PDA

View Full Version : DAB radio....

percy toboggan
18-Nov-06, 19:57
I dunno if you get dab up there. I found out yesterday - largely due to previous inexcusable ignorance- that dab radio's although they are infinitely better in the clarity department, especially after dark - use up to TWELVE times more electricity than their analogue counterparts. In a nation moving towards fewer emissions, yet which promotes dab I was surprised to hear this. Were you?

northener
18-Nov-06, 19:57
Cant get DAB!

Bobbyian
18-Nov-06, 20:33
I dunno if you get dab up there. I found out yesterday - largely due to previous inexcusable ignorance- that dab radio's although they are infinitely better in the clarity department, especially after dark - use up to TWELVE times more electricity than their analogue counterparts. In a nation moving towards fewer emissions, yet which promotes dab I was surprised to hear this. Were you?

Thats it I think this is where we are going all wrong firstly like you say it uses more energy and it may be on the whole morclarity i have found it doesn`t fade it just dissappears when reception is poor Isay the good old analog for something and digital for others.

MadPict
18-Nov-06, 20:39
DAB is over rated - streaming internet radio is as good if not better.

Bobbyian
18-Nov-06, 20:45
ok streaming is good quality but what you need is something when on the move .... I suppose you take all the music you want on a chip but just for common garden steam radio on the move I think analog is enough...

Doolally
18-Nov-06, 21:30
I had a look at the DAB coverage map the other day and it said that we couldn't get it up here. I did notice though that Homebase were selling them.

Rheghead
18-Nov-06, 22:38
How do I tune into it, is it on the radio or what?:confused

percy toboggan
18-Nov-06, 22:50
How do I tune into it, is it on the radio or what?:confused
Apparently not yet Rheghead. Do not despair, my sister in North Wales can't get it either ! I'm beginning to think it's over rated. Although falling to sleep listening to James Whale could be an improvement over the p.c. ninnies down at Bush House. Medium wave around here goes completely to pot after dark.

Rheghead
18-Nov-06, 23:31
Apparently not yet Rheghead. Do not despair, my sister in North Wales can't get it either ! I'm beginning to think it's over rated. Although falling to sleep listening to James Whale could be an improvement over the p.c. ninnies down at Bush House. Medium wave around here goes completely to pot after dark.

James Whale, there's a blast from the past, I used to quite like Alan Beswick, does he get on it as well?

MadPict
19-Nov-06, 00:29
DAB is sometimes poorer quality than FM -
http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/freq_find/DAB_sound.html

http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/articles.php?title=Low-Audio-Quality-is-inevitable-on-DAB-in-Europe-unless-the-AAC-codec-is-adopted

Metalattakk
19-Nov-06, 03:51
Although falling to sleep listening to James Whale could be an improvement over the p.c. ninnies down at Bush House. Medium wave around here goes completely to pot after dark.

Stream it over the internet.

www.talksport.net Monday to Thursday inclusive, 10pm to 1am. Quality stuff!

Edit: Also, talkSPORT is available on Sky TV, channel 0108.

percy toboggan
19-Nov-06, 14:27
James Whale, there's a blast from the past, I used to quite like Alan Beswick, does he get on it as well?

Beswick is alive and kicking on Radio Manchester. Available on dab and F.M.Weekdays from noon.

Dreadnought
19-Nov-06, 14:38
As an avid shortwave listener (I listen to stations from all round the world) I have no time for DAB.

Errogie
20-Nov-06, 14:00
So I like to listen to the radio while I'm hill walking but find the F.M. signal can vary even if you turn round slightly and the other problem is the tuning contol moving inside a shirt or jacket pocket.

Would digital radio give steady reception in say the central highlands and west coast and can anyone recommend a small portable model? My current one is a Roberts about the size of a fag packet and it can be great to get a good programme when flogging up a long hill or track and I have to confess that I have been known to cycle with it on quiet roads and tracks.

Bobbyian
20-Nov-06, 20:33
So I like to listen to the radio while I'm hill walking but find the F.M. signal can vary even if you turn round slightly and the other problem is the tuning contol moving inside a shirt or jacket pocket.

Would digital radio give steady reception in say the central highlands and west coast and can anyone recommend a small portable model? My current one is a Roberts about the size of a fag packet and it can be great to get a good programme when flogging up a long hill or track and I have to confess that I have been known to cycle with it on quiet roads and tracks.

I would probably think with a Digi Radio you wouldn`t get anything atall