PDA

View Full Version : Never mind low turnouts. Where were all the candidates?

gollach
04-May-12, 08:25
Where were all the Thurso candidates? I can't be at home 24/7 but I was at home almost every evening and nobody came to my door. The only piece of paper to come through my letterbox was a flyer for the LibDem candidate. Several neighbours in the centre of town say they didn't see a soul or get campaign literature.

Before people complain about turnouts, ask whether the candidates engaged with the electorate.

squidge
04-May-12, 08:31
Aye we had 9 candidates here and had literature from 4 of them 2 x SNP, 1 green and only 1 independent. Only one door knock too ... SNP

buddyrich
04-May-12, 08:50
Just Donny MacKay and John Rosie here.

Didn't vote, not interested.

Hoida
04-May-12, 09:23
We had no one here and only a leaflet from Linda Munro

John Little
04-May-12, 09:24
Canvassing? Doorstepping?

Consultation?

You expect to be asked your opinion?

This is Politics my dear chap!!!

We are talking process here - people don't count!

Torvaig
04-May-12, 09:28
Just having a chuckle to myself; if every candidate was knocking on our doors this thread would have been full of complaints that there was no peace from these people! :lol:

Kodiak
04-May-12, 10:45
I find that it interesting that I was visited by three different Candidates, not only on the same evening but they came 2 minutes apart.

What makes it really intresting is this is the very first time in 21 years on living in this house that this has happened. So what has changed to make them to visit.

Answer....Could it be that this year just around the corner from where I live is another candidate who was standing. Could be, could very well be.

Made no difference I still voted for whom I wanted in.

RecQuery
04-May-12, 11:42

So you have no opinion or complaints about how your local council is ran?

ducati
04-May-12, 11:52
I did vote, from a sense of duty, but I can't say I was particularly engaged. And to whoever got my second third or fourth vote, you're welcome! :lol:

crichton
04-May-12, 15:56
Hi,
we were not visited by any of the Landward candidates either and received one flyer. To be honset though, it didnt really matter if we were visited as the candidates to get my votes:
a) would have to be somone with experience of life, used to handling problems and negotiating solutions; and
b) have no real political aligance because they should have their 'patches' interests at heart and not play party politics; and
c) be well know/ prominent member of the community serving on local committees or organisations.

Adopting the above made my voting easy.

C

RecQuery
04-May-12, 16:04
Hi,
we were not visited by any of the Landward candidates either and received one flyer. To be honset though, it didnt really matter if we were visited as the candidates to get my votes:
a) would have to be somone with experience of life, used to handling problems and negotiating solutions; and
b) have no real political aligance because they should have their 'patches' interests at heart and not play party politics; and
c) be well know/ prominent member of the community serving on local committees or organisations.

Adopting the above made my voting easy.

C

I'm just playing Devil's Advocate so don't mind me, but one could argue that:
a) Such a person would be set in their ways and possible tired after accruing all that experiencing.
b) Such a person couldn't get anything done, having no party support mechanism or political ties.
c) Such a person would have vested interests and be mired in local feuds.

I'd be more likely to vote for a candidate I wouldn't normally consider if they engaged and put in some effort.

Bloo
04-May-12, 16:25
Personally I never voted..The reason being, the whole point of a campaign is to raise awareness etc. Now, even though I work, I don't work 24hours a day, 7 days a week and i had NOBODY to my door. I got a leaftlet or two through but the ones I got were just little ones with no information or reasons why i should vote for you. Pretty much a "Vote" then a party name and a little picture on the end! :/

And just a final word, the only form of campaigning i saw was little signs on lamposts, again saying "Vote" with a party name on the end. My question, why for you and not this chap? :lol:

Buttercup
04-May-12, 16:34
Donnie Mackay called here a few weeks ago, and Nick Noble put a flyer in the letterbox a couple of days ago to say he'd called and missed me - very strange that as I was in at the time :confused But then again maybe it was one of the various kids that were delivering his flyers the other week in which he was telling us he was Local :eek:. Nothing heard or seen from any of the others.

Corrie 3
04-May-12, 16:46
Nick Noble put a flyer in the letterbox a couple of days ago to say he'd called and missed me - very strange that as I was in at the time
But then again maybe it was one of the various kids that were delivering his flyers the other week in which he was telling us he was Local :eek:.
Are you saying Nick Noble isn't local? He claims he is !!!!
Now, who is telling Porkies?
It doesn't matter now because not enough people fell for his tricks!!

C3..........:eek::eek:

Buttercup
04-May-12, 16:54
Are you saying Nick Noble isn't local? He claims he is !!!!
Now, who is telling Porkies?
It doesn't matter now because not enough people fell for his tricks!!

C3..........:eek::eek:

Depends what you call Local and not wishing to start a "white settlers" arguement here but to me (and anyone I've asked) saying you're "Local" implies you were born here, not just lived here for a few years.

Serenity
04-May-12, 17:46
Depends what you call Local and not wishing to start a "white settlers" arguement here but to me (and anyone I've asked) saying you're "Local" implies you were born here, not just lived here for a few years.

That is just ridiculous! So by that logic I am local but my parents are not? I would look up the definition of the word local if I were you.

Edit: Oh wait I just realised. I was born away from here, I was a toddler when my family moved here, forgot about that as I don't really remember living anywhere before here. But I guess I'm not a local either. Oh well.

Edit (again): I would say a local is someone who lives locally and is involved and interested in local issues.

lindsaymcc
04-May-12, 17:53
We had 3 leaflets from Labour, Lib Dem and SNP.

Independants came to our door.

Labour candidate was outside the polling station yesterday.

Alice in Blunderland
06-May-12, 17:03
We had two candidates visit us. Alex McLeod and David Bremner. I have in the past had reason to call David Bremner and found him most helpful as I have had with Willie and Robbie two of the other landward candidates. I voted for the people I felt had the local interests at heart. For me that is the most important thing that matters. As for the are they aren't they local issue ....... I am not bothered if they can trace their local genes back to their aunts mothers first cousin removed or not so long as they have the fight in them to get the best for this area that's all that I am bothered with. By the definition of local according to the org then I'm not neither is my husband only my children can be called local :(

johnny north
07-May-12, 19:04

Why not, I always thought you were a Saxon fan?