PDA

View Full Version : What Caithness needs...

ducati
28-Apr-12, 21:18
Hey lets have an incomers thread. How would you change your new home?

Personally, I wouldn't change anything. :lol:

Corrie 3
28-Apr-12, 21:23
Hey lets have an incomers thread. How would you change your new home?

I would start by blocking off that footpath at the back of my house, that would stop the likes of Jeremy Clarkson infringing on my Human Rights!!!

C3............:eek::roll:

secrets in symmetry
28-Apr-12, 21:25
I suggest the death penalty for voting SNP, and also for being a hypocrite - I know of someone who spent most of his working life elsewhere, then came back to Caithness - he now spends all his time moaning about incomers.

It should be compulsory to vote Tory and moan about Tesco.

rich62_uk
28-Apr-12, 21:29
We are 'incomers' and moved here because we did not like the way our area had changed for the worse. Love it here and to be honest would not change anything at all. Even love the way some of the shops shut for lunch ! If I wanted the other trappings of my life down south I would just move back.

Would not want to change what is an idyllic setting for my family.

Kenn
28-Apr-12, 21:45
Appart from establishing a garden, I would not change anything, I moved here by choice and after some very serious thought.

Tangerine-Dream
28-Apr-12, 21:58
I would change the locals.... remove them, send them over to Northern Ireland for six months, steal their houses.... do a bit of pillaging..... a bit of looting.... a bit of redecorating.... introduce "crime" into the area.... a bit of sleaze.... maybe a MacDonalds burger hut.... eat their children, paint their doors a different colour, force feed them political correctness, totally ruin their way of life......

I'm an "incomer" so that's to be expected by a few of the narrow minded A-Holes who have inhabited this place until........ NOW!

Incomers have landed ashore, incomers are coming to get you!

;)

ducati
29-Apr-12, 07:05
I would start by blocking off that footpath at the back of my house, that would stop the likes of Jeremy Clarkson infringing on my Human Rights!!!

C3............:eek::roll:

Have you tried setting the dogs on him?:Razz

mi16
29-Apr-12, 07:06
I would change the locals.... remove them, send them over to Northern Ireland for six months, steal their houses.... do a bit of pillaging..... a bit of looting.... a bit of redecorating.... introduce "crime" into the area.... a bit of sleaze.... maybe a MacDonalds burger hut.... eat their children, paint their doors a different colour, force feed them political correctness, totally ruin their way of life......

I'm an "incomer" so that's to be expected by a few of the narrow minded A-Holes who have inhabited this place until........ NOW!

Incomers have landed ashore, incomers are coming to get you!

;)

Tangerine-dream I bow down to you, you are the master of the rant.
Not fussy for the locals here are you?

ducati
29-Apr-12, 07:07
paint their doors a different colour NOW!

;)

Steady on! :eek:

Rheghead
29-Apr-12, 17:15

I think you are blatantly trying to pander to the locals to gain popularity, come on, be a bit more controversial than that!

ducati
29-Apr-12, 17:34
I think you are blatantly trying to pander to the locals to gain popularity, come on, be a bit more controversial than that!

I've made it perfectly clear, I'm having nothing to do with Pandas! :mad:

ducati
29-Apr-12, 17:36
Appart from establishing a garden, I would not change anything, I moved here by choice and after some very serious thought.

The garden is coming along nicely LIZZ, and thank's for the Bud. :D

pig whisperer
29-Apr-12, 20:59
I was born in Northamptonshire, moved to Oxfordshire when I was 21, stayed 13 years, moved to Mid Wales, stayed 18 years, & have lived in Caithness 6years, so have been an incomer somewhere or other most of my life, This is the only place that really feels like home. We have wonderful neighbours, have met a lot of great people [ local & incomers] My only complaint is PLEASE FILL THE POTHOLES IN

mi16
29-Apr-12, 21:01
I was born in Northamptonshire, moved to Oxfordshire when I was 21, stayed 13 years, moved to Mid Wales, stayed 18 years, & have lived in Caithness 6years, so have been an incomer somewhere or other most of my life, This is the only place that really feels like home. We have wonderful neighbours, have met a lot of great people [ local & incomers] My only complaint is PLEASE FILL THE POTHOLES IN

That aint potholes son, that be incomer traps

Tangerine-Dream
29-Apr-12, 21:13
Not sure I'd want to change anything really. I'd like to see a few additions / improvements though.... number 1 on the list would be more dentists in the area. When it gets to the point where you are contemplating BUYING teeth off ebay you know there's a big problem with the state of the NHS dentistry up here (and, yes, it is in a state!) we are all entitled to be registered with an NHS dentist (of our choice) but not up here apparantly.

Number 2 on the list would be an improvement to the roads or, more specifically..... new surfaces on the roads. We all pay road tax but for what? to drive about over potholes? It's not as if the place needs illuminated traffic signs or anything "expensive"... all that's required is some tar.... go anywhere in the UK and "roadworks" are an ongoing thing.... up here the motorist appears to be paying road tax for nothing in return apart from a bumpy ride.

Number 3 would be to get rid of Tesco... they are "incomers" who will do the most damage to the place. I hope that Tesco next to the train station in Thurso never goes ahead..... Passengers getting off the train looking at a big "welcome to TESCO" sign.... pretty much sums up the whole of the UK... the beauty of this place is that it hasn't been ruined like the rest of the country, go anywhere in the UK and it's all the same... Tesco, Macdonalds, KFC, B&Q etc. etc. etc..... Thurso is one of the few places left that hasn't been destroyed by these joints.

Number 4: Make it a CRIME for staff in the Co-Op to ask you if you have a "membership card"..... make it a hangable offence if they say "would you like one?"..... EVERY time I go in there the same woman asks me if I have one, I tell her "no".... without fail she asks "would you like one?" No I wouldn't, I'd like to get out of here ASAP! That Co-Op car park should be renamed Dodge city.... I've had more "near hits" in there than anywhere else, what is it with that place? Do the drivers go into some type of valium trance as soon as they enter it? There's was a woman today in one of those humungous jeep type things who actually MOUNTED the pavement and drove across it onto the road.... WTF? Last week I actually had to blow my horn on a guy who was reversing right into my parked car.... he was looking straight ahead and reversing with the "hope I don't hit into anything" reversing technique... he nearly shat himself when I honked at him.... is it just me or does anybody else find the Co-Op car park a kinda "twilight zone" when it comes to bad drivers?

Number 5: A decent doner kebab. What the hell part of "doner kebab" does any of the doner kebabs you buy up here resemble? Pitta bread, some seriously RANK / low grade doner "meat", ladles of blood red sauce and "cabbage".... erm, that, in no way, is a doner kebab.... it's not even a pig's breakfast, it's an absolute disgrace. "would you like salad?" a simple enough question and I say "yes please"..... they then pile on half a grated CABBAGE..... erm, excuse me, my idea of "salad" is more along the lines of lettuce, tomato, cucumber, onions etc.... a good kebab will always have some fresh mint and a pickled chille too.... CABBAGE??

They then ask you if you'd like "chille sauce"..... yes I would...... they ladle about a pint of this red, soup like substance, over it and hand it over to you..... I'll say it again, that is NOT a doner kebab.... that is a load of absolute crap sitting on top of a piece of sauce soaked pitta bread... the "locals" seem to like them so I daren't complain being an incomer ;)

In one way it's a shame that the "locals" have not been exposed to a good kebab... they are happy with what they know.... in another it's good that they have not been exposed to a good kebab. Us "incomers" know our kebabs but it will take a long time to convince the "locals" that salad consists of more than cabbage.... I believe that "beetroot" is considered a fruit up here ;) Deep fried battered beetroot is the ultimate in cuisine, apparantly.

Apart from those few minor gripes I'm happy with my lot..... I forgot to mention the weather but I'm sure everyone knows that people up here are so miserable looking because of the lack of sunshine..... we can't control the weather BUT we can campaign for proper salad on kebabs, good roads, dentists, non beetroot eating zones, beetroot farms etcetera etcetera.....

Incomers and locals..... Let me quote from the scriptures of "McCartney"

"Ebony and ivory live together in perfect harmony"

We could even go one further and:

"feed the world" (let me hear you singing!)

Good thread Ducati.

RecQuery
29-Apr-12, 21:16
Sort of related but on a side note one thing I dislike are people who retire to, or move to rural locations to 'get away from it all' and then oppose any industrial or economic development in the area regardless of individual merit they just have blanket opposition.

Tangerine-Dream
29-Apr-12, 21:27
Sort of related but on a side note one thing I dislike are people who retire to, or move to rural locations to 'get away from it all' and then oppose any industrial or economic development in the area regardless of individual merit they just have blanket opposition.

Kinda rules out "Wick" as a retirement home of choice.... I didn't realise there was ANY industrial or economic development going down there? The only chance Wick has for survival is IF incomers choose to invest in the area... who in their right mind would want to retire to "Wick"? I'd rather boil my head in hot oil than "retire" in Wick.... what a dump!

pig whisperer
29-Apr-12, 21:58
To m16 Im actually a mrs, tangerine dream you seem a little tense, a walk along Reiss Beach might make you relax a bit. I have to confess, Ive never eaten a kebeb or had a close encounter with scary drivers in the co-op car park [Im with you on the store card tho] people do move to new areas moan about it for a few years then move away, probably to moan about the new place

crayola
29-Apr-12, 23:03
What Thurso needs is a new venture on the former mart site. this could be the time to bring forward my planned Caithness and Sutherland School of Witchcraft. The mart is close to the high school and also to North Highland College. We could share facilities and in particular broomstick maintenance classes. :) I'm considering instructing my lawyers to contact Tesco's legal department this week. Would there be much local support for this?

Torvaig
29-Apr-12, 23:12
Kinda rules out "Wick" as a retirement home of choice.... I didn't realise there was ANY industrial or economic development going down there? The only chance Wick has for survival is IF incomers choose to invest in the area... who in their right mind would want to retire to "Wick"? I'd rather boil my head in hot oil than "retire" in Wick.... what a dump!

The thing is T-D; none of us are really locals. We are descended from the poor creatures who escaped from Portgower at the turn of the last century and we are still a developing tribe who watch Coronation Street and Eastenders to copy their mannerisms to try and make us blend in with all you newcomers. We have also married many of you over the last 60 years so technically, in a few generations, we will all be locals!

secrets in symmetry
29-Apr-12, 23:20
There must be 4th generation atomics in Thurso by now. Are they locals, or are they still atomics?

Torvaig
29-Apr-12, 23:47
To tell the truth I haven't heard the word "atomics" since a long while. I think it is only used on here!

ducati
30-Apr-12, 06:27
What Thurso needs is a new venture on the former mart site. this could be the time to bring forward my planned Caithness and Sutherland School of Witchcraft. The mart is close to the high school and also to North Highland College. We could share facilities and in particular broomstick maintenance classes. :) I'm considering instructing my lawyers to contact Tesco's legal department this week. Would there be much local support for this?

Arr Crayola, I'm just putting the finishing touches to my Caithness Space Centre and Sushi bar plan for the Mart. The idea was to combine 22nd century technology, as I saw it as an ideal launch site along the lines of Peenemunde , and truly modern and quality fast food utilising localy caught traditional produce. The idea is to launch high altitude orbiting creels to catch any space lobsters and crabs that might be about. I'm not competing with witches though. :eek:

Tangerine-Dream
30-Apr-12, 21:18
Just thought of another thing I'd change.... the midges! Not so much "change" but totally obliterate. Horrible things and seemingly impossible to wipe out... I bought a Sheen paraffin flamegun last year (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br1ZPJ8oQxY) and totally torched some parts of the garden.... did in about 20 gallons of paraffin (and that stuff isn't cheap) and it seemed to do the trick..... thing is, I would like to sit out in the sun (when it eventually arrives) and not have to walk about the garden sporting a flamethrower..... Don't believe the hype about these things destroying weeds either, they came up even STRONGER after I scorched the arse out of them..... I think I'll have to bite the bullet and get some industrial grade weedkiller..... definitely seemed to keep the midges down though, I must have scorched thousands of the little bustards. If anyone is interested, you can also run the Sheen flamegun with kerosene so the stuff you use for your central heating can be used to scorch the hell out of midge colonies, it's also cheaper than paraffin.

Totally off topic but can anybody recommend the best place to get some industrial strength weedkiller? (nudge nudge wink wink) I'll pay cash, no questions asked ;) That stuff they sell in garden centres is just too damned expensive and you get enough to de-weed a window box in a packet.... no good, I'm looking for the under the counter gear, the stuff that comes with a skull and cross bones on the label.

Whilst I'm at it, is there such a thing as GRASS killer? I detest mowing the stuff, it seems so pointless and a total waste of energy... as soon as you chop it down it grows back again.... I don't, so much, want to kill it.... more a case of stunting it's growth..... give it ONE cut, spray some gear on it and it stays the same height for the entire summer type gig. More of a growth retardant type chemical than a "killer".

You may have gathered that I hate gardening (or more specifically, "weeding") and wandering about aimlessly, pulling out weeds, mowing grass and getting eaten alive by midges is not the way I want to spend my summer so any chemical tips will be greatly appreciated...... "organic" I am not, if I can grow a prize winning cabbage with chemicals then I'd rather do that than tit about with tin foil, jam jars, scarecrows and dung etc....

I was right into the gardening lark when I first moved up here, grew a load of vegetables, was outside ALL the time.... got totally obsessed with gardening.... I was even giving potatoes away I had that many.... I don't know what happened but I now hate going into the garden with a view to "working" on it. Been here for 7 years so maybe the seven year itch kicking in? Full of energy when I first arrived but now feeling like everything is a chore.

It's probably an age thing, the male menopause, I don't know BUT I "do" know that I have become a lot less particular since moving here.... a lot less enthusiastic, a bit more mellow, a bit more tolerant of "people", a bit more compassionate..... I've also turned into a totally different person..... am I happy? No (who is?) am I content? not really. Am I questioning what I am doing up here in sheep land? YES.

As much as I like sheep, and everything that goes toward the making / upkeep of sheep I must confess that it's not my "thing"..... It takes a certain type of person to farm sheep, they are up at 4am and work till 12pm 7 days a week.... I have nothing in common with that but respect them for the hard work they do..... I'm more used to kicking in about midday and retiring early evening..... My local sheep farmer has me down as a lazy type BUT that's to be expected.... he's used to working on the land, all the time.... it must seem quite alien (to him) to see this guy living a good life without having to herd sheep 25/8/366..... not a problem from my end but he seems to think I should be "out there" working like a "man".... he even called me a "pussy" when I said I was going to get a gardener in this year ;-)

Erm.... if managing to live my life without driving about in a tractor for 15 hours a day makes me a pussy then I'm happy to be called that ;)

Not so much a clash of English V Scottish.... more a clash of brains over brawn.... I think this is what annoys the locals most ;-)

PantsMAN
01-May-12, 18:27
I came to Caithness over 35 years ago from elsewhere in Scotland.

I wish to disassociate myself from all those above who just don't get it!

crayola
01-May-12, 23:49
Arr Crayola, I'm just putting the finishing touches to my Caithness Space Centre and Sushi bar plan for the Mart. The idea was to combine 22nd century technology, as I saw it as an ideal launch site along the lines of Peenemunde , and truly modern and quality fast food utilising localy caught traditional produce. The idea is to launch high altitude orbiting creels to catch any space lobsters and crabs that might be about. I'm not competing with witches though. :eek:Who needs an old rocket base and raw Japanese creels when you have indigenous Caithness broomsticks and flying wheelie bins? I will outsource you on the ground before you can say Samantha. :)

squidge
02-May-12, 00:48
Aha now what Caithness really needs is for Dirlot Castle to reveal its secret.

riggerboy
02-May-12, 06:47
i would take all incomers outside and shoot them in front of their children,

remove all traces of them and the kin from our county, as far as im concerned there is no room for them, leaches the lot of them, cant understand why the lot of you dont just off, your not welcome nor wanted,

boot them all out now,,,,

hooks out

well apart from the english and welsh friends of mine coz they are alright but the rest of ye can go hang

squidge
02-May-12, 07:11
Sheesh ill get me coat lol

Restlessnative
02-May-12, 15:59
As a resident (don't want to offend even the hyper sensitive) there are two things that we desperately need. 1 being more jobs to keep the young talented people here as the county is slowly turning into an old folks home. 2 we need to cut out the dead wood be resident or non resident as there's some right worthies kicking about these days since tesco appeared :)

secrets in symmetry
02-May-12, 23:49
To tell the truth I haven't heard the word "atomics" since a long while. I think it is only used on here!You're right - everyone else calls them "incomers" lol....

ducati
22-May-12, 16:26
I have to confess to never having eaten a Donner Kabab in my life. I look at the (donkey?) 'meat' half cooking on that turntable thing and think that looks like a ticket to A & E to me, poss even Raigmore. Let's face it, life is risky enough!

shazzap
22-May-12, 17:09
i would take all incomers outside and shoot them in front of their children,

remove all traces of them and the kin from our county, as far as im concerned there is no room for them, leaches the lot of them, cant understand why the lot of you dont just off, your not welcome nor wanted,

boot them all out now,,,,

hooks out

well apart from the english and welsh friends of mine coz they are alright but the rest of ye can go hang

Iv'e already gone. Na na na na naaaaaaaaaaaa