PDA

View Full Version : Reflective Tabards

summer
16-Nov-06, 22:01
I've got a young foal and he's well bahaved and will walk along obediently at my side, he's generally ok in traffic as his field is beside a road, but it really worries him when cars pass too fast or too close.

Down south a guy was sued because he was in an accident and his reflective tabard said "caution young horse" so court decided it must be his fault as he was blantantly aware his horse was too inexperienced to be out on the road.

I wear a plain tabard with no words. But would wearing one that said "young horse" make drivers slow down to pass us? or just make me liable if something did go wrong?

Liz
16-Nov-06, 23:27
Well I would say that drivers should slow down to pass you without having to put anything on your tabard.
You are obviously following the highway code in making yourself visible in the dark.
Is there any kind of reflective items you can put on your horse?

From experience of taking my dog out for a walk in the dark I know that far too many drivers do not slow down and also some dazzle you with their headlights.:eek:
Drivers seem to think that they 'own the road'.

However, there are many who do show courtesy and really slow down a good bit before they get to us and to them I say Thanks!

groatsgirl
16-Nov-06, 23:40
I have a horse which i would consider to be bomb proof as far as horses go !! but i still wear a reflective tabard that says Please Pass Wide & Slow !! hoping it will make all motorists think twice about passing horses slowly.Although you will still unfortunately get the ones that don't care a hoot either way!!

MadPict
17-Nov-06, 01:15
Maybe something along the lines of this might be appropriate?

http://www.countrysupplies.com/item.asp?i=851

And this might be an idea -
http://www.countrysupplies.com/item.asp?i=2292

Also how about getting some LED lights as well?

In the words of the road safety message, "Be safe, be seen"....

goldenguernsey
17-Nov-06, 04:38
Surely anyone coming upon a horse on the road would automatically have the common sense to slow down and give it a wide berth?
If people really care about animals they would have consideration for a horse and rider?
Having said that, common sense is a very uncommon thing.

Max
17-Nov-06, 10:25
From experience I can confirm, no, a lot of people don't have the sense to pass horses wide and slow. Also I am also aware that some drivers moan tht horsey people are snobby and don't wave when they do pass slowly, however when you are riding it sometimes you can't hold the reins with one hand for various reasons so hopefully a smile or nod will appease everyone? (and a wave when possible)!

dozy
17-Nov-06, 11:24
Hope you find

MadPict
17-Nov-06, 13:27
That is what I suggested in my post above....
Equisafety Wrap Around Rug (http://www.countrysupplies.com/item.asp?i=2292)........

summer
17-Nov-06, 20:55
Thanks everyone,

I've been onto ebay and got some ideas of how to illuminate ourselves. I've found someone selling reflective strips with serious stickiness on the back, so I can stick it onto every headcoller/boot/rug he's ever likely to wear. He's only 7 months old so will be going through plenty the next few years.

Today as an experiment I parked my car right beside him and honked the horn at him, and he didnt even blink. So all I need now is to desensitise him to fast cars!