PDA

View Full Version : Lamb needing help - Pennyland Farm

Claireabelle
28-Apr-12, 18:01
Does anyone know who the sheep in the fields at Pennyland farm belong to? There is a lamb who seems to have accidentally got himself in to the wrong field and he doesn't seem to be too happy about it. I would sleep much easier tonight knowing he was back with his Mummy. Thank you :)

porshiepoo
28-Apr-12, 19:17
Don't know the area but try not to worry too much. The lambs are constantly getting themselves stuck in the wrong field here but they always find their way back eventually. They won't stay stuck for long!

Torvaig
28-Apr-12, 22:09
Farmers check their sheep several times a day especially during lambing time and I'm sure the little wanderer will be returned to his mum and siblings ere long.

Sleep well tonight!

ywindythesecond
28-Apr-12, 22:46
One of the most poignant moments at the recent Spittal Hill Windfarm Public Local Inquiry was when a local man explained that when he was a boy, he and his father would go out last thing at night and listen for lost lambs and put them back with their mothers. He explained that it was no longer possible to hear the lambs from a distance due to the noise from the Causeymire Windfarm, and he now had to visit the fields to see if any had been separated.

Claireabelle
29-Apr-12, 08:20
Thank you everyone for your reassurance. The farmer came and saved him shortly before 10pm :)

I find that really interesting ywindythesecond, this is the first time I've ever come across a lamb that has been separated from it's mother and both lamb on one side, and mother on the other side of the wall were very vocal. On a still night I imagine that sound must travel a fair distance. I've always been a believer that sheep are stupid but from what I saw last night I think they are smarter than they let on at times. I hope no little lambs have died as a result of the turbines. :(

Fran
29-Apr-12, 10:32
Not so long ago I watched farmers empty the field of sheep and there was one poor lamb all on its own. I was puzzled. Then they let the sheep back in AND I WAS WORRIED THE LAMB WOULD BE TRAMPLED. Then I saw the lamb reunited with his mum. He was the only lamb in the field and had lost his mum, and this was the way to reunite them.So lovely to watch.

ywindythesecond
29-Apr-12, 11:16
Thank you everyone for your reassurance. The farmer came and saved him shortly before 10pm :)

I find that really interesting ywindythesecond, this is the first time I've ever come across a lamb that has been separated from it's mother and both lamb on one side, and mother on the other side of the wall were very vocal. On a still night I imagine that sound must travel a fair distance. I've always been a believer that sheep are stupid but from what I saw last night I think they are smarter than they let on at times. I hope no little lambs have died as a result of the turbines. :(

I am sure they haven't Claireabelle, it just makes it more work for the farmer. The lamb is no longer lost but that quality of life enjoyed by the farmer is gone for ever.

pat
29-Apr-12, 13:04
Crofter put his sheep and lambs in field next to me yesterday, one managed to creep into my field, noticed him about 5 pm last night, poor thing bleated all night but when crofter came to feed sheep, the lamb managed to get under the fence again no problem - this was after an evening of throwing itself bodily at the fence in attempts to get back to its mother!