View Full Version : False rape accused excapes prison

27-Apr-12, 15:38
Police have enough to do investigating crimes that have happened without those that haven't - sheriff

A WOMAN, who falsely cried rape, was given a chance by a sheriff today.
But Sheriff Andrew Berry impressed on Jane Steven: “This is a very serious matter. The police have more than enough to do investigating crimes that have been committed without doing a lot of work on those that haven’t.”
Steven, of Lindsay Court, Wick, admitted making the false claim and causing officers to devote time and services, and expense, unnecessarily, to an investigation.
The court was told that the 41-year-old arrived home from a night out on July 21 and encountered her son at the door of their home. She told him she had been raped and he, “quite properly”, informed the police.
Senior fiscal depute, David Barclay, said that the allegation had set in motion a chain of events and “a significant amount of time and resources” were devoted to the investigation which involved Steven undergoing a medical examination by a doctor in a police victim suite and being referred to a counsellor. A considerable number of door-to-door inquiries were carried out and mobile phone traffic was assessed.
However, in the course of inquiries, it was noted that there were a number of inconsistencies in the various pieces of evidence put together which was not unusual in such traumatic experiences.
Mr Barclay said: “The police sought to have these clarified but the accused, to some extent beat them to the punch. Months later, on November 2, Steven attended, voluntary, at the police station and confirmed that the details she had given to officers, earlier, were, in fact, false. She indicated she was going through a period she described as “mental turmoil” and had made the rape allegation to her son order to get family support.”
Steven that found herself in a difficult position after her son contacted the police and described herself as feeling “trapped in a corner” when officers followed up her son’s report.
Mr Barclay added that the cost of the fruitless police investigation ran into a five-figure sum. He added: “It is fortunate that further resources were not devoted to it.”
Solicitor Sylvia MacLennan told the court today that Steven was a person of good character had suffered “a great deal of anxiety” over the offence which had come “out of the blue”. A number of people whom she previously knew, had since held back from associating with her and were “bewildered” at how she had got herself into the situation and its “terrible consequences". Steven was currently receiving medication for a heart condition and asthma.
Putting forward a plea for a community related sentence Miss MacLennan said: “The accused accepts that there has to be an element of punishment as it is a serious matter.”
Steven was ordered to carry out 150 hours of unpaid work in the community under the supervision of a social worker and has to co-operate with any assistance given, including imput from mental health advisors, if required.