PDA

View Full Version : Do you believe in fate?

crayola
19-Nov-06, 03:20
Do we have free will or is it all pretermined?

Metalattakk
19-Nov-06, 03:47
Nope, I don't believe in fate. But more importantly, does fate believe in me? [lol]

golach
19-Nov-06, 10:49
Funnily enough, Fate is one of the things I do believe in, but I do not believe in Santa [lol]

cuddlepop
19-Nov-06, 11:08
Yes I do:D

katarina
19-Nov-06, 11:16
You don't believe in santa!!!! how could you!!!!! I'll have you know I met he is alive and well and living in Broadhaven road!

gleeber
19-Nov-06, 12:04
Funnily enough, Fate is one of the things I do believe in, but I do not believe in Santa [lol]
If fate was a universal force, then, surely those who believed in it would also have to believe in a supernatural power? If events are predetermined who or what predetermines them? :confused
Fate is nothing more than meaningful coincidences.

golach
19-Nov-06, 12:21
If fate was a universal force, then, surely those who believed in it would also have to believe in a supernatural power? If events are predetermined who or what predetermines them? :confused
Fate is nothing more than meaningful coincidences.
well my super sceptic pal, I have had many "meaningful coincidences" in this owld life of mine. and "IF" is a very big word :lol:

gleeber
19-Nov-06, 12:30
I believe we have free will but most of us dont know it. Some people are afraid to go out in the morning incase some mishap is waiting for them outside the door. Others fall in love because fate has brought them together, 6 months later fate is out the window and hate comes in the door.
It's absolute nonsense. Give free will a chance.;)

porshiepoo
19-Nov-06, 12:35
I believe in both.
Our fate is predetermined before we get here - by ourselves - but the way in which we get there is left up to us and the choices we make during our time here.

Gleeber I guess I most certainly believe in the supernatural - if this is defined by ideas that are beyond the realms of current scientific understanding.

cuddlepop
19-Nov-06, 12:36
So what your saying that its just a coincidence that Wish logged onto Caithness thinking thats where they were moving to and in the end they end up on Skye.As far as I know I'm the onlyone on Skye that gives this location so it was just lucky that she could pm me for help:confused
I dont think so.Too many things have happened,I was meant to meet Wish.:D

gleeber
19-Nov-06, 12:56
I believe in both.
Our fate is predetermined before we get here - by ourselves
What? :confused
Cuddlepop.....You wish! :eek:

Wish
19-Nov-06, 12:57
So what your saying that its just a coincidence that Wish logged onto Caithness thinking thats where they were moving to and in the end they end up on Skye.As far as I know I'm the onlyone on Skye that gives this location so it was just lucky that she could pm me for help
I dont think so.Too many things have happened,I was meant to meet Wish.

:DI think that too Jackiex

I do believe in fate, I believe our life paths are already mapped out for us, even before we are a twinkle, but I also believe that we have to be brave and bold enough to take the routes offered to us.

Rheghead
19-Nov-06, 13:05
This is what I understand about the Universe so far (the Good Doctor will probably put me right if I'm wrong), the Universe is expanding at an accelerating rate ever since the Big Bang. So the concentration of matter throughout is getting less and less. Astronomers tell us that the Universe will continue to expand forever and solid matter like atoms will disappear into 'darkness' of elementary particles. But there is still Gravity, and it will, I believe, overcome all and the universe will crush down into itself to a infinite/ordered point until time and distance exist no more. Pardon the pun, but that will be the point where the Big Bang could once more occur as it was at the first Big Bang with all the events happening again. But in reality, it won't have happened again because time has only just started!:eek:

So in answer to the question, yes, I do believe in freewill and not fate but I also believe in fate at the expense of freewill in the same way that light can exist as a particle and a wave at the same time, a kind of freewill/fate duality if you like.[lol] I'll put 'don't care'...

Billy Boy
19-Nov-06, 13:06
I believe that all things happen for a reason, some say that you make your own fate, but what makes you chose the way you do?
If you have the choice of two routes what makes you chose the one you do free choice? or its it fate making you chose that way?:confused

dragonfly
19-Nov-06, 16:43
100% yes..............whats before you won't go past you!

Ricco
19-Nov-06, 16:46
I believe in fate, or destiny; there are too many coincidental pointers that show that it exists. I, like Golach, also don't believe in Santa.. but I do believe in fairies. ;)

golach
19-Nov-06, 17:09
I, like Golach, also don't believe in Santa.. but I do believe in fairies. ;)
I have met a few fairies, on my travels, not all of them good [disgust]

Kingetter
19-Nov-06, 17:17
I believe in fate, or destiny; there are too many coincidental pointers that show that it exists. I, like Golach, also don't believe in Santa.. but I do believe in fairies. ;)

Them at the bottom of the garden?:D

canuck
19-Nov-06, 19:15
So in answer to the question, yes, I do believe in freewill and not fate but I also believe in fate at the expense of freewill in the same way that light can exist as a particle and a wave at the same time, a kind of freewill/fate duality if you like...

Thanks Rheghead. I was searching for the right words and you just came up with them "poof". It must be this second X gene of mine which makes the duality stuff hard to verbalize.

bobsgirl
19-Nov-06, 23:05
You don't believe in santa!!!! how could you!!!!! I'll have you know I met he is alive and well and living in Broadhaven road!

Looks like it is true katarina, santa is dead! :( No point believing anymore!

http://metamedia.stanford.edu/imagebin/Santa's%20Dead.jpg

squidge
20-Nov-06, 11:33
I do beleive in fate. I think that some things are meant to happen but i also beleive we are given free will to choose the route that we are offered.

Rheghead
20-Nov-06, 12:53
I do beleive in fate. I think that some things are meant to happen but i also beleive we are given free will to choose the route that we are offered.

So let me get this right, you believe that there are 'pockets' of fate that pervade throughout the construct of reality as well as that of freewill? To my mind, freewill has only any real meaning if there is any concept of the alternative route of time if another decision/event had took place apart from the original act of freewill. But there isn't. It may be that freewill is fate anyway.

squidge
20-Nov-06, 12:59
[lol] I didnt say it makes sense Rheghead

I didnt say it was logical:D

I just think that whats for you wont go past you and thats it.

sweetpea
20-Nov-06, 15:01
I've just put my vote. I don't believe in fate. I do think the road is mapped out for us but it's up to us what route we take. I think 2 people can arrive at the same destination in life but the journey or scenery is different. I think we are constantly presented with choices all the time, with the outcome depending on which we take.

Bobbyian
20-Nov-06, 20:29
Ive been thinking about this if fate or freewill makes you walk int o the road in front of an oncoming car so that you get hurt is it the free will of the driver to hit you or `fate' or are some persons destined to do certain things so that others can decide?

Kenn
20-Nov-06, 23:29
There is a quote made famous in the film Lawrence of Arabia from the above book.
"For some men nothing is written."
My fate will be determined by the choices I make and although those choices may have been influenced by others at the end of the day my decision is mine alone.

midi2304
21-Nov-06, 16:52
How depressing is it to think that our entire lives are pre-ordained?

I don't believe in fate for one second. I feel really sorry for people that believe in fate tbh. How horrible to live your life feeling it was all on rails...

canuck
21-Nov-06, 17:56
Fate versus choice. Yes, Rheghead summed it up for me, but his recent news has led me to some new thoughts on this topic.

My parents did not have choice in my genetic structure (although my mother worked hard to get a curly hair gene included) so fate must have played a major part in establishing who I am. I have made choices all along the way with what I was given. I like to think that I chose the date of my birth. Given a second chance, I would choose the same date again.

Fate made me a woman. I could choose to abuse that or use it to enjoy life and bring wholeness to the male-femaleness of creation. Fate gave me challenged musical ability so I chose not to play the guitar. It all works together this fate and choice stuff.

scorrie
21-Nov-06, 20:47
Thanks Rheghead. I was searching for the right words and you just came up with them "poof".

Now, now Canuck. That's fighting talk in these parts ;o)

Rheghead
21-Nov-06, 23:52
How depressing is it to think that our entire lives are pre-ordained?

I don't believe in fate for one second. I feel really sorry for people that believe in fate tbh. How horrible to live your life feeling it was all on rails...

Well if we live out our lives again and again (according to the recurring universe model)then 'What we do in life, echoes in eternity' (from the film Gladiator)so you better do what is nice now because that is how you will live on the next incarnation. But how you live last time, has made how you live today. Weird eh?

Lolabelle
22-Nov-06, 00:34
I believe in free will. Some might say " But you're supposed to be a christain," and I am supposed to be... But, God says he gives us free will. So while I think time and chance happen to all, we have the choice to decide what to do and how to do it. I happen to ask God to help in my decision making, but I don't have to. :D

Moira
22-Nov-06, 00:42
Yes I believe in fate. I also believe in free will, but it's the twists & turns of fate which sometimes takes me back to the place I was trying to avoid.

I also believe in Santa (because I was always told if you didn't, then there would be no parcel under the tree for you) ;)

Kenn
22-Nov-06, 02:06
To canuck..fate did not make you a woman, nature did.
To lolabelle. isn't that a contradiction in terms? If you are a christian you follow the teachings of that religion and the only free will is that you choose to do so.

Lolabelle
22-Nov-06, 02:31
To canuck..fate did not make you a woman, nature did.
To lolabelle. isn't that a contradiction in terms? If you are a christian you follow the teachings of that religion and the only free will is that you choose to do so.

Huh??? Sorry, I am a bit foggy this morning. I believe that God gives us free will in everything. We make our own decisions in everything. Those decisions may be wise or not and effect lives accordingly. But I choose to pray about my decisions and have the Lord show me the best choice for me. It is my choice to pray about things and if I choose not to, then I am subject to the consequences of my decision or choice. Does that make sense????
If not, maybe I would be better to quit while I am ahead, cause I am very slow thinking today. Just got back from a overnight visit to Melbourne (12 hr drive away).

danc1ngwitch
22-Nov-06, 14:31
maybe we all have a path in life ? I have ta be careful with this as it will anger some and make some fall to the floor in a fit of laughter... Just maybe we have like small choices u know u get outta bed in the morning and u can go one way or another and each path leads to another and then we repeat it all again maybe taken different paths... how many of you has sat down and said " if only i had done this or went there or dodged that " I think we all have a purpose we are all a small very small part.. or playing a small very small part in the big picture... know this there must be more than this... but wot is our REAL PURPOSE ???

danc1ngwitch
22-Nov-06, 14:33
i should add my purpose is to be a walking population explosion lol.. ( jokin )[lol] thought i would add that to stop some from asking ( and wots ur purpose )

Rheghead
22-Nov-06, 15:27
but wot is our REAL PURPOSE ???

The answer is that there is isn't any, similarly, there isn't any purpose in asking the question.

Whitewater
22-Nov-06, 21:33
I'm not too sure what I believe in. Fate? Choices? perhaps I believe in both. I have always felt that life has directed rather than pushed me in certain directions. Maybe there is something in the subconscious mind that influences the choices we make. I have found life to be rather strange at times, things turning out and happening, nothing like I had planned or imagined, but in most cases turning out very well although it did not seem like that at the time.

There are many strange and unexplanable forces at work which, at times influence our lives and thoughts. From my own experience, in some parts of my life I do beleive in fate. When I was about 18yrs of age, completely out of the blue, a ridiculous thought came into my mind about a particular person whom I hardly knew. I never gave it another thought, finished my apprenticeship, went on my travels round the world, working here and there, returned when I was about 27 and well my ridiculous thought became reality.

Fate ??? I don't know, but it was rather sinister.

crayola
26-Nov-06, 03:01
Crikey, I didn't think it'd be 60% fate, 30% no fate. :eek:

Do I believe in fate? No, course not. I believe in our ability to create our own destiny by our own thoughts and our own deeds.

I gotta go think about this. I thought I was supposed to be the square peg around here.

Abdullah
26-Nov-06, 03:03
Crikey, I didn't think it'd be 60% fate, 30% no fate. :eek:

Do I believe in fate? No, course not. I believe in our ability to create our own destiny by our own thoughts and our own deeds.

I gotta go think about this. I thought I was supposed to be the square peg around here.
How do you know that what you think is creating your own destiny is not really just fate?
In other words how do you know you are in control?

Samuri
26-Nov-06, 22:40
Theres a time for everything, in other words your always in the right place at the right time doing the right thing if you werent you wouldnt be doing it! :Razz And yes you are in control its the rest of the world thats not! Although others do try to control you and impose their ways and thoughts upon you its up to you if you let them! And you create your own reality by the choices you make and the way you think act and behave! Not quite sure about all of of this but I daresay someone will correct me if Im not wrong! :Razz

A_Usher
27-Nov-06, 16:23
For those interested in free will and determinism, there are some interesting articles in this months New Scientist.

crayola
30-Nov-06, 01:57
How do you know that what you think is creating your own destiny is not really just fate?
In other words how do you know you are in control?In a word, chaos.

Emms
24-Dec-06, 03:02
well I wouldn't just stand in the middle of Princes Street and say 'If I get knocked down it's fate' but, by the same token, I do believe that some things just happen because they were pre-determined by a greater force than I. That doesn't mean that I am willing to give up all control over my life because I won't ---------- but some things are just meant to be (in my opinion anyway). What's for you won't go by you!.

compo
24-Dec-06, 08:45
i feel that its all a matter of choices good and bad. some people are just good at choose courses of action while others just cant get it right for the life of them. is it fate that makes a person rob annother person or is it the decsion of the rober to rob that person or was it the victims wrong decsision to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. just my some what humble opinion

EDDIE
24-Dec-06, 12:31
Im a great believer in fate
Its like the old sayings when u bump your car it comes in threes it true enough or dont tempt fate and sure enough happens or when the say you got out the wrong side of bed the whole blasted day is a bad day thats true as well or like what u do to others comes back double on you?or when sods law comes in and we all know about that.The saying i hate most is when u get the unexpected brief shiver its when someones walked over your grave i find that spooky
Its amazing when you hear of all the old sayings how true a lot of them are i believe it fate and we are just passing through this world briefly and thats all my saying on the subject because i can go on and on with this topic

Through
24-Dec-06, 18:59
Some events are not chosen by us, such as where we are born and who our parents are. We make choices based on our selves and the circumstances we find ourselves in, but other peoples choices cause events that sometimes impact on our lives. These events happen continuously. Co-incidences also happen and as someone once said, the really amazing thing about co-incidences, is that they happen so often. Try explaining to your wife how you crashed and blew up her car and watch as she opens the curtains at the precise moment the burned out wreck is going past on a flat bed truck. Yes, that happened to me and I thought perhaps I was Victor Meldrew for a second.

If fate or destiny is the meeting of events that force particular choices, then, yes; I believe in fate. Other than that? Not at all.

danc1ngwitch
24-Dec-06, 19:07
Oh nooo !!! you forgive the ones you love and the car is Material, Oh nooo you do need this material thing tho... I am trying to imagine what she felt like... At Least you were ok as material stuffs can be replaced but a life cannot.. xxx

young
24-Dec-06, 19:13
not sure about fate or not. but i do believe that history does repeat itself as i believe it has in my family!!

oldmarine
24-Dec-06, 19:25

We have a free will.

young
24-Dec-06, 19:28
Some events are not chosen by us, such as where we are born and who our parents are. We make choices based on our selves and the circumstances we find ourselves in, but other peoples choices cause events that sometimes impact on our lives. These events happen continuously. Co-incidences also happen and as someone once said, the really amazing thing about co-incidences, is that they happen so often. Try explaining to your wife how you crashed and blew up her car and watch as she opens the curtains at the precise moment the burned out wreck is going past on a flat bed truck. Yes, that happened to me and I thought perhaps I was Victor Meldrew for a second.

If fate or destiny is the meeting of events that force particular choices, then, yes; I believe in fate. Other than that? Not at all.

when you say that "other peoples choices cause events that sometimes impact on our lives" i also believe that not just other peoples choices that impact on our lives but our OWN choices to have impact on our lives and other peoples.

Hope the wife wasnt to upset about the car!!

Through
24-Dec-06, 19:38
i also believe that not just other peoples choices that impact on our lives but our OWN choices to have impact on our lives and other peoples.

I believe that is exactly what I said.

Hope the wife wasnt to upset about the car!!

She wasn't, thanks.

crayola
25-Dec-06, 01:31
Do we have free will or is it all pretermined?No I'm not going bananas by replying to my own opening gambit, I'm just gobsmacked by the results of this poll. Almost 2/3 of orgers say they believe in fate.

To those that voted yes:

Do you really believe that our lives are predetermined? That it is 'written in the stars', or wherever, that we will marry person X and have Y kids in the year ABCD. That we'll live in a certain place, do a certain job and die on a certain day. That some all powerful external being or power or whatever has mapped out certain aspects of each and every human life in gory detail?. Surely 2/3 of orgers can't believe life is like that?

If that is truly so, then I'm even more gobsmacked than I thought I was.

More likely, you're saying much less than this. That we're likely to marry someone like person X and maybe have Y kids. That we're likely to live in a certain type of house in a certain type of town, reach a certain level of seniority in a certain class of employment and we're likely to live until a certain age. That this is influenced hugely by our upbringing and our family circumstances.

If so, I would argue that this is social and economic inertia, not fate.

(Thanks to my significant other for writing most of this lol.)

Ricco
28-Dec-06, 17:05
Them at the bottom of the garden?:D

Yep! They're the ones; not those down the High Street. ;)

goldenguernsey
29-Dec-06, 00:06
Are we no longer masters of our own destiny?