PDA

View Full Version : cctv in wick

bacardibabe
15-Jan-05, 17:08
about time we had cctv in wick as mentioned in the groat.money seems to be the problem,thurso have had cctv since some time now and evidence has been used in court,maybe this could be an advantage in wick.i heard about someone getting attacked by the family from hell in wick in on the main street.

Blabber Mooth
15-Jan-05, 17:59
I totally agree with what your saying. It is a thought going out in Wick with "the family from Hell" on the rampage!They seem to rule the roost in Wick! At least if the camera's were in place, then the police would have enough evidence to put these sad people behind bars...WHERE THEY BELONG! What is wrong is people are threatened and are scared to say who is behind the attacks, leaving them to roam free. Let's stop these people so that our children are not going to be subjected to assaults! Bring in CCTV!!!

katarina
15-Jan-05, 20:51
I totally agree with what your saying. Let's stop these people so that our children are not going to be subjected to assaults! Bring in CCTV!!!

I totally agree as well. Maybe we should get a petition up to force the council to do something. thurso seems to be away ahead of us in most things.

gravedigga
15-Jan-05, 21:23
Aye i notice Thurso is getting money to upgrade theirs, if you ask me i reckon we shouldo got them instead then Thurso get theirs upgraded with what money was left - what exactly's wrong with the ones they have it's not as if they're that old is it? It would certainly help secure a lot more convictions if we did get it in Wick.

Especially since the only reason half these people get away with it is cos they got the witnesses too scared to give evidence and a lawyer who knows how to twist people's words and try to make them look stupid. . . . . . . The best of it is they're getting it through legal aid!! [mad] [mad]

I'd like to know why Thurso got it first anyway? There's probably a higher crime rate in Wick i'd imagine??

A petition's what we need. The council have been going on about it for long enough, bout time they started putting their words in to action! :mad:

daviddd
15-Jan-05, 21:28
what are the police doing about this 'family from hell'? Can't they follow them and maybe catch them in the act? You should get your councillors to petiition the police and ask what is being done?

Julia
16-Jan-05, 00:34
A friend of mine was beaten up by four teenagers last week outside of Woolies in Wick, he was punched and kicked to the ground, he (a 40 year old bloke) gave chase (not the wisest move) and was then surrounded by approx 15 in the council car park, one of them hit him in the face with a wooden fence post, he's now sporting a black eye and cracked nose!

Ironically he was defending two passers by who had been assaulted by the same teenagers.

CCTV in the town centre would of completely prevented those two incidents!

btw who are the 'family from hell'?

gravedigga
16-Jan-05, 00:50
As we can't name names on here i've sent you a PM.

moshmosh
16-Jan-05, 01:34
Is anyone familiar with the phrase "Ye geeing me cheek? A hink ye were biy."

Naefearjustbeer
16-Jan-05, 04:18
bring back the stocks and public flogging. That would sort them out.

Fifi
16-Jan-05, 11:15
Stop blaming the Police for not 'catching' these people. Be realistic - they can't possibly be everywhere all of the time just waiting for someone to do something wrong! If you all know who is causing the trouble why don't you do something about it? I'm not talking vigilante gangs by the way, just the public spiritness that Wick can be so good at. Be prepared to stand up as a witness and encourage others to do the same. I'm aware that more trouble may result initially but if those in the right are persistant then it must surely show the bully boy cowards that they can't keep getting off with things.

There must be a community policeperson available? Ask them for advice. If the trouble is around your home get a camera and take evidence, note times and details. Don't be intimidated. A lot of people talk about the 'good old days' when policemen could clip a trouble maker round the ear - I don't think we should return to that but the idea was based around respect. Teach your own kids what that means and know where they are so that they can't get involved in trouble.

BTW what happened to the bloke beaten up in the council car park - anyone caught for it? Did any witnesses come forward?

gravedigga
16-Jan-05, 12:50
We know the police can't be everywhere all the time that's exactly why cctv would be such a help, even if we only got it installed around high street and the main streets it would make a difference especially after the Waterfront and later on at night when a lot of these things happen.

I have discussed with the police about getting a restraining order but they say there needs to be 3 instances where i've been approached and this has to be logged with the police each time. The problem with that is i can only take an order out against one person so as soon as i've got an order against one of them a relative or relatives will start instead and anyway not everyone has the money to go to court and pay a solicitor to take out orders - it just seems we can't win. :confused

I believe the PPP were having meetings but no one can discuss these problem people to work out a solution as they turn up at the meetings so what can ye do? It's getting to the stage in this town where people are getting sick fed up of them and vigilante gangs will take matters in to their own hands - then it'll really kick off.

katarina
16-Jan-05, 16:10
the stage in this town where people are getting sick fed up of them and vigilante gangs will take matters in to their own hands - then it'll really kick off.

I can't name names, but I know one person who did take the law into his own hands - he got his goods back and hasn't been bothered since. the family from hell are cowards at heart!
Get the cameras up before something really serious happens!

Fifi
16-Jan-05, 16:59
Gravedigga - you seem to have an ongoing problem with certain individuals (who I don't know, so can't comment on) which sounds like they are making your life hell. I realise that my remarks must sound a bit condecending to you and if so please accept my apologies. I was talking in general i.e. if you see something happen in the street you should not be afraid to stand up and be a witness, however I fully understand that in cases of victimisation this may be a different matter.

Maybe the PPP can help form a neighbourhood group to build esteem and pride at which decent folk could set out how they want the area to be without allowing any slanging matches to take place (a good committee/chairperson is essential and perhaps police spokesperson) . I believe this type of approach has worked well in troubled areas in inner cities which had a lot more problems than Wick. As both Katarina and I mentioned these bullies are cowards at heart and may not feel so confident in the face of a group of people who stand against them. With any luck they would just slink off the scene!

I realise that this is getting off topic of CCTV cameras and into social problems instead. Again, my apologies. As far as the cameras go - yes, I'm for them in the areas you mention outside clubs and on main streets, they do work there. However, they are a tool and aid, not the answer, to reducing crime. The problems mentioned regarding this hellish family will not be solved by CCTV.

gravedigga
16-Jan-05, 17:18
Someone suggested to me an anti social behaviour order may work, and looking on here http://www.crimereduction.gov.uk/asbos9.htm the behaviour going on up here certainly fits the criteria.

Had a look at this guide - http://www.crimereduction.gov.uk/asbos9.pdf it says the local police or authorities can apply for one of these, i think the info i'm looking at is for England dunno if scotland'd be the same or not??

Margaret M.
16-Jan-05, 18:40
I think CCTV is a great idea. The last time we were home, we were vexed by how run down the town, particularly the town center looked. As for the vandalism, it is my understanding that many locals know whom is causing the damage/trouble but are too intimidated to come forward. I hear that in some instances when someone has contacted the police, they may then get a window smashed or be the victim of some other act of violence to convey the message that they better not tell what they know. The harassment has been going on for some time and the violence continues. The same holds true with the drug activity in the area, many of the locals know those involved but fear keeps them silent. There is also a perception by some that the police just don't want to deal with it. I think it is encouraging to see this issue being discussed and hopefully the appropriate authorities will really focus on the problem and start dealing with it, it is troubling to think that some citizens of what should be a close knit community, live in fear.

I am encouraged by the information on this website today. I do hope things will turn around for Wick and the resulting job opportunites should play a key role in revitalizing the area.

The Pepsi Challenge
16-Jan-05, 20:13
Alas, the town is a cultrual Chernobyl. More's the pity.

Blabber Mooth
16-Jan-05, 20:23
Stop blaming the Police for not 'catching' these people
Are you related to these police in some way? You seem to be standing up for a job NOT well done.

If you all know who is causing the trouble why don't you do something about it?
I don't want to be battered 5 times in 1 week by THESE people for grassing on them.

Don't be intimidated
I was brought up in Wick and THEY have always been there, but the new genereration is a lot worse!!! They dont care who or what they hurt or the damage they do to peoples property. People are scared, the police appear to do nothing and from what I've heard are scared to do anything.

A lot of people talk about the 'good old days' when policemen could clip a trouble maker round the ear
I was brought up in those days but this is the 21st century and kids nowadays have no respect as they know too much about their own rights and what they can get away with and know how to play the system!

Fifi, it's not that I think that you are wrong it's just I don't think you've expereinced this kind of thing first hand. I think that people who have been on the receiving end of this kind of violence know exactly where I'm coming from. Its sad!

I SAY... Put THESE people on Stroma, behind a big 20ft wall... Let them eat each other, that's the kind of people they are!!!

bacardibabe
16-Jan-05, 21:18
Stroma sounds good, Portafield is where they should be after all the tyres they've slashed and windows they've broken, etc, etc, etc. What would they do if a gang of folk appeared outside their house?

Fifi
16-Jan-05, 21:31
Hey Blabber Mooth,

Yes, you're right - I have not experienced that amount of intimidation personally and so I don't know how it feels to be threatened 24/7. I have just been roasted by my partner for looking through rose-tinted glasses at the world and I suppose it's true. I just find it hard to believe that things have got so bad in Wick that they can't be put right. I also do believe that the Police do usually do a good job but, again, I have not had cause to be on the negative side of any treatment by them. As I said to Gravedigga earlier, I apologise if I seem to be over simplifying matters.

By the way, I grew up in Wick too. I think it's a great town and hate to see this kind of behaviour spoiling it's reputation.

katarina
16-Jan-05, 22:31
[
I SAY... Put THESE people on Stroma, behind a big 20ft wall... Let them eat each other, that's the kind of people they are!!![/quote]

No way do we want to pollute Stroma with these degenerates! It's a lovely place to visit in the summer. I say St Kilda!

katarina
16-Jan-05, 22:36
Stroma sounds good, Portafield is where they should be after all the tyres they've slashed and windows they've broken, etc, etc, etc. What would they do if a gang of folk appeared outside their house?

they'd run scared! It's what we should do! A bunch of mothers on a housing estate in Glasgow managed to run off all the drug dealers - Crime only flourishes if a society allows it to!
If you are scared of recriminations there is always crimestoppers. I phoned the police about boys I saw trying to vandalize a property. I knew who they were, but because they all had hoods up, and I could not see their faces, the police told me that my evidence would be useless. To my knowledge it didn't go any further. In defence of the police however, they are badly undermanned, and as in everything else now-a-days, bogged down by paperwork.

Mr P Cannop
16-Jan-05, 22:49
take photos for evidence ??

Blabber Mooth
16-Jan-05, 22:53
In answer to the police problem, "get the Glesga polis up"!!!!!! They'll sort THEM out and then our town will be respectable again.

Sorry Fifi for snapping a bit at you, we're helping you understand how we feel about THEM. THEY are intollerable.

If not Stroma, how about the Pentland Skerries?!

bacardibabe
16-Jan-05, 23:12
katarina,brilliant idea,go for it.

Fifi
16-Jan-05, 23:13
When Katarina talks about the group of mothers running drug dealers off the estate that was the kind of action I was getting at - BUT NOT a gang of people turning up outside their door and kicking them out. That just makes you as bad as them! Sure, you band together, but do it right - get the anti-social orders that Gravedigga was talking about and get the authorities on your side. If you just scare them out of their house the problem just goes somewhere else and ok it might not be on your doorstep anymore, but it's going to be on someone else's close to you.

bacardibabe
16-Jan-05, 23:20
now i understand why your partner gave you a roasting.

gravedigga
16-Jan-05, 23:38
take photos for evidence ??

LOL

Like i'm gonna stand there clicking away while they batter me, more chance of them nicking the camera.

I suppose the best place to start would maybe be the police - see what their take is on an anti social behaviour order

Mr P Cannop
16-Jan-05, 23:42
if the police won't do anything who else will ??

Naefearjustbeer
17-Jan-05, 00:11
Surely if they are causing all this trouble the police have to act. Maybe as a group of concerned neighbours you have to catch them redhanded and march them to the police station by the scruff of the neck with a size ten boot to the backside every couple of steps. With enough witnesses and depositing them at the police station they will be forced to lock them up.

Mr P Cannop
17-Jan-05, 09:40
but the police are not doing enough ??

Fifi
17-Jan-05, 11:13
now i understand why your partner gave you a roasting.

Okay, fair comment - but at least I'm only looking through rose tinted glasses, not using blinkers! I am trying to make constructive comments here - yes, it would be great if you could stick them all on an island but you might as well say stick them in a rocket and send them to the moon!!

If they are as savvy as you say then forming a baying mob to drag them to the police station is not going to work as you will end up as the bad guys. If you are serious about tackling a social problem like this then you have to get smarter than them and start using the methods at your disposal like anti-social orders and the police.

Now, I'm getting down off my soap box and putting my dummy back in 'cos I have obviously said enough on the subject!!

Rheghead
17-Jan-05, 12:35
Katarina wrote
No way do we want to pollute Stroma with these degenerates! It's a lovely place to visit in the summer. I say St Kilda!

Wrong again! St Kilda is beautiful as well, argueably more so. I have a copy of that famous James Smith's photograph above my fireplace. I wouldn't like to think it could be a haven for the dregs of Wick society.

Though your suggestion is in the right ball park, I suggest putting these scum bags 50 miles further west of St Kilda as a more environmentally friendly option. :evil :evil

DrSzin
17-Jan-05, 17:23
Is anyone familiar with the phrase "Ye geeing me cheek? A hink ye were biy."
Gawd, that takes me back. I haven't heard that particular Caithness "greeting" for years, decades even. I find it remarkable that the progenitors of that particular utterence have gone forth and multiplied. Whatever happened to survival of the fittest?

Zael
17-Jan-05, 17:59
Survival of the fittest doesnt apply to the 'breed' that gets:

- Free Council House
- Bru Money
- Legal Aid
- Free Council Tax
- Free Stuff from other folks houses
- Freedom to deal and take as much drugs/drink as they like
- Freedom from any kind of Police harassment

etc etc.

sophietotnot
17-Jan-05, 18:05
As a teacher, and a former teacher in Wick HS within the last 5 years I can suggest further reasons for their behaviour.

Just watch ANY teen soap, teen school prog or any aussie soap and you'll see where it comes from.
In ALL these progs the kids are ALWAYS seen to be right in the end, and adults (esp teachers) as intolerant and wrong. This gives all kids the idea they can do what they want with no fear of any significant recrimination!

As I was often told by children from a certain Wick clan "ye canne tell me whit ti dee!!" And they know they're right. [mad]

My ultimate sanction in Wick High??? Send a note to their guidance teacher. Ultimate sanction, 3-5 days at home, some punishment. :~(

It's the same down here in Dumfries-shire. Kids have no fear of what a teacher/school can do in terms of punishment and grow up as thugs! Until SOMETHING is done to redress the balance we're going to have no-go ghettos in most of rural Scotland!

When I was at school (in the early 80s in Thurso btw) we actually had some respect, even the worst of the "bad boys" had a line they wouldna cross. Recently I've had a pupil swear at me about twice a week on average, and despite reporting these incidents he is still in school as "we have a legal obligation................"

I'd appreciate any suggestions as to what we can do to turn back the clock, but I'm afraid we're gonna be stuck with anti-social hooligans, with no fear of recrimination/police action for the forseeable future!

Soryy to be such a misery, but when you see each new intake worse than before.....................

Rheghead
17-Jan-05, 18:14
The accelleration of all this bad behavior all stemmed from John Major's Children and youg persons Act.

It took too many rights away from Teachers/parents and gave kids too many priveleges.

daviddd
17-Jan-05, 20:19

they'd run scared! It's what we should do! A bunch of mothers on a housing estate in Glasgow managed to run off all the drug dealers - Crime only flourishes if a society allows it to!
.That's an interesting idea Katrina - but dangerous. I guess people are driven to do such a thing through sheer desperation, but it seemed to work, as you say. It has often happened that if the police weren't able to keep control there would come a point where local people would stand up and be counted. I'm not suggesting that should happen in this case, but it does seem quite clear that the police are unable to conrol this element at the moment - howz about if the Wick police / councillors / local people / MP's / whoever were able to make enough fuss so as to to try and get police reinforcements until this scourge is quenched. Lobby your MP's and councillors, write to the police commissioner in Glasgow or wherever, highlight how bad this problem is and it might be possible to get extra help to deal with it. Maybe the council can evict them, maybe some of these new laws about problem neighbours can be used against them? I'm not exposed to the problem personally, but it seems to me this has gone far enough and urgent measures need to be taken. :eek:

The people of Wick don't have to put up with this, it gets me so angry to see so few making the lives of so many miserable! [evil]

wings
17-Jan-05, 20:19
I completely agree that Wick should have cctv installed.
U know this town has turned into a complete dump. No-one wants to live here. I work in Thurso and all they talk about is the trouble through here. The cctv will help issues around the street. How can it be possible that Thurso can think of upgrading if we don't even have it!!!!!!!...
When is the last time money was spent on something for the community in wick?? Where does our money go??? No joke where does it go..??.. Last thing i rememeber is the swimming pool!! Are the councillors lining there own pockets or what cos us Wikkers see none of it!! I cant possibly tell you how much i am completely fed up with Wick. You dont feel safe,, you worry at the weekends if your car will get vandalised. I go away for a weekend and worry if my house will be broken into!! There is no sense of security left in this town for the majority of us!
You have written here folks... "We should diiscuss with the police, check out this public act whatever it is"... beleive u me if you lived in Wick you will find this would make no dam difference what so ever. If the police can't control these people(WHICH THEY ARE PAYED AND TRAINED TO DO), and are SCARED of them aswell... then we wont have any luck beleive u me! It seems the police just turn a blind eye....
The police then get at us in the papers for not coming forward with more info.!! Yes theres such and incentive for us.. these people go to court and get a 50 quid fine!!... then go after the witness's!! yes we're really going to come forward...Not!!

Im saving to buy a new house and let me tell you it wont be in Wick. The sooner i get out of here and feel safe again the better!

The Godfather
17-Jan-05, 20:44
I dont think (but might be wrong) that this is really the polis' fault. I think the whole system (including the police) is wrong. From everything from the social work and schools is all rigged up to help these people and it is doing the opposite. And the problem is not just in Wick. Mabey not in Thurso but certainly in towns all over the country.

I think putting them on Stroma or the Pentland Skerries is not such a bad idea or unfeasible. If they built a jail for around 100 inmates or converted the lighthouse or something. It would cost a bit but it would be a huge deterrant if they got a couple of months out in the middle of the North Sea.

Raonaid
17-Jan-05, 21:24
As a teacher, and a former teacher in Wick HS within the last 5 years I can suggest further reasons for their behaviour.

Just watch ANY teen soap, teen school prog or any aussie soap and you'll see where it comes from.
In ALL these progs the kids are ALWAYS seen to be right in the end, and adults (esp teachers) as intolerant and wrong. This gives all kids the idea they can do what they want with no fear of any significant recrimination!

As I was often told by children from a certain Wick clan "ye canne tell me whit ti dee!!" And they know they're right. [mad]

My ultimate sanction in Wick High??? Send a note to their guidance teacher. Ultimate sanction, 3-5 days at home, some punishment. :~(

It's the same down here in Dumfries-shire. Kids have no fear of what a teacher/school can do in terms of punishment and grow up as thugs! Until SOMETHING is done to redress the balance we're going to have no-go ghettos in most of rural Scotland!

When I was at school (in the early 80s in Thurso btw) we actually had some respect, even the worst of the "bad boys" had a line they wouldna cross. Recently I've had a pupil swear at me about twice a week on average, and despite reporting these incidents he is still in school as "we have a legal obligation................"

I'd appreciate any suggestions as to what we can do to turn back the clock, but I'm afraid we're gonna be stuck with anti-social hooligans, with no fear of recrimination/police action for the forseeable future!

Soryy to be such a misery, but when you see each new intake worse than before.....................
Perhaps the answer is to have cctv cameras in the classrooms. It would have prevented the trainee teacher of a friend of mine having his briefcase used as a toilet by one of his pupils, or the teacher whose cup of tea was spat into. It could be combined with the filming of those wonderful adverts to encourage people to join the teaching profession. It would solve the problem of parents who never believe that their son/ daughter does anything wrong. If I had done only one of the things that have happened to me over the last ten years in the job I would have been put in prison. A typical example of pupil behaviour is a child intentionally blocking my way down a stair, when I asked him politely to move he jumped down the four stairs lay on the ground screaming that I had pushed him down the stair and he was going to get me done. Here’s to Big Brother it won’t bother me one bit.

gravedigga
17-Jan-05, 21:52
I completely agree that Wick should have cctv installed.
U know this town has turned into a complete dump. No-one wants to live here. I work in Thurso and all they talk about is the trouble through here. The cctv will help issues around the street. How can it be possible that Thurso can think of upgrading if we don't even have it!!!!!!!...
When is the last time money was spent on something for the community in wick?? Where does our money go??? No joke where does it go..??.. Last thing i rememeber is the swimming pool!! Are the councillors lining there own pockets or what cos us Wikkers see none of it!! I cant possibly tell you how much i am completely fed up with Wick. You dont feel safe,, you worry at the weekends if your car will get vandalised. I go away for a weekend and worry if my house will be broken into!! There is no sense of security left in this town for the majority of us!
You have written here folks... "We should diiscuss with the police, check out this public act whatever it is"... beleive u me if you lived in Wick you will find this would make no dam difference what so ever. If the police can't control these people(WHICH THEY ARE PAYED AND TRAINED TO DO), and are SCARED of them aswell... then we wont have any luck beleive u me! It seems the police just turn a blind eye....
The police then get at us in the papers for not coming forward with more info.!! Yes theres such and incentive for us.. these people go to court and get a 50 quid fine!!... then go after the witness's!! yes we're really going to come forward...Not!!

Im saving to buy a new house and let me tell you it wont be in Wick. The sooner i get out of here and feel safe again the better!

All the points wings made i completely agree with. Especially about there being no sense of security left in the town, cctv may not stop the goings on but it would certainly deter the troublemakers - look how it's worked in Thurso, it's not often you in the paper about fight outside pubs and the likes or when you do least there's the tapes to back it up.

I also think the police are scared of these people, they see the damage they do the whole time so it's little wonder and with it being such a small place up here it wouldn't be hard for their addresses to be found out.

Something needs to be done! We're talking about it now so at least it's a start, but how do WE go about it? where do WE start? This is going to take more than one person kicking up a fuss to get noticed and get something done. Any ideas??

wings
17-Jan-05, 22:05
We couldnt do a petition because again it would not be private..
I gaurntee about 80% of this town feel effected by this issue.. Just what can we pull togethor and do?
I seriously cannot think of a single thing.. other than what suits me fine,, getting out of here Wick altogethor!

The Pepsi Challenge
18-Jan-05, 11:54
It's a shocking state of affairs. And, unfortunately, it looks as if people power will have to be the way forward. (In an slightly dramatic example, look at the Romanian government elections: they got change by resorting to people power.) Get motivated and arrange for a group to lecture the Wick head of Police. You don't deserve to have your lives tormented like this. Talking about it on the messageboard will only do so much. Good luck.

squidge
18-Jan-05, 13:21
Survival of the fittest doesnt apply to the 'breed' that gets:

- Free Council House
- Bru Money
- Legal Aid
- Free Council Tax
- Free Stuff from other folks houses
- Freedom to deal and take as much drugs/drink as they like
- Freedom from any kind of Police harassment

etc etc.

I agree that something has to be done but be careful how you label people

out of the above list i get
Legal aid
Council tax benefit
and i am free from police harrssment

In addition i have had income support - Bru money

make sure what you are saying is sensible if youa re taking this forward and not based on preconceived ideas which are grounded in prejudice and ignorance.

Those of you that know me will have been waiting for that i am sure - dont roll your eyes now boys and girls :D

Zael
18-Jan-05, 13:28
Actually squidge, I was labelling them the "BREED"(as thats how many people knwo them), who happen to get the things on the list which they dont deserve. Not the other way round, I'll try to be more obvious next time.

squidge
18-Jan-05, 13:31
Zael

you know i couldnt miss an opportunity like that though zael ;)

bacardibabe
18-Jan-05, 19:59
THE BREED yeah thats how we recognise and realise who we are talking about.a get together meeting is what we need,how do we get it started without the BREED turning up at it as they constantly do at ppp meetings in pulteney??????

skydivvy
18-Jan-05, 21:23
you have to get smarter than them and start using the methods at your disposal like anti-social orders and the police.

you obviously don't know these people. The police are scared of them!

skydivvy
18-Jan-05, 21:27
Wrong again! St Kilda is beautiful as well, argueably more so. I have a copy of that famous James Smith's photograph above my fireplace. I wouldn't like to think it could be a haven for the dregs of Wick society.

Though your suggestion is in the right ball park, I suggest putting these scum bags 50 miles further west of St Kilda as a more environmentally friendly option. :evil :evil

St kilda may be beautiful, but it is so far away, there would be no chance of them swimming back! I don't suppose sending them into outer space would be an option?
I mean, think on how we populated Australia.

skydivvy
18-Jan-05, 21:33

When I was at school we still had the belt. Maybe it didn't do any good in the long run, but in the short term, it earned the teacher respect and gave them some control, so neccessary I believe - and there's no one alive today that will say it did them any harm! Neither did a hot backside from a parent!
You are so right - the pendulum has swung too far! [mad] !

skydivvy
18-Jan-05, 21:38
[- howz about if the Wick police / councillors / local people / MP's / whoever were able to make enough fuss so as to to try and get police reinforcements until this scourge is quenched. Lobby your MP's and councillors, write to the police commissioner in Glasgow or wherever, highlight how bad this problem is and it might be possible to get extra help to deal with it. Maybe the council can evict them, maybe some of these new laws about problem neighbours can be used against them? I'm not exposed to the problem personally, but it seems to me this has gone far enough and urgent measures need to be taken. :eek:

The people of Wick don't have to put up with this, it gets me so angry to see so few making the lives of so many miserable! [evil][/quote]

A certain coucilor started an anti -drugs campaign. It seemed to be going well with lots of support from local parents, even talkes fro MAD (mother's against drugs) in Alness, another place where the locals had to get rid of the drug dealers themselves. Then the person didn't get re-elected, and we've heard no more about it.

skydivvy
18-Jan-05, 21:44
[quote="wings"]IWhen is the last time money was spent on something for the community in wick??
The puoltney people's project are doing a good job.

Where does our money go??? No joke where does it go..??.. Last thing i rememeber is the swimming pool!!

I remeber how the people of wick raised money three times for a pool. The first time it was spent on a new roadsweeper, the second time it was spent on a running track for thurso, the third time we finally got it!

Are the councillors lining there own pockets or what cos us Wikkers see none of it!!

I've been wondering that for years.

Don't leave the sinking ship - lets stand up and be counted! Week has always worked weel until now.

Zael
18-Jan-05, 22:35
bacardibabe,

easy, have a private meeting thats invitation only, invite those you know and those you can contact via these boards. Ask the folk on these boards to either phone you or give you a number that you can reach them on to confirm they are not of breed descent :)

skydivvy
19-Jan-05, 14:35
Ok. Count me in. So whose going to get the ball rolling?

Fran
19-Jan-05, 15:18
:~( I feel so sorry for anyone with "neighbours from hell". I wonder if it is the ones our street suffered with till 4 years ago. It was something i had never experienced in my life before and hope I never will. Try the cvouncil. They have new laws etc where neighbours from hell can be evicted. We found the council helpful. [mad] good luck.

gravedigga
19-Jan-05, 16:22

Me too, i want to do something. But to be honest i don't want to be the one putting my neck on the line and having to face the repercussions we may get from this family if they find out what we are doing. I have a house and family and i don't want either to get damaged and i'm sure many others will share my views.

I'm willing to be part of this but i think we need a leader - any suggestions?? an MP, councillor, policeperson??

The other thing is how do we drum up enough support without naming names, obviously the people on here know who we are referring too but if we were to start a campaign or whatever we do it's not like we can call it 'get rid of the _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (their surname) do you know what i mean?

Blabber Mooth
19-Jan-05, 21:40
I think everyone wants to do something about the "Breed"... There are so many of them though... and not with the same surname!!.. All of who want to inflict pain and suffering on inocent folk!!! and.... or their homes and families!.All they want is their drugs or drink.. and do not care who they hurt in the process to get these things!! I still say round them up and find an island of no return, where the BREED!!!! will have no benefits ETC!!!! Maybe then they will be like the DINOSAURS........ and be extinct eventually!!!!..... Sooner rather than later eh? ....Defeat the war on inocent folks in Wick by the Bullskuds of the town!!!!

skydivvy
20-Jan-05, 11:22

you said;
The other thing is how do we drum up enough support without naming names, obviously the people on here know who we are referring too but if we were to start a campaign or whatever we do it's not like we can call it 'get rid of the _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (their surname) do you know what i mean?

I say; They'd have to find out by word of mouth. they don't have a high enough I.Q. to operate a computer let alone go online! I'm not afraid for myself, personally I'd take them on anyday, but i have teenagers who go out on a friday/sat night and don't want them targeted.

dpw39
20-Jan-05, 12:28
As previously stated when Thurso got their own CCTV some time ago, its always a sad reflection in life when rural areas like Caithness feel that they NEED CCTV to control anti-social elements in their community.

Instead of this NIMBY/vigilante approach, this thread seems to be wandering along, why not get your local councillors (eg. Bill Fernie/Katrina McNab et al) to become more involved in this issue, rather than “slagging-off” the BREED. They and your local community council can pressure the Police to implement a more forceful approach of policing of the area of where the offenders live and frequent etc.

My personal opinion is that criminals should not have any rights what-so-ever. Habitual criminals seem to have more rights than the average person in the community, which is totally out of order, but then, the legal system leans more to the criminal rather than the victim these days, which I totally disagree with.

Fighting fire with fire, invariably has its pitfalls and it is better to follow general guidelines by implementing a “neighbourhood watch scheme” in the area. Excluding the said offenders from local meetings etc, creates a “them and us” syndrome and always ends in tears and invariably creates bigger problems than the community has now.

ZERO TOLLERANCE is the answer, but where do you draw the line?

Down south in certain area’s, groups of like-minded individuals patrol their streets to deter criminal activity in their communities with relative success. And it is a SAD reflection that law-breakers can and do abuse the legal system, and do it on Legal Aid as well.

The law is not an ass, it is the people who implement it…

In the USA – 3 strikes and you are out, seems a pretty reasonable system in any community and is worth a thought.

Legal representatives of these criminal elements are as much at fault as the criminals themselves. Briefing them to say all the right words when in front of the bench, and being financially motivated rather than seeing justice done in the community.

Chasing the offenders away to other areas is pointless and time consuming. STOP the ROT here, and other areas of the country can utilise the same procedures to control anti-social behaviour of this nature.

As far as IQ levels go, come on get real, if they can fill out an Income Support form then they can access a PC in their local library.

Ciao,

Dave the Rave :cool:

skydivvy
20-Jan-05, 13:46
[quote="dpw39"]As previously stated when Thurso got their own CCTV some time ago, its always a sad reflection in life when rural areas like Caithness feel that they NEED CCTV to control anti-social elements in their community.

Quote Instead of this NIMBY/vigilante approach, this thread seems to be wandering along, why not get your local councillors (eg. Bill Fernie/Katrina McNab et al) to become more involved in this issue, rather than “slagging-off” the BREED. They and your local community council can pressure the Police to implement a more forceful approach of policing of the area of where the offenders live and frequent etc.

I do agree with everything you say, and I take back what I said about IQ. They have a high enough IQ to keep their faces covered by hoods, leave no fingerprints, have their children (who are too young to be charged) threaten the children of police officers at school. They are like a cancer, growing ever stronger. If the police do get one, ten more will take the place .....They haven't bothered me personally, but what's happening in the town angers me!!! [mad]

philupmaboug
27-Jan-05, 22:26
Would it be possible to lobby our local councilors to use the money from the proposed sale of the Harmsworth park to pay for CCTV in the town? This would be of good use to all of the comunity and we would see where the money was going....for a change.
That is if the sale goes ahead or is it just another rumour?

lassieinfife
08-Jun-05, 18:47
The place to start is the council ...... if enough folk complain they are duty bound to deal with the matter.......we had one of the worst famlies from hell here in fife mother and father known drug dealers sons and daughters into all sorts of crime including running a lassie down ........ she lost a leg, but because the people in glenrothes were not prepared to put up with them the council had to evict them ... the family split up and becaude there were not enough of them in one area they had to learn to toe the line ........... they were that bad they appeared on kilroy bragging about their exploits