PDA

View Full Version : news letter

Ojibwa
17-Nov-06, 22:32
Hi, I was thinking about doing a family news letter to send to family and friends this Christmas. I have never done one of these before and just wondered what people think of them as I know some people often feel that they are not very personal.

martin macdonald
17-Nov-06, 22:34
Hi, I was thinking about doing a family news letter to send to family and friends this Christmas. I have never done one of these before and just wondered what people think of them as I know some people often feel that they are not very personal.i dont think i would like to get one:eek:

connieb19
17-Nov-06, 22:35
I've never heard of this, what exactly is it? :confused

unicorn
17-Nov-06, 22:36
Neither have I but if you don't see your family regularly I think it would be nice to get pictures and news.

David from Stockport
17-Nov-06, 22:38
I think they are great ,you could always include a sentance explaining that it may seem a bit impersonnal but you have X number of people to send notes to so unless you start doing cards in september its a good solution and you can make the last couple of sentances personnal. Its better than just a card with : to x from x happy christmas inside it.

Go for it

mums angels
17-Nov-06, 22:41
I don't like the news letters i get from my hubbys aunt...Last year i made a xmas photo card with the kids in santa hats ..i think it went down well, everyone could see how the children had grown and it was still a personnal touch..I will be doing so again this year.

mums angels
17-Nov-06, 22:43
I've never heard of this, what exactly is it? :confused

It is a standard letter that you send out to people along with their christmas cards filling them in on your news for the past year..what the kids have done, events..e.t.c

connieb19
17-Nov-06, 22:47
It is a standard letter that you send out to people along with their christmas cards filling them in on your news for the past year..what the kids have done, events..e.t.c
Thanks mums angels, I had never heard of this before.

mums angels
17-Nov-06, 22:50
Thanks mums angels, I had never heard of this before.

I get a few each year from family members who live abroad but i have to say i find them very dull... a picture would do just the same with maybe a short paragraph instead of 2 A4 peices of paper ..EEK

Ojibwa
17-Nov-06, 22:56
I get a few each year from family members who live abroad but i have to say i find them very dull... a picture would do just the same with maybe a short paragraph instead of 2 A4 peices of paper ..EEK

Wow 2 A4 pages, that is a bit much! :eek: I've received these letters myself from family abroad, some I look forward to every year, others are just filled with boastful (is that a word ? ) ramblings!

I just thought I might do something short with a photo, as we just moved overseas this year. I would like to do individual letters but my time is limited as I have 3 young children.

Can't decide now. :confused

mums angels
17-Nov-06, 23:08
Wow 2 A4 pages, that is a bit much! :eek: I've received these letters myself from family abroad, some I look forward to every year, others are just filled with boastful (is that a word ? ) ramblings!

I just thought I might do something short with a photo, as we just moved overseas this year. I would like to do individual letters but my time is limited as I have 3 young children.

Can't decide now. :confused

I think something short with photos would be very nice...yes i get some 2 A4 sheets and they are..as you put it politely "boastful"..very annoying . I hope you enjoy your first christmas overseas

Piglet
17-Nov-06, 23:19
I receive this at christmas & i hate getting it it just like saying look what i've done. Where as if it for progress on the kids a photo would be great.

bobsgirl
17-Nov-06, 23:26
I myself think that Mumsangels idea is quite good, I would prefer a photo card rather than a newsletter.
I should think that most Photo Developers will have the new machine that you just pop in your camera card and it walks you through making a card!
Brill Idea Mumsangels!!

mums angels
18-Nov-06, 00:22
Glad you like the idea bobsgirl ..i'll send you one once i have them done:lol: ...Chemist is very good for it you can add your own message on the photo ..i did this for my sons birth announcement card..got 50 for a fiver

Bobinovich
18-Nov-06, 00:32
Rather than a boring letter with all the details of the last year, why not jazz it up a bit using a fairly easy-to-use program like Microsoft Publisher.

Choose one of the newsletter templates, customise it, drop in some photo's, add some (but not too much) text and you've created something far more readable and fun.

If you don't like the newsletter formats, try creating your own 'family newspaper'. Go on, get creative!

If you're unsure how to start, drop me a PM - I'll happily give you some pointers.

gollach
18-Nov-06, 00:52
I have Canadian relatives who have been sending one of these for the last 20 years. I hate it and find it very impersonal.

wifie
18-Nov-06, 01:20
Yep those letters either make you feel exhausted by the time you have read all the fantastic achievements (?) of those involved or totally inadequate as you have not reached the dizzy heights they have! I think a nice pic of the children or whoever and a few chatty lines that may be of interest to the recipient are much more fun to receive.

Ojibwa
18-Nov-06, 02:24
Ok, think I will just add a photo to my Christmas cards and a few personal lines on each card. Thanks to bobinovich for the newspaper idea, sounds fun. I have sent u a pm. Thanks to everyone else for your thoughts on this subject. :)

cullbucket
18-Nov-06, 02:31
Why not send a pic at Xmas and give them the address to your blog in the Xmas card.
You can put pictures, info and news on the blog - its pretty easy to do and then your relatives / friends can check up whenever they feel like it.
I used www.blogspot.com but its not that great to be honest, it has froze up on me a couple of times, but is free so what the heck...

danc1ngwitch
18-Nov-06, 09:33
I am a family person, but however most of my family are not ( boo Hoo ) I would do anything to have a real close family and i do try and keep my children in touch with both side of the family...

Moby
18-Nov-06, 21:30
.......why not jazz it up a bit using a fairly easy-to-use program like Microsoft Publisher......... Go on, get creative!

Thanks Bob! Read this thread this morning and have been playing about ALL day on Publisher (something I'd never looked at before). Really should've done the ironing! I now have guilt:(

Bobinovich
18-Nov-06, 22:31
Thanks Moby, or should that be sorry! LOL. While I use Publisher for a few jobs, the bees knees in PC design (IMHO) is CorelDraw which I have used since version 3 - they're now on v13!