PDA

View Full Version : What happens when you put in a complaint about someone being rude in the forums

Tristan
17-Nov-06, 22:04
If you put in a complaint about someone being rude in the forums (regular orger or moderator) is the complainee told of the outcome of the complaint or are they left to wonder if the situation was ever dealt with?

Piglet
17-Nov-06, 22:14
I don't have a clue but it's a good question.
I hope someone can help.:D

mums angels
17-Nov-06, 22:46
If you put in a complaint about someone being rude in the forums (regular orger or moderator) is the complainee told of the outcome of the complaint or are they left to wonder if the situation was ever dealt with?

Hope someone hasn't been rude to you Tristan!! I would think that someone would at least tell you if the complaint was dealt with ..hope you find out

percy toboggan
17-Nov-06, 23:04
Why not just be a little rude back?Or send 'em a p.m. telling them to see a taxidermist? Why the need for offiical channels of complaint. Ignore them if they 'offend' you.

We all need a stiff spine , a sense of humour, and a modicum of robust resistance to 'rude' jibes.

funky-dunky
17-Nov-06, 23:06
hi when angel eyes requested to take my (twin girls) post off i asked the mod's if they would kindly let me know if this has been dealt with but they said they aint allowed to tell me..

Tristan
17-Nov-06, 23:14
hi when angel eyes requested to take my (twin girls) post off i asked the mod's if they would kindly let me know if this has been dealt with but they said they aint allowed to tell me..

If you had a specific complaint about someone I would have thought they would tell you especially if it was a moderator being rude.
In your case because they took the thread off perhaps that was/is your answer.

Tristan
17-Nov-06, 23:26
Why not just be a little rude back?Or send 'em a p.m. telling them to see a taxidermist? Why the need for offiical channels of complaint. Ignore them if they 'offend' you.

We all need a stiff spine , a sense of humour, and a modicum of robust resistance to 'rude' jibes.

Too true, but false allegations and snide comments ..... better to let the official channels know: it levels the playing field.

Bobinovich
17-Nov-06, 23:34
When a report is posted using the red triangle, for whatever reason, the report is posted in the Moderators forum. If an obvious breach of the rules has occurred (swearing, masking, trolling, etc.) then, usually, the first Mod or Admin to view the report will act upon it by issuing a General Warning or Infraction.

If however the content of the reported post is a bit more vague then it is usually mulled over by Admin and Mods. If the consensus is that the complaint is valid then a General Warning or Infraction will then be issued by either Admin or a Mod.

As far as I am aware (and this is certainly the path I personally have taken to date), the member reporting the post is not notified of any action(s) taken.

I hope this answers your question.

JAWS
17-Nov-06, 23:36
If it was a comment openly made on the forum then I would suggest a request for an apology by the same method would be the best thing to try first.

Personally, if an apology was forthcoming, I would consider that an end of the matter and see no point in persuing the matter.
Even when such matters are so serious as the involve the Legal System a retraction and apology are generally accepted by all involved.

Is this a Generic question or is it about something specific?

Tristan
17-Nov-06, 23:46
If it was a comment openly made on the forum then I would suggest a request for an apology by the same method would be the best thing to try first.

Personally, if an apology was forthcoming, I would consider that an end of the matter and see no point in persuing the matter.
Even when such matters are so serious as the involve the Legal System a retraction and apology are generally accepted by all involved.

Is this a Generic question or is it about something specific?

I have pm'd you

rockchick
17-Nov-06, 23:51
Stupid question, perhaps, but who moderates the moderators? If its a moderator who is being rude, obnoxious, or sarcastic, or generally biased or unhelpful...who moderates them?

Do they have moderator parties, and gang up on each other, or what?

changilass
17-Nov-06, 23:53
The other moderators and admin

Fran
18-Nov-06, 00:38
What exactly are moderators and how do orgers become one????

ice box
18-Nov-06, 00:53
I made a complaint to the admin and still don't know if anything has been done about it. They didn't get back to me will if the complaints go to the mods they seem to disappear in the org triangle [disgust]

scrapydoo
18-Nov-06, 00:59
Rules
Any abuse directed at the moderator in question will lead to an instant permanent ban, they are here to help with the smooth running of the forum and doing so they should not be open to abuse.

Just a question what happens when a moderator directs abuse at a member?

Does the member have to put up with it or will the admin deal with the moderator in the same way they would deal with a member with a permanent ban.:confused

changilass
18-Nov-06, 01:05
Moderators have to abide by the same rules, we are after all ,orgers just the same as everyone else.:D

Saxo01
18-Nov-06, 01:27
I made a complaint to the admin and still don't know if anything has been done about it. They didn't get back to me will if the complaints go to the mods they seem to disappear in the org triangle [disgust]

Oh no not another bermuda triangle

changilass
18-Nov-06, 01:29
Nah Saxo, this ones much better, its the Caithness Cube:lol:

Saxo01
18-Nov-06, 01:39
looks like its well boxed in

jayare
18-Nov-06, 01:45
Stupid question, perhaps, but who moderates the moderators?

Yes it is a stupid question, and soooooo boring. Have we got to go through this tedious drivel again?
What a stupid and irrelevant question 'Who moderates the mods?'. Are you all that paranoid? And what does it matter?

Jeid
18-Nov-06, 01:57
Yes it is a stupid question, and soooooo boring. Have we got to go through this tedious drivel again?
What a stupid and irrelevant question 'Who moderates the mods?'. Are you all that paranoid? And what does it matter?

Agreed, and one that has appeared in every thread that mentions moderators :roll:

Jeid
18-Nov-06, 02:00
Rules
Does the member have to put up with it or will the admin deal with the moderator in the same way they would deal with a member with a permanent ban.:confused

Nope... Mods have to obey the rules like everyone else. I do believe Golach had a warning or infraction for rule breaking.

Rheghead
18-Nov-06, 02:42
I do believe Golach had a warning or infraction for rule breaking.

just being nosey but which officious mod had the gall to issue him with a warning? :lol:

Colin Manson
18-Nov-06, 05:15
Rheghead - It was Niall that issued the warning.

Bobinovich has already answered the original question, the only thing I would add is that I might PM the person to let them know what the situation was but it really depends on the nature of the complaint. If it's complete rubbish then I'd probably ignore it because arguing with people like that gets you nowhere.

Being rude isn't against the rules, if it was we wouldn't have all the interesting posters that we do, when it crosses the line to become abuse then it's a different matter.

Since you have complained about rudeness then I guess that answers your question as to what would be done about a complaint. We all look at it and decide if it's either a heated argument and is part and parcel of a lively forum or if it's someone becoming too personal.

danc1ngwitch
18-Nov-06, 09:28
some people come across as being rude and it's just them... Sometimes i can be straight forward does that mean that some people might think i am rude??? If i do think however i might offend another i do try and say something at the end of the post to say no hard feelings... Some people on here tho i think go through the posts picking out silly little things to pick upon and well i suppose thats what its about in the end:roll:

saxovtr
18-Nov-06, 10:55
im a moderator on a website if somebody makes a complaint to me i pass it on to the admin and they deal with it asap,there person that has made the complaint will get a private message saying it has been dealt with and in whatever way the admin decide to deal with it,id think it would be similar on most forums?

rockchick
18-Nov-06, 13:07
Glad to see you're keeping up the openess and community spirit that the Org is famous for. Thanks for the level of warmth and understanding that just oooozes from your posts.

jayare
18-Nov-06, 16:31
Your welcome :)

DrSzin
18-Nov-06, 18:16
I made a complaint to the admin and still don't know if anything has been done about it. They didn't get back to me will if the complaints go to the mods they seem to disappear in the org triangle [disgust]I don't know whether you complained by email, PM, or the "report post" system, but I can't find anything from you in the list of reported posts. Maybe it did indeed get lost in the org triangle. :confused

Some more-general comments...

It's best to use the "report post" system because then all mods and admin can see it. I would say that most of the complaints we get are well-intentioned and are (usually) justified - these generally lead to the offending posts and/or threads being removed from the public forums. I tend not to PM the complainer on these occasions because it's usually obvious what action has been taken. If appropriate, the "offending" poster is informed using the warning/infraction system. Unfortunately, there is no simple mechanism to inform both the poster and all mods & admin without issuing a warning, and the latter is often not necessary. Yes, we could PM the poster, with a cc to all mods and admin, whenever any action is taken, but this would be clumsy, prone to error, and it seems like overkill to me.

I sometimes PM the person who reported the post if it's not clear what action was taken and why. For example, last week someone reported two posts in one night: one of the posts was removed but the other wasn't, so I PMed the person who complained and tried to explain what we did. Perhaps we should do this more often.

I once thought that all mods' actions should be reported on the forum itself, but I think this policy would lead to far more problems than it solved.

We try to act equitably and to "do the right thing" when posts are reported. We don't always get it right first time, so we do reverse decisions from time to time, and we also do our best to be fair to everyone. According to current practice, if nothing happens when you report a post, then you can safely assume that the majority of mods and admin do not share your opinions.

flyfifer
18-Nov-06, 21:15
Stupid question, perhaps, but who moderates the moderators? If its a moderator who is being rude, obnoxious, or sarcastic, or generally biased or unhelpful...who moderates them?

Do they have moderator parties, and gang up on each other, or what?

To answer your question Niall moderates the moderators. If a moderator is rude he/she is stood up for, and us "complainers" are firmly put in our place and told not to be so silly. So what is the point. As someone has said, develop a thick skin, a hard heart, abandon all your principles, and take part in all the pointless inane threads in a way that is sure not to offend anyone.

Colin Manson
18-Nov-06, 22:11
If a moderator is rude he/she is stood up for, and us "complainers" are firmly put in our place and told not to be so silly.

I received a complaint about an Infraction that I gave, I posted it to let all the Moderators read it and contrary to your opinion they didn't all stick up for me. Enough people decided that my decision was incorrect and I reversed it.

Now if that is done to an Admin what makes you think that we wouldn't do it to a Moderator?

JAWS
19-Nov-06, 07:23
Glad to see you're keeping up the openess and community spirit that the Org is famous for. Thanks for the level of warmth and understanding that just oooozes from your posts.It must be contagious. I wonder who started the infection?

rockchick
19-Nov-06, 13:43
It must be contagious. I wonder who started the infection?

Is sarcasm a disease?

JAWS
19-Nov-06, 13:53
Is sarcasm a disease?Nope, but moaning and complaining seems to be in some cases. Fortunately it doesn't seem to be spreading very far and most posters seem to be totally immune to any attempts to spread it around.

Hope those suffering from it get better soon or at least keep it to themselves.