PDA

View Full Version : Major Virus Alert !

paris
19-Nov-06, 16:24
If anyone gets an email with the words "INVERTATION" on it DO NOT OPEN. even if it comes from an email address you know. This is a major virus and PCs canot be fixed if you get it . Jan x

Ricco
19-Nov-06, 16:49
I've started getting masses of spam from some of those American automailers - all about stocks. Have been blocking and deleting them right away but wish I could actually stop them.:confused

Tom Cornwall
19-Nov-06, 16:56
i think you may be passing on a hoax...
have a look here
http://www.hoax-slayer.com/olympic-torch-virus-hoax.html

htwood
19-Nov-06, 17:02
Yep a hoax. check out www.snopes.com and type in Invitation or "Bin Laden hanging". I've been getting these spam "warnings" for days.

Kingetter
19-Nov-06, 17:07
Paris's message was very well meant, we know, but how about an 'agreement' that any future such warnings are sent to 'Admin'/'Mods' first for verification, and then if it is genuine, the Org can post info about whatever it is?

_Ju_
19-Nov-06, 19:08
Paris's message was very well meant, we know, but how about an 'agreement' that any future such warnings are sent to 'Admin'/'Mods' first for verification, and then if it is genuine, the Org can post info about whatever it is?

Honestly, does it matter???? Afterall, do you have everything posted on here verified before posting?

MadPict
19-Nov-06, 19:33
If people just checked before they posted about the latest virus it might save a little bit of embarrassment when they get told it is an old hoax that has been doing the rounds for months. Just going to one of the major anti-virus software companies sites will more than likely show them they are going to post about a hoax.

And the whole point of these hoaxes is to bog down emails and websites with reports of bogus threats and to frighten and mislead users.

badger
19-Nov-06, 19:37
Honestly, does it matter???? Afterall, do you have everything posted on here verified before posting?
No but these warnings can cause unnecessary alarm and for those who haven't seen earlier spoof warnings could be quite worrying. There's enough scary stuff out there for computer users as it is.

Colin Manson
19-Nov-06, 19:46
A rule was suggested for this a while ago but I haven't updated the rules section yet.

Hoax Emails (virus warning scams etc)

The Internet is proliferated with many Hoax messages; this type of Spam can be very detrimental, convincing people to do bad things believing that they are doing good.

Please do not post ANY warnings unless you have checked that they aren't based upon a scam. If you are unsure about message then do not post it.

Anyone that posts a Hoax/Spam message will initially receive a Warning; further posts will result in Infraction points being issued.

I was also planning to add these

Quoting

The quote reply function allows you to quote a previous post to allow you to address what was said in an earlier post. You do not need to quote a post which you are replying to, use the Reply button for that.

If you wish to highlight a specific part of the previous post then you may quote the specific section for added clarity.

Quoting instead of replying increases the length of the thread for no good reason, it also takes up more space in the database and slows down the system.

Moderators (added on to the end of the Moderation Arguments section)

Moderators apply the forum rules via the systems in place, they are, in every other sense the same as regular forum members. They are expected to continue posting in the same fashion as they did before they became Moderators. They are not above the rules, any breach of the rules will result in a Warning or Infraction points.

luskentyre
19-Nov-06, 21:05

Personally, I think it does matter. Hoax emails are a big problem, creating mistrust in the email system, clogging up mail servers and potentially leading recipients to take wrong actions. It also makes people apathetic about the subject matter so when a real virus warning appears, noone cares.

I'm sure the original poster had nothing but good intentions in posting it - but it's worthwhile just doing a quick check.

The_man_from_del_monte
20-Nov-06, 01:11
If anyone gets an email with the words "INVERTATION" on it DO NOT OPEN.

I don't communicate with people who can't spell so no likeliehood of me opening an e-mail with the subject "invertation" ;)

MadPict
20-Nov-06, 01:15
It's "likelihood".........

The_man_from_del_monte
20-Nov-06, 14:34
It's "likelihood".........

erm, I know,....... hence the "wink" ;)

paris
20-Nov-06, 17:44
If people just checked before they posted about the latest virus it might save a little bit of embarrassment when they get told it is an old hoax that has been doing the rounds for months. Just going to one of the major anti-virus software companies sites will more than likely show them they are going to post about a hoax.

And the whole point of these hoaxes is to bog down emails and websites with reports of bogus threats and to frighten and mislead users.
MadPict..... Why on earth would i be embarrassed when told it was a hoax? I dont give a dam , its your PC that would go down for not checking ,not mine !:roll: jan x

MadPict
20-Nov-06, 19:43
I wasn't implying that you would be embarrassed - just generalising.

And I use a Mac - so viruses are not a problem....http://app100828.applicabroadband.net/images/mac.jpg

Colin Manson
20-Nov-06, 20:23
MadPict..... Why on earth would i be embarrassed when told it was a hoax? I dont give a dam , its your PC that would go down for not checking ,not mine !:roll: jan x

You'd not be a popular person if the hoax suggested deleting a windows file that your system needed. There have been a few of those over the years and they are follow by a rash of "I'm posting from a friends house, I removed a virus file from my PC and now the operating system wont load..please help!"