maybe you have not noticed that the work near the High school crossing is well under way, its strange when the staff do an excellent job of the work they do I never hear anyone on here saying well done, just give them a break they are human like the rest of us.[/quot

No one is complaining to annoy people. It's called getting you views across to others. I wouldn't really call it complaining either, I would only call it that if I was pessimistic. I put it on here to see if anyone would give a reason why it is taking so long (like Bill just did) and not to gurn and complain about the council for no apparent reason.

Also, like I said in a previous thread, something should be done to actually stop the drivers from speeding back and fore past the high school. As this raised crossing will only be in two places, it wont stop cars from speeding. It's good that they are trying to do something about it as I have said before.

JAWS
22-Nov-06, 17:53
I have yet to see or hear anything, other than a few gimmicky phrases, to show that any of these ideas are either necessary or helpful.

So far I have seen no figures being produced which indicate that all the "new initiatives" are anything but a lot of activity in the hope that it will be mistaken for progress.

Unless youngsters of High School age have altered dramatically since either I, or my sons, were that age, being good little children and following the "rules" about where and when to cross the road will just not happen.

There's more likelihood of them tidying up after themselves, putting all their clothes neatly away and offering to help mummy clean the house rather than be with their mates.
Has anybody ever met a teenager with a neat tidy room with nothing out of place? :lol:

rfr10
22-Nov-06, 18:10
I have yet to see or hear anything, other than a few gimmicky phrases, to show that any of these ideas are either necessary or helpful.

So far I have seen no figures being produced which indicate that all the "new initiatives" are anything but a lot of activity in the hope that it will be mistaken for progress.

Unless youngsters of High School age have altered dramatically since either I, or my sons, were that age, being good little children and following the "rules" about where and when to cross the road will just not happen.

There's more likelihood of them tidying up after themselves, putting all their clothes neatly away and offering to help mummy clean the house rather than be with their mates.
Has anybody ever met a teenager with a neat tidy room with nothing out of place? :lol:

Yes, lots of pupils in the school don't bother looking for cars which they should be but one issue which should be looked at is the speed that some cars drive past the high school at lunch time. I receive an email from Northern Constab. that they are adressing the issue but something should be done soon before someone gets hurt and Im sure there have already been a few accidents at the front of the High School.

beena
22-Nov-06, 19:57
Did no one notice that the crossing at Wick High is finished and I agree with what joanne1 said about people complaining , if your not complaining then why put a post on here.

rfr10
22-Nov-06, 20:12
Did no one notice that the crossing at Wick High is finished and I agree with what joanne1 said about people complaining , if your not complaining then why put a post on here.

Yes noticed, they finished it today. As I said before, I put a post on here too see if anyone would say why they have stopped working at it. Im sorry.. newspapers say stuff that will annoy some people and not others.. same on here although, I never write anything on here deliberately to annoy everyone so if you want to take it that way then I'm sorry. :S

JAWS
22-Nov-06, 20:23
rfr10, there are simple solutions to stop through traffic going past the school altogether.

You say you are sure there must have been accidents outside the school. The question is does anybody know when any have occured?

If there is a problem then, yes, it should be solved. My question is are we busy solving a problem which doesn't actually exist in the first place?

"Everybody knows", but does anybody have any facts?

Alice in Blunderland
22-Nov-06, 20:26
Mercy Jaws this is Caithness everybody always knows but nobody ever has the facts.....:lol: ;)

rfr10
22-Nov-06, 20:28
I sent an message to: highland council, Sc. Exec. Dept. of transport, Northern Constab and to someone to do with road safety.. I got a reply from Northern Constab as I already said and Highland Council so say that they are aware of the problem and are addressing it..

JAWS
22-Nov-06, 21:00
But that doesn't answer the question and neither does the reply from Northern Constabulary.
If you complain somebody complains they get wet when it rains the same standard reply will be sent that they are aware and are addressing the problem. It's the standard reply for any non-specific complaint.

The question is, have there been any accidents outside the school during school hours, even where nobody was hurt or any pupil involved, and roughly when did they happen?

It doesn't seem to be such a complicated question and the answer must be available from the records any accidents which have occured.

unicorn
22-Nov-06, 21:57
Surely all of the safer routes to school and speed awareness initiatives that are going on around schools at the moment can only be seen as a good thing, Why on earth should we wait for a child to be hurt or worse killed before we act. Prevention is definately better than cure and children are always so busy thinking about 100 things at once that they are not always paying the necessary attention when crossing roads so for adults to have enough reminders to slow down is a great idea in my mind :)

JAWS
23-Nov-06, 16:31
Outside Infant and Junior Schools I would agree it makes sense but how old do you have to be before you are allowed to cross a road without somebody holding your hand.
The way High School Pupils are being treated I'm surprised they can wipe their own noses and tie their own shoes.
By the time youngsters go on to Secondary Education they should be able to cross a side road unassisted.
How do they cross roads the rest of the time or do they go straight home and never leave the house until the next school day?
I wonder how they manage at weekends when they are out with their "m8s" I believe it written.

If traffic driving past the High School is such a problem then the solution is simple, block the road at one end and turn it into a Cul-de-sac. That solves the problem completely for all pedestrians at whatever time of day.
I'm sure that the problem cannot be confined to such a tiny amount of time as School Lunch time.
That would seem to be the solution which would prove to be safest.

No through traffic, no risk of any accidents for anybody.
Better safe than sorry!

rfr10
23-Nov-06, 16:51
Outside Infant and Junior Schools I would agree it makes sense but how old do you have to be before you are allowed to cross a road without somebody holding your hand.
The way High School Pupils are being treated I'm surprised they can wipe their own noses and tie their own shoes.
By the time youngsters go on to Secondary Education they should be able to cross a side road unassisted.
How do they cross roads the rest of the time or do they go straight home and never leave the house until the next school day?
I wonder how they manage at weekends when they are out with their "m8s" I believe it written.

If traffic driving past the High School is such a problem then the solution is simple, block the road at one end and turn it into a Cul-de-sac. That solves the problem completely for all pedestrians at whatever time of day.
I'm sure that the problem cannot be confined to such a tiny amount of time as School Lunch time.
That would seem to be the solution which would prove to be safest.

No through traffic, no risk of any accidents for anybody.
Better safe than sorry!

It's not really all cars that cause the problem in Wick anyway. It's the young drivers who like to speed up and down past the school at lunch time. The rest of the day it's not too bad. Thats a great idea about one way but how do the busses get turned??

JAWS
23-Nov-06, 19:06
They stop at the end of the road and the youngsters use those two usleess appendages hanging from their hips.

Has anybody got another solution?

rfr10
23-Nov-06, 20:44
They stop at the end of the road and the youngsters use those two usleess appendages hanging from their hips.

Has anybody got another solution?

Erm.. I thought that if they had put speed bumps or a permanent speed camera on the road at the front of the school, this would stop a lot of speeding.

JAWS
23-Nov-06, 21:11
That will not stop accidents, they can still happen at 20mph and at 30mph. The only safe way is to prevent traffic using the road completely if the main concern is children's safety.

What's the problem with blocking one end of the road to stop all through traffic and reduce the chance of an accident to zero. That would obviously be the safest option.
I can't see why that solution would not work.

rfr10
23-Nov-06, 21:36
That will not stop accidents, they can still happen at 20mph and at 30mph. The only safe way is to prevent traffic using the road completely if the main concern is children's safety.

What's the problem with blocking one end of the road to stop all through traffic and reduce the chance of an accident to zero. That would obviously be the safest option.
I can't see why that solution would not work.

Yes, you're quite right but not sure the council would actually do that especially after just putting a new crossing in. So the alternative would be speed bumps even if it didn't prevent accidents, it would still give people the chance to cross the road without worrying about a car speeding up the road. I've seen the police there one day with speed guns which they only used every so often and cars just slowed down as they got near them so that didn't help.

JAWS
23-Nov-06, 21:47
Have they put a Crossing outside the High School as well?

rfr10
23-Nov-06, 21:50
Have they put a Crossing outside the High School as well?

The thing which looks like a speed bump at the end of the road at the junction is a raised crossing. Firstly, I thought it was a speed bump but no.

JAWS
24-Nov-06, 00:16
Ha right, now I've got the picture.

dirdyweeker
24-Nov-06, 00:31
The thing which looks like a speed bump at the end of the road at the junction is a raised crossing. Firstly, I thought it was a speed bump but no.
I believe this 'raised crossing' is to slow traffic down as well as act as a crossing. It is part of 'calming measures' to reduce speed. It is now complete by the looks of it today, just the one now on Thurso Road (island) and it will be complete.

Abdullah
24-Nov-06, 00:31
How many kids have lost their lives crossing the road to go to the high school?
I'm not saying that safety isn't important but it's hardly an accident blackspot is it.

rfr10
24-Nov-06, 16:46
How many kids have lost their lives crossing the road to go to the high school?
I'm not saying that safety isn't important but it's hardly an accident blackspot is it.

Maybe not an accident blackspot but it's waiting to happen sometime. Has anyone actually seen the speed of the cars at lunch time? All the young racers.

Yes, the raised crossing is to slow the cars down aswell but only until they get over it and off we go again..zooomm!! It would be good if they had put something like that all the way up the road.