PDA

View Full Version : Around my table....

squidge
12-May-12, 16:05
I have had many interesting and unusual people share dinner with my family, some of you are perhaps reading this. Tomorrow night to my great surprise we have our first ever multi millionaire! He is happy to be sharing our roast pork sunday dinner (rhubarb crumble and chocolate truffle tart for dessert ) but I told him to bring his own wine cos the plonk we buy from Tesco probably won't be to his taste lol. Seems a nice lad so Im sure we will have our usual fun and entertaining evening.

You never know who your going to meet do you! Who has been your most surprising dinner guest?

poppett
12-May-12, 16:25
The late, great Marty Robbins. Great company and he was amused by the outside toilet facilities.

teddybear1873
12-May-12, 17:09
I have had many interesting and unusual people share dinner with my family, some of you are perhaps reading this. Tomorrow night to my great surprise we have our first ever multi millionaire! He is happy to be sharing our roast pork sunday dinner (rhubarb crumble and chocolate truffle tart for dessert ) but I told him to bring his own wine cos the plonk we buy from Tesco probably won't be to his taste lol. Seems a nice lad so Im sure we will have our usual fun and entertaining evening.

You never know who your going to meet do you! Who has been your most surprising dinner guest?

Do we have to guess like 'Through The Keyhole'

pat
12-May-12, 21:59
I do not care how much money a person has - it is the person themselves, not their wealth that I appreciate.

In the B&B there have been quite a few extremely wealthy people, one regular is a multi m but they do not get any different attention or treatment than anyone else.

Before B&B, in my work I came across many extremely wealthy, some extremely nice people you do not realise have the vast amounts of wealth they have, but some completely obnoxious big headed idiots who considered as they had money or status everyone should cow-tow to them.

An extremely wealthy titled lady in her own home, I was there to do some work. Advised her I was not a personal servant, but this lady continued to speak to me in a very derogatory manner, advised her I had never been spoken to in that manner and telephoned the agency I was working for, in this lady's presense, advising them I was leaving the premises due to this lady's attrocious behaviour, telling them of her requests and foul language when I refused to do as she wanted. They fully supported my stance and withdrew from providing agency cover.

Wealth means nothing - the 'older' the money usually means the more normal the person

Ballymore
12-May-12, 22:38
Why did you buy pork from Tesco when we have excellent local suppliers??? Homegrown piggies on Caithness soil - that would impress more!!!

My mum had dinner with the guy that plays the saxophone on the Simpsons - she said he was really interesting.
I had dinner with a team that had climbed Mount Everest way back in '87 - all young and "down to earth" - the Swedish Ambassador was the host, I worked for his secretary at the time in Beijing. The Ambassador was wearing a suit, his wife a perfect dress and these climbers were in t-shirts and combat trousers and yes - what you wear does not matter - it's the person themselves - as pat mentoned above.
Another suprise guest was that spider that dropped down from the ceiling and landed in the tatties - it certainly suprised us!

Kenn
12-May-12, 23:02
Best dinner guests I ever had were feathered ones, Barn Owl,Snowy Owl,Tawny Owl and Eagle Owl..excellent manners, did not require cooked food or a knife and fork!

squidge
12-May-12, 23:15
Why did you buy pork from Tesco when we have excellent local suppliers??? Homegrown piggies on Caithness soil - that would impress more!!!My mum had dinner with the guy that plays the saxophone on the Simpsons - she said he was really interesting.I had dinner with a team that had climbed Mount Everest way back in '87 - all young and "down to earth" - the Swedish Ambassador was the host, I worked for his secretary at the time in Beijing. The Ambassador was wearing a suit, his wife a perfect dress
and these climbers were in t-shirts and combat trousers and yes - what you wear does not matter - it's the person themselves - as pat mentoned above.Another suprise guest was that spider that dropped down from the ceiling and landed in the tatties - it certainly suprised us! I dont live in Caithness any more and I said Tesco PLONK lol. Although I do buy Tesco pork because it is on special offer... And we are always skint. You maybe get me wrong. He isnt coming for a dinner party lol lol, he is simply joining in with our Sunday Tea, me, the Bruce, the kids, granny, granda, and our friend Dave. Pork is what we were having before we asked him to come and before we knew he was a multi millionaire and pork is what we are having now. I am not starry eyed, just amused by the fact that I never know who is going to blow into our dining room. Its funny and leads to
a delightfully interesting life. I thought it would be interesting to hear your stories too.

squidge
12-May-12, 23:19
Best dinner guests I ever had were feathered ones, Barn Owl,Snowy Owl,Tawny Owl and Eagle Owl..excellent manners, did not require cooked food or a knife and fork!Mum and Dad had an owl for dinner one night. It fell down the chimney and WHAT a job they had getting it to leave lol

secrets in symmetry
13-May-12, 00:36
I don't normally categorise people by how much dosh they have stacked away - but since you asked....

My cousin is (probably) a multi-millionaire - he stayed at my old flat, so he's been for dinner.

One of my work mates is (likely) a multi-millionaire, and he's been for dinner.

An old school mate is coming to stay next week. He's in that category too.

But in reality, I'd rather have Cat Cubie...or Violet (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?172132-Violet-Hill&).... :cool:

squidge
13-May-12, 08:36
No SiS i didnt ask what Rich guests you have had, I asked what SURPRISING guests you have had. Im glad you have so many rich friends. I dont have any lol. Which is why its surprising that i have this foreign one coming for dinner. He is doing his bike licence and was yesterday a bit fed up of having his evenings on his own, so our friend Dave invited him to eat with us tonight. Thats why it was a surprise. I have also had a couple of german reenactors who we picked up at Castle Stuart, some spanish hitch hikers who slept on our floor, an iraqi asylum seeker, a magician and a fire eater lol. They were all a surprise and made for an entertaining night.

secrets in symmetry
14-May-12, 00:21
I know what you asked squidge, but I couldn't think of any really surprising guests. However, I was surprised that I knew anyone that might be a multi-millionaire - which made those guests surprising....

Is there any rhubarb crumble left?

squidge
14-May-12, 07:57
Aye and custard, the chocolate truffle tart all went though. Lovely evening (he said he had a great kosher day yesterday.... Bacon and tattie scone roll and roast pork) We had a good night and did a lot of laughing. He is going to come back next year with his russian ballerina wife and his wee boy. He will be living in Spain then so not such a journey for the wee one. He asked Dave whether he should eat something before he came in case he didnt like what i cooked, apparently thats usual practice when going somewhere new in Tel Aviv. Dave said Absolutely not lol and he was very glad he didnt lol. We had fun.

secrets in symmetry
15-May-12, 13:38
Coincidentally, I am just about to go out to meet my mate from Tel Aviv! It can't be the same person because mine is married to a school teacher...

I forgot about the custard - sorry....