PDA

View Full Version : Pets at home

groatsgirl
16-Nov-06, 23:52
Hi

Does anyone know if pets at home have frozen mice for snakes. I thought i saw them in inverness but not 100% sure.

Cheers

dirdyweeker
17-Nov-06, 01:17
don't know but they were open for business on Thursday. Lots of bunny rabbits and hamsters! Very well stocked on the tropical fish line too. I think the pets in Caithness are going to be well off this Christmas.
:lol:

neepnipper
17-Nov-06, 09:49
No, we are not selling frozen mice. We opened yesterday and are open today (Friday), official opening is Saturday with free balloons, stickers, face painting and caricaturist.

Look forward to seeing everyone!

jaykay
17-Nov-06, 10:46
don't know but they were open for business on Thursday. Lots of bunny rabbits and hamsters! Very well stocked on the tropical fish line too. I think the pets in Caithness are going to be well off this Christmas.
:lol:

Give your snake a treat and give him some nice fresh live hamsters instead of frozen mice. You may also be able to get live mice from the pet shop.

Whitewater
17-Nov-06, 11:48
Yea, snakes like hamsters.

candyfloss
17-Nov-06, 11:56
I was in a look at the shop yesterday and was very impressed,
only thing is my youngest is now shouting for a hamster and says if i won't buy her one she'll save up her money and buy one herself :lol:
I'm sure our two cats will be delighted :eek:

Piglet
17-Nov-06, 12:16
I think i will be making a visit there tomorrow - as i have just found my daughters hamster dead - so she will probably want another 1. :(

calish6
17-Nov-06, 12:29
Candyfloss

Cats and Hamsters can get on well !! Sometimes !! lol

http://imagearmy.com/images.php/i1397_catandhamster.jpg

henry20
17-Nov-06, 12:32
I used to have hamsters - the dwarf ones - and I'd left my bedroom door open. Next thing I knew, the cat had carried it downstairs! I got such a fright and assumed that it was dead that I sent my parents to retrieve it. Luckily for the hamster, my cat had only got to the playing with its dinner stage and the hamster lived happily ever after until it reached old age! :lol:

candyfloss
17-Nov-06, 12:43
Candyfloss

Cats and Hamsters can get on well !! Sometimes !! lol

http://imagearmy.com/images.php/i1397_catandhamster.jpg
Maybe they would,
we have two little finches and they don't go near them :D
I think a hamster would look a bit too tasty though.

neepnipper
17-Nov-06, 13:30
I think i will be making a visit there tomorrow - as i have just found my daughters hamster dead - so she will probably want another 1. :(

Are you sure its dead and not gone in to a deep sleep which they can do if they get too cold?

My sister once dug a hole to bury her daughters hamster which she thought was dead, she put the hamster in the hole and then saw it move! It just needed warming up! (I feel like that sometimes!)

krieve
17-Nov-06, 13:35
Tell me you don't sell dogs or the kids will be wanting one. ;) lol

Piglet
17-Nov-06, 14:12
Are you sure its dead and not gone in to a deep sleep which they can do if they get too cold?

My sister once dug a hole to bury her daughters hamster which she thought was dead, she put the hamster in the hole and then saw it move! It just needed warming up! (I feel like that sometimes!)

No its definetly dead. :(

House is quite warm it stays at the same temp all the time as if not heating comes.

angela5
17-Nov-06, 15:53

Was in today a look, they have a lovely selection of hamsters.:D

gary.b
17-Nov-06, 17:05
Give your snake a treat and give him some nice fresh live hamsters instead of frozen mice. You may also be able to get live mice from the pet shop.

You might find thats illegal.

henry20
17-Nov-06, 17:10
You might find thats illegal.

Is it? :confused What about spiders to dogs? My hubby always gets my dog to eat them :lol:

Piglet
17-Nov-06, 17:10
Was in today a look, they have a lovely selection of hamsters.:D

Thanks angela5.

She now wants a kitten so its off to Balmore tomorrow instead.

henry20
17-Nov-06, 17:12
Thanks angela5.

She now wants a kitten so its off to Balmore tomorrow instead.

They had loads the last time I was there - be careful you don't want to take them all home! I would've had 2, but my dog won't let me :(

Piglet
17-Nov-06, 17:15
They had loads the last time I was there - be careful you don't want to take them all home! I would've had 2, but my dog won't let me :(

I called & they said they had loads but we are only taking 1 as have a 1yr old cat, 3 birds & a rabbit.:D

taylor.4
17-Nov-06, 18:07
I was in a look at the shop yesterday and was very impressed,
only thing is my youngest is now shouting for a hamster and says if i won't buy her one she'll save up her money and buy one herself :lol:
I'm sure our two cats will be delighted :eek:My daughters the same, also wants a hampster, she says that if she gets any money for christmas shes going to buy herself a hamster and a cage.

Fluff
17-Nov-06, 18:33
Guinea pigs are so much nicer than hamsters! they live longer, they are not nocturnal and dont bite (as far as i am aware)
you can train them too.

When i had guinea pigs, if i left the room (or enter) they would squeak like mad! they also used to run to me when out lol

connieb19
17-Nov-06, 18:49
I'm a bit dissapointed they're going to be selling hamsters and rabbits. They look all cute and cuddly in the shop but the novelty wears off after about a couple of weeks for most kids. :( I also don't think people should be encouraged to give pets for Christmas presents.

Liz
17-Nov-06, 19:15
I'm a bit dissapointed they're going to be selling hamsters and rabbits. They look all cute and cuddly in the shop but the novelty wears off after about a couple of weeks for most kids. :( I also don't think people should be encouraged to give pets for Christmas presents.

I totally agree with you and really hoped that they weren't going to sell pets.

You are so right in saying that the novelty usually wears off, especially when they find they have to clean their cages out etc.
I feel so sorry for rabbits especially ,as they are the most neglected pet and, after a while, are usually just left alone in a hutch in the garden.:(

I know there will be exceptions and there are many hamster and rabbit owners etc who love their pets and really care for them but, sadly, for the majority this is not the case so I don't think these animals should be 'on display' like the toys etc.

It will put me off shopping there to be honest!

unicorn
17-Nov-06, 19:57
I absolutely agree with the thoughts of them selling pets. I breed rabbits and sometimes put excess show stock to pet homes but I vet people as well as possible before I will allow them to have a rabbit and I provide a full care booklet and their regular food and the new owners always know they can come back or call any time for advice. I feel there are far too many spur of the moment buys in petshops. New owners are also told that I will take the rabbit back at any time. There is far too little information given out by petstores and most of them want rabbits at 8 weeks and mine are still with mum at that age, I keep them until 12 weeks minimum and longer if I don't feel they are ready. There is also the fact that these animals get used to the indoors heat and have a really hard time adjusting especially at this time of the year when it is cold. Another point to add is that I was in pets at home in Inverness last week and there was a stupid woman letting her bulldog snort all over the young rabbits and guineas and they were obviously scared by the noise and smell yet the staff stood petting the dog instead of asking her to move it away.

Liz
17-Nov-06, 20:02
w
I absolutely agree with the thoughts of them selling pets. I breed rabbits and sometimes put excess show stock to pet homes but I vet people as well as possible before I will allow them to have a rabbit and I provide a full care booklet and their regular food and the new owners always know they can come back or call any time for advice. I feel there are far too many spur of the moment buys in petshops. New owners are also told that I will take the rabbit back at any time. There is far too little information given out by petstores and most of them want rabbits at 8 weeks and mine are still with mum at that age, I keep them until 12 weeks minimum and longer if I don't feel ythey are ready. There is also the fact that these animals get used to the indoors heat and have a really hard time adjusting especially at this time of the year when it is cold.

You were one of the exceptions I meant Unicorn as I can tell that you really care about your rabbits.
I know that the people who work in Pets At Home are animal lovers and the animals will be really well cared for whilst they are in the store but they are not going to be able to vet new owners and follow up on them like you and this worries me.
Also I don't think it can be good for them to be subjected to all the noise etc in a store especially since hamsters are nocturnal?

Just as a matter of interest do you think rabbits are best kept as house pets or outside?

unicorn
17-Nov-06, 20:37
They do well either way BUT they are either indoors or outdoors you cannot do both as their coats need to be thick enough to withstand the cold or thin enough to withstand the heat comfortably and that is gradual to the temperatures they are used to. Rabbits make great housepets as they can be easily litter tray trained and believe it or not can be as loving as any cat or dog. Larger rabbits make better houserabbits just for the fact that they are easily seen and tend to be more laid back. The main problem with houserabbits is ensuring all cables are out of their way. Another issue in the house would be if you had a buck you would have to neuter him as when he reaches sexual maturity there is a big chance that he will start to spray you to show you how much he loves you :) I have a couple of stud bucks that do that and they live in bottom row hutches as an eyeful of wee just aint nice.The only time I advise owners to take their rabbits in is if the temperature drops to about minus 3 and then I just advise they are taken into the shed or a cold porch. Otherwise a lovely thick bed of straw that they can burrow into does them just fine.

neepnipper
17-Nov-06, 23:01
Would just like to say that all of us working at Pets at Home are trained to ask loads of questions when someone wants to buy an animal, if there is any doubt that it will not be cared for then we do not sell that person the animal.

We also do not encourage people to buy animals as Christmas presents, it just isn't fair on the animal.

As an animal lover myself there is no way I would work at Pets at Home if they just sold animals to everyone and anyone without doing a good job making sure it was going to be looked after.

The hamsters are in self contained air conditioned units and have houses where they can go and snuggle up to go to sleep whenever they want to.

At Pets at Home the animals come first, I hope this reassures everyone.

Liz
17-Nov-06, 23:42
Would just like to say that all of us working at Pets at Home are trained to ask loads of questions when someone wants to buy an animal, if there is any doubt that it will not be cared for then we do not sell that person the animal.

We also do not encourage people to buy animals as Christmas presents, it just isn't fair on the animal.

As an animal lover myself there is no way I would work at Pets at Home if they just sold animals to everyone and anyone without doing a good job making sure it was going to be looked after.

The hamsters are in self contained air conditioned units and have houses where they can go and snuggle up to go to sleep whenever they want to.

At Pets at Home the animals come first, I hope this reassures everyone.

Thanks a lot! That is very reassuring and I know that you and Laura (and I'm sure the rest of the staff) will care for them really well.

Phew I can come shopping now!!!!

neepnipper
18-Nov-06, 09:13
I absolutely agree with the thoughts of them selling pets. I breed rabbits and sometimes put excess show stock to pet homes but I vet people as well as possible before I will allow them to have a rabbit and I provide a full care booklet and their regular food and the new owners always know they can come back or call any time for advice. I feel there are far too many spur of the moment buys in petshops. New owners are also told that I will take the rabbit back at any time. There is far too little information given out by petstores and most of them want rabbits at 8 weeks and mine are still with mum at that age, I keep them until 12 weeks minimum and longer if I don't feel they are ready. There is also the fact that these animals get used to the indoors heat and have a really hard time adjusting especially at this time of the year when it is cold. Another point to add is that I was in pets at home in Inverness last week and there was a stupid woman letting her bulldog snort all over the young rabbits and guineas and they were obviously scared by the noise and smell yet the staff stood petting the dog instead of asking her to move it away.

Would just like to add that we will not sell a rabbit to someone at this time of year if they say they are going to keep it outside, it's too cold and the rabbits we sell have been used to living indoors. We always give out a care leaflet with pets that are sold and customers can come back to us at any time if they need help or advice. We tell them what we feed them on and encourage them to feed them the same food or to change over gradually if they want to feed them something different.
I was sorry to hear about the women and her dog in Inverness with the rabbits, hopefully that won't happen in Wick. We are a dedicated team who aim to give as much help and advice as possible.

unicorn
18-Nov-06, 11:48
thats great to hear neepnipper :) Keep up the good work.

unicorn
18-Nov-06, 18:33
I went through today and their face painting was beside the rabbits and guineas so the poor animals had to put up with squads of kids queuing right round the pens all day to get their faces painted. Who's bright idea was that. I complained to a staff member at the checkout who said its nothing to do with me I am just up from Inverness for the day what a caring attitude.

Liz
18-Nov-06, 18:40
I went through today and their face painting was beside the rabbits and guineas so the poor animals had to put up with squads of kids queuing right round the pens all day to get their faces painted. Who's bright idea was that. I complained to a staff member at the checkout who said its nothing to do with me I am just up from Inverness for the day what a caring attitude.

Oh for goodness sake that was so thoughtless!!!

I really hope that our locals will have a more caring attitude and look after them better.

It will really put me off shopping there otherwise!

Would it not have been better to put them away in an area by themselves ie away from the main shopping area?

unicorn
18-Nov-06, 18:43
well I did say that and at that point hubby told me to be quiet :) sometimes I embarass the poor man when I see something like that and it annoys me I just gotta tell them what I think :)

Liz
18-Nov-06, 18:52
Good for you!
Someone has to speak up for the poor animals!!! Even though it does embarrass hubby!:lol:

I really hope this gets sorted out as it is putting me off shopping there which is a shame as I felt so reassured by Neepnipper's reply.

connieb19
18-Nov-06, 19:01
Well Done Unicorn for speaking up. I'm just couldn't bring myself to go in there today knowing those pets were there. I wonder how many people bought hamsters today for their kids not realising that most of them don't make good pets anyway. :(

Liz
18-Nov-06, 23:46
Well Done Unicorn for speaking up. I'm just couldn't bring myself to go in there today knowing those pets were there. I wonder how many people bought hamsters today for their kids not realising that most of them don't make good pets anyway. :(

Exactly right! They look so cute and, whilst they are lovely, they are nocturnal so will be sleeping when the kids want to play with them! They can also give quite a nasty bite.
I do think seeing these pets in the store will give plenty of the "Aahhhhhh" factor but,for many, the novelty will soon wear off when they get them home and then find they have to care for them and clean them out!

Neepnipper you kindly reassured us re the homing of the rabbits but what about the hamsters and guinea pigs?
Also why was the face painting situated right beside the rabbits?

I know you are not the spokesperson for Pets At Home but you do work there so would really appreciate your input again.

I am still not sure about shopping there because of this and, the way I keep changing my mind, the shop will need revolving doors!!!!

Fluff
19-Nov-06, 13:14
"I do think seeing these pets in the store will give plenty of the "Aahhhhhh" factor but,for many, the novelty will soon wear off when they get them home and then find they have to care for them and clean them out!"

thats where the parents come in and say "no, you are not getting a pet until you can look after it"

sam
19-Nov-06, 13:28
why is everyone having a go at pets at home for selling rabbits & gerbils , when the thurso pet shop has been selling them for years and yet no one has mentioned that on here.
so whats the difference then ? :confused
Thurso pet shop also has a tuck shop that was right next to where their monkey used to be and their rabbits, isnt that more of an issue than face painting next to the rabbits in pets at home.
and has anyone noticed the state of the aquariums in the thurso shop with dead fish and fish skeletons lying about in the tanks with the fish.
caithness has been crying out for a decent pet shop for years and now that they have one everyone is complaining about it, they cant be expected to get everything right first time after all no one is perfect although you wouldnt think so by some of those on the org

Tristan
19-Nov-06, 13:30
Some children will look after a pet others wont.
A good rule of thumb is, don't get a pet you don't want to look after yourself.

connieb19
19-Nov-06, 13:57
why is everyone having a go at pets at home for selling rabbits & gerbils , when the thurso pet shop has been selling them for years and yet no one has mentioned that on here.
so whats the difference then ? :confused
Thurso pet shop also has a tuck shop that was right next to where their monkey used to be and their rabbits, isnt that more of an issue than face painting next to the rabbits in pets at home.
and has anyone noticed the state of the aquariums in the thurso shop with dead fish and fish skeletons lying about in the tanks with the fish.
caithness has been crying out for a decent pet shop for years and now that they have one everyone is complaining about it, they cant be expected to get everything right first time after all no one is perfect although you wouldnt think so by some of those on the org
Sorry sam, I thought we were talking about Pets At Home here and not the pet shop in Thurso.
IMO just because the Thurso shop have been doing it for years dosnt make it right for Pets At Home to do it.
If you're so concerned about the shop in Thurso why dont you do something about it? :roll:

neepnipper
19-Nov-06, 14:00
I'm afraid I can't respond to why the face painter was situated next to the rabbits, I'm only part time and when I got in it was all up and running. a lot of the time the queue was going away from the bunnies and guineas and when it wasn't there were not any screaming kids that I heard (I was disguised as a giant cat had a good view on what was going on!). The bunnies and guineas are checked regularly and every time I looked in on them they were either asleep or just exhibiting normal behaviour ie. eating, drinking. They did not seem at all bothered by the customers. Kiddies and adults can only either look through the wire mesh sections or over the top which is high enough so that people can't reach in and touch the animals, kiddies cannot poke their fingers through to touch the animals.

Whenever we sell any animal, be it a rabbit, guinea, hamster, rat, gerbil or fish we always ask the customer plenty of questions and make sure they know what is involved, if we are in any doubt at all that the animal won't be properly cared for we will not sell that animal.

Same applies to guineas as to rabbits, we would not sell one if it was to be kept outside at this time of year.

Hamsters: we discourage parents from buying dwarf hamsters for young children as they are not suitable pets for little kids, they are too small and very quick and not that easy to handle. Syrian hamsters are better for younger kids as they are larger. Hamsters,rats and gerbils are all behind enclosed glass so cannot be poked etc. We tell potential owners that they are babies and will need gentle handling and will need to settle in for a few days before they try to pet them. Gerbils and rats are good to handle too for kids. We do not sell animals to anyone under 16.

Fish: Again, we ask lots of questions like what size tank you have, what type of fish are in it etc. We will do a free water test if anyone is not sure about their water quality.

A care leaflet is given to the customer and are available for customers to take if they want to consider purchasing an animal.

If we have done our job properly the customer will have a pet that they know how to look after, whats involved in its upkeep and that is a suitable pet for them.

In fact, on Saturday we didn't sell that many animals, most people were coming in to have a look around and buy a few bits for their own pets.

The animals are really well cared for by us and Pets at Home take animal welfare extremely seriously, I would not be working for them otherwise.

Staff are there to help and advise.

I hope this helps to reassure you.

JAWS
19-Nov-06, 14:00
Why is it that some pet owners assume that almost all other people have no idea about caring for pets?

Liz
19-Nov-06, 14:26
I'm afraid I can't respond to why the face painter was situated next to the rabbits, I'm only part time and when I got in it was all up and running. a lot of the time the queue was going away from the bunnies and guineas and when it wasn't there were not any screaming kids that I heard (I was disguised as a giant cat had a good view on what was going on!). The bunnies and guineas are checked regularly and every time I looked in on them they were either asleep or just exhibiting normal behaviour ie. eating, drinking. They did not seem at all bothered by the customers. Kiddies and adults can only either look through the wire mesh sections or over the top which is high enough so that people can't reach in and touch the animals, kiddies cannot poke their fingers through to touch the animals.

Whenever we sell any animal, be it a rabbit, guinea, hamster, rat, gerbil or fish we always ask the customer plenty of questions and make sure they know what is involved, if we are in any doubt at all that the animal won't be properly cared for we will not sell that animal.

Same applies to guineas as to rabbits, we would not sell one if it was to be kept outside at this time of year.

Hamsters: we discourage parents from buying dwarf hamsters for young children as they are not suitable pets for little kids, they are too small and very quick and not that easy to handle. Syrian hamsters are better for younger kids as they are larger. Hamsters,rats and gerbils are all behind enclosed glass so cannot be poked etc. We tell potential owners that they are babies and will need gentle handling and will need to settle in for a few days before they try to pet them. Gerbils and rats are good to handle too for kids. We do not sell animals to anyone under 16.

Fish: Again, we ask lots of questions like what size tank you have, what type of fish are in it etc. We will do a free water test if anyone is not sure about their water quality.

A care leaflet is given to the customer and are available for customers to take if they want to consider purchasing an animal.

If we have done our job properly the customer will have a pet that they know how to look after, whats involved in its upkeep and that is a suitable pet for them.

In fact, on Saturday we didn't sell that many animals, most people were coming in to have a look around and buy a few bits for their own pets.

The animals are really well cared for by us and Pets at Home take animal welfare extremely seriously, I would not be working for them otherwise.

Staff are there to help and advise.

I hope this helps to reassure you.

Thanks again Neepnipper. Glad you are working there!!!:D

Liz
19-Nov-06, 14:31
Why is it that some pet owners assume that almost all other people have no idea about caring for pets?

From many years being involved in animal welfare charities I know it is a sad fact that, for many people, the novelty wears off after getting a new pet and they are either neglected or abandoned.

Although we are supposed to be a nation of animal lovers sadly statistics from both the SSPCA and RSPCA don't back this up!

I am sure that the majority of people in Caithness who have pets do love and care for them.

young
19-Nov-06, 14:36
does anyone know the ages of the rabbits being sold at pets at home?

sam
19-Nov-06, 15:57
Sorry sam, I thought we were talking about Pets At Home here and not the pet shop in Thurso.
IMO just because the Thurso shop have been doing it for years dosnt make it right for Pets At Home to do it.
If you're so concerned about the shop in Thurso why dont you do something about it? :roll:

I know the thread is about pets at home connie, and i'm aware that just because other pet shops do it, that it doesnt make it right for pets at home to do it, but surely animal welfare is the issue here rather than who does what, and actually i have made complaints about the shop in thurso.
The biggest problem is not pet shops selling the animals, its more the people who buy them and then cant be bothered looking after them, but not all people are like that some do actually love and care for their pets.

JAWS
20-Nov-06, 09:26
From many years being involved in animal welfare charities I know it is a sad fact that, for many people, the novelty wears off after getting a new pet and they are either neglected or abandoned.

Although we are supposed to be a nation of animal lovers sadly statistics from both the SSPCA and RSPCA don't back this up!

I am sure that the majority of people in Caithness who have pets do love and care for them.I couldn't agree more that there are a few people who should'nt even be let loose with a pet cockroach.
It is those people who are the problem, not the suppliers or the vast majority of Pet Owners.

krieve
20-Nov-06, 11:54
So if pet shops shouldn't be allowed to sell pets who should be allowed to sell pets?:confused

unicorn
20-Nov-06, 14:04
I have no issue with petshops selling pets provided that the correct information is given out and prospective owners are advised of the proper care. Also that animals are of a decent age to be rehomed.

JAWS
20-Nov-06, 14:28
Is there anything to show that this hasn't been the case?

unicorn
20-Nov-06, 14:46
Only having been in there on Saturday, no I do not know that this is not the case as the animals were hiding when I was in as it wasn't normal to them to have all those children around them all day. It didn't give me personally the best impression of the place. Time will tell.

This link is for the British Rabbit Council code of conduct, This applies to all BRC member but nobody else eg petshops or non registered breeders. It has some good advice on it for anyone buying a rabbit as a pet http://www.thebrc.org/codes.htm

highlander
20-Nov-06, 15:59
So what difference is there when you have pet shows, or when rabbits, hens, ducks, are being shown at county shows? Surely its the same thing, people are milling around, kids even poking thier fingers at the pets.

unicorn
20-Nov-06, 16:05
The difference is these animals are not usually 8-12 weeks old and are reared to be used to all types of noise and handling. I always have music on in my shed and from day 1 baby rabbits are handled and introduced to different situations from a very young age. Also we have signs advising people against poking fingers in pens. I have not shown at the county show for a few years so I can't speak for it. I tend to stick to British rabbit council shows.

crashbandicoot1979
20-Nov-06, 16:16
Personally I think that pet shops should be for food, accessories etc only and that animals can only be bought from registered breeders. This would mean the animals would be well adjusted to handling etc when they are re-homed, plus only serious pet owners would be likely to bother, rather than people buying them on a whim because they look so cute. I have owned rats and hamsters in the past, training them to get used to handling is a nightmare because no one bothered with them in the shop. When I bought the rats, the wifey in the shop told me that no one had handled them because they were all scared of them!!!! Whereas when my hamster had babies, they were handled by me as soon as they were old enough so that when they were rehomed they were used to it.