PDA

View Full Version : Extradition hypocrisy, now there's a surprise.

RecQuery
08-May-12, 08:58
As the crime of which Sarah Ferguson stands accused is not a crime in the UK, she cannot be extradited to Turkey, it is understood (http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/05/05/duchess-of-york-asked-to-attend-court-turkey_n_1483306.html?)

I wonder how this case compares with that of a certain Richard O'Dwyer or Julian Assange. Whose 'crimes' weren't considered as such in the UK.

Phill
08-May-12, 09:32
It's not the US. Simples!

RecQuery
08-May-12, 09:43
It's not the US. Simples!

Kind of ignores the point, but anyway are you saying that US is some how safer than Turkey because at this point I'd be more scared of going to the US than to Turkey.

Phill
08-May-12, 10:12
The point being the UK-US treaty is skewed in favour of the US as already discussed. I'm not saying one is safer than the other as that is subjective, personally I'd take the US, especially if I were female.

I quite agree the hypocrisy of the extradition treaties is quite perverse.

The overriding point though, don't commit the crime if you ain't prepared to do the time!
(in this case I bet she thought she would be immune from any prosecution as she slept with a 'Royal' a couple of times)

davem
08-May-12, 10:34
They wouldn't extradite Abu Quatada or however you spell it because he may be convicted on evidence obtained by torture. Yet we extradite to a country that admitted it waterboarded someone 183 times. Now that really is hypocrisy

catran
12-May-12, 14:38
What she done? I seem to have missed something exciting.

linnie612
12-May-12, 15:37
click on the link in blue on #1

brandy
12-May-12, 18:20
so she is facing over 20 years in prison for secretly filming at two orphanages to expose the mis treatment of children? umm no dont think i would go and stand trial willingly either!

RecQuery
14-May-12, 07:39
so she is facing over 20 years in prison for secretly filming at two orphanages to expose the mis treatment of children? umm no dont think i would go and stand trial willingly either!

I wish the people extradited for crimes in the US that aren't considered crimes in the UK had that option, I don't agree she should have to stand trial either. I was just pointing out the hypocrisy.

Rheghead
14-May-12, 21:36
As the crime of which Sarah Ferguson stands accused is not a crime in the UK, she cannot be extradited to Turkey, it is understood (http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/05/05/duchess-of-york-asked-to-attend-court-turkey_n_1483306.html?)

I wonder how this case compares with that of a certain Richard O'Dwyer or Julian Assange. Whose 'crimes' weren't considered as such in the UK.

Re. Assange, where is the hypocrisy? He is wanted in Sweden regarding charges of sexual assault. I'm pretty sure sexual assault is still a crime over here.

RecQuery
15-May-12, 08:10
Re. Assange, where is the hypocrisy? He is wanted in Sweden regarding charges of sexual assault. I'm pretty sure sexual assault is still a crime over here.

Except, sexual assault in Sweden = not using a condom. The women would have to be particularly myopic not to notice whether he was wearing one or not also. The entire thing was a honeytrap, the two women both bragged about the party and sexual activities in blogs and twitter feeds. They've deleted those entries now but they're still cached in several locations.

Not using a condom isn't a sexual crime in the UK.

Assange is being prosecuted for having sex without a condom, with people who didn’t mind the lack of condom at the time, but who subsequently was cross about the fact that he didn’t use a condom.