PDA

View Full Version : What's happening at Groats?

Gronnuck
03-May-12, 11:21
I’ve only just found out that Highland Council is negotiating the lease of council land at John o’ Groats. Apparently they are planning to sign over the car park and the iconic signpost to the new developers Natural Retreats.
My fear is that a gate gets put up just north of the Seaview Hotel and we all have to pay to get anywhere near the harbour and the new ice cream shop ‘flavours.’
Does anyone know about this? Can anyone tell us what’s happening? Do us locals get any say in what happens hereabouts?

gerry4
03-May-12, 12:13
I can't imagine that happening. For a start all of the businesses there would be up in arms as they would close. I would rest assured. Why not ask your new councillor tomorrow.

groater
03-May-12, 12:14
gates will never happen as long as the harbour is still there

Gronnuck
03-May-12, 12:20
gates will never happen as long as the harbour is still there

Thanks groater. I know the harbour is still used by a variety of boats and long may it be so. I just don't want the place to become like Land's End where you get charged £5 (2006 price) to park your car.

YummyMummy
05-May-12, 10:56
I think this is probably unlikely. Natural Retreats have, so far, been trustworthy and their intentions appear to be sound. As far as I know, they are in negotiation with the council, but it is to develop the area for the better and to encourage visitors to stay longer and enjoy their visit and maybe even spend more - supporting our businesses while they are at it. I don't think gates or anything like that has been mentioned. There is talk of a proper finishing line (for all those amazing folk that come a distance - including the end to enders, to find very little to welcome them, especially in the evenings) and there was talk of the car park being relocated. As far as I am aware those things (if indeed they are to happen) are in the final phases of the planning (i.e. a few years away) and every decision should be subject to a proper consultative process.

On an important note - charging my lovely customers to come and get their ice creams is simply not on. I don't think you'll find much enthusiasm among the businesses at Groats for folk to be charged at a gate! As for paying for parking, that's an important point and I will personally take it upon myself to look into this.

In my opinion, it is about time that John O'Groats got some proper attention and the regeneration is to be welcomed. It is just a pity that Highland Council have not grasped any opportunity for the develoment of its own land, allowing it to deteriorate for years and years. Lets hope our councillors can start to share our enthusiasm about John O'Groats and Highland Council can support proper and sensible plans and leave charging at gates and the like where it should be - nothing more than rhetoric. I may be wrong, but wasn't it the Council that spent all that money on the recent paintwork of our lovely hotel? I wholeheartedly agree with you Gronnuck - let's put the decison making for John O'Groats in safe hands. Allow the community to make the decisions. I look forward to the consultations which inevitably will take place for the future of John O'Groats. Interesting times ahead.

And in the meantime, there's always ice cream:)

Sandra Thain
Flavours

Tugmistress
05-May-12, 19:35
And i also seem to think that The Sign Post does not belong to the council but is privately owned as the photographer there likes to rudely inform people.

Corrie 3
05-May-12, 19:38
And i also seem to think that The Sign Post does not belong to the council but is privately owned as the photographer there likes to rudely inform people.
I agree Tugs, who is this photo Guy, anyone know of him? I have tried to find out with no success as yet! He does seem to put a lot of Folk off and his comments are not good for the area!!

C3.............[disgust]

ducati
05-May-12, 22:58
I agree Tugs, who is this photo Guy, anyone know of him? I have tried to find out with no success as yet! He does seem to put a lot of Folk off and his comments are not good for the area!!

C3.............[disgust]

Incomer? :mad:

Duncansby
06-May-12, 23:05
During the early consultation phase there was mention of a gate going in to section off the area above and leading down to the harbour which would become a pedestrian area. Understandably this did not meet with much approval from locals! Whether that's been shelved or not is another question.

I understand the 'official' signpost is owned by Heritage GB (the folk who have the hotel, Journey's End and Last House).

Birons
06-May-12, 23:17
I have not been up to Groats for a while to see what has been going on, but we had a couple visit our shop on the way back South, they said the place was a total mess and where very disappointed with what they saw.:confused

I hope the the proposed improvements come to a satisfactory conclusion soon and suit both locals and visitors to this iconic landmark.

www.birons.co.uk (http://www.birons.co.uk)

Fran
06-May-12, 23:45
[QUOTE=Corrie 3;949235]I agree Tugs, who is this photo Guy, anyone know of him? I have tried to find out with no success as yet! He does seem to put a lot of Folk off and his comments are not good for the area!!

His name is mr diamond. the sign belongs to a firm at Lands End, I used to work for them at John O Groats ten years ago or so, when the hotel wa still open.

dx100uk
07-May-12, 01:23
Thanks groater. I know the harbour is still used by a variety of boats and long may it be so. I just don't want the place to become like Land's End where you get charged £5 (2006 price) to park your car.

lands end is very cleverly done to fleece the punter with the way the car park is positioned and sign posted, intimating that you must pay to access lands end through/by parking ... lands end itself is FREE ACCESS.

the private carpark, if you were do a wee bit of research on the internet [also mentioned on watchdog and sites like moneysavingexpert/consumeractiongroup]
you will see that 'if' you forget to pay to park, there is little they can actually do to enforce the charge.

i just hope the same 'stunt' is not 'allowed' to be implemented at the groats.

dx

oldmarine
07-May-12, 22:21
Me thinks - no gate there. The businesses are profit oriented and would not tolerate a gate there.