PDA

View Full Version : From the Leveson Inquiry re: Salmond and Murdoch...........

whitechina
25-Apr-12, 21:27
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-17844244

Corrie 3
25-Apr-12, 21:41
Yawn!!!!

Is that all you can do, post links? Do you not want to discuss your links at all?

C3.......(shaking head in amazement)......:roll::roll:

RecQuery
26-Apr-12, 08:02
Yawn!!!!

Is that all you can do, post links? Do you not want to discuss your links at all?

C3.......(shaking head in amazement)......:roll::roll:

That link has nothing to do with Salmond really beyond him being mentioned peripherally. I suspect this account is trying to have some sort of influence on the council elections or is just a sock puppet for some other members. It's just link spam, best to ignore it.

I see about 5 to 7 similar links of a daily basis I could post. Unless it's particularly interesting I usually don't.

John Little
26-Apr-12, 08:35
Even if it were to do directly with Alec Salmond, I should be extremely surprised if he did not have close links with the owners of the Press. It is usual for political leaders to do so - indeed it would be naive and foolish of them not to.

Whether having enough money to buy a newspaper should qualify a person to be in the counsels of the great and the good is entirely another matter, but the owners of the media act as if it does.

While this situation lasts, politicians must woo them - or fail.

Alrock
26-Apr-12, 08:44
So basically... What he is saying... is that... in a canny move he decides which way the country is leaning, throws his weight that way & then takes all the credit for it....

Or on other words... Whatever it takes to maximise profits... No scruples involved.

Phill
26-Apr-12, 09:43
Scruples - Murdoch .....not quite fitting together really!

The press and politicos have always had a close relationship, as John points out. It's part of the gameplaying that is politics, how do you think things are 'leaked' to the press when one party or another wants to get one up.
Murdoch et al, have been thrown to the wolves. And they're not going to take it lying down, Salmond, Cameron, Miliband and their cohorts have a very difficult game to play now. Publicly they have to berate the media for their tactics whilst privately needing the media (and the same tactics) to support their causes.

I suspect a few more revealing statements from Murdoch yet and news stories forcing ministers to resign, just to show them who's boss.

Anyway, what is whitechina's view on all this?

RecQuery
26-Apr-12, 09:52
So basically... What he is saying... is that... in a canny move he decides which way the country is leaning, throws his weight that way & then takes all the credit for it....

Or on other words... Whatever it takes to maximise profits... No scruples involved.

It's a modification of what Murdoch used to do and still does in places outside the UK which is back who was going to win anyway and then convince them they wouldn't have won without his help and so owe him.