PDA

View Full Version : Hopi Ear Candling

hez4
23-Apr-12, 13:56
Just wondering if anyone has had this treatment done?

I am considering it as a cure to painful sinuses and hayfever, but wanted any recommendations (or not) first.

Thanks.

Kodiak
23-Apr-12, 16:29
I would read either of the links below before you have this trearment :-

http://www.quackometer.net/blog/2008/03/hopi-ear-candling-removing-grey-goo.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ear_candling

Personally I would never let anyone stick a lighted candle in my ear, for any reason.

Mr P Cannop
23-Apr-12, 16:32
the lighted candle does not go into your ear its the wax

Kodiak
23-Apr-12, 16:53
the lighted candle does not go into your ear its the wax

This looks very safe having a lit candle in your ear, NOT.

http://i.imgur.com/iihDq.jpg

Corrie 3
23-Apr-12, 17:13
Most sensible Folk want to get rid of wax in the ear, not add to it!!!!!

C3.................:roll::roll:;)

spaceddaisy
23-Apr-12, 21:29
Read the above links. It's a load of quackery. In exactly the same bracket as homeopathy.

gleeber
23-Apr-12, 21:42
In case your puzzled the links can only be read with a third eye. I havnt got one so I canna see them.:eek:

Birons
23-Apr-12, 23:21
Was this treatment developed in Wick?

sassylass
24-Apr-12, 04:42
I tried ear candling once to relieve earache. The warm smoke going into my ear canal felt good as a temporary relief and that's all I can recommend. Ear candling does not remove ear wax nor does it cure earache. The Wikipedia explanation is spot on. Be very careful if you try it. Have someone help you and be sure to stick the candle through a paper plate so any drips of ash or wax fall on the plate, not your head.

RecQuery
24-Apr-12, 12:57
Buy one of these candles and burn it without sticking it in your ear you'll see the same 'toxins' as you would from putting it in your ear. That's because it's just wax. The Hopi tribe is very annoyed with these candles, they aren't a traditional, religious or cultural practice some corporation just stuck the name of the tribe on the candles. Incidentally it's the same deal with the brown water in various foot treatments. Any possible benefit would only be placebo.

On a side note I wish one of these dodgy pseudo-medical treatments would tell us what toxins in these sort of contexts are. Give us a chemical breakdown so that we can test it.

George Brims
24-Apr-12, 18:24
I'm surprised the Hopi have not sued. Some years ago our colleagues over at Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff, Arizona were building an instrument called HOPI for the SOFIA airborne observatory. They had a call and letter from a legal firm representing the Hopi Tribal Council. Some vegetable company were marketing their products as Hopi Brand, and the tribe were suing for trademark infringement. The lawyers explained that although they had no problem with the name of the instrument, it would undermine their legal case if they didn't sue the Observatory too. A quick rearrangement of the acronym and it became HIPO, saving the Hopi some lawyer money.
As for the candles, words fail me. I thought the Neti Pot and coffee enemas were as daft as it was going to get, but I really should have known better.

RecQuery
24-Apr-12, 18:46
This looks very safe having a lit candle in your ear, NOT.

There are actually quite a lot of medical dangers - http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/candling.html

I'm surprised the Hopi have not sued. Some years ago our colleagues over at Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff, Arizona were building an instrument called HOPI for the SOFIA airborne observatory. They had a call and letter from a legal firm representing the Hopi Tribal Council. Some vegetable company were marketing their products as Hopi Brand, and the tribe were suing for trademark infringement. The lawyers explained that although they had no problem with the name of the instrument, it would undermine their legal case if they didn't sue the Observatory too. A quick rearrangement of the acronym and it became HIPO, saving the Hopi some lawyer money.
As for the candles, words fail me. I thought the Neti Pot and coffee enemas were as daft as it was going to get, but I really should have known better.

I've debated creating Apache Arse Candles, see if I can get people to buy those.

Liz
24-Apr-12, 23:03
Read the above links. It's a load of quackery. In exactly the same bracket as homeopathy.

Homeopathy most certainly isn't 'quackery'. I use this with great success on my pets and placebos won't work on them.
It has also really helped my sinusitis whereas conventional medicine hasn't.

Kodiak
24-Apr-12, 23:09
Homeopathy most certainly isn't 'quackery'. I use this with great success on my pets and placebos won't work on them.

So are you really saying that putting a Lit Candle in your Ear has somehow helped your sinusitis?

Somehow I find this very hard to believe.

RecQuery
25-Apr-12, 08:08

First of all this is anecdotal, secondly in your case it could be placebo, thirdly human contact with animals has beneficial effects for the animals and administering the 'treatment' would require more contact, four lots of things go away on their own if left.

A 30C homeopathic preparation is a dilution of 1 in 10^60, which means a 1 followed by 60 zeroes, or to be clear a dilution of 1 in 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000, 000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000. They regularly sell 100C dilutions which they claim are even more powerful that the 30C ones.

To be blunt I'd be willing to drink a homeopathic preparation of any poison or other unfavourable ingredient at such a dilution because I wouldn't be drinking poison, at such a dilution I'd only be drinking water.

Alrock
25-Apr-12, 08:48
First of all this is anecdotal, secondly in your case it could be placebo, thirdly human contact with animals has beneficial effects for the animals and administering the 'treatment' would require more contact, four lots of things go away on their own if left.

A 30C homeopathic preparation is a dilution of 1 in 10^60, which means a 1 followed by 60 zeroes, or to be clear a dilution of 1 in 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000, 000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000. They regularly sell 100C dilutions which they claim are even more powerful that the 30C ones.

To be blunt I'd be willing to drink a homeopathic preparation of any poison or other unfavourable ingredient at such a dilution because I wouldn't be drinking poison, at such a dilution I'd only be drinking water.

Or on other words... Drinking tap water is like drinking a homoeopathic preparation of human urine as at that level of dilution it would probably only take one person to piss in Loch Calder to make up such a dilute preparation...

Liz
25-Apr-12, 12:14

Well if a placebo would work for me why didn't conventional medicine help?

Also, my animals get plenty of love and contact all the time and don't actually like me giving them remedies! I don't think that contact with me would make tartar crumble from off their teeth!

Just because we don't understand how it works doesn't mean it won't.

RecQuery
25-Apr-12, 12:34
Well if a placebo would work for me why didn't conventional medicine help?

Also, my animals get plenty of love and contact all the time and don't actually like me giving them remedies! I don't think that contact with me would make tartar crumble from off their teeth!

Just because we don't understand how it works doesn't mean it won't.

Thing is we do understand how it works and it doesn't. There have been countless reputable double-blind studies and clinical trials and they all disprove its effectiveness. Regarding placebo, it's a mix of things one component being the attention and consideration someone gets and on average Eastern/Alternative 'medicine' tends give individual more attention because they can't rely on proven scientific effectiveness of their solution.

Liz
25-Apr-12, 12:47
Thing is we do understand how it works and it doesn't. There have been countless reputable double-blind studies and clinical trials and they all disprove its effectiveness. Regarding placebo, it's a mix of things one component being the attention and consideration someone gets and on average Eastern/Alternative 'medicine' tends give individual more attention because they can't rely on proven scientific effectiveness of their solution.

Ok I repeat. How can getting more attention (impossible in my pets' case!) cause hardened tartar to crumble from a cat's teeth?

These double blind studies will no doubt have been carried out by drug companies who don't want us to know there are natural alternatives.

Also, I have been plagued with sinusitis all of my life and I bought the remedy myself so didn't receive 'attention and consideration'.

Liz
25-Apr-12, 13:12
So are you really saying that putting a Lit Candle in your Ear has somehow helped your sinusitis?

Somehow I find this very hard to believe.

No I didn't say that putting a candle in my ear helped my sinusitis. I said that homeopathy did. :)

Alrock
25-Apr-12, 13:13
Hmmmm..... "Occupation: Medically retired"

Why not stick a candle in your ear & chug on a glass of water & get yourself back into the job market?
Or is life too cushty on disability & if you did that you'd find yourself struggling on JSA like the rest of us unemployed scum?

Liz
25-Apr-12, 13:15

Why not stick a candle in your ear & chug on a glass of water & get yourself back into the job market?
Or is life too cushty on disability & if you did that you'd find yourself struggling on JSA?

You have absolutely NO right to make such disgusting and hurtful comments when you don't even know me.

Alrock
25-Apr-12, 13:20
All I'm saying is that either alternative medicine is not the cure all you seem to think it is or you are milking the system since you seem to think it is & should therefore be able to cure yourself....
So which is it?
Cure all or Cure not?

squidge
25-Apr-12, 13:20

Or is life too cushty on disability & if you did that you'd find yourself struggling on JSA like the rest of us unemployed scum?

Oh dear - here we go again. WHAT is the matter with people just now - threads are deteriorating into nastiness and unpleasantness at the drop of a hat, Was there really any call for that Alrock?

oag
25-Apr-12, 13:22
Back to the ear thing
my husband has had the treatment done he had very sore ears and it did help .He went to donnas place in wick and was very happy with it .

squidge
25-Apr-12, 13:22
So which is it?
Cure all or Cure not?

how about Cure Some? And what happened to live and let live? If it works for you then fine and dandy - if you ahve tried everything else and it hast worked then where's the harm?

Liz
25-Apr-12, 13:25
Back to the ear thing
my husband has had the treatment done he had very sore ears and it did help .He went to donnas place in wick and was very happy with it .

Glad it helped. :)

Liz
25-Apr-12, 13:26
All I'm saying is that either alternative medicine is not the cure all you seem to think it is or you are milking the system since you seem to think it is & should therefore be able to cure yourself....
So which is it?
Cure all or Cure not?

Could you please remove my quote as I reacted in anger and shouldn't have made the comments I did.

Alrock
25-Apr-12, 13:30
I must apologise for any offence caused... Maybe should have been a bit more tactful in trying to get my point across that alternative medicine is not the magic elixir that practitioners would like to have you believe.

Liz
25-Apr-12, 13:32
I must apologise for any offence caused... Maybe should have been a bit more tactful in trying to get my point across that alternative medicine is not the magic elixir that practitioners would like to have you believe.

Thanks. I appreciate that and thanks for removing my quote.

Maybe we have both learned to think before we type? :)

squidge
25-Apr-12, 13:33
Awwwww much better lol. You are right too Alrock - it isnt a magic elixir but if it works for some people then it might be worth trying in certain cases.

Liz
25-Apr-12, 13:36

To be honest I haven't come across any practitioners who have made out it is a magic elixir. As someone who has spent years on 'conventional' medicine with all the horrible side effects it's just nice to have a choice. :)

Alrock
25-Apr-12, 13:47
This is a good summary of my thoughts on alternative medicine....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjPlhb4f9P8

oldmarine
25-Apr-12, 15:09
George: Thanks for your clarification. The name Hopi made me think of the Hopi Tribe in Arizona. I thought it had a familiar ring.

Margaret M.
25-Apr-12, 16:21
Could you please remove my quote as I reacted in anger and shouldn't have made the comments I did.

I don't know what your comments were, Liz, but in light of the ignorance directed at you, I'm sure they were justified.

Alrock
25-Apr-12, 16:35
I don't know what your comments were, Liz, but in light of the ignorance directed at you, I'm sure they were justified.

They where fair in light of what I said, still stand by the point I was trying to make, could just have just put it a bit more tactful way instead of using someone's ailment as ammunition to get my point across.