PDA

View Full Version : Safe Swearing!?

pmcd
29-Apr-12, 10:36
Bearing in mind the sensitivity of our hard-working Moderators when it comes to "keeping it clean" on the site, I think none the less we have a great opportunity to use the local area to supply us with words to be used in angry situations. Imagine a grinding grimy urban gangland movie- hoodies are propping up a warehouse wall. One walks up to another, spits professionally on to the sidewalk, and grunts

"Hows it hangin', blood?"

"Don't blood me, yo Muckle FluggAH!"

Just a thought.

John Little
29-Apr-12, 10:46
Mess wi me pal and ye'll get a Glesgae Keiss....an' a recht Latheron!

secrets in symmetry
29-Apr-12, 13:27
What a deluded tunnock this man looks!

http://i.imgur.com/y6Bso.jpg

Buttercup
29-Apr-12, 13:37
Bearing in mind the sensitivity of our hard-working Moderators when it comes to "keeping it clean" on the site, I think none the less we have a great opportunity to use the local area to supply us with words to be used in angry situations. Imagine a grinding grimy urban gangland movie- hoodies are propping up a warehouse wall. One walks up to another, spits professionally on to the sidewalk, and grunts

"Hows it hangin', blood?"

"Don't blood me, yo Muckle FluggAH!"

Just a thought.

Just love it, can't stop laughing.:lol:

Joefitz
29-Apr-12, 13:39
Now, who needs made up words when we have fine Caithnessian words like 'Gappus", or "Trosk".....such wonderfully descriptive words, too!!!!
(Incidentally, for the Mods.....Gappus is a gaping fool, and trosk is a meddling idiot!!)

Alrock
29-Apr-12, 13:46
Swearing is swearing no matter whether it is one of the well known swear words, obscure swear words, or made up swear words...
Nothing wrong with swearing as long as it is used in the right context, usually to emphasise a point.
To quote Frank Zappa, "No such thing as bad language, just bad usage"

poppett
29-Apr-12, 16:06
Reviving memories of the late lamented english teachers here, Janet Ryrie and Bill Shurie. "If the meaning of the word does not make sense once fitted into the sentence....do not use it" I had that as 1,000 lines one weekend for saying "chuffing" out loud.

pat
29-Apr-12, 22:15
The makers of one game thought they would confuse the censors and they obviously have as pals young son and his pal proudly says to a father of a youner boy that ???? game was good, the father asked about swearing or foul language - young lads replied it will be alright as the swearing is in Italian so the younger boy will not realise it is swearing. We all asked the young lads how they knew it was in Italian - they had done an engine search and found translations before checking it out with local cafe owner!
One way of getting the lads to learn a new words in a language.

RecQuery
29-Apr-12, 22:43
I find it interesting that when people want to ban and censor swearing, they just want to ban the words themselves and not the sentiment or emotion behind the word. They're okay with the hate provided you cowl it in idiotic baby language. I think that's double-plus bad.

Another argument I dislike that is usually trotted out by the uptight anti-swearing brigade is that only stupid people swear. I've actually noticed the reverse.

pat
30-Apr-12, 10:12
I was always told that use of swear words showed a lack of vocabulary as there was always many other adjectives and nouns around to be descriptive.

That lasted for many years until I went to work someplace and unless you used such language you were thought to be weak and unable to stand up to the people who thought they were roughest. One evening they thought they could ride roughshod over me and got a shock when I very uncharacteristically gave them a mouthful of swearwords all in the correct context - no problems after.

Alrock
16-May-12, 20:16
"What the hell"... Is that swearing?
Was gonna use "What the (a word beginning with F)" in a pm but thought better of it & changed the F word to Hell so as not to offend but got told of by the recipient for swearing anyway.

John Little
16-May-12, 20:30
"By our Lady - Hell!"

Rather depends on etymology....

It's the truth - God blind me else!

RecQuery
16-May-12, 21:45
My problem with using idiotic baby language, alternative or 'nice' swear words instead of swearing is that it means people aren't offended by the sentiment or the anger and emotions behind the swearing. It means they're just offended by the words themselves regardless of context which just seems stupid. That's where things like saying white-meat and dark-meat when talking about poultry came from ; people didn't want to say breast and thigh.

changilass
16-May-12, 21:54
Its boob or leg in this house.

If folks dinnae like it they won't come back - more for the rest of us.

golach
16-May-12, 22:25
Its boob or leg in this house.

If folks dinnae like it they won't come back - more for the rest of us.

Sorry Changi I am not going into the butchers and ask for a half pound of chicken boobs [lol]

Dadie
16-May-12, 22:37
try the recipe pages where you cant use the word for stabbing something with a fork without an infraction!
The pr "something(if you need a clue the vowel thats not included a,e,o +u)" ck.
Which is silly, surely the words should be taken in context..where they are not being used as swear words?

RecQuery
16-May-12, 23:57
I just noticed that in one of my other posts the word b-a-s-t-a-r-dised was replaced/censored by the word ised. I don't see why, perfectly legitimate word. Are we going to censor words like analysed next? Are we next going to ban the eating of steak because it can't be consumed by young children.

Aaldtimer
17-May-12, 03:34
I just noticed that in one of my other posts the word b-a-s-t-a-r-dised was replaced/censored by the word ised. I don't see why, perfectly legitimate word. Are we going to censor words like analysed next? Are we next going to ban the eating of steak because it can't be consumed by young children.

Erm...why can't steak be eaten by young children? :confused

equusdriving
17-May-12, 12:06
Many years ago a Newmarket Horse Trainer (which from memory was Di Haines) tried to get around the governing bodies naming rules by naming 2 racehorses " Betty Swallocks" and "Mary Hinge"

Errogie
20-May-12, 10:49
Well I thought Prince Charles' use of two mild profanities in his recent weather forecast was particularly shocking. Perhaps part of the effect is derived from who comes out with it like the guy digging up the road who coups his wheelbarrow is one thing but HRH would be another although Phil the Greek wouldn't be surprising.

David Banks
16-Feb-15, 21:18
Reviving memories of the late lamented english teachers here, Janet Ryrie and Bill Shurie. "If the meaning of the word does not make sense once fitted into the sentence....do not use it" I had that as 1,000 lines one weekend for saying "chuffing" out loud.

I meandered to this thread by a recent posting by the welcome reappearance of John Little.

Ah, Miss Ryrie and Mr. Shurie, lamented indeed.

If I remember correctly, Mr. Shurie also taught Latin. He would moved his blackboard pointer in a long horizontal sweeping arc to remind us to use a very long vocalisation of the second "a" in certain instances while conjugating amo, etc., a specific example being amaaaaabam.

Remarkable and memorable (clearly) teachers.

sids
16-Feb-15, 22:32
Getifuyabasa!

David Banks
17-Feb-15, 10:23
Getifuyabasa!

And, this means what ?

tonkatojo
17-Feb-15, 10:27
And, this means what ?

Ref to Mr Billy Connolly I believe.

Kevin Milkins
17-Feb-15, 10:48
"Frack Off" seem to be the bling word amongst the banner waving anti fracking campaigners just now, not sure what message it sends to the youngsters.

On another note, its good to see the orgers playing nicely again.

gmcborgie
17-Feb-15, 15:01
"Away to Fluchary" is a handy expression!