PDA

View Full Version : Children in need

Keith Shelley
18-Nov-06, 02:17
Heres a question, why do the BBC spend so much time on Children in need when the elderly who we owe our freedom too are so ignored?:confused

changilass
18-Nov-06, 03:19
Children are a more emotive subject than the elderly would be my guess on that one.

Just out of interest the final total on the night was £18,300,332, so they broke last years record.:D That has to be good news for the kids.

percy toboggan
18-Nov-06, 10:27
It's an emotive statement to say we owe our 'freedom' to an entire generation. We don't. Although an entire generation sustained the difficulties of a particularly awful time they were not all front line fighters. We do not 'ignore' them either. Just last wekend the Remembrance ceremonies brought sacrifice to mind.That said I understand your sentiment entirely. Kids are cute, the elderly are wrinkled and not too easy on the eye. The innocence of children is also more likely to get people digging into their pockets. The truth is that it should not be an 'either, or ' situation at all. Central Government could spend much, much more on both ends of the age spectrum in hardship by spending our money more wisely. How much has the folly of Iraq cost us all for instance. I'd gladly pay more tax to provide better care for the elderly, so long as they(the individual), where possible contributed something towards it where they had the means.Likewise our child health, welfare and social responses, as the fourth largest economy in the world should be top drawer. Sadly, they are not - though compared to most people in the world we are relatively fortunate.